The Modern - Dining Room
9 W. 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
The Modern - Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123331220x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday–Friday, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Dinner: Monday – Saturday, 5:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at The Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks The Museum’s Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for sit down functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 2124086611x
A word from The Modern - Dining Room
The Dining Room at The Modern occupies a stunning space overlooking MoMA’s Sculpture Garden. Dinner options include a six-course tasting menu or a $108 four-course prix fixe menu with diverse options for each course, while lunch offers a $66 three-course menu. The restaurant also boasts an award-winning wine program as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer and spirits. The Modern’s Dining Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), a beautiful Terrace overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden, and a Bar & Lounge area that welcomes guests on a walk-in basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The Modern - Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
The Modern - Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (139)fit for foodies (129)scenic view (87)notable wine list (74)romantic (70)great for lunch (49)vibrant bar scene (30)hot spot (23)neighborhood gem (21)great for brunch (12)good for groups (10)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food at an affordable priceLduhigashiDined on 5/23/2014I was looking for a dinner place to meet with a long-time-no-see Italian friend from Milan. Couldn't get a table at my favorite Japanese restaurant so was looking near Hilton where my friend stayed. Since I have been paying a lot more at some 3-star Michelin in NYC, I was only expecting "good" food for Modern's $99 4-course dinner. My foodie friend from Milan and I were actually both impressed by the quality and presentation of the food. The service was more than adequate as well. My friend found a bottle of CA Pinot Noir he liked - all things combined, we had a great dinner.Special Features:
- The following 2433 reviews are from the The Modern - Dining Room reviews archive.
- CE49VIPDined on 5/23/2014Is all about the wine! Never been served a wine glass from a magnum. A definite class act. Congratulations to the sommelier for the excellent selection of wines. Great service and food. A definite return. we have our return reservations confirmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noteasy3or4backDined on 5/23/2014The winelist is an absolute shame as regards pricing.Ridiculous expensive.Hardly one wine under 100dollars. The system with 3 and 4 and pairing is complicated and creates confusion.if somebody wants 2 appetizers then he or she was lost as you could not make a sensible combination.In this restaurant the relation between price and quality was untracable which is surprising as it is in the Moma building.Apart from that arrogance does not help to satisfy a customerSpecial Features:
- More than a restaurant!DiningOutVIPDined on 5/23/2014I gave been coming to the Modern for the last 10 years! I celebrated my birthday again at the restaurant. The new chef changed the menu and it was delicious. We had the peekytoe crab, foie gras and scallop, slow roasted pork and the hazelnut dacquoise. Every dish was perfectly plated. They were like work of art and they tastes as good as they were presented.Special Features:
- Amazing service, good foodFoodloverbraDined on 5/23/2014The service at The Modern is amazing - however not only one of my dishes was salty but the bill. Do not think the food values what they charge you.Special Features:
- A great great experiencePcnLmmDined on 5/22/2014One of the top 3 lunch experience we had in NY. The food is superb, the service is the best and the ambience is pure design and art. It value more than we pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveVIPDined on 5/21/2014The Modern never disappoints. Our meal was spectacular as always. There is a new chef and his preparation and presentation was wonderful. The service is from the Danny Meyer playbook of gracious, attentive, helpful, and flawless. The Modern is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar ExperienceBraseGigantiVIPDined on 5/21/2014Where to start? The Modern offers an elegant (but not stuffy) room, with attentive (but not obsequious) service, and food that is beautfully prepared and presented (but not precious). The prix fixe lunch was served with all the attention one would normally expect for a high-end dinner service. And the beautiful food was also fresh and full of clean flavors. Highly recommended on all counts!Special Features:
- Just lovelygrumpynycDined on 5/19/2014We went for a tasty, relaxing meal and got that and more. Would recommend highly for the food, esp., the comfort, loved the chairs, the view, the garden was beautiful and tranquil, the service, attentive and invisible.Special Features:
- DukkiVIPDined on 5/19/2014Great place for a business lunch or to entertain people. I've had their evening tasting menu, which is a marathon of food. Definitely worth it, given the way the MOMA courtyard looks at night. The menu rotates very often, which is good. Incredible service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Modern impresses...againLuvGreatServiceDined on 5/17/2014This was my third dinner at The Modern, over a 5-7 year period. I don't live in NYC, so I like to try new restaurants when I visit. But when I bring a guest or family member who has never had dining as an 'experience', I make reservations at The Modern. Open Table was great--we got reservations on short notice, and the restaurant called us personally to confirm. We were greeted immediately upon arrival, and made comfortable at our table...on time! Our service team was attentive, helpful with both food and wine menus, and made each course, along with intermittent surprise additions, perfect. The food was superb. The presentation artful and appealing. It's been a long time since I can say I actually relished every bite of a dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- museum restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014I am Belgium, appreciate here good restaurants and was surprised to get such delicious food in New-York with an american cooker. BRAVO to him ... of course it isn't cheap but that we knew before so thanks for the good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coolmeiyanDined on 5/16/2014so cool restaurant. cool food, cool taste! you should go the modern after MOMA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely place for lunchXantheTyler81Dined on 5/16/2014The room is lovely, with a view onto the Sculpture Garden. The service is discreet and unobtrusive, and the food is lovely. Lots of nice extras (amuse bouche, lovely bread, end-of-meal chocolate) to keep things ticking along.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsHungryAdamsDined on 5/16/2014I just love this place -- it never disappoints. The food is exceptional and I love french service, so impressive. We ate in the dining room which has a lovely view of the museum's garden and the staff helped make the meal a very special event.Special Features:
- My favoriteLookingForGreatnessVIPDined on 5/14/2014Definitely one of my favorites in all of Manhattan. The food and service are so consistently great I leave happy each time. The bar room is more upbeat and lively for those more casual nights, the dining room is much more formal for this special nights. I so love it here and look forward to returning.Special Features:
- The best!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/14/2014Probably the best 3 course menu I ate in New York. Definetelly a must to anyone that visit ny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbJoeXBVIPDined on 5/12/2014I took my fiancee here for her birthday after dining at Momofuku Ko for Mother's Day just the day before. The contrast of two beautiful evenings was interesting. Delicious, quiet and finessed amidst all the shining design and with always perfect service, The Modern is not exactly formal, but is refined to the point of perfection.Special Features:
- Simply MarvelousHalReviewsDined on 5/12/2014It was a wonderful dining experience. The service, ambience and food were outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pumpkinVIPDined on 5/11/2014Will definitely return! Loved the seafood and fish in their emulsions with fresh warm baguette! The only problem we encountered was a delay in getting our wine. The desserts were art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day lunchBigblueDined on 5/11/2014We ordered the options from set lunch menu and paired with selected wines. A Terrific experience although a little expensive. Service was exemplary.Special Features:
- The ModernFoodie78GodwellVIPDined on 5/10/2014We dine at The Modern Dining Room at least once a year, in addition to the Bar Room. In comparison to years past, the food is just as great as ever. The deserts, which had always been a problem for me personally, has improved tremendously. BUT, the portions have decreased quite a bit. In the past, a three course menu would be more than enough. This year, my wife had the tasting menu, which was six courses, and I had the four course menu: we both had just enough to eat. Also, in years past, there were more amuse bouche surprises. This year, much less. In years past, there was a chocolate cart pushed to the table for our selections at the end of the meal. This year, none. So, a little disappointed overall.Special Features:
- Doesn"t get much better!JPaulDined on 5/9/2014Wonderful restaurant all around. Exceptional food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Amazing Lunch after MOMABeaconDined on 5/9/2014Staff was amazing. Relaxing to have a long lunch filled with surprises for your taste buds. Elegant, minimalist decor makes supporting the Modern theme in NYC style. Every plate was more beautifully presented than the next. Heart and soul go into the dishes. Make it a tradition after MOMA, we do!Special Features:
- Astonishing!SophieDined on 5/7/2014Fresh, inventive, subtle cuisine. Great new chef. Beautiful decor, we were sitting in the MOMA garden window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful wine pairingseliasVIPDined on 5/6/2014Delicious food and wine was superbly paired. Great view on MOMA garden. Excellent service. A little too noisy from the adjoining bar. Extremely enjoyable experience with picky French visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern, a great dinning experienceNycprDined on 5/5/2014Food was excellent, service was good although occasionally I had to look for waiter to serve us wine. I recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2014We were there for our daughter's 20th birthday. This was a wonderful choice for the occasion as it was festive, beautiful, amazing food and service was perfect. Thank you for making this celebration an outstanding experience!!!Special Features:
- Perfect experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/3/2014I think the title says it all..couldn't get better!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!ConnieDined on 5/3/2014Four of us visited The Modern-Dining Room prior to seen a play this past Saturday. The food was incredibly amazing, gorgeous presentation and delicious! There were lots of little surprises throughout the meal which we enjoyed very much. I couldn't begin to repeat any of the ingredients in our meals but I can tell you that it was a delicious learning experience. Everything was coordinated and although we're not very 'fancy' people, they explained everything to us and made us feel very comfortable. All I can say is that we're all extremely happy to have visited this restaurant and would definitely go back! :):):)Special Features:
- Not quite as expectedFoodieZhangVIPDined on 5/2/2014The Modern is a nice, clean and chic looking restaurant. We were seated next to a window, which was great. We had the tasting menu which was very mediocre. We only enjoyed the 1st course, which was pea soup. The lamb was chewy and had a strong smell to it, I couldn't eat it. As for the service, not as attentive as we were used to. Staff stood around complaining and talking to each other, which is very unprofessional in fine dining. There was a group seated near us that were quite noisy. Pretty annoying. The ambience was all over the place, I guess because mixed with locals and tourists. Too expensive for this type of experience. Usually after a $450 dinner, I will feel anxious to visit again, but I couldn't wait to get out of there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food heavenAstridDined on 5/2/2014Been there many times and it is always like food heaven! Will sure be back the next time I come to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodBarrowStResidentDined on 5/2/2014The Modern is always good, always pleasant, and always professional.Special Features:
- Disappointing...bigTDined on 5/1/2014Very loud (in the beginning, later on also the bar room was also almost empty so the noise level became acceptable), partly limited service performance, modest wine selection, extremely poor food! Given the enthusiastic recommendation of a friend it was at the end very disappointing... :-((
- Very NiceVaFoodieDined on 5/1/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the imaginative food and beautiful setting. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xyz1Dined on 4/30/2014We celebrated our 25 anniversary at the Modern. Food, service, ambience was great. A fair amount of noise from the bar, perhaps because of the location of our table. But we sat beside the floor to ceiling windows looking out over MOMA sculpture garden.Special Features:
- OutstandingCarolDined on 4/29/2014We really enjoyed everything about the Modern. Our guests felt the same way!Special Features:
- ExcellenceChe5terDined on 4/28/2014My husband and I dined at The Modern on a Monday evening as a recommendation through Open Table. The service, food and wine were outstanding. The Sommelier chose my husband a bottle of American red based on his love for French wines. His choice was superb. Wish we could remember the name of the wine. Overall a fabulous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of te best d/m/eals in town!WonderfulWinoVIPDined on 4/28/2014Lunch overlooking the MOMA sculpture garden... Excellent prix fixe arrangement with outrageously delicious food, complemented with a superb wine list and professional service par excellence! Not to be missed (especially after indulging in art at the MOMA). Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2014Inventive cuisine where the flavours of the natural ingredients come through beautifully.Special Features: