The Mooring Restaurant
1 Sayer's Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mooring Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mooringrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (401) 846-2260
- Hours of Operation:
Fri. & Sat. 11:30am – 10pm
Sun. – Thurs. 11:30am – 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy water views of Newport Harbor from virtually every seat. We offer three semi-private to private dining rooms and an option of outdoor private dining during the spring and summer months. Our beautifully appointed rooms are perfect for intimate gatherings, small wedding receptions or private business functions, with groups up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Picozzi 888-759-5557x
A word from The Mooring Restaurant
Located in the heart of downtown Newport's waterfront, the Mooring Seafood Kitchen & Bar provides the freshest and most creative local, regional and international fish and seafood selections, paired with an award-winning 900+ label wine list. The Mooring adheres to fresh, local and organic in many plate preparations. Enjoy true waterfront views of Narragansett Harbor as you dine at one of the best seafood restaurants in New England.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mooring Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Mooring Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
483 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (354)great for outdoor dining (295)special occasion (216)fit for foodies (191)good for groups (167)romantic (166)great for lunch (132)notable wine list (114)neighborhood gem (107)hot spot (104)vibrant bar scene (80)kid-friendly (56)great for brunch (35)late-night find (27)Show More
- mooringDined on 10/25/2014The Mooring is our favorite restaruant when we visit Newport, RI. Great for all sesasons! and food and service is excellent. Alwways imaccuately clean. The wine and drinks are excellent!Special Features:
- Great LocationeatingoutDined on 10/21/2014The location on the docks overlooking the boats and water in Newport makes this a special place to dine and great for sunsets. My partner had the Portuguese Roasted Cod in a most delicious broth with shellfish. My dish of Mahi Mahi wasn't quite as successful, which surprised me considering this is a seafood town. The fish was on the dry side and the vegetable hash was not that tasty even with the two sauces. However the ambiance and great service helped make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service, tasty foodTravelgalVIPDined on 10/21/2014From the moment we arrived the host made us feel welcome and special. He explained we'd have to wait a few minutes for a view table by the window. The chopped salad orange buttermilk dressing was delicious, as were the scallops.Special Features:
- fun evening!patronVIPDined on 10/21/2014Our party of four all ordered different entrées with the expert guidance of our waiter. Everyone was happy with their choices. The service was great, the food delicious, the atmosphere casually sophisticated. I learned later this is regarded as the best seafood restaurant by the locals. All in all a great first night in Newport. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014We had a wonderful time and the food was delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood water sideamateurfoodieDined on 10/20/2014We had a great dinner on the deck in the fall (they had heaters so it was very comfortable). We ordered two kinds of oysters and both were good. I had the lobster croissant which was good though not life changing. My husband ordered the fish and chips and said they were outstanding. We both enjoyed a glass of wine - the list of wined by the glass was more than adequate. The fact that they had a kids menu was a nice surprise since I did not see that on the website or on yelp.Special Features:
- Never disappointsRickDined on 10/19/2014The Moorings is a restaurant you can return to time and time again for excellent food and drink. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- Great foodMaxFish10Dined on 10/17/2014Food is so fresh. Salmon over chopped salad is wonderful. Scallop chowder is tasty and contains whole scallops. Pumpkin cheesecake was so creamy and flavorful. Service was very friendly and attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood at the MooringConnecticutguyDined on 10/17/2014Based on other reviews, we ordered the bag of fritters to start. A terrific beginning: fritters made with various shellfish. For entrees, I had the Georges Banks Scallops. Wonderful! We were too stuffed to try the desserts but they sounded and looked wonderful. A large restaurant on the wharf. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it.GRRBVIPDined on 10/14/2014My wife @ I look for a high end restaurants when we travel (7 wk. in ’13). Over the years, we have dined in NYC, Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, L.A., San Francisco, Beverly Hills and Las Vegas. This Newport restaurant is not one of them. There are many others in Newport that are far better. On a Tuesday night it was very noisy (mostly locals). Our server was very good but her support staff was slow and made mistake. The server did not charge us for 2 Cappuccinos because of these short comings. The parking lot is not theirs, so you must pay for parking. During our stay, The Moorings was our 5th Newport restaurant and was by far a distant 8th and not worth the few dollars you may save!
- wonderful dining experiencesouthsalemDined on 10/12/2014Family of 5 with 3 boys 15, 12 and 8. Server was fantastic and attentive. Raw food was fresh and flavorful - though I am not a fan of serving the horseradish and coctail sauce pre-mixed. Seafood doughnuts were great. Seafood dishes were very good. Steak was just ok. All and all a great experience and a must go when visiting Newport.Special Features:
- TeddyDined on 10/12/2014This is our idea of Newport dining at its best, we will realy enjoy this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great seafood menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014Good food quality and server was very helpful in selecting dishes as well as wines that complimented our dinner choices.Special Features:
- Dinner Out!StarFish5Dined on 10/12/2014Great food, an amazing view and fantastic service! Made reservations with Open Table a month in advance of a planned weekend in Newport. Love love love that the Moorings has a Gluten Free menu .. I had a crabcake that was delicious as an appetizer! Great martini's and specialty drinks too! We will definitely be back whenever we go to Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic, Solid Seafood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014The Mooring is a fantastic seafood restaurant that offers fresh and wonderfully prepared dishes. Romantic views can be had on the outside porch with beautiful views of the harbor. Service was attentive and punctual, but not overbearing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Food was good, nothing special, but ok. Nice atmosphere on the water. Service wasn't that great. Price was expected for NewportSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/10/2014The Mooring..always a great meal/ambiance/wait staff/wine list...everything is always perfect here! Go for lunch/dinner, it doesn't matter, you will ALWAYS walk out HAPPY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and adequateReinsureregVIPDined on 10/5/2014Service was slow, food adequate, view spectacular. Can recommend the bar as a nice place for a cocktail. My daughter liked her burger as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view plus gluten free menu!checkoutmymelodyDined on 10/4/2014especially considering the location, i was impressed by the quality and value of the food. arrived early and waited in the spacious bar with delicious cocktails. table was ready on time. gluten free menu includes gluten free rolls to start - a real rarity! overall a great experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I have been to the Moorings a few times and always liked it but last Saturday night was not very good. Friends of ours joined us for the weekend in Newport and we recommended that we dine there. I had the scallops which came out lukewarm along with some sort of side on the plate which was mushy and tasteless. My husband had the swordfish which was tough and dry. My girlfriend had the salmon which was also lukewarm and was served on a bed of tasteless black bean mush. Her husband had the mahi mahi special and was the only one who enjoyed his meal. It was also very warm in the restaurant with no ac to cool it down and way too noisy. Our server, however was great. Unfortunately, we won't go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014The only problem my group of 6 encountered was after the appetizers it took over an hour to get the entrée. The place is beautiful and we had a great waitress who kept apologizing we knew it was not her fault she was excellent.Special Features:
- Newport Delightluv2visitnewportDined on 10/2/2014The wine and food choices are always outstanding. Make sure to always check ou the specials for that evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryBarryDined on 10/2/2014I mentioned to the waitress that it was our anniversary and was given complementary dessert and tea/coffee. Nice touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood havenBlessedmanDined on 9/29/2014Terrific location on The Warf in the middle of all the action. Looks out onto the water. Great food. Would return in a second.Special Features:
- Moorings NewportDinnerb4stonesconcertVIPDined on 9/29/2014The Moorings was great. The location and view is outstanding. Right on the marina. Watching the boats sail in and out. We had an early dinner with a 5 month old baby. The staff was outstanding, accommodating us in every possible way. Our server was empathetic and kind, while very efficient. We all had dinner salads.... the one with the salmon, lobster and shrimp was outstanding. We split a creme brulee and the entire experience was wonderful. Very nice job.Special Features:
- The MooringOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014The scallop chowder was amazing but the rest of the food was very underwhelming. Atmosphere was lovely overlooking the boats.Special Features:
- Very nice dinner!PeterVDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I went to the Mooring on our first night in Newport. The food was very good and the staff was wonderful! They changed our dinning reservation to a later time on very short notice and gave us a table on the water!!! The food and our server was wonderful. We will return to the Mooring on our next trip to Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tippermmDined on 9/26/2014Excellent service and friendly staff. dinner was very good and brought to the table hot. The atmosphere is second to none. The steak was delicious and melted in my mouth. Cant wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great ServiceDinnerDadDined on 9/26/2014Our waiter was very knowledgeable and had great suggestions on the menu. The restaurant is situated right by the water in the Wharf. We went with our 10 month old. The staff were very kind and alert to our needs. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING SERVICEBAGPIPER24Dined on 9/26/2014THE WAITER WE HAD, NICK WAS TERRIFIC, RIGHT ON THE MARK WITH THE WINE CHOICE, AMBIANCE WAS TERRIFIC SUNSET GREAT, THE FOOD WAS AVERAGE AT BEST WE HAD SWORDFISH AND PORK, THE SWORDFISH WAS DRY AND THE PORT TASTELESS, FOR THE PRICE POINT IT WAS A 2 STAR DINING EXPERIENCE. WE ALSO MEET ANOTHER COUPLE WHO SAID THE SAME, THE WIFE HAD HAD THE SWORDFISH VERY DRYSpecial Features:
- Waterfront GemFood4UrSoulDined on 9/25/2014Right on the harbor in Newport - location cannot be beat. Large outside covered deck seating available. 2 large bars. Beautiful inside dining & private rooms available too. Food was good. Hostesses not the most accommodating though. Seemed like they only wanted to seat the 'beautiful' people. Waiter was very nice though.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014We are so happy we made the reservation vs. Waiting for over an hour otherwise. We will definitely go back to The Mooring...what an unbelievable food experience! Every bite was delectable and savory. Even our drinks were amazing! Our waiter was very attentive and provided excellent service. Always there on top of our needs. We will definitely recommend this place to our friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014We had an absolute wonderful time celebrating multiple events. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent!!!! Highly recommend the swordfish tacos!!Special Features:
- So disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We arrived early for our 1:30 reservation and were seated at a preferred outdoor table by 2:00. The service was prompt and friendly, but our meals were greasy, over cooked fish sandwiches and the doughnuts were overdone as well. The only well cooked meal was our granddaughter's salmon! This restaurant came highly recommended so we were very disappointed. Our fault for not sending things back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014All the seafood looked and tasted so fresh and delicious. Overall a great seafood place to go to celebrate like we did for our son's graduation for Navy Officer Candidate School. Good service and great hostesses.Special Features:
- Gorgeous view, great foodsflocalDined on 9/19/2014Had early dinner with 2 starters, shared a salad, plus dessert. We had the steak and lobster sliders - really good, but drenched in a cheddar? sauce, which overwhelmed the steak and lobster flavor. Had their famous "bag of doughnuts" (seafood fritters). The seafood (lobster, shrimp and clams) are pureed into the batter and then fried. Served with a nice spicy aoli - delicious. Dessert was GREAT, mint gelato with chocolate chunks, and a great cappucinno. The prices were very reasonable, and not more expensive than some of the other mediocre places we'd eaten earlier in the week. Other diner's meals looked great -- everyone seemed to be enjoying their food and the view.lSpecial Features:
- fabulouspickieDined on 9/18/2014Best place in its class the staff is phenomenal food is delicious the atmosphere is delightful. we try many different places and really haven't found a restaurant locally that answers to so many good quality pointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, great serviceJohnODined on 9/15/2014Would recommend this for good seafood, great view, nice drinks. Staff is top notch, very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebRnDined on 9/14/2014Great dinner, The Wait Staff were very friendly and attentive. My husband and I had a very delicious seafood dinner. I would recommend this restaurant and would definetly revisit it while in Newport RI.Special Features: