The Modern - Bar Room
9 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Modern - Bar Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 333-1220
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10:30 pm
Sunday 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at the Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks the Museum's Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for seated functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 212-408-6611x
A word from The Modern - Bar Room
The Bar Room offers a more casual way to experience an expansive à la carte menu in a vibrant and welcoming setting. The restaurant boasts an award-winning wine program, as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer, and spirits. Located adjacent to The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), The Modern’s Bar Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The Bar Room also includes a bar and lounge area to welcome guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant's Dining Room features a prix fixe only menu and a beautiful terrace space, overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Modern - Bar Room reviews from OpenTable diners
240 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (158)vibrant bar scene (95)great for lunch (84)notable wine list (82)hot spot (70)special occasion (68)neighborhood gem (48)great for brunch (28)romantic (28)good for groups (25)scenic view (19)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (7)Show More
- foodiesDined on 11/17/2014as always is a very nice place to take have lunch there after the visit at MOMASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014I organized a festive/celebratory brunch for my family. While the wait staff was friendly and generous and the food looked good, it was disappointing. My chicken was warm not hot. My dining companions' soup was not hot. Generally very nice presentation but service super slow and food not very good. Delicious bread was highlight, in addition to champagne we ordered in celebration of our special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood must!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014The meal was delicious. Lovely fried oysters. The tarte flambe is a good-sized portion, full of flavor. The highlight of the meal was the white truffle with tagliatelle. Divine. The scallops were perfectly cooked, and the pork tenderloin was phenomenal. The peanut butter and jelly sundae was a fun note to end a fantastic meal. Definitely returning to this spot. The sommelier picked a great sparkling that ended up evolving with the meal. One of the best nights out in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottDined on 11/11/2014I was very disappointed in the changes which my wonderful waiter - Brian - explained have happened because the new chef doesn't do the old recipes. So lobster in the pot has gone and last Tuesday I was shocked at the new steak tartar. It in no way measures up to the old steak tartar which is why I come to the Bar at the Modern and have recommended it to several people who have come on my suggestion. I'm not sure I'll return. The new carrot strip is not worth it and in spite of the great waiter and his effort to make me happy I strongly recommend that Danny Meyer should return and try some of the "new " food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative energy at the ModernFabfoodVIPDined on 11/10/2014Fun cocktails (and mocktails!), creatively presented tasty morsels of modern worthy bar dishes. The fried oysters on the half shell were but light enough to ensure it was short lived. I also highly recommend the white truffle risotto, although the lobster sausage and fluke were a bit heavy for my taste. Excellent experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced.AlonVIPDined on 11/9/2014The room is nice, service excellent. While I don't mind paying these prices, the portions are tiny....and the wine list is crazy overpriced.
- Rip-off! Too expensive !artistgirl24Dined on 11/9/2014The MODERN was a rip-off! Sky high prices for tiny (microscopic) portions. Forget it!
- Just right...laderamomVIPDined on 11/8/2014Great cocktail, the smoked carrot rillettes were so surprising and yummy, and my pork was perfectly cooked. Friendly, helpful, but neither over familiar or obsequious service. Lively crowd, beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastronomical experienceDIRTYMARTINIDined on 11/8/2014Beautiful roomy table ..comfortable seating. Waiter very informed about food and choice of wine. All dining room help very knowledgeable , polite and quick to please. Incredibly good food. We had foie gras two different preparation. Both were out of this world. Gnocchi were covered with truffles. Impeccable food and service.Special Features:
- RemiVIPDined on 11/8/2014I love the bar room at the Modern, although it is crowded and noisy, no matter when you go. The food is outstanding, and the service was very professional. It's always a treat to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely accommodatingSeaKingDined on 11/6/2014From the reservation clerk offering to check our suitcases while we visited MOMA to the waitperson offering to pour two half-glasses when she overheard us discussing which wine to share, we felt very well taken care of.Special Features:
- A funky yet sophisticated locale.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014Very cool - great food and atmosphere. Limited menu but makes it easier for ordering. Extensive wine list but pricey. Very attentive staff without being annoying. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- ExcellentELLIEDined on 11/2/2014The food, atmosphere and attention to detail were all great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/1/2014Always pleased when my request is accommodated as was the case here. Everything at this venue was very good to excellent from start to finish: the greeting on arrival was super receptive; the ambiance was pleasant but noisy; the food was excellent; and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food Elegant Decor Fine ServicNikki10023VIPDined on 10/31/2014My friend & I had excellent meals. We shared the smoked Carrots Rillettes - this was a positively wonderful choice in every respect. It was imaginative/original, delicious, lovely combination of smoked carrots w cheese -both finely diced, fennel seed & creme fraiche on rye bread. She had the excellent branzino and I had the pork tenderloin w pork belly. The tenderloin was perfectly made but the pork belly was solid fat & not for me. The staff was most attentive. An altogether completely satisfying dining experience. I dine here often as it rarely disappoints.Special Features:
- Worth Every PennyCDMGVDined on 10/30/2014Eating at the Modern is a luxury. The food is exquisite, the service is impeccable. I would forego other luxuries to dine there once in a while. The noise level is higher than we would like it to be, but we are willing to put up with it.Special Features:
- Met the reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014Expensive, yes. Food portions on the smaller side but fantastic. The risotto was to die for. I had the scallops which were very tasty and cooked to perfection. Plate presentation was clean and simple. It is a typical hip NY scene. If price is not a concern; it is good for tourists, business, couple or small groups(4 or less if you plan to eat). I would go there again for business or a special occassion.Special Features:
- Great MoMA lunch breakatxdinerVIPDined on 10/28/2014Why leave the Museum? Food is always good, service excellent. Lovely room and great people watching. I try to eat here whenever I visit MoMA.Special Features:
- Great for business lunchFoodFanVIPDined on 10/28/2014Sat in Bar Room w client. Very energetic (that's a good thing) vibe. Could still hear each other talk at normal level. Crispy chicken was great. I started w fluke carpaccio which was very flavorful. Tuna sliders were eh. Paired meal w bottle of cider for a nice Fall change. Friendly and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portion ControlelisacamisaDined on 10/27/2014Perfect for small plates---yummy tidbits and great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLuvfoodDined on 10/27/2014Very disappointing since departure of previous chef. The menu selection is lacking as is the graciousness of the wait staff. Had lobster sausage and it arrived covered in unaesthetic froth. Wonderful venue but lacking the soul that made a real culinary treat.
- Always a joyFoodwomanVIPDined on 10/26/2014Food is creative and delicious, and the service is terrific. The gluten free bread is as awesome as the miniature warm baguettes. The wine selection is thrilling. Ask for guidance and yes, state your price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a TryRyllVIPDined on 10/25/2014We were unable to make a last minute reservation at The Modern - Dining Room so thought we would give the Bar Room a try. Overall, the food was very good. The fried oysters, the beef entree for two, and the cinammon doughnuts were the highlights. The Zuchinni (gnocchi) dish was lacking which surprised us since it was highly recommended by our server.Special Features:
- Trendy cultural lunchElenDined on 10/25/2014If you are looking for a trendy cultural lunch ,brunch or dinner after a visit to your favorito expo, do not hesitate to have something to eat or and drimk at he The Modern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is great, never any attitude185WEADined on 10/24/2014If I could just have the scallops and cauliflower one more time before I die...Special Features:
- HansiVIPDined on 10/23/2014Outstanding food but very noisy. Service excellent but overeager, constantly interrupting conversation at the table.Special Features:
- Never disappointsRockwellDined on 10/21/2014The Modern-Bar Room is always a fabulous place to finish a great night out. The food is utterly delicious and beautifully plated. The service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Modern is great fo businessDrdaveNYCDined on 10/20/2014I met a former colleague for lunch and since I'm a member of MoMA, this made a great place to meet up in midtown. I would suggest using Opentable for a reso since I've had to wait in the bar room before without one. Food is great, ambiance even better, and highly recommended.Special Features:
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The Modern is an excellent restaurant to go to for an intimate dining experience. The service is superb and the food is top notch. The timing of the server is perfect, well-timed, polite & friendly. Will be returning again in the future.Special Features:
- Bar RoomJohnJosephDined on 10/18/2014My time at The Modern was great however, I wish I would have known that the tasting menu is not available in the bar room and is only available in the more formal dining area. The whole reason I went there was for the tasting and when I arrived I was told that the bar room does not do tasting menu. Overall it was a good experience, the food was executed very well, the service was very professional and accommodating, and it was a great atmosphere to dine in. The staff did a great job making me feel comfortable and really took time the time to care for what they were doing and was very thoughtful of how we were treated. They set an example for what service should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lydie69Kia64Dined on 10/18/2014Overall, food was Okay, the menu lost what was making it "Special" and worth the trip. Food is good, but its missing something. Tuna over Brioche, doesn't get it. Fried Oysters were too dry, The tartare of beef was okay but again missing "Kick" Dessert was good. Wine was excellent as well as ExpressoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service and decorNikki10023VIPDined on 10/15/2014Always a great place to dine. Staff went out of their way to be considerate. I said I was cold & they brought me a cup of hot water with lemon. My friend explained she could not eat the bread as she had to eat gluten free products. They brought her gluten free bread. She said it was the 1st delicious gluten free bread she had eaten. However she ordered white truffles & said she wanted it on Cauliflower not pasta or rice. This was to be her only course. The portion of the cauliflower was tiny - charged her $6. The truffles were 3 razor thin slices - $38. Even though we arrived at 6:30 pm thinking at that early hour it would be quiet. It was not and sometimes the noise was overwhelming - hence the 4 stars not 5 stars. My meal was excellent.Special Features:
- Surprising serviceRatherbnNYDined on 10/13/2014I have been to the modern many times. I was aware that the prices are high and the plates small. However, I have never had such poor service. We waited 20 minutes for bread and asked 4 times. The same was true of refills for coffee and tea. And this was at 2:00! While I might return for the convenience, if this experience repeats itself, I'll need to find something else in the area.Special Features:
- Stunning in every way!CTFoodieDined on 10/12/2014The Modern offered one of the most sophisticated and memorable dinners I've ever had in NYC. It was definitely pricey, but if you're willing to splurge, it will not disappoint! Every single dish, from cocktail to dessert, blew me away. Still dreaming about the Brussels sprouts plate and tuna sliders...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some changesNYC2BVIPDined on 10/12/2014I would like to clarify that it is no longer free corkage on Sunday. $35/bottle instead. However, opentable hasn't updated the info. Also, the menu has changed--kind of moving away from small plates (fewer options and larger plates are more than $30 now), however the larger plates are not much bigger than appetizers neither. in fact I don't like big portions when I go to restaurants, but I hope they could have charged us a few dollars more for our entrees and gave us the bigger entree portions. Nonetheless, the taste of the food is still good, but I think the restaurant is still transitioning its style. Right now, it is kind of in the middle.Special Features:
- 2nd time - last timestampeederDined on 10/12/2014Quality of the food is good, but portions are too small. The plate for dessert was covered by 1 one of ice cream ($ 12,00). We had the feeling something was missing.... . Sommelier forgot to fill up the glasses....There were at least 5 waiters around our table, but the organisation is a disaster. It's far too pricey for the service and food portions offered. By the way, the bread was stone hard.....Special Features:
- Amazing experienceCraigVIPDined on 10/12/2014We had lunch and were amazed from the moment we sat down. This is what fine dining is all about. The food was exceptionally creative and perfectly prepared. The server was knowledgable and pleasant and assisted by a host of helpers. The decor is chic and yes... modern.Special Features:
- Step up lunchmagicmikeDined on 10/12/2014Not for the economy dinner, but this is a great restaurant right next to the MOMA. Everything we had was unique, full of flavor and beautifully presented. When you want to kick up a notch, this is a place to consider.Special Features:
- Pricey and small portionsstarfoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food is very good, but the portions are tiny. We were very hungry later in the evening and grabbed a few slices of pizza, after having dropped almost $165 on a simple dinner for two at the Modern's Bar Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top shelf in every waymynextbestmealDined on 10/10/2014Hip, chic, lively with great food and superior service. When a minor error was made, 5 different people came by to apologize and offer treats! Food is creative, beautifully presented and very tasty. A new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.