The Modern - Dining Room
9 W. 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Modern - Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 333-1220
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday–Friday, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Dinner: Monday – Saturday, 5:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at The Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks The Museum’s Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for sit down functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 212-408-6611x
A word from The Modern - Dining Room
The Dining Room at The Modern occupies a stunning space overlooking MoMA’s Sculpture Garden. Dinner options include a six-course tasting menu or a $108 four-course prix fixe menu with diverse options for each course. Meanwhile, lunch offers a $76 four-course or a $66 three-course menu. The restaurant boasts an award-winning wine program, as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer, and spirits. The Modern’s Dining Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), a beautiful terrace overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden, and a bar & lounge area to welcome guests on a walk-in basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Modern - Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
The Modern - Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Seems better than everMichaelVIPDined on 11/21/2014We have been out of town since the Modern Dining Room re-opened after its recent flood. Happy to report it is better than ever. Service is impeccable, and flavors and presentation are outstandingly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2596 reviews are from the The Modern - Dining Room reviews archive.
- Phenomenal and creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014Each course was filled with unique flavors with great presentation. Noise level in certain parts of the seating area in the dining room was high from the bar which is only moderately separated and about the same size as the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going for the second star?Henrik1964Dined on 11/21/2014The latest people changes both in kitchen and on the sommelier front have put The Modern back at top of the league, and a second star is conceivable. The late November level of menu and wine pairing is world class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, unparalleled service!RSNYCDined on 11/20/2014Tasting menu was amazin, and I've never had such warm and charming service combined with high end location and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sam1937Sam1937Dined on 11/20/2014This was not our first visit to the restaurant dining room. As always the food, service and ambiance was outstanding. When I made the reservation I entered "a birthday celebration" and we were presented with a few special gifts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great nightTEDDERDined on 11/20/2014Perfect service, great wine and food. A real treat for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View of the Sculpture GardenMartiVIPDined on 11/19/2014Not only did we have a delicious lunch with very pleasant and patient service, it was a beautiful view overlooking the sculpture garden. Even on a cold gray day, looking at art while you eat certainly improves the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special placeIleneDined on 11/19/2014What a nice surprise to find The Dining Room so lovely The food is delicious and the service very attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food, friendly staff but noisyTippledDined on 11/18/2014Set beside Moma this is a lovely restaurant with tasty food, friendly, efficient staff but the location is very noisy and the dining room was draughty so make sure that you take a warm jumper or wrap in winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtraordinaryPhyllisDined on 11/17/2014This was one of the best, if not the best, dining experiences I have ever had. The food, service, wine list, and ambiance were all extraordinary. I had lobster and salmon--both were out of this world and the portions were larger than is usually the case at restaurants of this caliber. In addition, for only an extra $8 I ordered from the dessert cart and they fill up an entire (small ) plate with incredible desserts. Also, when i reserved it on this website i wrote that it was my husband's birthday so they brought out a beautiful desert for him at no extra charge. and if that wasn't enough, they gave me a little to-go box containing 3 additional desserts! I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough. The only downside being that it is very expensive--but definitely worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of NYC's BestEattcVIPDined on 11/14/2014Have eaten here twice and both times found the combination of the space, the warm service and impeccable food creates a perfect way to spend an evening in Manhattan. There are many wonderful restaurants in the city, but this is one of the truly special ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/13/2014I've been to The Modern 3 times before and I was never wowed. This time, however, it was just spetacular. Amazing food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner I ever hadAlexDined on 11/12/2014I've been to the Modern during my honeymoon. The food and service were outstanding. I really do hope to spend our first anniversary in NYC to have another great dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much less of a special experience than last timeRosenVIPDined on 11/12/2014The Dining Room has definitely regressed from last year, when it felt like a 2-star experience. The menu is less interesting than I remember, but not much more so than the Bar Room. The food itself was at times too salty or simply not creative; only one of the three courses had a "wow" factor to it. Only one amuse-bouche was served, and even compared do last year when we were served two types of delicious butter, this time it was only one. The whole experience made me feel like they greatly cut down on costs to make their restaurant more profitable. Props for the hostess and manager who were able to switch our reservation from 2 to 3 people last minute; apart from that, service was a little stiff and awkward at times, maybe not as courteous as I had come to expect, and overall felt less experienced. I believe we were also charged for a 4-course meal instead of a 3-course one. Overall, expect a slightly more formal version of the Bar Room--great and interesting dishes, but not consistently delivering the quality expected from a Michelin-starred restaurant.
- horrible hospitalityvickieDined on 11/12/2014we ordered the tasting menu at the modern the waiters were always in a hurry, out of the 8 dishes, we only got explanation we never got any full explanation of the dishes. every dish deserved 15 seconds of explanation or less.....didn't even know what they were serving to me. the appetizer and entrees were great: taste and look. but the desserts were a little disappointing....the components didn't suit very well with each other. maybe it is my own preference to get something very sweet, rich, and dense to be paired with something more refreshing and light to the palate, but the entire dish was a little too overwhelming for me. we were served tortellini dish with white truffle but no one explained what was inside the tortellini and all they said was this is white truffle. didn't realize the white truffle was an extra 38 dollars until we got the bills.....they never asked....how would i know?........Special Features:
- So many superlatives4tastingmenusVIPDined on 11/12/2014I've long loved The Modern Dining Room, from the elegant silverware to the view of the sculpture garden, the superb service and, of course, the delicious inventive menu. The restaurant seems to go from strength to strength. The new fall menu has delightful new dishes and the service is absolute perfection--warm, friendly, informed. The wine list has treasures for all budgets. I cherish all my experiences at this place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DesappointedBen75Dined on 11/10/2014We had diner two years ago on this restaurant. According to our opinion, the quality has decreased. The pork (but very few food) was good but the chicken and the tuna had no taste. Very disappointed. High prices
- Love itLuizDined on 11/10/2014This is the 5th time we have been there, and it is always very good.Special Features:
- Never miss The ModernPhilipDined on 11/10/2014I never NEVER am in New York without either a lunch or dinner reservation at The Modern. They are one of the very best in the city, and thus, in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentmomaDined on 11/10/2014Perfect welcome, excellent food good service and great attention to the clientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DazzlingHypedOnNYCDined on 11/8/2014The Modern spoils you with spectacular service, inventive food and caring service. Each course was thoughtfully created to balance health, complimentary tastes and overall beauty. No one ingredient stood out; each part elaborated the whole do that the taste experience was dazzling. The service is 'the best'. The room is quiet do a group of sic can talk and hear one another. A magical evening!Special Features:
- Missing GabrielOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2014Disappointing on a number of counts, most of all the food. We knew Gabriel was gone. Thought we would try the tasting menu with the change of chefs. Uninspired. Tasteless egg and caviar to start. Roasted foie gras cluttered with cloying candied lemon. Texture and flavor of cod was off. If there was a chocolate cart the waiter must have forgotten to offer it. Was asked when confirming reservation about my seating request; reiterated banquette, was told OK, but not seated there when we arrived. All around mediocre experience. An unpleasant surprise.Special Features:
- So disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Having eaten at Daniels the night before, we were excited to try out the Modern which came with its jacket-required dress code. From the moment we walked in, you could sense the mayhem--confusion as to who was to seat us or take our coats. The place was LOUD because of the bar and the dining area seemed very crowded and busy. We had the tasting menu and it seemed like every dish was brought out by a different person. One time, they brought out a dish and didn't even tell us what it was and just left! So much for a high end dining experience. We paid the same amount at Daniels and got soooo much more out of it. The food presentation was good at the Modern but definitely not a personalized experience. Not going back unfortunately.Special Features:
- A great meal, a great eveningRoadrunner2VIPDined on 11/6/2014The Modern is always excellent, and this was the same. Outstanding food, superb service, great wine list - the complete package. What made this special was the outstanding effort to provide us a great experience after the normal close of the kitchen. We had planned to meet friends for a late seating after theater. Our friends were delayed and it appeared they would not arrive until after the kitchen would close. We discussed with the maitre d' and our server and they could not have been more gracious and accommodating. They provided a great meal, great service - a wonderful and unexpected experience. We were fans of the Modern before, but we think they truly surpassed themselves on this eveningSpecial Features:
- Fabulous LunchLaureenDined on 11/6/2014One of the best meals that I have had in all of my years in New York. Had the four course lunch and every course was special! Service was attentive, but not hovering. Pricey, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Very rewarding experienceFernleighVIPDined on 11/6/2014Lunch following an early look at the Matisse Cut-Outs. Everything was really lovely -- the setting as beautiful as ever, gracious and well-paced service, and food that seemed a perfect match for the season. Just very highly recommended!Special Features:
- Good lunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014It is a tasting menue , with nice flavours. I did not feel it special. The ambiance and service are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!kiyoDined on 11/4/2014I stayed NY 6 days and went many restaurants. One dish in three prefix manue at The Modern was the best dish in my 6day stays.Special Features:
- You can't go backhershebarDined on 11/1/2014I didn't realize Gabriel Kreuther was no longer the Chef at the Modern. It was my husband's firsts visit and he enjoyed his meal, but I thought the food fell flat in comparison to the delicious Alsatian French I enjoyed last year at the Modern. I was really looking forward to going back, which instensified my disappointment. I should have done my homework. My bad.Special Features:
- CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014The service was the most amazing I have ever seen. Not just nice people all around, but great recommendations for the best menu picks, quick to smile, they took away plates before we even used them. And the (free) chocolate cart... at the end... was a tremendous surprise... and absolutely to die for. Oh, by the way, the food was creative and delicious!Special Features:
- Anniversary Occasionspartan83Dined on 10/31/2014Started the evening off with going through the museum of modern art and then headed to the Modern. Started with a bottle of champagne from a distinguished list of vineyards. Dinner was an experience not a meal. The food preparation and quality was outstanding. The service was exceptional. Definitely would recommend.Special Features:
- Good Food.Oneda600Dined on 10/30/2014I will recommend this restaurant for special occasion.Special Features:
- Very good.Foodie1Dined on 10/30/2014Didn't quite have the wow factor for me and was a little pricy, especially the wine list, extensive but over the top on price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing tasting menuTifflin194VIPDined on 10/29/2014I am not always a fan of tasting menus--there's a lot of food, and usually the best dishes are the appetizers. I'm often disappointed by mediocre mains featured in tastings (and high-end restaurants in general). But our experience at The Modern was phenomenal. Each dish was delicious and beautifully presented. The Kobe beef was a highlight for me. Even though I was stuffed I ate everything on my plate. My only piece of negative feedback was the combination of tastes in the foie gras tart. It could have used a generous sprinkling of sea salt and some more cranberry jam to cut through the overly rich taste of foie gras. I generally prefer seared but in some cases cold can be delicious too. It just needs to be appropriately seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryTopJerrytopDined on 10/29/2014Fabulous food and service. This restaurant is highly recommended.Special Features:
- SpectacularFrequentdinerVIPDined on 10/28/2014Wonderful food, amazing service and beautiful views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialEvyNYVIPDined on 10/27/2014This is my third trip to the Modern and as usual, it was a wonderful experience. My only observation is that recently I have noticed that the presentation of the desserts is not as spectacular as before. Perhaps a new pastry chef? Could use improvement there. Otherwise just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionmichaelBYOBDined on 10/27/2014Everything was amazing. Such a great experience. Order the tasting menu... it's well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceCTFoodieDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant was a wonderful experience. It is well worth the price. The food was innovative without being fussy. The wait staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. I would definitely return and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- Will not go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014My husband and I went while in NY and had very high hopes! We ordered the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairings. Food was ok, but the wine pairings were WAY OFF. We were expecting way more for a $500 dinner. Needless to say we will not be returning when we come back to the city.