The Mongolie Grill - South Side
3345 Calgary Trail
Edmonton, AB T6J 6V1Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Mongolie Grill - South Side
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themongoliegrill.com/
- Phone: (780) 466-0823
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Mongolie Grill - South Side
The Mongolie Grill is a unique family restaurant where you get to channel your inner chef. Customize your own delicious stir-fry at our food bar that is stocked with premium ingredients like freshly picked vegetables, prime meats and seafood, and homemade sauces. There are countless flavour combinations, so get creative! The result is a tasty and healthy meal that is cooked up by our grill masters just for you. Come join us for lunch and dinner, or place your order online for pick up. We look forward to seeing you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Mongolie Grill - South Side - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
The Mongolie Grill - South Side reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Fun eveningGroovyGirlDined on 11/10/2014We went on a Monday night with a small group of women, many who had not been to the Mongolie before. Haha ... they'll all be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Dinnerrhk14Dined on 11/9/2014Food was good, but making choices of what to put in your bowl was tough. It would have been nice to see a list of all the proteins, a list of all the vegetables, a list of all the sauces and a list of all the condiments that you could put in. This list should be at the table so that you can pre-determine what to put in your bowl, and make the final decision when you get to the buffet tables. Overall, an enjoyable evening even though we had to come at 4:00 PM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service this timetravellincanuckDined on 10/5/2014We frequent this restaurant and the service this time was really bad. Restaurant was not busy, waitress hardly came around. Saw her twice in 45 minutes, forgot to bring us our appetizer. Food was good as always just took a long time. We usually get great service in the restaurant, so hopefully the next time we go back, we will find it back to the norm. I still tipped her, but later thought I shouldn't have.Special Features:
- Great Franchise, Okay LocationColinDined on 9/29/2014The franchise gets a 4 (as far as franchises go), this location gets a 3. I love the Mongolie Grill. It's the only place I know of that accommodates the fussiest person in your group and the most adventurous at the same time. This particular location? Meh. The food is frozen, not fresh, which they could conceal better by allowing the food adequate time to thaw before putting it out. Service is hit-and-miss, but it's always been friendly. One thing, they used to have these rice wraps that you could wrap your stir-fry in. They got rid of these, but I heard last night that they still have them in other locations? What gives? BRING BACK THE WRAP! BRING BACK THE WRAP! BRING BACK THE WRAP!Special Features:
- Food was good, but it took foreverlovetryingnewplacesDined on 9/13/2014I went to the Mongolie Grill with 4 other friends and although the food was very good - we waited for almost an hour for our food! The wait time was unacceptable. I am not sure that I would want to go here again because of that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Received wrong orderanonymousDined on 9/13/2014We booked an early reservation (6 pm) for 7 people. Albeit a Friday and busy, the restaurant itself was not really busy until 7 pm. Only TWO people at our table received the correct order. We had to speak with the manager to sort it out. They gladly offered to replace the incorrect orders, but WHO wants to sit and wait for a replacement dish when you have already waited the better part of an hour for your first dish? They did provide most of the supplements to the meal that were missing at no charge, but frankly it will make us reconsider dining there again. On the plus side, the waitress was friendly, helpful, and efficient.
- The following 68 reviews are from the The Mongolie Grill - South Side reviews archive.
- NeverAgainDined on 6/14/2014Horrible and way over priced. $30 I ended up paying for my meal and I left hungry. Hardly any rice and the rice wraps they gave us were hard in areas. I would not recommend Mongolie Grill to anyone nor will I return.Special Features:
- A Miss this TimeOccasionalmunchDined on 6/7/2014We love eating here as it's the cleanest way to eat out that there is in our opinion. However there were three things that really dampened our dinner this time. First is that the bowls were changed permanently to the Tuesday small lunch size; so disappointing! Can't even get the proper sauces in the bowl, everything falls out. Second is our server was very inattentive to the point where she was literally picking out her own food in line while she was supposed to be serving people. Third is that they were doing work on the roof I guess and all we saw was small Styrofoam bits snowing from the air intake all dinner. Not even kidding, it was snowing in there landing on everything even the grill. Very unsafe and off-putting.
- Great for groupsOK2dineDined on 6/7/2014Great for picky eaters and those with food requirements. Its a unique experience and difficult to mess up. If your meal doesnt live up to your standard, you have no one to blame but yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KwfiDined on 5/31/2014Good selection of vegetables, meat and condiments. Coconut rice was deliciousSpecial Features:
- DarkLemonDined on 4/24/2014There didn't appear to be many diners, but service was incredibly slow, both food and in general. The server asked us if we wanted dessert before our food had arrived, and he wasn't even aware that we had not had our food. The soup was cold. There wasn't enough rice.
- Great for Date NightpdshadowDined on 4/3/2014Great selection of both veg and meat. Service was quick, and our server was extremely polite and helpful. It was our first time, and she explained everything we needed to know. being able to have as much or as little is perfect for people that are watching what they eat. We'll definitely be going back again!!Special Features:
- Delicious!KidagiDined on 3/28/2014Excellent food, used a groupon so for 4 of us it was only $25! Great deal, will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a double dateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Lots of time to chat between getting your bowl filled up and it being cooked. No limit comp soups was a nice touch.it would be nice to have had chicken but they ran out,and the beef was grey from oxidation..... We still ate it though. I would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's dinnerOccasionalmunchDined on 2/14/2014For one of the busiest days of the year they handled the volume well, good food and good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceMaraeDined on 2/14/2014The food was delicious. I found it a little pricey for a stir fry but the experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day was Fab!NotahappycamperDined on 2/14/2014Had a great deal for Valentines Day at the Mongolie Grill! Great service, great food, all in all a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I had never been before and had high expectation our server was super nice and personable! The food was outstanding great amount of choices and different sauces! Overall exceeded my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While the food was certainlyDivasDined on 2/7/2014While the food was certainly acceptable, it has become very expensive since the last time we visited, about a year ago. The same meal that cost almost $30 this visit, would have been no more than $15. last time. Also, some members of our party found items on their plates that they had not included in their selections. In two of the meals, a small amount of ginger that had been selected, was concentrated in one part of the meal and not as well combined with the whole bowl as we had expected. We will likely return, but it will be for more of a special occasion than our regular monthly dinner out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Time!NotahappycamperDined on 1/19/2014I have become an addict to the Mongolie Grill. Great food. great service…what more can you ask for??? With the option of using the Open Table service, it's nice to be able to just walk in, and your table is ready for you. Couldn't be happier!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got 2 luvRaybonDined on 1/3/2014It was great ,the food was exactly what you want,because you pick out every bit of it.They just cook what you choice.Super friendly staff ,made it very enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?!?NotahappycamperDined on 12/13/2013Can here on December 13th with a group of friends. We were seated quickly (had a reservation through Open Table) Food was great, well cooked, and hot. I found the price not to bad for what I ate. I don't know where people are getting that it was so expensive?!?! It will get expensive if your eating strictly meat…and personally there are better places for meat then here. I was impressed with the service, and the upbeat nature of all the staff. Great place to come for a simple dinner. Try the Chango's for desert!!! Mmmm!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was excellent.WladimirDined on 10/14/2013The service was excellent. The selection of food items was tremendous, the grill was worth taking a picture of (and we did). Would definitely return to this location and recommend to friends and relatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleBrockDined on 10/5/2013Our server was not goood, Kept cutting me off when I would ask questions. The rice was undercooked and hard and the stir fry was really overcooked. Asked for extra sauce and it didn't come until we had finished eating. Not even close to value for the cost. Find a good Asian restaurant instead of here.
- Always a great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2013Great concept, cooked good, amazing service. Can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2013Wow, we had not been to the Mongolie Grill in a long time... We were rather shocked at how expensive our meals were. Good food, but not for the cost. Each stir fry cost approx $25. Now I know why it was empty and easy to get in on a Friday night.
- Great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2013Can't go wrong here food is great and cook very well. Highly recommend this place for dinner.Special Features:
- good healthy foodElenaDined on 6/15/2013all options right in front of you. Create your own meal by picking your choice of vegies, meet, sea products, sauce, which will be grilled for you in 5 min.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- and repeatken0001VIPDined on 5/23/2013We like to eat in this place and if its Tuesday much better, for one same price you get to prepare your stirfry as you like it and with everything that fits in te bowl. I like the variety of sauces that they have and the fish and meat they have is fresh. Our favorite soup is the curry lentil and second option wonton soup! But never the sour and sweet.. We tried once and no no! My favorite combination is veggies with fish and shrimps. No noodles because you get rice :)Special Features:
- Terrible! :(FOODIEVIPDined on 5/10/2013Way over priced & fish overlooked & v v fishy!! :((
- A good place to eat fast nice foodken0001VIPDined on 4/23/2013We like to eat in this place and if its Tuesday much better, for one same price you get to prepare your stirfry as you like it and with everything that fits in te bowl. I like the variety of sauces that they have and the fish and meat they have is fresh. Our favorite soup is the curry lentil and second option wonton soup! But never the sour and sweet.. We tried once and no no! My favorite combination is veggies with fish and shrimps. No noodles because you get rice :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brutal service, over priced foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013The service was horrible. When we returned to our seats after filling our dishes at the bar with our ingredients, we had our cold soup waiting for us. The waitress took 10 minutes since we arrived to take our drink order. She also didn't clear the appetizer plates after walking by our table numerous times and we waited for half an hour after being done our meals before she came by to ask if we were done. The food was very expensive considering the seafood and meats were frozen. Never going back. I've had a better and $25 cheaper stirfry at wok box.Special Features:
- Was good food as usual, someOccasionalmunchDined on 4/18/2013Was good food as usual, some bins were a little frozen though this time but tasted okay when cookedSpecial Features:
- Great service, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Great service, great food! Couldn't ask for anything more!Special Features:
- Not entirely sure how to rateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013Not entirely sure how to rate a place that merely cooks the ingredients I choose. The selection of ingredients was good and fresh. The meat was properly cooked and the dish was served in a presentable fashion.Special Features:
- Food was FANTASTIC..a littlekastrongmanDined on 3/9/2013Food was FANTASTIC..a little disapointed that we had to wait for food to be replenished when empty..But over all..EXCELLENT..will be returning as soon as possibleSpecial Features:
- Delicious lunch date locationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/20/2013I have had Mongolie Grill at another location and was thrilled the experience was the same at this location. Great food, you are in complete control of what you have on your plate and how much of each ingredient you get. My husband is very picky and loved it! Will be back again!Special Features:
- I have been to the downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2013I have been to the downtown location on many occasions, and have always had great service and food. Although the food was good at the south side location, the service was poor, and the seating options were not great. We had a choice of either beside the window which was quite cold, or next to the food line. For a date night out, I was disappointed.
- Great food, awesome service,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Great food, awesome service, and a really sweet valentine's day deal!Special Features:
- For the most part things wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013For the most part things were good. Service could of been better, but in their defence it was a busy night (Valentine's Day) so it did not affect us much but it was noticeable (we requested some extra sause and by the time it arrived we were almost done our meal, this is just one example there were some others). We had a table right beside the door that was undesireable as it was cold and quite busy at that paticular location.