The Modern - Dining Room
9 W. 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Modern - Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: 212-333-1220x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday–Friday, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Dinner: Monday – Saturday, 5:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at The Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks The Museum’s Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for sit down functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 212-408-6611x
A word from The Modern - Dining Room
The Dining Room at The Modern occupies a stunning space overlooking MoMA’s Sculpture Garden. Dinner options include a six-course tasting menu or a $108 four-course prix fixe menu with diverse options for each course. Meanwhile, lunch offers a $76 four-course or a $66 three-course menu. The restaurant boasts an award-winning wine program, as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer, and spirits. The Modern’s Dining Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), a beautiful terrace overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden, and a bar & lounge area to welcome guests on a walk-in basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The Modern - Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
The Modern - Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (167)special occasion (160)scenic view (103)romantic (95)notable wine list (93)great for lunch (55)vibrant bar scene (49)hot spot (34)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (21)great for brunch (12)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- SpectacularFrequentdinerVIPDined on 10/28/2014Wonderful food, amazing service and beautiful views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialEvyNYVIPDined on 10/27/2014This is my third trip to the Modern and as usual, it was a wonderful experience. My only observation is that recently I have noticed that the presentation of the desserts is not as spectacular as before. Perhaps a new pastry chef? Could use improvement there. Otherwise just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionmichaelBYOBDined on 10/27/2014Everything was amazing. Such a great experience. Order the tasting menu... it's well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceCTFoodieDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant was a wonderful experience. It is well worth the price. The food was innovative without being fussy. The wait staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. I would definitely return and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- Utterly SpectacularnicknameVIPDined on 10/24/2014We were a party of six which gave us ample opportunities to sample most of what was on the menu, and the flexibility to have the tasting menu, or not, or to have any combination of items on the prix fixe menu meant that I got to taste almost everything that I might have been curious about. The experience of each of those bites was, as my review title states, UTTERLY SPECTACULAR. I look forward to going back again with just my wife as The Modern is a beautiful space with top notch service that just begs for a special romantic occasion as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtraordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Bravo to Chef.. Extraordinary taste, interesting combinations, delicious food, well refined.Special Features:
- blcooksDined on 10/22/2014Delicious, delightful, delovely. The food was top notch, And the staff knows all about the menu items, their ingredients, and preparations.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceSusieQVIPDined on 10/21/2014We went to The Modern for my husbands birthday. The whole experience was top notch- food was wonderful, service was great. My only issue was that it was very expensive. I did not realize that it was a pre fix price for three courses. Normally, we do not all have three courses but the portions were not huge so it worked out. They brought a piece of cake with a candle for my husband after dinner which was a very nice touch and people wished him a happy birthday. But it was expensive-$600 for four people plus tip so be prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous!CgwilsonVIPDined on 10/21/2014This is just a great experience. Went for dinner with a friend. Food was exceptional. Service was attentive, not doting. The sommelier was very helpful and approachable in offering wines that paired well with our courses. If you are looking for a wonderful experience for a special occasion, look no further.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reuniongood2tasteDined on 10/21/2014I had a lovely few hours with a friend I hadn't seen in several years. We had a view of the sculpture garden and although the restaurant was full I felt we had privacy and a leisurely lunch. The meals were delicious and beautifully presented. No one hurried us. Servers were young but experienced. A definite place to return to for a special occasion.Special Features:
- The Modern was perfect.OZtravellerDined on 10/20/2014I only have one question - Why does The Modern only have one Michelin Star? It should have more. Thank you for a beautiful lunch and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for sommelier.FrequentdinnerdinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014It is always good practice to become friends with sommelier especially if intend to frequent restaurant regularly. I do not believe that we worked with sommelier here, but instead someone on the wine staff whose recommendations were disappointing. So if "sommelier" isn't wearing a suit, ask for the real sommelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good indeedNeilDDined on 10/18/2014We had the degustation menu which is expensive but worth it. Excellent wine suggestion from sommelier. Service friendly and efficient. A memorable night out.Special Features:
- Still topstymelyronVIPDined on 10/18/2014For food, service and atmosphere, The Modern is the complete package. From our arrival at 7:00 on a Saturday night until we left at 9:30, all tables were full, with people being seated for dinner even at 9:00. All the menu choices were appealing, and our choices of gnocchi with truffles, cauliflower with crab butter, foie gras cranberry tart, pork tenderloin/belly and beef with marrow were spectacular. Desserts were sublime, and even the bread was outstanding. When you want a special meal, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best for lunchWonderfulWinoVIPDined on 10/14/2014A visit to MOMA for cultural immersion followed by an outstanding lunch, delicious, reasonable and complemented by outstanding service. The wine list has gems that enhance the meal. The flooding has resulted in the loss of the banquets with an elevated view of the Sculpture Garden but the Modern is still worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the perfect spot for celebrationssweetstarlingDined on 10/13/2014My husband and I spent an evening at The Modern on our honeymoon, and not only was the food amazing, but the staff went above and beyond to make sure that our evening was extra special. We opted for the tasting menu and were delighted with each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Perfect before your visit at the MOMA. The Room is front of the garden with the statues. And for french peuple it´s easy to find thaïs restaurant because it's near the Metropolitan entrance.Special Features:
- Amazing - seventh heaven in NYC!EurovisitorDined on 10/11/2014I was expecting good food in an attractive setting but my expectations were completely surpassed by an experience that was worth a million dollars. First, the food. It is the best, most original and freshest I have tasted. Of particular note was a delicious dish of caviar and egg with "soldiers". The taste was not only original but also completely divine. The chicken with pistacchios was also fabulous - market fresh. And a special mention must go to the white truffle gnocchi - an Autumn treat. Best of all though was the service. I could hardly have imagined what a wonderful experience the evening turned out to be as the staff looked after me as if I were royalty - thank you! The Modern is now my favorite restaurant in NYC.Special Features:
- ExceptionalnitpickyDined on 10/10/2014High marks on all counts! From the hand-crafted cocktails to the food, this was an exceptional experience. The staff were cheerful and enthusiastic without being intrusive. The food was incredible! I love the Prix-fix format - you can choose any three or any four items off the menu; want four entrees or deserts? No problem. The only complaint was that one of the wines I sampled tasted corked, but the staff made it right by opening 2 more bottles of the same wine. They agreed the wine tasted corked in all three bottles. I was offered a different wine, and it was absolutely amazing. I suspect they will remove the offending bottles from the wine list... Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingANC67Dined on 10/10/2014Great experience from The Modern. Staff was amazing and the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must experiencecag0716Dined on 10/10/2014I had heard about this restaurant for ages and feared it couldn't live up to the reviews but it was fabulous. My out of town friends were also very impressed. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fabulous not FrenchPagemossDined on 10/10/2014I chose the Modern for our family with open table's french restaurant finder. It turns out the chef changed and it's now rather American & seasonal. We were not disappointed. It was a superb meal with great service. Wine decision and pour by sommelier. I liked the simple menu. Tasty amuse bouche.Special Features:
- MODERN AT MOMANYerDined on 10/9/2014The setting is wonderful. The service was very attentive. The food was a bit affected, with various courses ranging from pretty good (a salad) to very good (the mains). Portions were not large, but the food was so rich that we certainly doesn't end the meal feeling deprived. NSpecial Features:
- Superb experienceAshleyCahnDined on 10/9/2014No detail is overlooked in this elegant restaurant. Food, food presentation and service are all one could ask for. Of course, this all comes with a price, but if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great celebration!!ForeigncoupleDined on 10/9/2014Great spot for a celebration + visit at the MOMA! I was there at lunch time celebrating my mother's first visit to NYC. We had a reservation made and asked for a special table. We we received with loads of courtesy, service was impeccable and food was heavens on earth! Its a fantastic spot with a fantastic view for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!mikedperlDined on 10/8/2014Completely enjoyed the tasting menu with the accompanying wine parings. Every course was so unique and interesting and only made better by the wines. It was the perfect choice for a client dinner.Special Features:
- Top notchAwr1Dined on 10/8/2014From our brief wait at the bar (we could have stayed all afternoon) to our perfect table overlooking the MOMA gardens we were wined and dined to the heavens. Would absolutely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Like it Used to BeIzzyKVIPDined on 10/8/2014The last time I dined at The Modern, it was an oasis of calm, the tables were far enough apart that you did not hear conversations, the amazing light filling the space and the restaurant itself seeming like living art. The scale and the spacing seemed thoughtful and deliberate. Not so this time. It has been a couple of years and the popularity of the restaurant has resulted (I am guessing) in changes to cram more people into the space. Gone is the feeling of perfect scale and space. This is a busy restaurant, conversations audible and tables closer together. It is not the hushed lovely calm space it once was. It has the feel of any other successful busy restaurant in the City. No more a seamless part of the museum.
- A Gem...AGSGDined on 10/8/2014Wow what a great restaurant. The food was so delicious and the presentation outstanding. The service was perfect. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to rememberRicnkrisDined on 10/6/2014My wife and I were celebrating her birthday.The staff had been made aware of this and they went out of their way to make the evening a most memorable one.The food was fantastic and each member of the staff were impeccable.We had a 3 course dinner but we were given in addition 2 amuse bouches and after dinner they served us tea and coffee on the terrace with a selection of delicious chocolates with a birthday candle . We would have no hesitation in recommending the restaurant to anyone who asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to DetailHawaii510Dined on 10/3/2014Did the 3 item order. My gf ordered Lobster, Foie Gras, and the Steak. The Lobster had a strong lemon rind flavor, which was unpleasant. The server made up for this with an excellent Scallop dish. I had the Foie Gras with lemon (excellent balance of fat and citrus), Salmon (wonderfully prepared with a subtle cream sauce), and the suckling pig (pork fan so of course it was fantastic with an outstanding crunch from the skin). My only qualm was with the water service. I must have been thirsty because I went through my water quickly. I was expecting water quickly. I had to put my empty glass towards the outside of the table to get more. At this price point I expect better attention to detail. Food creativity and overall service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful but a bit noisyGoodFoodAndOpenTableFanVIPDined on 10/3/2014The Modern is a great restaurant with absolutely delicious food and a terrific wine list. We were very pleased with each of our dishes. We would go back - and would look forward to it - but would ask for a seat as far from the 'wall' that separate the dining room from the bar.Special Features:
- HungrygrlhungrygrlVIPDined on 10/3/2014Perfection everytime, the food, the presentation and the service! And cannot beat the view of the sculpture garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My NEW Favorite NYC Restaurant!macallan18grVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food was unbelievable! I have dined in ALL the top NYC restaurants and this was undoubtedly the best meal I have enjoyed in years! A new bar has been set. I can't recommend it highly enough!Special Features:
- ImpeccableottoDined on 10/1/2014Thanks a million for a fantastic evening at The Modern! Impeccable! We did the tasting menu and loved it all and the sommelier did a great job on the pairing wine menu. Friendly staff, very observant, loved them - and a great table! Enjoyed the view of the garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingbarbtDined on 10/1/2014This special occasion restaurant is outstanding. Subtle, sophisticated dining in a serene environment, noise level low enough to hear everyone at the table. Elegant food with service to match. Prices are high, but this is one of the best restaurants we have been to. Worth the price.Special Features:
- Our FavoriteGreggKDined on 10/1/2014We are from Chicago and love coming to New York. Lunch at the Modern is always on our agenda, in fact this is the fifth time we have been there we love it so much. Excellent service and food for foodies, consistently elegant.Special Features:
- Special OccasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/30/2014Enjoyed the food, service and setting overlooking the sculpture garden at the MOMA. Expensive. Worth the price for unusual combos in beautiful presentations.Special Features:
- Back on trackAllenVIPDined on 9/26/2014The Modern recently reopened after having to renovate as the result of a ruptured water pipe. The menu is new and our old favorites are gone but there are some new additions which are bound to become favorites. There is no longer an a la carte option, instead one chooses from two price fixed menus or the tasting menu. The amuse bouche and the "appetizers" were excellent. The "mains" fell short. The chicken with pistachios was too salty. The salmon dull and uninteresting. The chocolate cart remains, but apparently not for long as the pastry chef is changing. Many of the original wait staff left and the new staff needs more experience. I expect that everything will improve over time. Wines are a bit expensive.Special Features:
- Couldn't be bettertaplVIPDined on 9/26/2014Get past the bar area quickly and don't be put off, as the back of the space, behind the wall, overlooking the beautiful garden and wonderful city view, is an oasis of beauty and calm. This is our second visit, of what I hope will be many, to this totally great restaurant. Portions are just right, plating is beautiful, service is calm and friendly and respectful and excellent, and you will love the very refined food. This is a place for a special dining experience.Special Features: