The Modern - Dining Room
9 W. 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Modern - Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: 212-333-1220x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday–Friday, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Dinner: Monday – Saturday, 5:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at The Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks The Museum’s Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for sit down functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 212-408-6611x
A word from The Modern - Dining Room
The Dining Room at The Modern occupies a stunning space overlooking MoMA’s Sculpture Garden. Dinner options include a six-course tasting menu or a $108 four-course prix fixe menu with diverse options for each course. Meanwhile, lunch offers a $76 four-course or a $66 three-course menu. The restaurant boasts an award-winning wine program, as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer, and spirits. The Modern’s Dining Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), a beautiful terrace overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden, and a bar & lounge area to welcome guests on a walk-in basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The Modern - Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
The Modern - Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)special occasion (156)scenic view (99)notable wine list (88)romantic (87)great for lunch (52)vibrant bar scene (44)neighborhood gem (28)hot spot (28)good for groups (15)great for brunch (12)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014My wife, who is a bit of a picky, hamburger-only type, described it as the best meal she's ever had, and there isn't a burger on the money. Absolutely wonderful food, service, wine list, and ambience. A definite must try.Special Features:
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014This was our 3rd time to The Modern. It is an unbelievable experience! We choose the Tasting Menu....every item that was served to us was beautiful and tasted SO good! Our wait staff, everyone of them, had great personalities. We will go here again and againSpecial Features:
- MOMA MasterpieceWinedude37VIPDined on 8/8/2014The Modern dining room has rightfully earned its Michelin star. The food is innovative and tasty. The service is emblematic of Danny Meyers philosophy of caring for the diners. Pricey but worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!4tastingmenusVIPDined on 8/8/2014The Modern Dining Room leaves no room for improvement. The food is of course delicious. It is also inventive and creative without being too twee or contrived. Every dish is a delight. The staff is a joy. They are friendly but not intrusive; polite but not strangely formal as one often finds these days. The service is quick, quiet, and deft. Every detail pleases--even the flatware. So elegant while simple. The view is always beautiful--day and night, in good weather and bad. And the prices, while admittedly considerable, are quite reasonable compared to other restaurants in this category. NYC has many excellent restaurants. This one is currently my absolute favorite for the quality of the food and the overall experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One star going for two!RobLeifErikssonDined on 8/7/2014The Modern has been awarded one star by Guide Michelin. After this exemplary dinning experience I would be surprised if the Modern would be awarded a second star in the next evaluation. The service was attentive, perfect and we felt as if we where long standing customers receiving a special treatment. The food and wine was one of the best dinning experiences with a four course meal: two delicious sarters and a main courses to die for. This was topped off with some complemetary desserts and wine in the sculpture garden.Special Features:
- Spectacular!CtfoodieDined on 8/7/2014The Mfreodern never disappoints. The setting is spectacular with the huge glass windows overlooking MoMa garden. The service is excellent, attentive without being overbearing. And most importantly, the food is incredible from beginning to end. The amuse-bouches, the right-out-of-the-oven bread, delicious lobster salad appetizer, perfectly cooked salmon and the unbeatable dacquoise for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Special TreatFan4calVIPDined on 8/6/2014We enjoy coming here and being "spoiled". The flavors of the food and its presentation always meets our expectations. The slow cooked pork and Branzino were delightful. Scallops were also done excellently. My wife and I choose a Riesling and Sav Blanc to accompany our summer date night. Much more consistent than its peers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Modern -- Old School GreatnessPlatterChatterDined on 8/5/2014We chose the 4-course prix fixe menu, and each course exceeded our expectations, each was perfectly prepared and presented. Imagine a meal where every course tops its predecessor, and you have an idea of how superlative this meal was. It was one of the most memorable dining experiences I've ever enjoyed.Special Features:
- The Modern - as good as it gets!NobigdealDined on 8/4/2014The lunch we had at The Modern was as good a meal as we have had ANYWHERE in the world. A standard for comparison in NYC is Daniel - we couldn't choose between them. Heaven food-wise would be lunch at The Modern and dinner at Daniel, but we couldn't eat that much! Service is impeccable, and the food is both interesting and perfectly prepared. The Modern obviously isn't a place regular folks go regularly, but for a special occasion, and/or for a world-class meal, it's as good a choice as you can find anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine foodEtherkay1Dined on 8/1/2014We had the 3 courses and all of our choices without exception were excellent, nice touches with the amuse bouches, mini sorbet and boxed chocs to take home too, highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StarvingBaddyVibyVIPDined on 8/1/2014The menu offers a very exciting selection of sophisticated dishes, but portions are just too small. I had the lamb, which was very good, amazingly well prepared and with a red wine-based sauce for amazing final touch - but it was composed of two 1-inch cubes with some other things around. It all ended in 2 minutes, for an entrée. Also had the hamachi carpaccio as starter: four or five "millimetric" slices, very good, but almost looked like a "free sample" to me. The wine absurdly highly priced: I know the wholesale prices of high-end wines, but here they play hard ball. Sorry, but prix fixe + small samples + high priced standard wine = never again. Note: I have a culinary degree from Cordon Bleu in Paris.Special Features:
- Simply amazing!!Skips81Dined on 8/1/2014Took my wife here for her birthday, with friends and I didn't disappoint. The food was exceptional and the service was first class, little details that they payed attention too. One of the best places I've ever eaten!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service in CityDavidDinesOutVIPDined on 8/1/2014I dine out very often in NYC. From the moment you walk in this is a relaxing, balanced and beautiful room. The staff is extremely well trained and thoughtful. Might have been the first time in 25 years that the Manager came out and apologized because our table was not ready at time of our reservation. It was 10 minutes late, which in NYC speak is on time. Food was fantastic, overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- hand dochanddocDined on 7/31/2014Ridiculously good. Service impeccable. food outstanding, inventive, meticulously prepared. the wine list is modest but covers the spectrum well, prices reasonable for NYC. All staff were friendly, well trained, knowledgable and helpful, offered suggestions but we're not forceful. can't wait to go back for a truffle menu in the fallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchcwj1Dined on 7/31/2014The food and the service is outstanding. Great place to return to regularly!Special Features:
- Poor introductionBullbear1Dined on 7/29/2014Met at door by an obsequious idiot who showed us to the wrong table. couldn't find reservation. When that was corrected everything was fine. Excellent though overpriced wines. Wonderful innovative selection of entrees, starters, soups and salads. Excellent chef. Our wait staff was attentive and solicitous but not intrusive. We had heard differently from others so this was a pleasant surprise. Overall a place I would return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 7/28/2014The Modern never fails to please. The food, the ambience, the professional wait staff, are all first class. This restaurant is a real tribute to Danny Meyer's abilities as a great restauranteur!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Experience Not to be MissedJackVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food and hospitality at The Modern is over-the-top fantastic. We ordered a 4 course price fixe thinking we may be hungry afterwards based on some other reviews commenting on small portions. The portions were more than fair and we couldn’t finish the last dishes. But, size doesn’t matter - the presentation, quality and taste of the dishes were amazing and exceeded expectations. The setting is wonderful. We overheard a couple saying there was no artwork on the walls - but the art was on the plate and in the sculpture garden outside the dining room. Save room for the complimentary chocolate cart. My wife and I thank all of the staff at The Modern for such a wonderful evening, including the invitation to the courtyard for a nightcap.Special Features:
- what an exquisite dining experiencegladysdelphinusDined on 7/26/2014We chose to have dinner on our wedding day and it was the best choice of restaurants we have ever made - the service was top notch. All the waiters are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The food was amazing and tastefully presented. They have a great selection of wine too and the price is not too outrageous. The Dining Room has a romantic view overlooking the sculpture garden of MoMA. Anyone who loves art would love the ambience there which you cannot find elsewhere. At the end of the dinner, we told the waitress we just got married earlier that day, and she offered us a grand cru dessert wine to celebrate the occasion on the terrace. It was overall a fantastic dining experience. We would definitely go back again for special occasions!Special Features:
- Amazing!! Just amazing.JuanCespedesDined on 7/25/2014Amazing place! The food was incredible, the ambience and the service incredible too! One dish you're going to love if you are a meat eatter is the roasted beef and bone marrow, believe me is out of this world.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014Our prix fixe lunch was a unique and delectable dining experience. Each course was prepared to perfection, and the service could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STLFoodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We celebrated the first night of our NYC vacation by going to The Modern. It is a lovely dining room and we enjoyed watching a rain storm and lightening show through the wall of windows. The food was very good, pricey - but we expected that. My complaint was the noise level....if you get a table close to the bar area it is hard to hear own conversation. I would have enjoyed our experience much more if we had been seated somewhere else in the room.Special Features:
- Impressive for business dinnerrjgarnoldVIPDined on 7/23/2014An expense account is useful here, but the food and service are worthwhile. I took a business colleague here and she was very impressed with the food; the waiter was also very solicitous. Had the foie gras with blueberries (better of the two foie gras on the menu), pistachio-stuffed chicken (a bit dry). Caramel parfait dessert was very inventive and delicious. At the end, when the heavens suddenly opened up, the restaurant even gave us umbrellas!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingbdayboyDined on 7/19/2014I was taken here for my 26th birthday and had possibly the most amazing dinner. Every dish was perfect in taste and presentation. The waiters were able to answer any questions about food/wine in great detail. And the manager even made sure t make the experience special by having the chef bring out a special dessert for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near perfectGrouchoVIPDined on 7/19/2014We dined here for our anniversary. Looked this place over for many years, finally decided to try it because we needed a last minute booking when our original choice fell through. Had a drink in the bar area, which is very casual and comfortable. Drinks were good, if not a bit overly complicated. They seated us about 7 minutes late, although there were open tables. Complained and we were comp'd with champagne. Nice touch. We chose the tasting menu with paired wines. The whole experience was divine from start to finish. I enjoyed a number of ingredients and wines I typically do not like, that is how great the food preparation and wine pairings were. This is in my top list of NYC restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014The beef medallions are excellent.in fact it's one of the best I've eaten including a steak house.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Modern is one of the best in NYjerryVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have visited here before and again we were very happy with our dinner. It is a top flight restaurant and the food is inventively prepared. It has a nice view of the Courtyard of MOMA and it is nice except when full of people and you may feel a little like being in a fish bowl. The only downside is the price but it is NYC.Special Features:
- THE MODERNGINGERDined on 7/17/2014The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We had a delicious dinner too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeLucyDined on 7/16/2014Just simple, fresh and tasty food, great presentation ... Service was very professional but also friendly and helpful. We had good time...should have just one drink... gets expensive !!!!Special Features:
- VivbigDined on 7/16/2014The restaurant is awesome, great food. We we t before visiting the Moma museum, which makes the visit to the museum alot more special.Special Features:
- billchinVIPDined on 7/14/2014food was very good but only a tasting menu was offered. food was very slow coming out of the kitchen and this was a Monday night.Special Features:
- The Art of Dining PerfectedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014The combination of atmosphere, creative cuisine, delicious drinks and perfect service come together to provide you with a very special dining experience. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Fantastic ExperienceKellyDined on 7/12/2014We were three people. Two had the four course meal and one the tasting all with pairings. We often had three different wines, but it always felt graceful and comfortable. The service was professional and talented but also warm and fun. We became acquainted with several servers and felt like regulars. Each course was adequate in size and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but classy NY eleganceNitroVIPDined on 7/12/2014Perhaps the Bar adjacent to the formal dining room at the Modern offers far better value for tasting and people watching, but the loveliness of the main dining room as a special spot from which to contemplate the sculptures in the MOMA garden whilst sipping wildly overpriced spirits cannot be unappreciated. The servers are solemn and respectful, and did get us out for theater as promised with time to spare. Their pleasantness in such a setting was quite welcome and the chocolate cart at the end a fantastic touch. One of our appetizers had only a tiny piece of lobster with peaches and did not work, but the scallop and beef entrees made up for this. Desserts were more satisfying . But especially nice was the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDinnerfanVIPDined on 7/11/2014The best meal I had in New York. Amazing service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERB DININGMOEHVIPDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant gives innovative and superb food, the price fixe menu is well balanced or choices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/9/2014Excellent food and service perfect size servings highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Professional Hospitality and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014No one does it better than the Union Square Hospitality Group from the moment you confirm your reservation, through seating, menu presentation and suggestions, the fabulous wine selection and of course the food. It is elegant without being stuffy. The staff wants to be there and knows how to serve without being intrusive. The best of the best in a wonderful setting. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbSy45Dined on 7/7/2014Excellent in every respect. The price of wine was unusually high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantfrancisco2prVIPDined on 7/1/2014Everything was excellent, including the appetizer foie gras tart, the mustard glazed lamb, and the pistachio stuffed chicken. All was outstanding. Highly recommended.