3815 North Brown Avenue
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://themissionaz.com/
- Phone: (480) 636-5005
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican / Southwestern, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Matt Carter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Mission
Old Town Scottsdale’s heart is beating to a Latin drum, now that The Mission has arrived and brightened the restaurant scene. Renowned Zinc Bistro Chef Matt Carter is now cooking up modern Latin cuisine blending influences from Spain, Mexico, Central America and South America. Home made Tortillas, Arepas, and Salsas are made fresh daily and all meats are prepared on a Plancha or a grill using pecan and mesquite wood that instills a rich flavor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mission - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
The Mission reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (139)hot spot (89)special occasion (87)great for outdoor dining (71)romantic (70)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (49)vibrant bar scene (36)great for lunch (24)late-night find (23)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (19)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Not kid friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/23/2014Good was good. But they basically made us feel like we were a nusance because we had my two year old daughter in a high chair, despite it being well before dinnertime. The hostesses were nice, but the waiter couldn't be bothered. No kids menu; no big deal.. Asked for a few sides like black beans... He told use they are puréed and there were no other options. We ordered the tableside guacamole... Thinking that might be fun. Instead he just brought out our main entrees within 15 minutes of ordering, with the check soon to follow. He didn't forget the guacamole.. He just didn't want to be bothered. The good news is we were in and out in under 30 minutes. Food was great, but we won't be returning.Special Features:
- GREAT FOR OUT-OF-TOWN GUESTSscottsdaleloriDined on 11/22/2014We always enjoy taking out of town guests here. This time was a perfect experience. We enjoyed all the food we tried- shrimp appetizer, pork appetizer, tableside guacamole, all entrees....Our waitress was very knowledgeable and friendly. We sat indoors- great atmostphere- but the front patio with fireplace is cozy, too. Perfect Old Town location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemCaboMamaDined on 11/16/2014Traveled with another couple to Scottsdale and we were searching for "something different" and on the recommendation of others we made a reservation at the Mission. It certainly fit the bill, as it was not what we expected. Think gourmet Mexican with a twist. The pork shoulder is to die for! The most moist and tender roast we've ever had! We had a chuckle over the itty bitty size of the tortillas. They made the small hand made tortillas normally found with authentic Mexican food seem huge. Their Primerita Margarita was the best margarita I've ever had (and a score with less calories!) My friend ordered the Hericot Vert side dish. (Green Beans with Bacon, lime and chilepin) Not your average Mexican dish, but oh so tasty! Their customer service was top notch, our server - Jamar - took care of us beautifully. It was like we sat down and he personally guided us through every detail of our meal start to finish! Others have noted it is a noisy restaurant. Yes it is, if you're wanting a quiet romantic meal, inside the restaurant may not be for you - I would request outdoor seating. Cannot wait to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful twist on Latin food.LewisVIPDined on 11/16/2014This is a must if you plan to visit the Phoenix area. The food is amazing, and unique in the way it is prepared and served. love the french mix into the latin dishes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late reservationsGibbyMDined on 11/15/2014Had guests in for the weekend and wanted to show them the restaurant. Unfortunately, the only res we could get were very late. To kill time, we stopped in another place and had several drinks. This dampened our enthusiasm for the Mission. Going this late does not work for us, but would try again if an earlier time was available.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but loud and crampedTastybutLoudDined on 11/14/2014We have eaten here four times ... Most recently for our 34th wedding anniversary. The food is always good, but it seems that with each successive visit, the place became more cramped and louder. This time we literally had to lean in and shout across the table to talk. The tables are so close, that as people leave, their rear ends hang over your table as they sidestep between tables to exit. In fairness, we were there at 7 on a Friday night ... But I can only assume it got worse as the evening wore on. The server (Debbie) was energetic and pleasant ... We felt bad for her as the kitchen was backed up and diners on both sides of our table had to wait for food. She ended up comping items at both tables which isn't good for the diners or the restaurant. Our food came on time and was hot as we ordered the Bork shoulder tacos ... Those slow cook for 12 hours, so we knew the food would be ready when ordered. A fair number of younger patrons ... Nice mix of young and old and visitors. Definitely would have been better to dine outside .. And it is in a great location for visitors.Special Features:
- Big Miss at The MissionKnockknockVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was my fourth or fifth visit to The Mission. This visit and experience, while certainly anomalous when compared to prior visits, was bad enough to keep me away from this restaurant for a very long time. And this is in spite of being comped the entire meal, including a bottle of wine. This was on a Friday night and the place was crowded, which it always is...that is not a problem typically and adds to the overall experience. However, in this case it was disastrous. For example, when the sever came to take our order (after the requisite cocktails, appetizer, etc.), she informed us that, "the kitchen is small (I don't think it's any smaller than the other times I've been there), they re slammed, and I can take your order but the manager told me not to put it in yet". Od, but we were willing to live with that. Fast forwarding to when the food actually arrived (a very long wait), my food was room temperature and my girlfriend's fish was cold. When we finally got someone's attention, her dish was whisked away, only to return much later. This is when things got interesting. AS the manager brought the re-heated fish, I told him that we should not be charged for the fish dish. It was obvious to him that I was not pleased wight the whole experience. So, he told me to relax (which we all know is an incredibly effective thing to say to someone in that situation...NOT) and that he was giving me the bill with a zero balance. I guess that made him feel really good to spring that on me when I had just asked for a partial reimbursement. He then squatted down beside me, put his hand on my shoulder (another great move) and told me that out of the four or five other tables that had the same experience as ours, I was the only customer who was "bristly". So, the bottom line: I appreciated the complimentary meal, the food was mediocre at best and the manager could probably use a little refresher on dealing with these types of situations.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014The food was great. The ambiance was great too. For some reason the floor was very slipper though. Had to carefully watch step walking around the restaurant. Waitress had a little attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JBABDined on 11/13/2014The Mission had no record of the reservations we made using Open Table!! They did manage to seat us. Dinner was delicious, but our server was pushy, wanting us to rush through our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Mission is always great!MesaDianeDined on 11/13/2014When we have guests in town, The Mission is our "go to" spot. We are certain our guests will enjoy the setting, food, service and wine/cocktails. Our expectations are always exceeded. Prior to dinner there this time, we visited The Mission's sister restaurant for cocktails. Sitting in the courtyard of The House was wonderful. I can't wait to try dinner there, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, outstanding experience, great usual foFoodieDined on 11/12/2014usual dishes, had the clam stew, very good and tasted the other soup and it was also greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014Our reservations got screwed up. To make up for it treated to margaritas with the "good stuff" and desert. Nice touch. Food excellent and ambience as always upbeat and fun. Will be back next time in town.Special Features:
- Great!!!!LA49Dined on 11/8/2014Food and atmosphere was amazing!!! Get there a bit early to hang out at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food. Neat atmosphere.MelissaNDined on 11/8/2014We had such a great dinner here. My only complaint is we were seated in the back outside the main dining area. This outside area lacks the atmosphere and decor of the main space. Food, drinks and service were excellent though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it again on my 2nd visitGerGerDined on 11/6/2014We live in Atlanta and I came to The Mission 3 years ago and had the opportunity to go again last week while we were out for a wedding. The atmosphere is so alive, the food, well, there is nothing to compare it with the restaurants we have in Atlanta. I've bragged about The Mission to my husband for 3 years, saying it was the best meal I've ever had and you didn't disappoint me or him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impossible lighting ruins dinnersushiloverVIPDined on 11/6/2014While our food was very good, the darkness of the restaurant made it impossible to see what we were eating, which ruined an expensive dinner. Cell phone flashlights were evident throughout the dining room. The server even had one to show us what was on our plates when it arrived. Too bad we couldn't keep it throughout the dinner. The plating was lovely but you had to use a flashlight to actually see it. Trying to figure out where the bones in the duck confit were was impossible. The porchetta was delicious but since I couldn't see the fat on the pork to cut it off, I ended up with a mouthful of fat. Very unappetizing. We requested a table outside for dinner but the restaurant couldn't accommodate us. Not sure we will return.Special Features:
- Delicious!MaurColeDined on 11/6/2014Service was outstanding. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable, not intrusive. Food was excellent, full of flavor, not over seasoned. Wonderful, memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow kitchen!Kimmyj62Dined on 11/4/2014Fun place, great atmosphere! Excellent, spicy, very interesting food. Our night included a VERY SLOW KITCHEN. Appetizer and salads came out to us at the right timing, but entrees were at least 45 minutes later. Really late. Waiter did check in with us so that was good, and ultimately brought us 2 desserts to share at no charge. That was exactly what should have happened. So I am satisfied, and he was really a sweet waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High marks!MHCongoDined on 11/4/2014We brought out of town principals for lunch and they raved about it. We come frequently because we live here - but it's nice to have such a great spot to WOW guests! Our wait staff was truly marvelous! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitcacti1VIPDined on 11/3/2014Located in an old chapel-very tastefully done. Seating a little tight. Appetizer--guacamole prepared tableside was very good but a bit pricey( $12) for one avocado. Entrees--- Flatiron was very good and perfectly cooked but came naked--no veggies or potatos or rice....and at $29 was not a good value! Wife's pork dish was also nicely prepared and tastey but came solo as well. Overall a bit pricey for what you get!!Special Features:
- Ozzie's takeOzzieDined on 11/2/2014Been a regular since opening. Food and service never disappoint. Seafood entrees always excellent. Don't miss the guacamole and finish dinner with desert and French press coffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedEatsVIPDined on 11/2/2014Too expensive for what you get. Servers should be more knowledgeable about the food at this price range, instead of just memorizing what's written on the menu.Special Features:
- katandsueDined on 11/1/2014We had lunch on the patio and all was super. The server was lovely and cheerful. The table side guacamole was very good. We would recommend the flank steak over beans.Special Features:
- Pork dishes were excellentGood1VIPDined on 10/31/2014We loved our meal, pork shoulder tacos, pork belly appetizer, scallops and the best ever margarita! You'll need a reservation, it's a popular spot. Back patio has twinkling lights, front patio looked nice too. Can't wait to go back. I will dream of those pork shoulder tacos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin extraordinaire!ObanoneVIPDined on 10/31/2014Great take on Latin food. Do not pass on on the guacamole made at your table. The pork shoulder entree was superb, as was the grouper dish. Loved it all.Special Features:
- Excellent Modern Mexican!FoodiegirlDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful Mexican with a modern twist! We had the pork tacos for 2 with street corn - delicious!! This is a house specialty. Wonderful food and service and also reasonably priced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, it was noisy but . . .YoliDined on 10/24/2014We were happy from the time we arrived. We couldn't stop looking around at the decor and the great-looking crowd! The food was presented very nicely and all at our table were pleased with their meals - especially the guacamole, salsa, chips, and margaritas! The staff - from the hostess to the wait staff - was full of energy and always smiling and helpful with answers to any questions from the food to the decor. We, tourists, all agreed we would go back!Special Features:
- BAD EXPERIENCEsamuelVIPDined on 10/23/2014AFTER DINING AT MISSION SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE WE HAD THE FOLLOWING EXPERIENCE 1 BAD SERVER WHO WAS A B-SER 2 SAUSA WAS DIFFERENT NOT THE NORMAL TASTING SAUSA 3 CHICKEN ENTREE SIZE WAS A JOKE COMPARED TO PRIOR VISITS 4 BARTENDERS WERE THE BESTSpecial Features:
- Didn't disappointclearblueoceanskyDined on 10/23/2014Went with a friend who had been several times to the Mission. What can I say? Food was the best mexican I have ever had. Critiques, wish they posted on the menu the source of the food, whether it was local grown or not. The food came very quickly but with a 5:45pm reservation we felt a bit squeezed by the waitress as if she wanted a quick turn to get more tips. Tables are also a bit close for comfort unless you have really attractive dining neighbors which is a good possiblility in Scottsdale. I will definitely be back! The food was that memorable.Special Features:
- Lunch made specialDavidDined on 10/23/2014Ambiance and aggressive menu wrapped together creates a favorable impression. Prices at noon are moderate and guacamole remains a standout.Special Features:
- Delicious, fun and funkyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/22/2014I was visiting my dad & wanted to take him somewhere fun, but also somewhere to get great Southwestern food. This was perfect! it was funky with tons of chandeliers, cool decor, a great bar & small outdoor patio with fireplace. He was comfortable & felt adventurous & i was loved the ambiance. I had the Primarita (while wary of 'skinny drinks' it was delicious). Starters were the chicken anticuchos (smoky, super tender) & the corn gordita- yum. Dinner was chorizo porchetta and grouper. Chorizo was so good i made my dad split it with me. The grouper was good as well- but the brussel sprouts and sauce made it sing. Pumpkin bread pudding was delicious and lighter than most. The service was excellent!!! Highly recommend this one.Special Features:
- HayesHayesDined on 10/22/2014Excellent traditional Mexican food (not TexMex) with fresh corn tortilla chips, mild and upon request a wonderful cerano/ghost pepper sauce. Excellent dishes for all 7 ranking from grilled chicken tacos, chicken with vegetables, pork, beef and seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FindMGHoffyDined on 10/20/2014Creative, delicious dining in Scottsdale. The food was fantastic and the drinks creative. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to be back!CandCDined on 10/19/2014My wife and I just returned to Arizona from Illinois and will be living here permanently. The Mission is the first restaurant we came to, because we enjoy the atmosphere, food, and margarita's so much. We're looking forward to our next visit. It's great to be back!Special Features:
- Scottsdale excellenceMeatPotatoesDined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and service. Whenever I am in Scottsdale Mission is at the top of my restaurant list! A bit noisy but otherwise excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Made a last minute reservation for a small birthday dinner. It was my first time and i was very pleasently surprised. When you walk in you feel like walking into someones home, and the salt wall is beautiful. I caught the fire flickering all night. The vaulted cellings add that modern touch and it was perfect. Started at the bar and had a strawberry coconut mojito. Yum! Finally sat and hadtheir tableside guac and some of the street corn. Both amazing and full of flavor. Entrees come and i chose the green chili duck confit. I mean what a great test of the menu, and i was not dissapointed. It was incredible. First time dinner and i was blown away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Tj1984Dined on 10/15/2014The food at the mission is phenomenal! The decor and overall attention to detail is remarkable. We were just visiting but we will recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for a Night OutM265Dined on 10/13/2014I took my girlfriend here for our anniversary, based on a recommendation from a coworker. From the pictures online, I was expecting the restaurant to be larger, with a more intimate atmosphere. This would be a great scene for a new couple, or as a casual dinner with friends, but it was much too loud (on a Monday!) to be romantic. Upon looking at their menu, the choices were small, but adequate enough for an upscale Mexican restaurant. The menu doesn't state it, but everything is a la carte - our waiter didn't tell us this and we ended up ordering tacos and still being pretty hungry after. The restaurant makes their own chips and they're not provided free - you have to order them (and they're expensive). However, overall the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!ItsmeJWGDined on 10/13/2014I love this place! The food is delist, the atmosphere cozy, and the staff is friendly. Everything I've had here has been delicious but the street corn and salsa is a must everytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi In Scottsdale.ManoloVIPDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant is very nice. Food was excellent! The avocado rolls were super fresh & tasty. The Tuna roll delicious. Service superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.