The Modern - Bar Room
9 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Modern - Bar Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: 212-333-1220x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10:30 pm
Sunday 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at the Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks the Museum's Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for seated functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 212-408-6611x
A word from The Modern - Bar Room
The Bar Room offers a more casual way to experience an expansive à la carte menu in a vibrant and welcoming setting. The restaurant boasts an award-winning wine program, as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer, and spirits. Located adjacent to The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), The Modern’s Bar Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The Bar Room also includes a bar and lounge area to welcome guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant's Dining Room features a prix fixe only menu and a beautiful terrace space, overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Modern - Bar Room reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)vibrant bar scene (74)great for lunch (65)notable wine list (61)special occasion (52)hot spot (52)neighborhood gem (39)great for brunch (24)romantic (24)good for groups (21)scenic view (10)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (6)Show More
- Bar RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My time at The Modern was great however, I wish I would have known that the tasting menu is not available in the bar room and is only available in the more formal dining area. The whole reason I went there was for the tasting and when I arrived I was told that the bar room does not do tasting menu. Overall it was a good experience, the food was executed very well, the service was very professional and accommodating, and it was a great atmosphere to dine in. The staff did a great job making me feel comfortable and really took time the time to care for what they were doing and was very thoughtful of how we were treated. They set an example for what service should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service and decorNikki10023VIPDined on 10/15/2014Always a great place to dine. Staff went out of their way to be considerate. I said I was cold & they brought me a cup of hot water with lemon. My friend explained she could not eat the bread as she had to eat gluten free products. They brought her gluten free bread. She said it was the 1st delicious gluten free bread she had eaten. However she ordered white truffles & said she wanted it on Cauliflower not pasta or rice. This was to be her only course. The portion of the cauliflower was tiny - charged her $6. The truffles were 3 razor thin slices - $38. Even though we arrived at 6:30 pm thinking at that early hour it would be quiet. It was not and sometimes the noise was overwhelming - hence the 4 stars not 5 stars. My meal was excellent.Special Features:
- Stunning in every way!CTFoodieDined on 10/12/2014The Modern offered one of the most sophisticated and memorable dinners I've ever had in NYC. It was definitely pricey, but if you're willing to splurge, it will not disappoint! Every single dish, from cocktail to dessert, blew me away. Still dreaming about the Brussels sprouts plate and tuna sliders...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some changesNYC2BVIPDined on 10/12/2014I would like to clarify that it is no longer free corkage on Sunday. $35/bottle instead. However, opentable hasn't updated the info. Also, the menu has changed--kind of moving away from small plates (fewer options and larger plates are more than $30 now), however the larger plates are not much bigger than appetizers neither. in fact I don't like big portions when I go to restaurants, but I hope they could have charged us a few dollars more for our entrees and gave us the bigger entree portions. Nonetheless, the taste of the food is still good, but I think the restaurant is still transitioning its style. Right now, it is kind of in the middle.Special Features:
- 2nd time - last timestampeederDined on 10/12/2014Quality of the food is good, but portions are too small. The plate for dessert was covered by 1 one of ice cream ($ 12,00). We had the feeling something was missing.... . Sommelier forgot to fill up the glasses....There were at least 5 waiters around our table, but the organisation is a disaster. It's far too pricey for the service and food portions offered. By the way, the bread was stone hard.....Special Features:
- Amazing experienceCraigVIPDined on 10/12/2014We had lunch and were amazed from the moment we sat down. This is what fine dining is all about. The food was exceptionally creative and perfectly prepared. The server was knowledgable and pleasant and assisted by a host of helpers. The decor is chic and yes... modern.Special Features:
- Step up lunchmagicmikeDined on 10/12/2014Not for the economy dinner, but this is a great restaurant right next to the MOMA. Everything we had was unique, full of flavor and beautifully presented. When you want to kick up a notch, this is a place to consider.Special Features:
- Pricey and small portionsstarfoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food is very good, but the portions are tiny. We were very hungry later in the evening and grabbed a few slices of pizza, after having dropped almost $165 on a simple dinner for two at the Modern's Bar Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top shelf in every waymynextbestmealDined on 10/10/2014Hip, chic, lively with great food and superior service. When a minor error was made, 5 different people came by to apologize and offer treats! Food is creative, beautifully presented and very tasty. A new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uwsdaveVIPDined on 10/10/2014It was a great experience dining at the Modern Bar Room. The service was top notch, the food was creatively presented and of course it was tasty and memorable. We loved all of the dessert choices and the waiter ultimately suggested two choices that were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new2nycVIPDined on 10/10/2014always very good food,well presented and served. a treat before going to Moma...Special Features:
- Enjoyable light lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious from the small menu. enjoyed my lunch with a friend as we were able to talk and listen to each other in great comfort. The staff was very attentive; in all a very good experience. I will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprised at how good this was!salemwitchVIPDined on 10/10/2014i've been here before, and it was good, but not memorable. this time they worked to accommodate our need to be in a less noisy spot, and our server was very, very good--made good suggestions, wasn't weird abt suggesting we taste a couple of wines (by the glass) 'til we each found one we liked, and was attentive and responsive. the food was also exceptionally good--and interesting! all in all, a place i'd mk an effort to go bk to--even when i'm not visiting moma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceisnycDined on 10/9/2014We had a wonderful meal. I enjoyed the white truffle risotto and the scallops. I am not sure how to describe the scallops but they were awesome. I also had an amazing chocolate desert that unfortunately I can't remember the name of. It was beautifully plated with gold leaf and as delicious as it looked. The wine list is extensive and they had a good variety of wines by the glass. My friend had a bourbon cocktail with burnt orange syrup, it was special and I'm sure impossible to remake elsewhere.Special Features:
- Apathetic ServicephillyfoodieVIPDined on 10/8/2014Haven't been in several years....food remains impressive (including the prices!) and memorable...wine list is imposing with some nice gems. Service, however, was so disappointing. Our waiter showed not one iota of interest in us.....we waited and waited for everything....and his dialogue with us was perfunctory. The meal was good, the dining experience a downer.
- JJCCVIPDined on 10/7/2014Menu was limited. That said, the dishes we ordered were delicious.Special Features:
- really good food in a fun placeEditchefDined on 10/6/2014The food here was exceptional and is set up for sharing. Noisy fut fun atmosphere..Special Features:
- Superb ServiceopentableJPDined on 10/6/2014Service was absolutely excellent. Food portions were on the small side but overall food was great as well. The Citrus Carpaccio was one of the best desserts I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014I have been to The Modern-Bar Room many times and have always found the food and service to rate five stars; however, this time my experience was not quite as good as I had expected it to be. The Maine shrimp fritters were good, but not great, and served on a plate, which while attractive, was so small that one of the fritters rolled off it and onto the table. However, the salmon was delicious and roasted exactly as I had wanted it. I wish the chef would bring back some outstanding offerings of the past, e.g., lobster pappardelle.Special Features:
- One of favorites in mid-townknowswhatshelikesVIPDined on 10/5/2014Very attentive staff, great food. Brussel sprout salad was unique and amazing; desserts are very inventive and entres are perfect-- taste and portions. Great wine and drinks list and good advice from staff. Great for business lunch/dinner; after work drinks with clients or friends; great for brining out-of-town guests. Never go wrong.Special Features:
- A little disappointingmjanDined on 10/4/2014The entrees were not as inspiring or as tasty as they have been in the past. I did have a great brussel sprout salad though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014While the servers were very amiable, the crowded room made service very slow and difficult to get servers' attention.Special Features:
- Splendid EveningcmcdwhDined on 10/3/2014It's a beautiful room, to begin with. Comfortable and stylish. Terrific menu, too: we started with the Assemblage 1961, a delicious autumnal bourbon drink with a little kick of heat. Moved on to salads (not the strength), smoked carrot rillettes. Mains were fabulous: the most tender pork loin ever and scallops with cauliflower to die for. Best moment though: there were gifts being opened at the table and the waiter figured it out. The birthday gal made it clear she didn't want a fuss. The kitchen sent out a complimentary dessert and the server actually called it back before it got to our table, and removed the candle. Festive but no fuss: the way we like it. So thoughtful. Great night all over.Special Features:
- Impressive Modern CuisineTravelinManDined on 10/2/2014I had a delicious, post-theatre meal here with excellent wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TellieEllieTellieEllieVIPDined on 9/30/2014Great food. Neglectful service.. Ignored for 10 Minutes, appetizer order incomplete, main dish plated incorrectly. Bill was incorrect. Charged for an extra glass of wine. So loud, one could hardly speak across the table! Not for a quiet dinner, especially for those over 40.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/29/2014This remains one of my favorite places in NYC and I don't visit enough! The food and staff never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeeLDined on 9/29/20142nd time, in three years, dining at the Modern -Bar Room while visiting NYC. Happy not to be disappointed - the fare was perhaps better than the first time! Highly recommend the scallops.Special Features:
- Modern ArtEltonRonDined on 9/28/2014We ordered entrees and while waiting for them to come, we saw the beautifully presented small plates and desserts being brought to other tables. Our entrees were terrific, so we came back the next night for the small plates and desserts and we weren't disappointed. Between the great atmosphere, stellar service, superb food, and great cocktails, The Bar Room at The Modern has become our newest "go-to" place when we visit New York!Special Features:
- Outstanding but small platescapebetsyDined on 9/27/2014The food, service and atmosphere are spectacular...the servings however, are quite small and, as one can imagine, the prices arehigh. That being said, the gorgeous setting overlooking MOMA'S sculpture garden, the food itself were absolutely wonderful. A real NY gem.
- Saturday Sunset SupperFrandancesVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our Saturday supper at The Modern was perfect choice! We ended our daytime activities at MOMA, closed it down at 5:30 p.m., then enjoyed an early meal to kick off the evening. The host staff was excellent (in demeanor and dress), made us immediately feel welcome (even if we were in our Saturday afternoon clothes!). My husband, teenage son and I ate from every selection on the menu, and ended with two wonderful desserts. Finally, a special shout-out to Tye Anderson who was our charming, gracious and timely server, made delightful conversation, too!Special Features:
- They Surprised Us!!!ImpressMeDined on 9/27/2014There is a person who is constantly watching the tables to make sure we did not run out of anything and no one waited too long. We felt restaurant pampered. The food was excellent and the servings very generous. Each dish was textured which made the meal delicious and interesting. The Funnel Cake desert is delicious, different, and fun to eat. I had mentioned to one of the waiters who so diligently served us that we were there for my daughter's B'day. At the end of our meal they brought to our table their cookie and candy desert tray with a lit candle on it and when we left my daughter's to go bag had a B'day card in it!!!! My daughter is not a little kid - she if 44 yesterday. We loved it! Everyone there was so nice to us!!!Special Features:
- table service good, bar not so muchkaykayVIPDined on 9/26/2014a martini should be cold and served in a proper glass, neither of which happened here. disappointing and a bit affected. table service and food much better.
- Consistently GreatNjtravelerDined on 9/21/2014Thank you so much for having some tasty Gluten Free bread!Special Features:
- Spend time with the cocktail list!TravelingFoodieDined on 9/20/2014The Modern never fails to deliver. I was skeptical with the change in chef but this gem did not miss a step. Hard to believe that the cocktail menu exceeded expectation with one of the best bourbon drinks I have had in a long time. Tuna sliders were amazing. Scallops were perfect. Bread warm from the oven fantastic. The lobster sausage was a bit bland and they snuck unexpected oysters in the sauce. Dessert was comprised of the most fun and sophisticated funnel cake ever! Skip the caramel icecream side and ask for double pineapple. Trust me on that one. All in all a memorable experience as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality diningWalkToDineDined on 9/20/2014Portions were somewhat small, but otherwise everything about The Modern - Bar Room is great! From the endless stream of warm tiny baguettes, to the terrific bathroom, to the artful fresh flower decorations, the atmosphere was just great.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner at The ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The food was outstanding and the service was efficient without being overbearing. The wine list is extensive and was made even more interesting by the interaction with Courtney, the Sommelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT GOOD REVIEWOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014At the The Modern - Bar Room they do not respect the hour of reservation we have to wait 35 minutes before going to the table one of the persons did not receive what she order thy should respect more there costumersSpecial Features:
- A PERFECT MATCH WITH MOMAjscvirerDined on 9/17/2014Very good food and service. We were lucky to have the opportunity to profit from the truffle season menu, the fettuccine and the beef en croute were perfect and delicious.Special Features:
- An oasis for New Yorkers in midtownMikey10002Dined on 9/16/2014Great service, food and atmosphere. Been before and will again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 8/16/2014Other than the noise level, everything about the Bar Room at the Modern is perfect. The bread is delicious, the appetizers were fantastic, and the main courses as well. My husband loved the pork. The only complaint is the portion size, but the quality of the food is superb. The prices are on the steep side as well, but the tastes and the combination of flavors for all the dishes were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.