107 D Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themonocle.com/
- Phone: (202) 546-4488
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: Lunch 11:30am to 3:45pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm and Bar service 11:30am until closing. Open weekends for special events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Hector Toyos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Special Events: Soft Shell Crab Festival...coming soon later in April. Local Soft Shell Crabs prepared three ways. with rocket salad, as a sandwich with chipotle mayo or pan roasted with pinot grigio & citrus butter sauce-toasted sliced almonds.
A word from The Monocle
The closest restaurant to the Capitol building,United States Senate and Union Station, The Monocle is not only known as a Washington institution, but also for its fine American cuisine. You can always count on being served great crab-cakes, grilled fresh fish, steaks and chops, while enjoying the powerful political scenery. The private room upstairs is a Washington classic for private parties and political fundraisers. More than 6 please call 202-546-4488 since NOT accepted by open table reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Monocle - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
The Monocle reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (17)neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (12)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (6)fit for foodies (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- the essence of political WashingtonTomandMaryVIPDined on 11/19/2014steps from the US Capitol - a heartbeat away from the center of power with great food and superb serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review of The MonocleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014The Monocle is one of my favorite restaurants. It is near my home and i have patronized the establishment for many years. I frequent the Monocle often and take friends and guests there to dine. I always recommend the Monocle to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School Steak and Seafood HouseporchnapperVIPDined on 11/7/2014I have lived in DC for 40 years, but somehow had never dined at the Monocle. Food-wise, it is an old school steak and seafood house. Perfectly good; no surprises. What really stood out for me was the vibe at the bar and the service. The bar feels like it hasn't changed in decades. Don Draper and Frank Underwood would be equally comfortable there. I wished I had time to linger. Most outstanding was the service. Vigilant older waiters with impeccable timing. The decor probably needs a facelift, but I would change anything else.Special Features:
- always dependable!dclingVIPDined on 11/7/2014Love the Monocle. I know there will be good food and good service. The location can't be beat if you are doing business in the Senate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2014Food, service, and atmosphere excellent. Noise level low enough to permit good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningtombriceDined on 10/28/2014I had from friends that this was the place to go for dinner if your a political animal. the food was excellent and the service was great. had a wonderful dinner and fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC in the dayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014Liked the old timey vibe. Not your modern, trendy type place, but friendly people, old timey atmosphere, good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff was very attentive & fastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014It was a very quiet night and the staff was very attentive and let us eat at our own pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CeCeDined on 10/2/2014Great bread and the food was sooo good. The liver and onions was good. The cheesecake was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Great Restaurants in DCSpringleDined on 9/29/2014Top political hangout in DC. Great food, service, etc. People really care for the diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceLuckycharms412VIPDined on 9/22/2014While the service was great and the food was fine, it was not worth the price. I had the short rib and my husband had the Delmonico steak and we were both underwhelmed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Superb dining experience. Food quality was excellent and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyed itGardensgirlDined on 8/15/2014Received a gift certificate from the restaurant itself for a prior reservation misshap. It was no big deal to us, but definitely placed The Monacle above and beyond with regards to customer service. Unbeknownst to us, we were there on the last night of restaurant week. Unlike other restaurants, they pretty much let you pick anything off the menu and the serving portions are regular size. Another big kudo! The food was very good and filling; the waiter was outstanding (I think he was giddy for having the next two weeks off!). Street parking was readily available and FREE! I would recommend this restaurant for the novelty of it (being on Capitol Hill) and the customer service. Food is good too. Great dining spot for businessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousKrivas91Dined on 8/14/2014Place definitely has an older air to it, but is cozy. We started with some awesome, fluffy bread. Had the grilled shrimp over pesto beans (decent) and calamari with red-pepper aioli (classic, very good) for appetizers. For our entrees I had the Crab Conrad and my husband had the Filet Mignon- we were very pleased with our tasty dishes, and we both agreed when heating up the leftovers for lunch (there was plenty) that they were just as good the second time around. Dessert - we both had to have the creme brulee - also an excellent classic that was delicious! Service was good; our waiter was pretty funny and easy-going. Definitely recommend checking this place out, although we checked it out during Restaurant Week (awesome prices).Special Features:
- The Monocle deliversRayGDined on 8/12/2014A very pleasant dinner out. Food was very good and we will go back.Special Features:
- Love the monoclelindsaysarahVIPDined on 8/11/2014Love the monocle, hope it never changes!! Always so welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KV413Dined on 8/11/2014We went for restaurant week and everything was absolutely fantastic. The server recommended a lemon pie for dessert and I usually hate anything lemon flavored but i ended up trading desserts with one of my girlfriends bc it was so good! The service was excellent and the decor was nice and inviting. A great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Washington institutionKittyVIPDined on 8/11/2014The food was very good. I would recommend the filet. The seafood bisque was outstanding. The only downside is that we were swatting fruit flies the entire time which was a bit annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/30/2014Food was delicious. Air conditioning was unsatisfactory, as it was not comfortable. Too warm!Special Features:
- The following 412 reviews are from the The Monocle reviews archive.
- Business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2014'The Mon' can't be beat for location and convenience on the Senate side of The Hill, but the food and service, while passable, leave room for improvement. On the plus side, I like that the management is always on duty, and quick to greet and seat you. Started with the Paradise Salad, which I enjoy, but get the dressing on the side, as it's otherwise drenched. Also had what was essentially chicken picatta, which was fairly tasteless and dry, served with a strangely gigantic side of arugula. Salads for others at the table were drenched in oil. Service was ok, but mechanical, and it was difficult to understand the waiter as he explained the specials.
- A favorite!Loraa444Dined on 7/18/2014Wow! After finding this restaurant by searching online for highly recommended places in DC, we booked a dinner reservation. It was quiet when we were there at 7:30 on a Friday night because the "boys on the hill" weren't in session. The food was amazing and our server incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DC ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/15/2014The Monocle is a favorite lunch spot for D.C. lobbyists, hearkening back to the grand old days when things were more civil on Capitol Hill. A friend and I enjoyed a lovely, leisurely lunch there recently. The food is consistently good, the service gracious. Strongly recommended for anyone who prefers timeless quality to trendy cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveDined on 7/11/2014WE WERE FOUR GUESTS AND THREE OF US ASKED FOR THE LIVER (TWO DEDIUM RARE- ONE MEDIUM DONE) uNFORTUNATELY, ALL WERE OVER DONE BUT THE MEDIUM DONE AND WHEN RETURNED, THEY ADVISED US THAT THERE WERE NO MORE FOR US TO HAVE... THEY HAD RAN OUT OF LIVER. THEN ONE PERSON HAD CHICKEN THE OTHER THE SHRIMP PASTA. BUT IT WAS NOT WHAT WE WENT THERE FOR. IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY AND I HAD SUGGESTED THIS RESTAURANT TO MY FRIENDS THAT HAD NEVER BEEN THERE... A FAILURE. HOWEVER, THE RESTAURANT GAVE US ONE DESSERT ON THE HOUSE...Special Features:
- The Monocle is not to be missedMythoughtsDined on 7/7/2014John Valanos and his restaurant team provide a phenomenal experience for restaurateurs. I contacted the restaurant to let them know that I would be bringing my wife into DC for my birthday. The Monocle made the experience something she will never forget. The special touches and great service made my birthday celebration special. The food was prepared perfectly. The history associated with the restaurant is very obvious with signed pictures and "wall" quotes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnremarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014All aspects of the restaurant were very good with the exception of the food which was unremarkable
- Delish Dinner at legendary MonocleMSE1210VIPDined on 5/19/2014I met two folks who work on Capitol Hill at the legendary Monocle. The restaurant is a Capitol Hill landmark, and you can feel the Washington political history as you walk in and eat there. Maître d’ Nick Selimos does a phenomenal job making every guest feel important and welcomed. They had terrific seafood options that evening, and their signature steaks as always. We had a couple of the fresh and crisp salads. The New York steak was phenomenal. Wine by the glass is reasonably priced and good. Service was very friendly and professional. But they also had the good sense to allow us to chat. It is a terrific place, and if you find anything about the Washington DC political scene interesting... this is a must try place. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always welcomingpeggyDined on 5/13/2014It is always a treat to return to the Monocle. The staff is "over the top".Special Features:
- Had a tired feelEconmaineDined on 5/13/2014I have been to this spot many times over the years. It is a well known political destination. Our experience was adequate but the menu and everything else had a weary feel to it. We are not likely to repeat.
- Great DC restaurant!ImpressedVIPDined on 5/7/2014I last dined at The Monocle back in 1973. Can't remember what I ordered back then. Had the Crab Conrad this time which I will certainly remember; a generous serving of crab chunks on a portobello mushroom with pancetta and spinach. My wife had the lamb which was also very tasty. Service, like the food, was excellent. This is a very popular restaurant and a reservation is a must. If I am back in DC, I will certainly go back to The Monocle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Dining, Distinctive ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/7/2014Dining at The Monocle is always a special experience--great steaks, seafood, homemade soups, and specials all served in a cozy setting with outstanding service. The political memorabilia and photos on the walls help to explain why it is such a popular restaurant on Capitol Hill. Located within walking distance of Union Station, it is conveniently located near the Capitol and Senate office buildings. The staff is unfailingly courteous, friendly, and professional. I especially enjoy bringing good friends and relatives there for lunch. Highly recommended at the top of my list of favorite and distinctive restaurants for a memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- Special for business/pleasure lunchTommyDined on 5/7/2014I have visited The Monocle on a number of occasions when I have been able to combine my trips with business on The Hill and pleasure in The City. Each lunch/dinner has been outstanding in terms of food choices/taste, wines, ambience and service. Everyone has demonstrated a professional approach coupled with a great personality (and sometimes a bit of humor!!) when dealing with their customers. Try it, believe me, you will like it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAM1210Dined on 5/6/2014Well known restaurant lives up to its billing....I had heard of The Monocle as an upscale steak place where people like to congregate, and with an 'A' list of political patrons. After a humorous semantics episode with the taxi driver (who said he knew exactly where The Monocle was....then proceeded to drop me off at The Monaco Hotel!!), I had enjoyable 15 minute walk to the restaurant. The friendly staff also had a good laugh, saying that this happens often.....so beware, and ensure that the taxi driver really knows where he's going!!!! The service was great....friendly and knowledgeable....and the food was top notch (notably the Wedge salad and the large Rib-eye steak). Overall, I can see why so many folks recommend The Monocle.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2014The food and service were both some of the best in DC. The only problem was the noise--a boisterous table of staffers near us loudly laughing and joking about all the Kennedy deaths, affairs, etc. Their loudness and comments were totally unwelcome and they should have been asked to tone it down. We will definitely make this restaurant our must dinner places when in DC. It was our anniversary and our waiter made us feel very special.Special Features:
- Wowjk23VIPDined on 4/18/2014Everything was spectacular. Staff extremely helpful and vibrant. You could just feel the history of the place. Had a great time and will go out of our way to get back to the restaurant. Fun bar/lunch menu which they let my kids order from so they felt a welcomed as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDinneroutVIPDined on 4/16/2014I needed a nice, easy place to take my father and elder brother for dinner during their visit, and since they were staying near the Capitol, I wanted to stay within an easy walk to their hotel. The Monocle had never been on my radar before, but I was very pleased with the food, and the service was beyond impeccable. We felt like we were the only people in the place, but there were groups all around us. I would definitely return. The only challenge was that my father was so busy looking at all the photos upstairs, when he went to the restroom, that he missed the arrival of his food. His own fault, but if you have an "easily distracted diner", advise them not to go upstairs when you think the food is about to arrive.Special Features:
- What you'd expect12345Dined on 4/10/2014Power place, power food, appropriately brusque staff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid weekendsCenadorVIPDined on 4/4/2014This place might be a good option on a weekday but not for a Friday night. The place was empty and the food wasn't great for the prices that we paid.
- Birthday DinnerDavidDined on 3/28/2014Excellent service and food. Great history and the Owner and Maitre De spent time visiting with us in an unobtrusive manner. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monocle is the CapitolOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/25/2014Where every restaurant scene in Scandel ought to be filledSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Capitol Hill RestaurantJohnDined on 3/21/2014Consistently the most reliable restaurant on Capitol Hill for good food, great service and a lively political crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.