The Mooring Restaurant
1 Sayer's Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mooring Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mooringrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (401) 846-2260
- Hours of Operation:
Fri. & Sat. 11:30am – 10pm
Sun. – Thurs. 11:30am – 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy water views of Newport Harbor from virtually every seat. We offer three semi-private to private dining rooms and an option of outdoor private dining during the spring and summer months. Our beautifully appointed rooms are perfect for intimate gatherings, small wedding receptions or private business functions, with groups up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Picozzi 888-759-5557x
A word from The Mooring Restaurant
Located in the heart of downtown Newport's waterfront, the Mooring Seafood Kitchen & Bar provides the freshest and most creative local, regional and international fish and seafood selections, paired with an award-winning 900+ label wine list. The Mooring adheres to fresh, local and organic in many plate preparations. Enjoy true waterfront views of Narragansett Harbor as you dine at one of the best seafood restaurants in New England.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mooring Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Mooring Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
479 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (350)great for outdoor dining (288)special occasion (211)fit for foodies (187)good for groups (162)romantic (162)great for lunch (133)notable wine list (112)neighborhood gem (108)hot spot (103)vibrant bar scene (78)kid-friendly (54)great for brunch (35)late-night find (27)Show More
- ferreewDined on 11/24/2014A nice evening, the food was excellent as always. Best scallop chowder anywhere.Special Features:
- A last minute gem.adatenightDined on 11/23/2014My girl friend and I were looking for a nice place to dine for the evening. The 1st place we choose was going to close before we could get there and then we came across the Mooring Restaurant. We saw that we could make a reservation via Open Table and we did. Well did we ever do the right thing. The food was very tasty and the place felt grown up and refined enough for 2 adults. Service was professional and friendly. To any one living in RI or planning a vacation to RI I would suggest putting the place on your dinner list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUSSEXXYLYPPSVIPDined on 11/23/2014Was greeted with welcome and smiles. Sarah, Server, was excellent....personable, helpful, and professional. Loved the Wedge Salad special; you should really put it on the permanent menu! Your clam chowder is FANTASTIC! As I live out of state, I only go to The Mooring, when I am vacationing. I forgot how yummy your chowder is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service.Bridge3Dined on 11/22/2014The food was exceptional - tasty, interesting, plated beautifully. The server quite knowledgeable about menu and able to take care of my husband's severe dairy allergy. Too bad it was so cold out - the view looked amazing! Would like to come back in season (although as locals, we try to avoid the summer crowd in Newport!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I took my husband here for his birthday, he's still talking about the tuna special he had. Service was great, food was delicious, will definitely dine again on our next trip to Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerCaroline36Dined on 11/21/2014I took my mother here for her 70th Birthday!! She really enjoyed it. We had a great meal and the waitress was great!! I had asked for a dessert with a candle and the waitress brought my mother's favorite dessert!! My only complaint is that we had to ask 3 times for bread that did not arrive until half way through our salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014This is my 2nd visit. Traveled more than 1 hr. both times to have lunch with a good friend and will do it again. Great place to have a relaxing lunch. Great food and a place where old friends can have a conversation without the competition of surrounding conversations and overpowering noise level from staff and surrounding activities. Our waiter was appropriately attentive and service very good. I will and have recommended this restaurant to friends and family who understand and appreciate the pleasure of dining in a quality establishment where the clientele is center of focus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this is a place to go in the summer,mojoeDined on 11/16/2014we seat outside closed in, first seat too hot, next to heater, second seat to cold, next to window, then a boat start up and all the diesel can in, NOT A PLACE FOR THE WINTER ON OUTDOOR SPACE. INSIDE LOOK VERY VERY NICE, next time will ask to side inside, or go in the summer. food was great, service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinnergr8neccaDined on 11/15/2014Fabulous place would recommend it to anyone that is in Newport. A must try is the bag of donuts!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014We went for restaurant week and the menu was amazing. All the portions were sizable and each course was better than the last! It was an overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- richieschrisDined on 11/15/2014I has such so hopes for this lunch but was sadly disappointed, especially since I was bringing a new friend here. The chowder was good but a little salty. What can I say about the tenderloin sandwich? I've had better at Walt's Roast Beef :(. The ice cream brownie was good but there was no moistness to the brownie.
- Beautiful decor, great locationMarianneDined on 11/14/2014Found this restaurant on Trip Advisor. It definitely lived up to our expectations. Within walking distance from our hotel. Would definitely recommend to friends and family and would visit again if ever in Newport at another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Resturant Week!DrFunZDined on 11/12/2014Lunch during Restaurant Week - a great menu. Appetizer: cured salmon crostini. Excellent; not salty. Entrée: Beef Tenderloin Sandwich. flavorful w/crispy onion rings/ spicy aioli. The meat itself needed a sauce; it was dry . The fries were seasoned well, delicious. Chocolate Pretzel brownie w/ ice cream, caramel sauce. Didn't taste the pretzel, but still yummy. My friend had the Oysters and raved about them. Salmon,/spinach/red risotto- she didn't say anything about it. To me, the fish portion looked small and overcooked. I'd have sent it back. Service was good. But we had a chatty waiter which I find annoying. Just take my order, give me my food and go away until I call you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great!Jeru23Dined on 11/11/2014The food was great, and the server was really good as well. I'd recommend this place to anyone looking to have a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as always.AwesomeDined on 11/11/2014Food and service was great as it always is when we go to The Mooring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!RitaDined on 11/11/2014We went for lunch during Newport Restaurant Week. The Salmon was perfect. The clam chowder delicious. The view very special. The server was delightful and attentive. Go!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- November Restaurant WeekSMNYCDined on 11/10/2014We were pleased to see that the restaurant was crowded on a Monday during November Restaurant Week. The sun was shining and our window table was a pleasant backdrop for our lunch. The chowder did not disappoint. The salmon entree was generously portioned and tasty. Personally prefer my Cookie N Cream gelato to have more cookie chunks however it was creamy and nicely portioned to complete the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experiencebajc11Dined on 11/9/2014We went for dinner - and had a very delicious meal. The service was very professional, yet friendly without being intrusive or pretentious. No drivel about locally sourced clams from the third rock in. The chef de cuisine here seems to have a good idea of how to combine creativity and adventurousness into actual edible food. Each of the three dishes which most appealed to me had components to which I was allergic. I said this, and the server, Ashely, worked with me to select a dish which could eliminate the offending ingredient without compromising the dish. When it was served, the maitre d'hotel came to the table to assure me that the chef had supervised the prep to ensure I would have no reaction. This kind of accountability is rare. Go.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014We were visiting my girlfriends son in Newport. It was out first time in the area. The service was very good but our food was less than satisfactory. Pork chop was not seasoned. Seafood pasta was very oily and the lobster had to be returned twice because it was undercooked. Underwhelmed
- Great Saturday Night Dinner!LoRitaDined on 11/8/2014Three adults enjoyed a special birthday dinner choosing to use the Restaurant Week Menu - all of us were more than happy with all three courses! The desserts were outstanding; the best brownie combo and gelato ever! Nick, our waiter, was delightful! For a Saturday night we were not rushed and everything was served with attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport restaurant weekluvinwhatishappeningDined on 11/7/2014Never having been to The Mooring, we thought we would give it a try. Unfortunately we were disappointed. My Caesars salad was wilty, my husband's sweet potato mash came with burnt pieces, and my dessert was tasteless. We expected more for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014Great experience. Attentive service. Delicious food especially seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceABC9Dined on 11/7/2014First time to eat at this restaurant and tried during restaurant week -- food was great! One of the better places I've eaten at since being in Newport. Would definitely take out of town guests here and will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!!Food4foodieDined on 11/7/2014This was my 4th time back to this restaurant and will definitely be back again. The food is delicious and the service was very good. The restaurant gas a fun vibe around it.Special Features:
- Great Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We had a great time here. Too bad we missed the sunset. I think it would have been perfect. Our waiter, David was very accommodating and knowlegable. He had a great sense of humor and made us feel welcomed! The food was fantastic and DELISH! Next time we visit we will definitely come back to eat at the Mooring Restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerLoraDined on 11/6/2014Good food. Nicely done. Great service. What more could you ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HedonistDined on 11/5/2014We had lobster, it was very tender and tasty, one of the best we ever had.Special Features:
- LunchLunchDined on 11/5/2014i was with a client and totally enjoyed the entire experience of dining at lunch time in a relaxed manner.Special Features:
- Used a gift from the Newport Bay ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/3/2014To start with, the Newport Bay Club offered a $80 gift card to the Mooring and it was certainly worth the visit ... even though even with the gift card the bill came to over $200 with tip for two. I had a filet that was superb and the cocktails were excellent and strong. The ambiance is A1.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014We were there on a Sunday night and the food was excellent, service was tops. Such an all round classy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissappointingjagfoodDined on 11/2/2014highly rated and we are foodies. Very disappointingSpecial Features:
- Seafood findBetsytownerDined on 11/1/2014Rather large, a little noisey but an excellent and popular find for seafood in a popular seaport environment. A 'fun' dining atmosphere. We had an excellent waiter which contributed to making the evening a plus.Special Features:
- one to remember23yrsandcountingDined on 11/1/2014Our first visit to Newport. Thank goodness a friend told us to come here for dinner. Wonderful atmosphere. Lively and hoping. We had a steak and lobster dinner and the seafood pasta. Both were amazing. Our server was friendly and attentive. When we told him it was our anniversary he brought us a champagne toast. Nice touch! Would absolutely recommend and hope to make it back.Special Features:
- great Newport spotBobinNewportDined on 11/1/2014Our waitress that night was excellent- she attended to all our requests, and the food was very good and well presented. Fall is the best time to go. Make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!ProudMomDined on 10/31/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate a graduation from Naval Officer Candidate School and it was the perfect choice! We had a nice comfortable table with half booth seating for our group of six, great ambience, very attentive and accurate server who gave us plenty of time to enjoy our evening there. Everyone enjoyed the appetizers, their delicious, perfectly prepared dinners and dessert. I was very touched when our server brought our son and his girlfriend a complimentary after dinner drink to congratulate him and thank him for his service. Highly recommend The Mooring for a special celebration!Special Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The Mooring Resturant is a local gem in Newport. The food is excellent, the location is senic,and the staff and service were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Undercooked food & poor serviceajayDined on 10/25/2014The Mooring isn't an inexpensive restaurant, which is fine. But what you're getting is nowhere near what you pay for. The restaurant was busy on a Saturday night, and the service was *extremely* inattentive. The waitress would not spend more than 30 seconds at our table after dropping by to drop menus/food off. Bread was served in a non-descript brown paper bag, and dropped off in a hurry without a word. Multiple dishes weren't cooked properly (uncooked potatoes in the fish dishes, undercooked brussel sprouts in our side dish). Large restaurant, inattentive service, meh food. Go somewhere else.
- Wonderful nightNorthEnderDined on 10/25/2014My fiancé and I celebrated our engagement at the Mooring this past weekend. I called ahead to inform the restaurant of this special event and they were very accommodating. We got a great table overlooking the water. Dan, our waiter, was attentive and very professional. The food and wine was excellent. We couldn't have ask for a place to celebrate our special day.Special Features:
- great food and servicematfonDined on 10/25/2014will go back for patio dining in spring! food and service were great --Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Ambience was lovely. We were a party of four, and our server, Mary, was exceptional. Food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.