3815 North Brown Avenue
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://themissionaz.com/
- Phone: (480) 636-5005
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican / Southwestern, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Matt Carter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating a special occasion with family and friends or hosting a corporate outing, The Mission can accommodate all your special event needs.
- Private Party Contact: Private Event Coordinator 4806365005
A word from The Mission
Old Town Scottsdale’s heart is beating to a Latin drum, now that The Mission has arrived and brightened the restaurant scene. Renowned Zinc Bistro Chef Matt Carter is now cooking up modern Latin cuisine blending influences from Spain, Mexico, Central America and South America. Home made Tortillas, Arepas, and Salsas are made fresh daily and all meats are prepared on a Plancha or a grill using pecan and mesquite wood that instills a rich flavor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mission - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
The Mission reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (138)hot spot (87)special occasion (86)great for outdoor dining (71)romantic (70)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (47)vibrant bar scene (38)late-night find (23)great for lunch (23)notable wine list (22)great for brunch (20)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A little off todayRigatonyDined on 7/30/2014Typically the food is impeccable. This is one of my favorites. Today the pork shoulder & chorizo was dry and over spiced . The duck appetizer was light on the duck and heavy on cheese. The service was great as usual. Maybe the cooks had a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have to go back for moreindeedsousvideDined on 7/27/2014The Mission has a unique food and drink menu with a wide range of prices. And don't worry about the lighting, it is dim, but the waiters carry keychain pinchlights to see the menu. I found the wait staff and the manager attentive, very helpful, and friendly. Tables are a bit small and close, but we were there at an off time (early evening Sunday) so it wasn't bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic atmosphere for dinnernmjenDined on 7/26/2014I only had done a leisurely lunch there and was looking forward to trying dinner. The young folks were at the bar and the older crowd sat down for dinner. It was a completely different vibe from lunch! Our server was wonderful. He suggested the Smokehouse Margarita which was just the right amount of smoke and heat. The entire staff was attentive. My husband remarked that the food is simple, but so good. We had the mahi mahi and the skirt steak tacos with the guacamole tableside, which is a must do. The only thing that one should be prepared for is that it is very dark in the dining room at dinner. We used my cell phone flashlight to read the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, pricy and darkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Not a good experience at all, and the 3 words in the title provide the reasons. This was our third visit in recent years and our last, as The Mission has slipped each time we returned. The food is undistinguished, except for the salads, and the room is dark, crowded, noisy in a bad way (not energetic but irritating), and the service was grating. (Too much of the first-person plural.) Recommend trying elsewhere...we will.
- The following 1696 reviews are from the The Mission reviews archive.
- Great food and serviceTheCanadianTuxedo13Dined on 7/23/2014This is the second time I have eaten here and both times the food has been exceptional the service even better. Very professional staff that are always accommodating and welcoming to guests. Would highly recommend this place if you are in search of great Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlavorSJP1Dined on 7/21/2014Of all the things one can say about The Mission, the pronounced myriad of flavors is at the very top. Even if the service wasn't top notch (which it was) I would keep coming back over and over again just for the food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food reasonable pricetracykitchenDined on 7/20/2014I love their guacamole prepared at your table side. It inspired me to make my own at home. Tequila tasting has good selections. Must go if you are in old town Scottsdale.Special Features:
- Tasty yet too cozyTerezanatorDined on 7/19/2014Loved the food and enjoyed good service. Was not keen on sitting so close to other tables - had the misfortune of sitting next to loud talkers and mundane conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentWorldfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Loved the entire experience, from having drinks at the bar from a very knowledgeable bartender to the died and went to heaven dessert. Will be telling our friends and family about your restaurant. Plan on coming back for another fine dining experience. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would only change 1 thinkChls15Dined on 7/12/2014We went on a Sarurday night, the food was delicious and service was terrific. The only problem we had was with the lighting. It's very dark, even waiters had to pull out flash lights to see the menu. Other than that we love it, especially the Barbacoa short ribs. And The Mission cocktail was our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014I ordered the chorizo porchetta and was both delighted and disappointed with every other bite. Some were very tender and went wonderfully with the sauces, while others were tough and forgettable. The redeeming factor of the meal was the taste and texture of the white bean purée. I wish they would serve this dish as an appetizer with chips. Truly sublime. My wife ordered the crispy pork and cola lime glaze. The items were described as tacos but the portions were more in line with individual chips. She had the same issue with the pork that I did. The Primarita and Blood Orange margaritas were both delicious.
- Fab food!FoodDined on 7/11/2014The food and service at The Mission were great. The ambiance would be nice if we didn't feel like sardines. I felt like I was sitting on top of another patron. Unfortunately, I was reluctantly privy to strangers' conversations for this reason. The music was also a bit loud at times and some was reminiscent of 90s hip hop, which I personally enjoy. But I can imagine there were other patrons who were less appreciative of that music. It was very dark inside The Mission. It didn't bother me. I was able to clearly read the menu. However, I saw that most other diners were using their phone flashlight apps in order to see the menu. As for the food: The table side guacamole was amazing. The squash tacos were divine, as was the white bean purée!Special Features:
- It was just okayTakeMeOutDined on 7/9/2014This was my third time to The Mission. I probably won't be back. It is extremely dark at the table we were seated at. Flashlights (cell phone and the one our server offered) were a requirement. Tableside guacamole was indeed tasty but wasn't made beside our table. Asked about a house wine, was told it was a Malbec. When asked for more information, our server sighed and said it was a Malbec, she could go ask if we really wanted to know. You only have one house wine, the details should be easy enough to recall. My aunt was visiting on business from out of town and wanted her items on a separate check. Was told they don't do that. Seriously, it was 2 check for 3 people at the table. Never felt special. And wasn't told of any dinner specials.
- Good Food, Good Service, Good PricepickyfoodieDined on 7/5/2014The menu was creative, the food was bursting with flavors, and the service was wonderful. The only reason I took one star off was because it was a bit noisy for our family. Our server, Jemar, was friendly and very knowledgeable. The food was great not just because of it being cooked perfectly but because of the creative pairing of the sauces and sides as well. Most notable was the salmon which salmon done 2 ways. My son said it was crispy on the outside and silky inside and the sauces were to die for. He loved it so much he would not even share one bit with his brother. My chorizo porchette was so flavorful with the sweet and sour notes they made my taste buds dance. The Mission makes us want to go back to visit the Phoenix area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.SoccerFoodieDined on 7/5/2014It's been awhile since we visited the mission. But the mission never fails to deliver. Great food. Very energetic scene. Lots of funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place in ScottsdaleMesaDianeDined on 7/5/2014I love the food, ambience & service. Great place to take out of town guest.Special Features:
- Special findCelestialDiningDined on 6/30/2014I've always wanted to go to this little gem. Finally, I had the opportunity to go there for a lunch meeting. I'll for sure be back! Next time for a romantic dinner with my husband in the evening. The beef tacos and corn were wonderful. The service was just as great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurant!NJDinerDined on 6/28/2014I celebrated my 40th birthday here with a group of friends over the weekend. The service was unbelievable and knowing we were celebrating, they offered many generous extras along the way. The food was excellent. The atmosphere was very cool (a little dark but, they actually offer flashlights so you can see the menu and to show you your dish when they bring it). Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food at bestNicoleDined on 6/26/2014I had high expectations for this restaurant based on all the hype. 2 out of 3 of our dishes were over cooked. The meal was extremely expensive for what was produced. It is also very hard to see- it's too dark.
- True Olde Town flavorfranklyspeakingDined on 6/24/2014Fantastic place to bring anyone who isn't from Arizona ... First impressions are fantastic .... THE best serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestCdPzDined on 6/22/2014This is one of the best spots in the Valley, from one of Phx best chefs. The food is excellent and always consistent. You will not be disappointed. Best Sangria in town. Great spot for any ocassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatTravelinMan26VIPDined on 6/21/2014Once again The Mission did not disappoint....the food and service here are top notch....had the scallops this time and they were excellent. Nationally recognized chef.....don't miss this place. Can be crowded and loud inside but don't let that stop you!Special Features:
- ExcellentRecommendDined on 6/20/2014Have reservations or get there early. Staff all have service in mind.Special Features:
- Amazing food excellent staffnostrangertofoodDined on 6/19/2014My first time to The Mission and I was blown away. The food selection was amazing, the whole staff was friendly and very helpful. Amazing recommendations were made on the menu by our server and they were exactly how she described them. This was one of the best meals I have eaten in a long time. Everything was cooked to perfection and the service was prompt! Dinner was capped off with an amazing pumpkin cake dessert with so many flavors! My sincere appreciation to Chef Matt and the whole staff at The MissionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Unexpectedly AwesomeWashopefulDined on 6/18/2014I keep going to The Mission expecting to find at least one thing on the menu I don't like, it's totally impossible. Every dish is so wonderfully full of flavor, texture, taste that'd I can't wait for the next bite! You gotta go!!!Special Features:
- Excellent MexicanFoodies4azDined on 6/16/2014Fantastic meal! Definitely go for the tableside guacamole. Had the pork specialty taco for 2...excellent. Great selection of margaritas.. Well made. The restaurant is quite dark and noisy. Must talk loud to hear others at your table but food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findanniDined on 6/15/2014The mission is an elegant restaurant and the food is amazing. My favorite is the biscotti you get with your coffee. So yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing find! Worth the 350 m driveChrisandLisaDined on 6/14/2014Love everything about The Mission!! The service was top notch our server educated us on the menu to perfection! The food was so flavorful and delicious! Drinks were amazing. The decor is beautiful. Go you will leave completely satisfiedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mission accomplished!SemauerDined on 6/8/2014Hungry and tired from a long day we were ready for a relaxing, no stress meal. The Mission came through. First entering was a bit of a shock as it's almost pitch black, but as your eyes adjust you become aware of the glistening chandeliers and candles offering soft tabletop lighting. Note that outdoor seating also available however it was over 100 deg so we opted to sit inside where the temperature was pleasantly cool without being too cold. The primarita and grapefruit margaritas really hit the spot and paired well with the very fresh table side quac and spicy yet flavorful salsa. If you really like heat ask for the ghost pepper sauce! The pork is slow cooked for 18 hours and is out of this world! Best pork I've ever had. Great job MissionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodJackMeofferVIPDined on 6/7/2014Hot, hip spot....good, but pricey...................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not too muchNickLondonDined on 6/7/2014We were in Scottsdale for one night and wanted to treat our son to a good meal. As Europeans, we find that portion sizes in the US are generally too large for us, but at the Mission, the food tasted excellent and the portions were just right which meant we were able to enjoy one of the great desserts too!Special Features:
- Delicious!Jepa2Dined on 6/6/2014Interesting menu but taste great. Made us eat out of our comfort zone and we enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Never DisappointedDianaDined on 6/6/2014The Mission is one of our favorite restaurants. My husband & I really enjoy the margaritas, table side guacamole, corn starter dish and the food overall. Their salsa is also amazing. This place is definitely not your typical Arizona "everything smothered in cheese" Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible servicePhxFoodieDined on 6/4/2014It took 20 minutes after our reservation time to seat us and another 10 minutes before our server even came to our table. Our server was pretty incompetent, and it seemed like we waited a while for each course to come out of the kitchen especially dessert. It took about 15 minutes. The food was great as always but we'll be reluctant to come back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Foodhard2plsDined on 6/2/2014The pork shoulder for 2 was excellent and the sauce that came with made the dish. Table side guacamole was terrific and the margaritas were excellent. The sides my wife and I shared were okay. Nothing on the list of sides really stuck out but we had the white bean puree and the green beans with bacon. The best part of the meal though was the desert. The pumpkin bread pudding is a MUST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very differentYokohawaiiDined on 6/1/2014A very popular restaurant near us we've been wanting to try. The restaurant is in a beautifully restored old mission, thus the name. They kept the lights so low that I needed a flash light to read the menu. The service was prompt and friendly. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the food and drinks. The menu is on a pricier side. A very different take on Latin food. The jicama salad was delicious. The pork tacos for two @ $32 was good but very different. They give you a chunk of pork shoulder you shred yourself and comes with 10 hand made tortillas that are 3" in diameter, along with tiny (like 1T ). It's always crowded and hard to get in w/o a reservation so they are doing something right. It just wasn't our kind of place.Special Features:
- saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/1/2014The food was good, but way too salty. The salt was overpowering in every dish we tried (guacamole, skirt steak tacos, barbacoa tacos). People were friendly; service was reasonably good; patio was nice.Special Features:
- Go for the StewjudiecVIPDined on 6/1/2014We were there on a Sunday afternoon just before the dinner menu went into effect. Three of us shared the guacamole, and then, for the first time, two of us shared the Peruvian Stew. This is really a winner, and if you're not very hungry it's enough to share.Special Features:
- Fabulous Experienceluv2dineDined on 6/1/2014Took my cousin here for her graduation. My mother joined us as well. Fabulous experience for us all. We even stayed to chat over dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WinnerSH514Dined on 5/29/2014Tried The Mission while in Phoenix on business. My coworkers were skeptical because I'd found it online and chosen it based on the high customer rating and the large number of reviews. The reviews were right though! The food was fabulous and my coworkers loved it so much that we went back the very next night. The table-side guac, street corn, and pork tacos were all amazing. If you;re thinking about trying it, DO.Special Features: