3815 North Brown Avenue
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://themissionaz.com/
- Phone: 480-636-5005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican / Southwestern, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Matt Carter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have an open dining area that is separate from the main dining room. We can accommodate up to 35 people.
- Private Party Contact: Sonia Sorenson 480-636-5005x
A word from The Mission
Old Town Scottsdale’s heart is beating to a Latin drum, now that The Mission has arrived and brightened the restaurant scene. Renowned Zinc Bistro Chef Matt Carter is now cooking up modern Latin cuisine blending influences from Spain, Mexico, Central America and South America. Home made Tortillas, Arepas, and Salsas are made fresh daily and all meats are prepared on a Plancha or a grill using pecan and mesquite wood that instills a rich flavor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mission - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
The Mission reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)special occasion (83)hot spot (81)romantic (65)great for outdoor dining (60)neighborhood gem (57)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (42)late-night find (22)notable wine list (22)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (16)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent Modern Mexican!FoodiegirlDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful Mexican with a modern twist! We had the pork tacos for 2 with street corn - delicious!! This is a house specialty. Wonderful food and service and also reasonably priced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, it was noisy but . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We were happy from the time we arrived. We couldn't stop looking around at the decor and the great-looking crowd! The food was presented very nicely and all at our table were pleased with their meals - especially the guacamole, salsa, chips, and margaritas! The staff - from the hostess to the wait staff - was full of energy and always smiling and helpful with answers to any questions from the food to the decor. We, tourists, all agreed we would go back!Special Features:
- BAD EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/23/2014AFTER DINING AT MISSION SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE WE HAD THE FOLLOWING EXPERIENCE 1 BAD SERVER WHO WAS A B-SER 2 SAUSA WAS DIFFERENT NOT THE NORMAL TASTING SAUSA 3 CHICKEN ENTREE SIZE WAS A JOKE COMPARED TO PRIOR VISITS 4 BARTENDERS WERE THE BESTSpecial Features:
- Didn't disappointclearblueoceanskyDined on 10/23/2014Went with a friend who had been several times to the Mission. What can I say? Food was the best mexican I have ever had. Critiques, wish they posted on the menu the source of the food, whether it was local grown or not. The food came very quickly but with a 5:45pm reservation we felt a bit squeezed by the waitress as if she wanted a quick turn to get more tips. Tables are also a bit close for comfort unless you have really attractive dining neighbors which is a good possiblility in Scottsdale. I will definitely be back! The food was that memorable.Special Features:
- Lunch made specialDavidDined on 10/23/2014Ambiance and aggressive menu wrapped together creates a favorable impression. Prices at noon are moderate and guacamole remains a standout.Special Features:
- Delicious, fun and funkyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/22/2014I was visiting my dad & wanted to take him somewhere fun, but also somewhere to get great Southwestern food. This was perfect! it was funky with tons of chandeliers, cool decor, a great bar & small outdoor patio with fireplace. He was comfortable & felt adventurous & i was loved the ambiance. I had the Primarita (while wary of 'skinny drinks' it was delicious). Starters were the chicken anticuchos (smoky, super tender) & the corn gordita- yum. Dinner was chorizo porchetta and grouper. Chorizo was so good i made my dad split it with me. The grouper was good as well- but the brussel sprouts and sauce made it sing. Pumpkin bread pudding was delicious and lighter than most. The service was excellent!!! Highly recommend this one.Special Features:
- HayesHayesDined on 10/22/2014Excellent traditional Mexican food (not TexMex) with fresh corn tortilla chips, mild and upon request a wonderful cerano/ghost pepper sauce. Excellent dishes for all 7 ranking from grilled chicken tacos, chicken with vegetables, pork, beef and seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FindMGHoffyDined on 10/20/2014Creative, delicious dining in Scottsdale. The food was fantastic and the drinks creative. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to be back!CandCDined on 10/19/2014My wife and I just returned to Arizona from Illinois and will be living here permanently. The Mission is the first restaurant we came to, because we enjoy the atmosphere, food, and margarita's so much. We're looking forward to our next visit. It's great to be back!Special Features:
- Scottsdale excellenceMeatPotatoesDined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and service. Whenever I am in Scottsdale Mission is at the top of my restaurant list! A bit noisy but otherwise excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Made a last minute reservation for a small birthday dinner. It was my first time and i was very pleasently surprised. When you walk in you feel like walking into someones home, and the salt wall is beautiful. I caught the fire flickering all night. The vaulted cellings add that modern touch and it was perfect. Started at the bar and had a strawberry coconut mojito. Yum! Finally sat and hadtheir tableside guac and some of the street corn. Both amazing and full of flavor. Entrees come and i chose the green chili duck confit. I mean what a great test of the menu, and i was not dissapointed. It was incredible. First time dinner and i was blown away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Tj1984Dined on 10/15/2014The food at the mission is phenomenal! The decor and overall attention to detail is remarkable. We were just visiting but we will recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for a Night OutM265Dined on 10/13/2014I took my girlfriend here for our anniversary, based on a recommendation from a coworker. From the pictures online, I was expecting the restaurant to be larger, with a more intimate atmosphere. This would be a great scene for a new couple, or as a casual dinner with friends, but it was much too loud (on a Monday!) to be romantic. Upon looking at their menu, the choices were small, but adequate enough for an upscale Mexican restaurant. The menu doesn't state it, but everything is a la carte - our waiter didn't tell us this and we ended up ordering tacos and still being pretty hungry after. The restaurant makes their own chips and they're not provided free - you have to order them (and they're expensive). However, overall the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!ItsmeJWGDined on 10/13/2014I love this place! The food is delist, the atmosphere cozy, and the staff is friendly. Everything I've had here has been delicious but the street corn and salsa is a must everytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi In Scottsdale.ManoloVIPDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant is very nice. Food was excellent! The avocado rolls were super fresh & tasty. The Tuna roll delicious. Service superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible take on Mexican foodDTMAZDined on 10/12/2014not your usual Mexican food smothered in cheese. Nice variety, and interesting takes on some of the more common dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good great serviceBuckeye211Dined on 10/10/2014We have dined at The Misson serval times and have enjoyed it more after each visit. Amanda took care of us during out recent visit and made out birthday dinner more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly delightfulOregoniansDined on 10/10/2014We checked TripAdviser for a good Mexican restaurant in Scottsdale. The Mission was rated best, and we weren't disappointed. Friendly, knowledgable staff, quick service, and some of the best mexican food we've ever had. The guacamole was outstanding.Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 10/9/2014Excellent dining experience. Always stop by when I am in Phoenix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening out!kupchu9702Dined on 10/5/2014Went for a birthday celebration. We sat outside, which was much quieter. Food was remarkable. We will have to return because the menu was so interesting we could not sample everything we wanted to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Bar-Like AtmosphereWearyWorldTravelerDined on 10/5/2014A very loud bar-like atmosphere more appropriate for groups than couples. It seems to attract a lot of tourists as well, so beware. However, the food is quite good and the service is professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch serviceTreyDined on 10/4/2014I can't say enough about our experience at The Mission. Our server Jemar was phenomenal. Can't say enough about his service other than it was the best we have experienced while we have lived in Arizona. My wife and I told Jemar to bring us what ever he recommended for the entire evening starting with the appetizers and finishing with the desserts. He selection in foods was absolutely perfect every time. The owners stopped by our table a few times to see if we needed anything and we can't thank them enough for the champagne they brought us to help celebrate our anniversary. The food and service was 5 star in our books. We have traveled and dined all over the United States and The Mission is now in our top 3 places to go.Special Features:
- WHAT A GREAT PLACE2foodluvrsAZDined on 10/4/2014This is a definite go to find in Old Town Scottsdale! So glad we went. The food is all top notch and portions perfect. Tableside guacamole is excellent and the Duck Empanadas is a real treat for the palate. Went there to celebrate a special anniversary and could not have been more pleased from the food to the very attentive service evident throughout all the staff and owner. Our server Lauren was knowledgable and caring all evening and really made the evening special. Explaining every dish and helping us decide. The pork shoulder tacos are excellent and pumpkin bread pudding.....YUM! Will be back and recommend others often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Reviewfoodjunkie09Dined on 10/4/2014The food and service was excellent. The ambiance was not good, we sat right next to the bar with an open door and people passing by constantly, also the tables are too close together, you feel like you are squeezed in like sardines. The food was outstanding but for the money the portions were small. We will not be able to come back as often as we would like.Special Features:
- Love - but bad experienceMateoDined on 10/4/2014We LOVE TM! my husband's order was wrong 2X. I was finished -he had another beer. I then sat and watched him eat.A margarita? not an option. No one came until the FULL bill was delivered. Plan was to have dinner Monday. Decided no. Food was EXCELLENT.Special Features:
- Mission dinnerPeteEatDined on 10/3/2014Everything was great except we ordered chips and guac as soon as sat down and we waited almost 45 min for guac. Weren't sure why but then discovered they have a guy/cart come to table and prepare. I'd rather just have them make in kitchen and get it in 5-10 min, before the chips are gone. That seemed gimmicky, and not working if it shuts down service. Priorities. Service first, gimmicks second.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We dined at The Mission for our anniversary and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and service was excellent. Our waitress took great care of us and made out date feel very special. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Night in PhoenixdgreDined on 9/30/2014A friend had recommended The Mission some time ago, but what clinched it for us was that it was walking distance from our hotel, and they had a good looking margarita menu. But the food also was excellent, imaginative and copious. A duck enchilada appetizer could have been an entrée; the chips and homemade smoky salsa spoiled our appetite for our seafood entrees. The main dining room was already a bit noisy at 6 p.m. on a Tuesday, but we were offered back patio seating, and the noise level and atmosphere were much better, less claustrophobic. Some of the preparations verged on the fussy, but overall the ingredients and combinations were imaginative and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch!RoxanneDined on 9/28/2014We all loved it. Everything was great- food and service. The tableside guacamole was fantastic, as was the Sangria. I will definitely go again.Special Features:
- A must-go if visiting Scottsdale!ShalynVIPDined on 9/27/2014I went to visit friends in Scottsdale and had someone recommend The Mission. Awesome! Great guacamole and the filet was one of the best I've ever had (maybe THE best).Special Features:
- BillydDined on 9/25/2014Food great......they need to transfer bar tabs. Once you get your table it can take five minutes to close out at the bar as the bar tenders are slammed and have a tendency to chatter it up with the wait staff as they fix their drinks. Their tipping arrangements cause them to require you tab out. That's their problem. Also as everyone says it's too dark in the restaurant . They actually hand out flash lights so you can read the menu. What's with that ?the food is fab I would like to see it.Special Features:
- Read menu carefullyLuvFreshFoodDined on 9/25/2014Very disappointing to get deep fried fish tacos. The outer crust is very thick and not too tasty. If menu had said deep-fried, I would not have ordered so be sure to ask questions. They were very accommodating on splitting a margarita (can't drink a full one and then drive home).
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014This was a great restaurant. The food and drinks were both amazing. The only downside is that you are crammed pretty close to other tables, and there isn't much space. It just takes away from the overall feel of the place.Special Features:
- Great foodladymaeVIPDined on 9/23/2014Great food with a wonderful combination of flavors. The pumpkin bread pudding is fabulous. The night we were there it was quite loud but the staff was able to relocate us to a quieter table.Special Features:
- MeredithVIPDined on 9/21/2014Our waiter Jemar was terrific. This is the 2nd time we have had him as a waiter and he is excellent.Special Features:
- Poor lighting and indoor seatingDonnaFiedlerDined on 9/21/2014The Mission's food was great! However, seeing your food, the menu or frankly much of anything else was a challenge because they keep the place SO DARK! Several people needed cell phone light to see the menu. When the poor lighting was mentioned, it was stated that it was to create a romantic "atmosphere". Really? Another BIG turnoff was the poor seating set-up. I really think THAT'S why they keep it so dark. It is the type where one person shares a bench seat and the other is in a chair opposite you You are privy to every conversation next to you and vice-versa. For the prices you are paying for food, it would be nice to have some "space" to enjoy it. They do have an outside patio that may offer a better set-up.Special Features:
- Good but Busy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014I love this restaurant. The food is really good and interesting. I made reservations and had to wait 30 mins for a table. At 9pm. There is a nice waiting area by the restrooms that we were able to sit down and have drinks (we ordered from the bar) so it wasn't too bad. The short rib tacos and fish tacos were really good, street corn is my favorite--super spicy and lots of mayo! Margaritas are good, not sweet which I love. Order a bunch of things to share, but they all come in 3's -- you just order a 4th if you have 4 people. They make it easy.Special Features:
- Great food but not a great placeLoveFOODVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food is really good but the tables are elbow to elbow with the folks next to you and they are too busy with too few staff. There are other places in PHX just as good with better ambience so I'd skip it.Special Features:
- good take on Latin eclectichedonistDined on 9/16/2014Interesting variations on various Latin dishes. Very well prepared and presented. Most could have benefited from just a bit more seasoning. Only complaint? WAAAY too dark!Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodReviewsDined on 9/15/2014My experience at The Mission was disappointing. We ordered drinks, wine, entrees, dessert, coffee, etc. The 2 pork shoulder orders came out and they were terrible. You could not cut it. It was fatty and gross. The waitress didn't seem that concerned at first. She could see we literally couldn't cut it so she then replaced both orders. The second orders came out 5-7 minutes later while everyone else was already eating. The second orders were worse than the first. So we waited again. Third time it was finally right. We were given a sorry with nothing deducted from our bill. Unacceptable and I won't be back.