The Modern - Bar Room
9 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Modern - Bar Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123331220x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10:30 pm
Sunday 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at the Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks the Museum's Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for seated functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 2124086611x
A word from The Modern - Bar Room
The Bar Room offers a more casual way to experience an expansive a la carte menu in a vibrant and welcoming setting. The restaurant also boasts an award-winning wine program as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer and spirits. Located adjacent to The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), the Modern’s Bar Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The Bar Room also includes a Bar & Lounge area that welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features a prix-fixe only Dining Room and beautiful Terrace space, overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Modern - Bar Room reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)great for lunch (56)vibrant bar scene (42)notable wine list (42)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (36)hot spot (29)great for brunch (19)romantic (17)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- NOT GOOD REVIEWOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014At the The Modern - Bar Room they do not respect the hour of reservation we have to wait 35 minutes before going to the table one of the persons did not receive what she order thy should respect more there costumersSpecial Features:
- An oasis for New Yorkers in midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014Great service, food and atmosphere. Been before and will again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 8/16/2014Other than the noise level, everything about the Bar Room at the Modern is perfect. The bread is delicious, the appetizers were fantastic, and the main courses as well. My husband loved the pork. The only complaint is the portion size, but the quality of the food is superb. The prices are on the steep side as well, but the tastes and the combination of flavors for all the dishes were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!!!FTNYSFDined on 8/16/2014It is nice and refreshing to go to a place where the client matters, and a tremendous job is being done here. The food goes without saying, exceptional on all levels. Great experience, Job well done, you sure can expect me to recommend this place to all my friends, and I am looking forward to many returns. Keep up the excellent work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelybigfanDined on 8/13/2014Just right. Perfect portion sizes, bright summery flavors, impeccable service, fun pre-theater crowd. Already looking forward to the next time.Special Features:
- RemiVIPDined on 8/12/2014Although the tables are small and close together in the bar, we were lucky not to be sandwiched in between two other twos. Other than that, our experience was delightful. Creative, delicious food, professional service. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the way it was!UmbertoDined on 8/12/2014For years this has been one of my favorite places for lunch. I love the location and the space. Recently found new menu and missed my favorites! Maybe would have been ok but the execution was poor. Bread was hard. Wine was under poured, hamachi was tasty but so heavy on cream with too many ingredients. Seemed like too much was going on. I had the roasted eggplant as well and couldn't cut through parts of it. So half of a small dish was not edible. Such a bummer. I guess this place will now be relegated to a drink spot. The menu used to feel clean and precise and suited to the setting. It's a strange mix now and doesn't feel very modern.
- Not as good as expectedRenatoDined on 8/11/2014I came to this restaurant every time that visit New York. Have been at the bar restaurant many times and have to say that this time the food was not so wonderful. Would say average at most. Definitely something in the kitchen has changed for bad..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/10/2014Even with a reduced selection of choices for appetizers and main courses, the menu has something for everyone. The melon and tomato salad is very tasty. The sommelier is helpful and knows the inventive wine list. After many meals in the Bar Room, it continues to be a lovely space for a leisurely and delicious dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/10/2014We have been here many times and it is always excellent This dinner did not disappoint. I had summer bean salad and scallops. The bean salad was remarkable in terms of the variety and quality of the beans. Could almost make me a vegetarian! Service is also always excellent. The room is very well-designed. although it is an interior space there is photo mural of trees that is very well done and provides a nice frame to the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeenahVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have been eating here for many years. It is a great destination if you are in midtown and we particularly like the all day seating. We often eat here on Saturday and Sunday for lunch - a time when it is hard to find good food that is not brunch. The servers change over time but are always helpful and on top of the timing and the quality of the food. We recently had a dish that was undercooked. This was the first time we ever had to send something back. The server and the manager were very apologetic. The second serving of the dish came out quite rapidly - not a reheated version - as we had theater to go to. Then we were presented with a gift of an additional dessert to go. Good thinking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeFoodiewineloverVIPDined on 8/6/2014Best of all Danny Meyer restaurants, it offers wonderful, non-precious food, great service and a wonderful view of MOMA's sculpture garden. Best dining experience and though not cheap, best value we've had in NYC in quite a while.Special Features:
- Great but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014It's all great, but small plates that are the price of full entrees is a bit much. Went on a corporate card and was happy it wasn't coming out of my pocket...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time backlondondubaiVIPDined on 8/2/2014We returned to the Modern- Bar room after we discovered it as a great place for a quick dinner. The Bar Room has nice decent size tables, relatively quiet but still with a buzzing atmosphere. Food quality and presentation is extremely good, service is friendly and efficient. Great for lunch or dinner.
- Very Good...MCJTDined on 8/1/2014We went here on a suggestion from a friend and we were very happy we did. Food was amazing! Staff was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- OverratedFoodieamyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Loud, uncomfortable small tables, food over-dressed, and not deserving of the $600 price (including tip) for a party of 4. I expected more.
- Outstanding service - great settingCAandMAVIPDined on 7/29/2014The food continues to be excellent and the service is truly outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Pricey BitesleighVIPDined on 7/27/2014This lovely space and gracious hosts is obscured by the extremely small plates (of yummy food) at exorbitant prices. If the prices were more in line I would return again and again. We tasted delicious gnocchi - there may have been 4 tiny ones with summer squash, a tiny bean salad and a crispy chicken breast. I am a small eater and I left wanting. Sad.
- eat before you gooberoDined on 7/23/2014While the food is good the portions are ridiculously small, but priced like full sized portions, needless to say. And while the place is swarming with attendants, the service is surprisingly inattentive!?! The drinks are good.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodclosetfoodieVIPDined on 7/22/2014The food and service were great. A little loud, but we were in the Bar Room so that is to be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureRestaurantmavenVIPDined on 7/21/2014Returning to the Modern Bar for an informal but high quality lunch is always a pleasure. The summer salad with peaches was savory and sweet--just delightful. The Salmon was cooked perfectly ( and we had not specified the level of cooking desired). The dessert was scrumptious. The wait staff was attentive but a little pushy, trying to encourage us to order more dishes than necessary and clearing our plates when one of us was still eating. All and all, it was a fun, tasty experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reminder that change can be goodDemandingDinerVIPDined on 7/20/2014While a few old favorites are gone, the new items are even better. The constantly evolving menu is a genuine adventure - not a cliché on the list, and everything lives up to its promise. It is great to see new life in a place that may have been coasting for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contemporary atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/20/2014Contemporary restaurant with nice ambience. Many of the guests are visiting MoMA and have stopped in for dinner. Food average. Small portions, high price.
- Still a fan, but...PickyDined on 7/15/2014I love the place but I prefer the previous chef's style. So glad they kept the bacon/gruyere tart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014Food was better previously - reads better tha the execution. All over salted, bright wrong starter for one person, presentation still very pretty, charge for bar nuts& olives egregious (asked for nibbles as we were waiting for the 3rd of our party, those were brought over to our table, no mention of charge)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great art great fooddisappointingVIPDined on 7/14/2014I have been to The Modern many times and it never disappoints. The menu changes which is a good thing. Seeing an exhibit then having a wonderful lunch or dinner is the perfect day. The food is excellent the service impeccable, the room attractive. Definitely make it your business to dine here...art or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and chic at the same timeKarenDined on 7/14/2014The food here is always tasty in an interesting way, and the small portions make it possible to have several taste bombs. ThereS a funny carrot dish that Bugs would love.Special Features:
- Great!FlorenceDined on 7/12/2014Finally, a restaurant around the theatre district that's not cheesy and trying to rip you off by putting tons of stuff on your table! Great food, nice ambiance and no loud background music or the unavoidable DJ!!Special Features:
- montrealchloeDined on 7/11/2014Perfect Friday night out following MOMA visit. The food waas quite good - we ate at the bar which we preferred to the main room. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/3/2014The new menu (and I assume chef) has drastically changed the quality of The Modern - Bar Room. I am not sure why, but the entire dining experience has declined in quality. It may have been the holiday weekend, but this was really not a good experience.
- elledbVIPDined on 6/30/2014The menu at first glance seemed good but not too exciting--HOWEVER, my date and I ordered 4 plates for sharing and each was incredibly complex in flavor without being too rich. The marinated tuna was fresh, tangy, and well dressed with greens and surprising crunch bits. The carrots were unreal (yes, carrots). Who knew roasted carrots could have such punch! Scallops were cooked to perfection (buttery on the inside and nicely grilled on the outside...plus the romesco, broccolini, and hazelnuts were the perfect companions. Good portions too - the plate included 4 nice scallops. Salmon was fresh and juicy. All in all we walked away very satisfied sharing 4 small plates--usually not the case! Service was outstanding. Will be back!Special Features:
- Wonderful MealmrsmDined on 6/29/2014Sometimes everything just falls into place & you have a great dining experience. This was one of those times. The waitstaff was attentive & the waiter steered us to wonderful selections. I especially enjoyed the crab/radish salad & the carrots as a side dish rather than appetizer was a perfect suggestion. We weren't rushed & enjoyed a leisurely meal finished off by a decadent chocolate dessert with lemon verbena (to die for) ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre matinee lunchSNSINNYCDined on 6/29/2014Had lunch here with a friend before going to a Sunday matinee. The food is consistently good here and the service is always cordial and ready to please. I didn't give service 5 stars because I twice asked for ice and never got it. While this is a minor infraction I would expect no oversights for this restaurant.Special Features:
- Not Bad..ManhattanDudeDined on 6/26/2014Salmon was very good. Guest seemed to enjoy dinner. Service was fine. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningTBM1213Dined on 6/24/2014The Bar Room at The Modern turned out to be the perfect spot for a special dinner! Thank you so much for a great experience!Special Features:
- Perfection!DCGourmetVIPDined on 6/21/2014Stunning presentation, cuisine, and wine. Simply put, perfection. The foie gras and tuna tartare were the highlight of the evening. Visit MOMA, and then have lunch or dinner in the bar area, and you will have a sensational day.Special Features:
- Small portionsSB596VIPDined on 6/20/2014The food was great but the portions were shockingly small. I was still hungry after three courses!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014the food was outstanding; we will certainly go back.Special Features:
- MoMA VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014This is one of my favorite spots. The food is consistently good and service is impeccable. Our California friend raved about everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service / stellar food.HHFoodieDined on 6/12/2014We love The Modern and try to go whenever we're in the city. The food never disappoints but our lunch took two precious hours out of our busy day. We couldn't tell if it was the fault of the kitchen or the server. We will go back but if it happens again we may have to reconsider. We did love the maitre d' - he was delightful and was enthusiastic about taking a picture of us as we were leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.