The Mooring Restaurant
1 Sayer's Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mooring Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mooringrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4018462260x
- Hours of Operation:
Fri. & Sat. 11:30am – 10pm
Sun. – Thurs. 11:30am – 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy water views of Newport Harbor from virtually every seat. We offer three semi-private to private dining rooms and an option of outdoor private dining during the spring and summer months. Our beautifully appointed rooms are perfect for intimate gatherings, small wedding receptions or private business functions, with groups up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Picozzi 888-759-5557x
A word from The Mooring Restaurant
Located in the heart of downtown Newport's waterfront, the Mooring Seafood Kitchen & Bar provides the freshest and most creative local, regional and international fish and seafood selections, paired with an award-winning 900+ label wine list. The Mooring adheres to fresh, local and organic in many plate preparations. Enjoy true waterfront views of Narragansett Harbor as you dine at one of the best seafood restaurants in New England.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mooring Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Mooring Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
574 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (441)great for outdoor dining (413)special occasion (252)fit for foodies (194)good for groups (190)romantic (186)great for lunch (157)hot spot (128)notable wine list (121)neighborhood gem (106)vibrant bar scene (101)kid-friendly (75)great for brunch (50)late-night find (35)Show More
- The MooringOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014The scallop chowder was amazing but the rest of the food was very underwhelming. Atmosphere was lovely overlooking the boats.Special Features:
- tippermmDined on 9/26/2014Excellent service and friendly staff. dinner was very good and brought to the table hot. The atmosphere is second to none. The steak was delicious and melted in my mouth. Cant wait to go back.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014THE WAITER WE HAD, NICK WAS TERRIFIC, RIGHT ON THE MARK WITH THE WINE CHOICE, AMBIANCE WAS TERRIFIC SUNSET GREAT, THE FOOD WAS AVERAGE AT BEST WE HAD SWORDFISH AND PORK, THE SWORDFISH WAS DRY AND THE PORT TASTELESS, FOR THE PRICE POINT IT WAS A 2 STAR DINING EXPERIENCE. WE ALSO MEET ANOTHER COUPLE WHO SAID THE SAME, THE WIFE HAD HAD THE SWORDFISH VERY DRYSpecial Features:
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014We are so happy we made the reservation vs. Waiting for over an hour otherwise. We will definitely go back to The Mooring...what an unbelievable food experience! Every bite was delectable and savory. Even our drinks were amazing! Our waiter was very attentive and provided excellent service. Always there on top of our needs. We will definitely recommend this place to our friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014We had an absolute wonderful time celebrating multiple events. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent!!!! Highly recommend the swordfish tacos!!Special Features:
- So disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We arrived early for our 1:30 reservation and were seated at a preferred outdoor table by 2:00. The service was prompt and friendly, but our meals were greasy, over cooked fish sandwiches and the doughnuts were overdone as well. The only well cooked meal was our granddaughter's salmon! This restaurant came highly recommended so we were very disappointed. Our fault for not sending things back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014All the seafood looked and tasted so fresh and delicious. Overall a great seafood place to go to celebrate like we did for our son's graduation for Navy Officer Candidate School. Good service and great hostesses.Special Features:
- Gorgeous view, great foodsflocalDined on 9/19/2014Had early dinner with 2 starters, shared a salad, plus dessert. We had the steak and lobster sliders - really good, but drenched in a cheddar? sauce, which overwhelmed the steak and lobster flavor. Had their famous "bag of doughnuts" (seafood fritters). The seafood (lobster, shrimp and clams) are pureed into the batter and then fried. Served with a nice spicy aoli - delicious. Dessert was GREAT, mint gelato with chocolate chunks, and a great cappucinno. The prices were very reasonable, and not more expensive than some of the other mediocre places we'd eaten earlier in the week. Other diner's meals looked great -- everyone seemed to be enjoying their food and the view.lSpecial Features:
- fabulouspickieDined on 9/18/2014Best place in its class the staff is phenomenal food is delicious the atmosphere is delightful. we try many different places and really haven't found a restaurant locally that answers to so many good quality pointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, great serviceJohnODined on 9/15/2014Would recommend this for good seafood, great view, nice drinks. Staff is top notch, very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebRnDined on 9/14/2014Great dinner, The Wait Staff were very friendly and attentive. My husband and I had a very delicious seafood dinner. I would recommend this restaurant and would definetly revisit it while in Newport RI.Special Features:
- JayLDined on 9/14/2014Consistent quality and service. Great spot right in the middle of the action. Love the Striped Bass. We have been coming to the Moorings since the early 90s. Every few years we come back to Newport and we always end up at the Moorings and never disappointed. Probably should try some of the new spots but it's hard to beat.Special Features:
- Love2cookLuv2cookDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed a wonderful evening and the service, food and atmosphere was wonderful. I would highly recommend this restaurant when in Newport.Special Features:
- Great placeNorthendGal14Dined on 9/11/2014I'm local and have gone to the Moorings many times, I had a client in town and wanted to take her to a nice place, it was the start of boat show so I knew it would be busy, made a reservation and we got right in! Food was great, service and the host at the door was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent location and mealBeeGeeDined on 9/9/2014Awesome meal! Great food at an outstanding location! Was seated right away at a great table. Services was top notch. Cant wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- djdineDined on 9/8/2014One of the best locations in Newport to dine. Lovely outdoor deck, sunset views, seafood specialties, but wonderful other choices. Have had dinner there 3 times in 2 visits to Newport - love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentToneDoggDined on 9/7/2014My wife and I were at Block Island for the day, came back late needed dinner. Made a resi on open table for 9pm. Considering how late we arrived the food, and serie was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentgsinvDined on 9/7/2014A Saturday evening dinner out with the gf. Very attentive service. For those with a food allergy, plates were checked and then delivered by a manager. Obviously wonderful seafood offerings. Tremendous views of the sun going down over the harbor. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- henmansportDined on 9/7/2014Food & service was very good. Menu - something for everyone. Polite & attentive waiter, etc. The ladies room could be cleaner.Special Features:
- Great serverTheHaaBuhDined on 9/6/2014Our server was terrific. We were a little miffed that we arrived 20 minutes early and had to wait at the bar for our table, considering our reservation was originally for 4 and we moved it to 430 (just in case) but arrived at 410; there were plenty of open tables. But once seated our server took great care of us. The food was very fresh; we had clam chowder and scallop chowder -- both warm and just as described and VG. Entrees of black fish and a protein laden salad (salmon, lobster and shrimp) were also VG. The bread was brought out in a paper bag to keep warm -- was soft and VG.Special Features:
- Great view & locationmainlakemaryDined on 9/6/2014Great view & location; staff was excellent. Food looked really great but tasted a little bland. Would recommend over other restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Great spot in Newport!EatingforfunVIPDined on 9/5/2014Excellent menu options, very fresh tasting food! Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JImBVIPDined on 9/4/2014Went for dinner to get in vacation mode after a long and frustrating travel day -- this was our first dining experience in Newport. Nestled among a number of other establishments, this one stood out for its view, the energy of the restaurant (packed on a Thursday night) and, most importantly, giving us a great and authentic "Newport" experience. Oysters from the raw bar were top-notch, and the seafood entrees (striped bass was good, sole was better) were just what we were looking for. The service, and the view from the deck at sunset, were equally great!Special Features:
- Nice place wonderful viewPaulieDined on 9/4/2014Took my wife for a birthday dinner great view nice time BUT, We both had the surf and turf and the lobster was more of the size of shrimp than a lobster. Also, we finished our salad and in seconds they served our entree. We felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top classPhilDined on 9/2/2014Great ambiance and selection of seafood. The shellfish platter was top class and at good value.Special Features:
- Great spot on the water!NAVigator8Dined on 9/2/2014We were recently visiting Newport and had a recommendation from a friend to try this restaurant. We had less than 12 hours to tour around, but I'm so glad we had lunch here. It was so nice eating while overlooking the water but not being directly in the sun. Our waiter was so friendly and attentive. I had the scallops, which came with an amazing bacon vinaigrette and pieces of lobster with it. My husband had the lobster croissant, which had a massive amount of crab. There were so many other things on the menu that I wanted to try so I hope to make it back there someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dinnerluv2dineDined on 9/1/2014My husband arrived in Newport, RI for a brief overnight. We saw that trip advisor rated the Mooring as the #1 seafood restaurant. It was very convenient to make the reservation on-line. We wanted 7:30pm which was not available but and 8:15 and 8:30 were offered in return. We arrived early and sat at the bar while waiting for our table. We were seated close to 8:15. Service was quick and efficient. I had salad with a side of lobster tale which was very good. My husband had the sole which he said was OK. He was not crazy about the flavor. He wished it had more lemon. (But he ate it all.) This is a bustling restaurant. We were in view of the kitchen doors - thankfully not adjacent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Harbor View DiningStone13VIPDined on 9/1/2014You can enjoy great views from the deck while enjoying very well prepared seafood served by a very competent wait staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014Excellent restaurant on the water in newport. One of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The MooringMelissaDined on 8/31/2014My boyfriend & I dined here Labor Day weekend on Sunday night. We requested a table outside & that's exactly what we got! We absolutely loved our table overlooking the water. It was in its own little corner, very private. The service & food were outstanding. This was our first time to Newport & would definitely eat here again in the future.Special Features:
- PerfectChristenDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed dinner here on Labor Day weekend. The service was amazing, the food was incredible and the view... We were seated on the deck overlooking the harbor. It was perfect. Highly recommend. The Mooring is a must if you are anywhere near Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Be BackOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Made a Lunch reservation at The Mooring when I was in Newport for a Wedding. Glad I made the decision to eat here and will definitely stop here again next time I am in town. Great service, great atmosphere, specifically out on the deck/patio and a great overall energy. Lobster Croissant is a must-order.Special Features:
- Lisa Lisa NJLisaLisaDined on 8/30/2014We were seated immediately for our reserved time. The wait staff was excellent as well as the food. This restaurant is definitely not a tourist trap that I'm sure everyone has experienced. Can't wait to go back. Thanks to everyone at The Mooring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport GemJRtravelsDined on 8/30/2014I visited Newport for the first time and made a reservation and The Mooring. The outdoor deck looks over the pier and the service and food was so good. Wish they had a shrimp dish but the salmon and pork were both tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014From my dirty martini, to the raw bar, to the grilled scallops, 4 stars on all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not about the food...FoodfinderVIPDined on 8/30/2014Beautiful restaurant, great outdoor seating w/ great views, but food was tasteless, boring, and everything on menu was not quite what we were looking for. Choices in appetizers were fair, but popular bag of donuts tasted fishy and you needed the dipping sauce for any flavor. Raw clams were decent. Tuna tartare needed brightness. Pasta entree was fair. Seafood pieces were plentiful, but lacking taste. Sandwhich plates were awful! Open turkey was dry, tasteless. Cod sandwhich had too much breaking to fish. Did not stay for dessert. We have tried this restaurant repeatedly over the years, because is seats big groups, and has a great view. But come for drinks, maybe the fresh bread. Too many other choices for good food in Newport.Special Features:
- Food's OK but not as good as it wasglh3VIPDined on 8/30/2014The main room and patio are lovely and the service is attentive and friendly, but the food has gone downhill. The menu rarely changes and what few changes that have occurred were inferior to what they replaced. Given the prices, the food should be better.Special Features:
- Oasis in Newport storm of peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Labor Day weekend in Newport is a climatic time for finding a place to take your family for late lunch on Saturday. The town is mobbed with tourists, residents, and boaters. Parking is at a premium and usually requires a 15 minute plus walk to any destination near Thames Street. The Mooring was a perfect choice especially when members of your party have limited mobility. There is parking available outside the front door on the wharf and the Mooring accepts reservations (very few others nearby do). It may be pricey; but it is sure worth it when you want to insure all have a good time and great food! The lobster salad is prepared perfectly!Special Features:
- If you haven't tried this...do!OhioFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014Once we got past the grumpy bartender and to our table the experience was near perfection. Our corner table on the upper patio was private, quiet, and the view was lovely. Our waitress was attentive. The food was fabulous.Special Features: