The Monarch Room
408 West 15th
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Monarch Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nymonarch.com/
- Phone: 6467907070x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Citarella
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Special Events: We have three private dining and event spaces, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Monarch Room
The Monarch Room serves an extensive menu of modern fresh-market American cuisine. The menu, crafted by Executive Chef Michael Citarella, devotes itself to dishes created with the best local and seasonal ingredients. Designed by Roman and Williams, The Monarch Room is located across the street from the famed Chelsea Market in a 1930's industrial-era warehouse. The design aesthetic of Monarch embraces its industrial roots while maintaining a polished uptown experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Monarch Room reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)hot spot (23)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (20)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (14)neighborhood gem (11)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good foodNeighborhoodgemVIPDined on 10/14/2014Loved ribbon pasta and gnocchi. Meat mix for 2 is actually not for 2, but for the army. So much food! But all of it was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2014seems like it's popular days are post? It's a lovely room, but is very large and when only a few tables are occupied it feels too empty and uncomfortable. Food was good, but not exceptional. overall a nice experience, but I was expecting something a bit better.
- Overrated, overpriced food and wineTruefoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Wow. Talk about overrated, overpriced, terrible food perfect for the bridge and tunnel crowd who want to eat close to meatpacking. Could your food be any more bland, your wine list any more overpriced and your service any poorer? Probably. Should have known better than to dine in meatpacking. Warm crudo? Check. Tough "18 hour braised" octopus? Check. Famed "ribbon pasta" that tasted like they served it with canned ragu? Check. Best thing they had on the menu was the complimentary breadsticks. 30 minute wait when the restaurant is half empty? Check that as well. Never returning, never recommending, hard to see this place lasting very long. Avoid like the plague. Unless you're from Jersey.
- Great Eveving!CarmenVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great food, drinks were perfectly made and the ambiance was fantastatic, we had a wonderful evening!!!Special Features:
- Fiesta65Dined on 9/18/2014From the moment we walked in I felt a good vibe. Food was very tasty. Bread was hard to resist. Entree was perfect in that the seasonings did not interfere with the taste of the fish and portions are just right. Service was friendly and professional. The baked Alaska was by far the best I ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 9/16/2014Decent food serves in what looks like a 60's style bomb shelter or underground sewer system. Sampled most of the apps and several seafood dishes and all were satisfactory, but the ambience. Yuk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic dining in the meatpackingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014High ceilings and concrete walls combined with great food make this place a great experienceSpecial Features:
- great experiencefoodwasgrr8tDined on 8/14/2014We celebrated my daughters 30th birthday. It was our first time at the restaurant, and the service was outstanding!! The menu selections were varied and good for a group. The presentation of the food was excellent. I would recommend The Monarch Room to everyone and we will return when visiting NYC again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great room and foodluvtoeatDined on 8/9/2014Had a really good meal. Seafood is really good. Wine list on the expensive side, but what do you expect in this area.Special Features:
- excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014Location is fantastic. place is located in the old garage / warehouse in the heart of the meatpacking district. around the corner from the Apple store. ambiance is great, service is excellent and food is very good too. and they give you plenty of it, definitely wont go home hungry. drinks are great at well, definitely a couple of their specialty cocktails. highly recommend, would go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/28/2014Beautiful place. Super cool interior. Great menu. Entres not as good as other itemsSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerlaladineDined on 6/27/2014The food, cocktails, service and ambiance were all great. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 32 reviews are from the The Monarch Room reviews archive.
- Very Impressed, Cant Wait To ReturnLeslie123Dined on 5/30/2014Food: Shared the Kale Salad and the Ribbon Pasta to start, both of which were perfectly executed. For our entrees we had the Halibut and Strip Steak, which again, we were very impressed with. There is also an amazing bread they serve at the beginning of the meal, which I'm still thinking about! Drinks: Great specialty cocktail program, would definitely return just so I could try more of the options. Atmosphere: The restaurant is quite large, but designed impeccably with a mix of cement, rich leathers, and dark wood. Will definitely be returning ASAP!Special Features:
- nice but a bit too noisesxmagniDined on 5/21/2014over all I had a great dinner, food was great even if they have not a wide choice. Wine list it was good too and prices are not exaggerate. the decoration and design is very "new york" style even if from the website looks better. The only very problem it was the noise level, luckily we arrive there late and we had to tolerate it only for few minutes because people was paying the check and leaving. Over all is a very nice placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but disappointmentsakesVIPDined on 5/14/2014The service is woeful, with a half full restaurant, we waited 30 mins for our drinks to arrive, in the end it was faster for us to go up to the bar and order our own drinks. We came for the steak for two and were told that they did not have it, that it's only on the menu occasionally even though it is printed on the every day menu. Our food was good, definitely not worth coming back for and our sides arrived after everyone had finished their meals. Interesting people watching with all of the promoters and their ladies walking in and out waiting for the club downstairs to open. Overall a huge disappointment and will not be coming back.
- SuperbMangiabellaDined on 5/12/2014Food was excellent...service impeccable. Would very much so recommend this restaurant to friends and family. Loved it. Made my birthday special.Special Features:
- Cool lookOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2014Small plates but delicious, i did not like the chocolate lava cake but i am sure they have other dessertsSpecial Features:
- Great FindLuvinitDined on 4/28/2014I have two best boyfriends. We always spend our birthdays together at new (for us) restaurants. The Monarch Room was a great find. Upon entering we were knocked out by how gorgeous the place was. Everyone was friendly (really important to us) and helpful. But most importantly the food was divine. The oysters we luscious, the parsnip soup was silky and had many complimentary flavors (served and stayed hot!), the soft shelled crab was served crispy and delicious coupled with smashed sweet and chick peas, and the baked Alaska with a candle for the birthday boy, was the perfect desert. I will go again and again.Special Features:
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014I had a great time at The Monarch Room! The food was excellent, the service was good, the ambiance was perfect for our anniversary dinner. I would highly recommend this place. It's pricey, but worth it.Special Features:
- MeholderandwiserDined on 4/22/2014I admit we were all (party of 4) a little disappointed. When we arrived, the "greeters" remained in the outside lobby standing around after they told us to go inside. And then we just stood there until one of our party went back out to the lobby for direction. After that the service improved - had a nice waiter who was helpful. The food was average. Specifically my rabbit was bland and dry. Appetizers were better than the entrees. My special Monarch Manhattan was dull and smaller than the usual drink size I'm used to. As for the atmosphere - the pictures are nicer than the actual place. And the ladies room was really dark! I'm a little older than the usual crowd that was there but my palette and my bankbook is at least equal to anyone!Special Features:
- GoldGoldDined on 4/17/2014Great food,wine noise levels were bit to much otherwise good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amateur hourGregVIPDined on 4/5/2014If you try to fit in or act as though you hang at popular places, then this for you. Anyone with real taste, real connections or actually earns their money, wouldn't go. The attitudes of the staff is out of style. I used to deal with that at clubs but anyone who truly hangs at cool places doesn't deal with these kind of people. When the host didn't even puck his head up to check us in, we laughed at him. I guess when you make 30,000 a year, you tend to resent the ones you serve.
- Worthy of its name.JJB11209Dined on 4/1/2014I had occasion to dine in the Monarch Room yesterday evening and it was an outstanding experience in every way. Our waiter Joe was knowledgeable about all items on the menu and provided exemplary service. The oysters and hamachi from the raw bar were outstanding as were my date's octupus and my kale salad with blue cheese (the best blue cheese I have ever tasted). Entrees of duck breast and red snapper satisfied on every level as did the lemon tart and cookies and sweets dessert. FYI the cookies desssert is large enough for two (my girlfriend took most of her's home).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monarch RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/1/2014This is a happening new restaurant channeling the nearby meat packing district, with smooth concrete walls and floors, combined with a more UES decor of long wood and leather banquets for seating. There is a lot going here...a restaurant on the ground floor, private rooms upstairs and a separate night club in the basement, The Gilded Lily (which was not operating the night I was there). The menu was good, boarderline "foodie". Our party had the kale salad, parsnip soup and the Black Sea bass. All well prepared. The service was friendly and efficient. I look forward to a future visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!riverbluesDined on 3/27/2014My husband and i were there to celebrate our anniversary and had a fun evening - the food was nice and the service was truly outstanding. It was full even on a Thursday night and had a happening vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- promptnesshungryhippoVIPDined on 3/26/2014This is the third time I have eaten here where i had to wait 45-60 min to be seated for my reservation. Not cool, especially when it's an off night (Wed night.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good addition to meat packingLaurad42naVIPDined on 3/15/2014We were definitely no the early side at monarch but it was great. This place doesn't fill up on Saturday until after 9 and when it does it is a good place to people watch! Food was all pretty delicious. Only thing that wasn't anything special was the halibut but i think it is really hard to make a piece of fish special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New venue in Meatpacking Districtzip10010VIPDined on 3/14/2014We made a reservation on a busy Friday night for 8.30 and were seated after a short wait at the bar. -Appetizers/to share: skate fingers, fried mushrooms, grilled octopus with remoulade. We did not care about the skate but the other 2 appetizers were delicious. -I ordered the red snapper with spinach, while my friend ordered the rabbit in "roulade". Both dishes were tasty and well-executed. I would recommend the rabbit, which had a lot of flavor. -We shared the "Alaska" dessert, which consists of vanilla ice-cream topped with a warm meringue. Beware it gets noisy in such a large dining room, but we did not mind. After all, it is expected when you dine in the Meatpacking District on a Friday or Saturday night.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, we enjoyedRosieDined on 3/14/2014Great Ambiance, we enjoyed the appetizers immensely especially the kale salad and quail, the crispy cauliflower and octopus were also good. The pork shoulder was too salty and a bit mushy(maybe they had an off night with this), my dessert, a lemon tart was delicious. Through out the meal it felt like we were being rushed, overly zealous wait staff whizzed by our table on no less than three occasions to try and scoop up plates that we were still eating from. It's a delicate balance, I think they were attempting to be attentive but they need to chill a bit and let people enjoy their food. Again rushed, our bill was presented WITH dessert while all of our wine glasses were still half full that's not the note that I wanted to leave on.Special Features:
- MehPizlDined on 3/14/2014Don't get me wrong, the food is good. The octopus app was especially delicious. But after only an hour, my date and I noticed that everyone that came to the table was trying to hurry us out.Special Features:
- Only got as far as the baryumyum88Dined on 3/7/2014I apologize but there is no other word to properly express my experience with the Monarch Room. We arrived 5-10 minutes before our reservation and was directed to coat check and then escorted through the main doors and that was about it. We assumed someone would come and let us know when our table was ready, so we ordered drinks at the bar. After 20 minutes, we went to the hostess in the front and was told our table should be ready soon. After 45 minutes of waiting and absolutely no assurance that we would be seated or any thing from your employees, we decided to leave. As we left, I told the waitress we would not be needing our reservation anymore and was simply told Good Bye.
- The New Culture of Manhattan DiningfoodieNYCVIPDined on 3/7/2014Such a beautiful space and elegant but casual crowd. The food is delicious and well presented; try the grilled octopus and the pork shoulder! The drinks were perfect, the 'north of the border' being our favorite, and the service was friendly and paced for a great experience. The Monarch Room is trendy yet respectful and in it for the long haul. We are looking forward to returning often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spotFashionFriendVIPDined on 3/7/2014The monarch room is a place to see and be seen. The sock decor and yummy cocktails give you an appetite for the finer things in life! Good for groups or an intimate dinner for 2. The food was outstanding - the real reason you can keep going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely loved Monarch RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/26/2014absolutely loved Monarch Room so much so that I booked another table. highly recommend the crudo's, octopus, gnocchi and cauliflower. great place for groups. psyched to have a new place to go...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOTHING GOOD ABOUT THIS PLACE!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/22/2014Had a 10 pm reservation for dinner, did not get seated until 11:30, and that was with the help of getting everyone from the GM to the owner involved. The hostess looked like she was ready to cry, the waiter was not only rude but borderline schizophrenic, and if only the food would make up for all that, but unfortunately for us it didn't. Everything was over cooked, greasy and at times stale. I don't understand how this place can go so wrong. Definitely will not be returning, EVER!
- Butterflies are the new blackInstafoodieVIPDined on 2/15/2014Great new addition to the MEPA disctrict. Service was great, food was equally good and TMR offered a very attractive scene. Anthony (the maître d), kept the kitchen open past 12 for us on V day from running late to our 11:30 res--which was too damn cool. Thanks guys!Special Features:
- Fun for a dressed up nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Fun for a dressed up night out in meatpacking, service was good, food was okay but over priced. Overall a good experience and atmosphere, would return but not rushing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supposedly trendyWeeknightDined on 2/12/2014Not quite there yet, note enough ambience, too much open space in the front. Menu isn't perfected, had to send back a dish. Could possibly hit it off as it has a lot of potential. Cool doors, cool room, room decor is great, love the ceiling, rare to go to a ny spot that is completely new. I get the look, but needs finishing touches to make it look more "done" or "finished" even if that's flowers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Despite having confirmed bookingC1234Dined on 2/10/2014Despite having confirmed booking in writing, on arrival, the restaurant was closed for a private function. Said they hadn't been able to contact me as they could not dial an International number! Not impressed. Assume no access to email either......
- Slow but deliciousWonderfulVIPDined on 2/8/2014Everything was delicious that we ordered and the staff was very accommodating and apologetic when the food took FOREVER to come out - even drinks and bread took an absurd about of time to come but I guess it's expected of a new place. Will go back in a few months once the kitchen can get their act together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.