107 D Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themonocle.com/
- Phone: (202) 546-4488
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: Lunch 11:30am to 3:45pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm and Bar service 11:30am until closing. Open weekends for special events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Hector Toyos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Special Events: Soft Shell Crab Festival...coming soon later in April. Local Soft Shell Crabs prepared three ways. with rocket salad, as a sandwich with chipotle mayo or pan roasted with pinot grigio & citrus butter sauce-toasted sliced almonds.
A word from The Monocle
The closest restaurant to the Capitol building,United States Senate and Union Station, The Monocle is not only known as a Washington institution, but also for its fine American cuisine. You can always count on being served great crab-cakes, grilled fresh fish, steaks and chops, while enjoying the powerful political scenery. The private room upstairs is a Washington classic for private parties and political fundraisers. More than 6 please call 202-546-4488 since NOT accepted by open table reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Monocle - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
The Monocle reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (17)neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (12)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (6)fit for foodies (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- A friend and I went for theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2008A friend and I went for the Washington Restaurant Week. Had a wonderful time at dinner. Their menu for restaurant week was very large. If you couldn't find something you were interested in, it wasn't the Monocle's fault. Food was excellent. The service was top rate. I would go back without hesitation.Special Features:
- Food was good, but waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/13/2008Food was good, but waiter kept pushing high-priced entrees, and did not want to honor Restaurant Week price ($20.08) on lunch. If a restaurant is going to participate, all waiters should be told to accommodate diners wanting to have the special.Special Features:
- Terrific place to eat - goodCalFoodieDined on 7/28/2008Terrific place to eat - good food (albeit a bit pricey)and very friendly/patient staff. The wine list is terrific and the steaks are succulent. Special note - I took a few international customers (from Italy) to dinner and needed transportation back to hotels in the area. Rather than call a taxi, the restaraunt owner(Mr Valanos)drove us to the hotel. Where in the world can you get this type of service? My customers were amazed as was I. The Monocle is a definate must visit - I will certainly be back the next time I am in DC. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra money for a fantastic dining experience at The Monocle.Special Features:
- Overpriced for what we got.GrossePointer48230VIPDined on 7/18/2008Overpriced for what we got. Good location, but that's about all to recommend it.
- Diners are always assuredOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2008Diners are always assured of good food and good service at the Monocle. I've never been disappointed.Special Features:
- The Monocle's menu is notOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2008The Monocle's menu is not extensive but the food is always good and the roasted oysters were a real treat. The wait staff is first rate, efficient and friendly. The restaurant has the added bonus of attracting a who's who of politics, making it a great place for people watching.Special Features:
- The menu was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/2/2008The menu was outstanding. The meals were very delicious. The service was very attentive and kind.Special Features:
- Food was extremely salty-OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2008Food was extremely salty- every dish suffered from a heavy hand with the salt. Overall however our experience was pleasurable as the staff from host to busboy made us feel like we were at a private club for members only. They greeted us by name when we arrived for the reservation as if they had been waiting for us. We were scheudled to attend a graduation ball nearby and dressed in tuxedo - so they immediately inquired about our event and congratulated our graduate with a complimentary drink. They were friendly without being intrusive. The location was perfect for our night's plans. I wish the food had been more enjoyable, as I then could give the evening a 10, as it is, unless the location is important to you, I would not return.
- We visited on a Saturday nightGrahamaVIPDined on 5/10/2008We visited on a Saturday night when there are no politicians to be seen. It was pleasant; but not the "find" my Frommer's billed it to be.
- I enjoyed my dinner thereCassandraDined on 5/9/2008I enjoyed my dinner there very much. My friends and I have been looking for a nice restaurant with good food near the Folger Theatre, and I think this is it.Special Features:
- Overall the dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2008Overall the dining experience was good. The waiter kept insisting we order dessert which was annoying....Special Features:
- Any one who has dined at theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/30/2008Any one who has dined at the Monocle knows this, but it's a great lunch place when you're doing business on the Hill. The staff is efficient and friendly. They'll get you in and out if that's what your schedule dictates. The ambience is great if you have the time to slow down a bit to enjoy.Special Features:
- A little expensive for lunch.OTvipNdcVIPDined on 4/29/2008A little expensive for lunch. A place to see Members of Congress, their staff, and top lobbyists.Special Features:
- It's the perfect "close inOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/24/2008It's the perfect "close in to the Capitol" business lunch place.Special Features:
- Our reservation was for dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/16/2008Our reservation was for dinner, but I've been there for lunch, which is better. Noise level is high, but this is a Capitol Hill watering hole with much back-slapping and table-hopping, so you go in knowing that. In spite of the fact that we had booked weeks early, we were seated way in the back, by the kitchen door. Plate clattering and kitchen noises were unsettling. The food is consistently good, but I feel as if the portions are getting smaller.Special Features:
- I am regular at Monocle, andDCMRobbyVIPDined on 4/16/2008I am regular at Monocle, and usually have no problems with service; this day however, that was not the case. Even with reservations, we waited a long time to be seated, and the it took forever to just get beverage service. The food is always worth it. The wait staff is consistently friendly and attentive. Perhaps this day was an exception. It won't stop me from going back, but day I had a business lunch and invited others to "impress" them with my Monocle friends. The food impressed, but the service did not. I still love the place and will go back again, but may do with hesitation depending on why I'm going there for lunch!
- I met a friend who came toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2008I met a friend who came to town on Amtrack and we wanted to get lunch. We had a great experience and wonderful time. Didn't feel a bit rushed. It was great.Special Features:
- Location to the U.S. SenateOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/16/2008Location to the U.S. Senate makes this restaurant perfect for business lunches.Special Features:
- I have dined here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/15/2008I have dined here many times and it is always an enjoyable experience. The liver nad onions is the best I have had dining out.Special Features:
- Reliably good food that isOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/9/2008Reliably good food that is nothing imaginiative or fancy. Even us foodies enjoy a no nonesense Greek salad. Good place for a business lunch where the staff understand about when to leave people alone and when to offer service.
- A wonderful value for theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2008A wonderful value for the price, which is competitive with other Capitol Hill restaurants, and the food is much better quality and attention to detail than most.Special Features:
- Warm greeting. Attentive service.JucearoDined on 4/3/2008Warm greeting. Attentive service. Rounded menu. Great food.Special Features:
- I always enjoy eating at theJED3Dined on 4/1/2008I always enjoy eating at the Monocle. Defintely a political "to be seen" place. The folks there are very friendly, although the service sometimes lacks. I do enjoy the menu and the space.Special Features:
- The perfect representationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008The perfect representation of a restaurant that embodies "The Capital" area of Washington, DC with outstanding food and service.Special Features:
- Thank you for a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2008Thank you for a wonderful dinner. Everything was delicious, and the service superb! Although I am embarrassed to admit I do not remember our server's name, he was from Greece and couldn't have been more attentive or more charming. Bravo!Special Features:
- Amazing food!! specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2008Amazing food!! special treatment if you are a Hill staffer. Great wine list as well.Special Features:
- good food and great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2008good food and great experience for restaurant week. would go again with coworker, supervisor or conservative family member.
- I love this restaurant! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/15/2008I love this restaurant! Great food, service ... and there's always an interesting group of people. It's always full and the atmosphere is very cozy, but without making you feel uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Our server was amazing ...KyleeVIPDined on 12/31/2007Our server was amazing ... one of the best we have ever experienced. He was charming, helpful, and kind. We to the Monocle for an early New Years Eve dinner (2007). The restaurant was quiet that night, which lent to a romantic atmosphere. The food was very good. But, the service is what really stood out. I will return.Special Features:
- Great location near the Senate.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/20/2006Great location near the Senate. Overall, a good spot for Capitol Hill business meetings and events. Mediocre menu and food.
- Great food, fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/30/2006Great food, fantastic service served in a hall that should be considered another landmark! We will definitely be back!Special Features: