3815 North Brown Avenue
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://themissionaz.com/
- Phone: 480-636-5005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican / Southwestern, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Matt Carter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have an open dining area that is separate from the main dining room. We can accommodate up to 35 people.
- Private Party Contact: Sonia Sorenson 480-636-5005x
A word from The Mission
Old Town Scottsdale’s heart is beating to a Latin drum, now that The Mission has arrived and brightened the restaurant scene. Renowned Zinc Bistro Chef Matt Carter is now cooking up modern Latin cuisine blending influences from Spain, Mexico, Central America and South America. Home made Tortillas, Arepas, and Salsas are made fresh daily and all meats are prepared on a Plancha or a grill using pecan and mesquite wood that instills a rich flavor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mission - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
The Mission reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)special occasion (79)romantic (64)hot spot (57)neighborhood gem (48)vibrant bar scene (43)great for outdoor dining (40)good for groups (26)late-night find (20)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Wonderful brunch!RoxanneDined on 9/28/2014We all loved it. Everything was great- food and service. The tableside guacamole was fantastic, as was the Sangria. I will definitely go again.Special Features:
- A must-go if visiting Scottsdale!ShalynVIPDined on 9/27/2014I went to visit friends in Scottsdale and had someone recommend The Mission. Awesome! Great guacamole and the filet was one of the best I've ever had (maybe THE best).Special Features:
- BillydDined on 9/25/2014Food great......they need to transfer bar tabs. Once you get your table it can take five minutes to close out at the bar as the bar tenders are slammed and have a tendency to chatter it up with the wait staff as they fix their drinks. Their tipping arrangements cause them to require you tab out. That's their problem. Also as everyone says it's too dark in the restaurant . They actually hand out flash lights so you can read the menu. What's with that ?the food is fab I would like to see it.Special Features:
- Read menu carefullyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Very disappointing to get deep fried fish tacos. The outer crust is very thick and not too tasty. If menu had said deep-fried, I would not have ordered so be sure to ask questions. They were very accommodating on splitting a margarita (can't drink a full one and then drive home).
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014This was a great restaurant. The food and drinks were both amazing. The only downside is that you are crammed pretty close to other tables, and there isn't much space. It just takes away from the overall feel of the place.Special Features:
- Great foodladymaeVIPDined on 9/23/2014Great food with a wonderful combination of flavors. The pumpkin bread pudding is fabulous. The night we were there it was quite loud but the staff was able to relocate us to a quieter table.Special Features:
- MeredithVIPDined on 9/21/2014Our waiter Jemar was terrific. This is the 2nd time we have had him as a waiter and he is excellent.Special Features:
- Poor lighting and indoor seatingDonnaFiedlerDined on 9/21/2014The Mission's food was great! However, seeing your food, the menu or frankly much of anything else was a challenge because they keep the place SO DARK! Several people needed cell phone light to see the menu. When the poor lighting was mentioned, it was stated that it was to create a romantic "atmosphere". Really? Another BIG turnoff was the poor seating set-up. I really think THAT'S why they keep it so dark. It is the type where one person shares a bench seat and the other is in a chair opposite you You are privy to every conversation next to you and vice-versa. For the prices you are paying for food, it would be nice to have some "space" to enjoy it. They do have an outside patio that may offer a better set-up.Special Features:
- Good but Busy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014I love this restaurant. The food is really good and interesting. I made reservations and had to wait 30 mins for a table. At 9pm. There is a nice waiting area by the restrooms that we were able to sit down and have drinks (we ordered from the bar) so it wasn't too bad. The short rib tacos and fish tacos were really good, street corn is my favorite--super spicy and lots of mayo! Margaritas are good, not sweet which I love. Order a bunch of things to share, but they all come in 3's -- you just order a 4th if you have 4 people. They make it easy.Special Features:
- Great food but not a great placeLoveFOODVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food is really good but the tables are elbow to elbow with the folks next to you and they are too busy with too few staff. There are other places in PHX just as good with better ambience so I'd skip it.Special Features:
- good take on Latin eclectichedonistDined on 9/16/2014Interesting variations on various Latin dishes. Very well prepared and presented. Most could have benefited from just a bit more seasoning. Only complaint? WAAAY too dark!Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodReviewsDined on 9/15/2014My experience at The Mission was disappointing. We ordered drinks, wine, entrees, dessert, coffee, etc. The 2 pork shoulder orders came out and they were terrible. You could not cut it. It was fatty and gross. The waitress didn't seem that concerned at first. She could see we literally couldn't cut it so she then replaced both orders. The second orders came out 5-7 minutes later while everyone else was already eating. The second orders were worse than the first. So we waited again. Third time it was finally right. We were given a sorry with nothing deducted from our bill. Unacceptable and I won't be back.
- Overpriced and louzy valueNikSDined on 9/13/2014This is a poor value. Small entrees costing in the mid thirty dollar range. i bet the food cost is not even 10%. Now if the food was great one would say it is worth it. The food was literally lousy. The chicken was undercooked and the accompaniment full of lemon juice. I am amazed at how people consider this a good restaurant. Maybe they are intimidated by all the hype. But overall I would not recommend this to anyone.
- food and staff was outstandingbonniebDined on 9/13/2014Our waitress was exceptional. the flavors if the food were absolutely outstanding. the only thing i would recommend is to make more room between the tables in the dining room. It was like we were dining with the couple next to usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeDined on 9/11/2014my flat iron steak was perfect and my guests said their tacos were extraordinary as well. Great food in a great settingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool neighborhood gembeachdom5Dined on 9/7/2014We were highly recommended to this restaurant whilst staying locally in Paradise Valley by another hotel guest. My Wife & I enjoyed dinner here last week, interesting setting next to a local church, interior very funky and great food. It's a modern fusion on Mexican food, creative yet not complicated or over fussy. Seating is a little close together so can be a little 'cosy' if it's busy. We would highly recommend to anyone visiting the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!JojostuckyDined on 9/5/2014The food was incredible. Great atmosphere and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackDined on 9/4/2014Best guacamole ever. Made table side. Great MEXICAN food...no tex-mex here. On our visits to Scottsdale our must spotSpecial Features:
- We had a great experience each timeLuv2duneDined on 9/4/2014Originally heard about this restaurant on groupon. Then a filt member said oh yes I've heard about that place and it's suppose to be really good. We've been for a weekend lunch, brunch and dinner and all were great. Service, food and atmosphere. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatMoxieScottsDined on 9/3/2014No matter what you eat for appetizers (don't pass up the guac), or dinner (the tacos are tiny, but delicious), save room for dessert. It alone is worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Food and Beautiful SpaceCSquaredDined on 8/31/2014We were visiting Scottsdale for a wedding and generally had been underwhelmed by the food options. The Mission was the bright (culinary) spot of our trip. The vibe was cool and romantic- a nice change from the bright and blazing heat outside. The menu was interesting and offered some great options. Everyone was pretty pleased with their food and drinks. If you like margaritas you could stay there all day working your way down the list. On top of all of that- our service was excellent- friendly and efficient- with a touch of formality that made it feel like a special outing but not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceMECJRCDined on 8/30/2014We arrived on time for our reservations, but the hostess informed us that we had to wait a short while for a table to open. That turned into 15 minutes later and the hostess told us there was nothing she could to because she couldn't just "kick them out of the table"...she directed us towards the bar 20 minutes later and said they would give us a drink on the house. About 10 minutes later we were seated, and our server, though very friendly, was not on point. We messed up our order, and we were later charged for something we didn't even get. The couple nest to us was having an equally unenjoyable night, and left as soon as they could. Overall, bad experience. Food was just okay, and not worth the waiting.Special Features:
- Should of come hear years agoFoodieDined on 8/27/2014I have know about the Mission for years and never made a great effort to stop in and try it out - Now I wish I would have many years ago - The food and Drinks are amazing - the table side Guacamole is Amazing - The Chips are Amazing - Everything is amazing and I am putting this on my regular visit listSpecial Features:
- Fantastic FoodPCJohn65Dined on 8/26/2014My wife and I ate at the Mission on August 26th and loved it. Do not miss ordering the tableside guacamole - it is the best we ever had. We then shared the roasted pork tacos which is more than plenty for two, and just melted in our mouths with the sauce that came with it. Also, their special Mission skinny margarita was simply amazing. Great atmosphere and great food made for a spectacular evening.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchmrsroDined on 8/17/2014Beautiful ambience, even during the day. On a hot Summer day it was dark and cool inside which was relaxing and welcome. Tableside guacamole could have been a little more exciting - the kid that prepared ours just seemed to want to get through it as quickly as possible. But, it was very good and the avocado was perfect. We ordered off the Brunch menu on a Sunday afternoon & everyone loved their dishes. Corn & Crab Pancake, Skirt Steak w/ tortillas and the Roasted Chicken w/ waffles. What really stood out though were the drinks. I tried the Pineapple Ginger Mojito which was fantastic!! Refreshing, the perfect ratio of fruit, herbs, and alcohol - absolutely wonderful. I could definitely sit there & toss back a few of those. A must try!Special Features:
- Outstanding!LuvtoeatDined on 8/11/2014I am a lover of great restaurants and this is one of them! Recommended to us by a local family member we decided to try it. Loved the decor when I first walked in. Its low lighting but the chandeliers were awesome. Next the food. I know they are just chips but they were excellent thin warm tortillas chips with salsa and definitely try the guac. We had duck empanadas that were outrageous! Our meals followed and were also amazing. We were so stuffed at the end and I never pass up dessert but i did this time. The server gave us a little taste of the espresso churros and cinnamon vanilla milkshake. Wow! The server was always around to make sure we were doing good and was very knowledgable and friendly. So glad we tried The Mission!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not GreatSusanVIPDined on 8/10/2014Three of us had dinner. "Not to be missed" table side guacamole was average. We asked for medium spice and there wasn't any; flavor was nothing to write home about. Decent cheese plate, but for the price, the slices of cheese are quite small. Skewered chicken appetizer was my favorite. Good mole sauce, peanuts and pepitas a nice finish. Steak street tacos were overmarinaded and too salty. There was a bbq sauce on them that was misplaced, but not bad. Unfortunately, the meat had that over marinaded texture, was dry and so salty I was really downing my water and could not really enjoy them.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Lunchbarb7Dined on 8/5/2014I went to lunch with three other friends to celebrate my birthday. The room is very warm and welcoming. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable about the questions we had about the food. We all ordered the street tacos and they were presented beautifully and tasted great. When we told her it was a birthday lunch, she immediately presented us with a bread pudding and ice cream that was unique and yummy. We looked at the dinner menu, for a future visit. I would go back anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMGShortsguyandsnarkVIPDined on 8/1/2014Wow what an amazing place food service perfect Food ambience awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible foodPureimpulseDined on 7/30/2014Ordered skirt steak tacos they must use that fake smoke additive it tasted horrible whatever they did way to much of what tasted like smokeSpecial Features:
- A little off todayRigatonyDined on 7/30/2014Typically the food is impeccable. This is one of my favorites. Today the pork shoulder & chorizo was dry and over spiced . The duck appetizer was light on the duck and heavy on cheese. The service was great as usual. Maybe the cooks had a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have to go back for moreindeedsousvideDined on 7/27/2014The Mission has a unique food and drink menu with a wide range of prices. And don't worry about the lighting, it is dim, but the waiters carry keychain pinchlights to see the menu. I found the wait staff and the manager attentive, very helpful, and friendly. Tables are a bit small and close, but we were there at an off time (early evening Sunday) so it wasn't bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic atmosphere for dinnernmjenDined on 7/26/2014I only had done a leisurely lunch there and was looking forward to trying dinner. The young folks were at the bar and the older crowd sat down for dinner. It was a completely different vibe from lunch! Our server was wonderful. He suggested the Smokehouse Margarita which was just the right amount of smoke and heat. The entire staff was attentive. My husband remarked that the food is simple, but so good. We had the mahi mahi and the skirt steak tacos with the guacamole tableside, which is a must do. The only thing that one should be prepared for is that it is very dark in the dining room at dinner. We used my cell phone flashlight to read the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, pricy and darkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Not a good experience at all, and the 3 words in the title provide the reasons. This was our third visit in recent years and our last, as The Mission has slipped each time we returned. The food is undistinguished, except for the salads, and the room is dark, crowded, noisy in a bad way (not energetic but irritating), and the service was grating. (Too much of the first-person plural.) Recommend trying elsewhere...we will.
- Great food and serviceTheCanadianTuxedo13Dined on 7/23/2014This is the second time I have eaten here and both times the food has been exceptional the service even better. Very professional staff that are always accommodating and welcoming to guests. Would highly recommend this place if you are in search of great Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlavorSJP1Dined on 7/21/2014Of all the things one can say about The Mission, the pronounced myriad of flavors is at the very top. Even if the service wasn't top notch (which it was) I would keep coming back over and over again just for the food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty yet too cozyTerezanatorDined on 7/19/2014Loved the food and enjoyed good service. Was not keen on sitting so close to other tables - had the misfortune of sitting next to loud talkers and mundane conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentWorldfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Loved the entire experience, from having drinks at the bar from a very knowledgeable bartender to the died and went to heaven dessert. Will be telling our friends and family about your restaurant. Plan on coming back for another fine dining experience. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would only change 1 thinkChls15Dined on 7/12/2014We went on a Sarurday night, the food was delicious and service was terrific. The only problem we had was with the lighting. It's very dark, even waiters had to pull out flash lights to see the menu. Other than that we love it, especially the Barbacoa short ribs. And The Mission cocktail was our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014I ordered the chorizo porchetta and was both delighted and disappointed with every other bite. Some were very tender and went wonderfully with the sauces, while others were tough and forgettable. The redeeming factor of the meal was the taste and texture of the white bean purée. I wish they would serve this dish as an appetizer with chips. Truly sublime. My wife ordered the crispy pork and cola lime glaze. The items were described as tacos but the portions were more in line with individual chips. She had the same issue with the pork that I did. The Primarita and Blood Orange margaritas were both delicious.