The Mill on the River
989 Ellington Road
South Windsor, CT 06074Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Mill on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themillontheriver.com/
- Phone: 8602897929
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Mill on the River offers private dining locations for groups of 20 to 120. All of our banquet rooms blend our facility's New England atmosphere with modern set-up configurations and technology. The ability to customize your menu and setting make The Mill on the River the perfect location to host Business Meetings, Retirements, Seminars, and Corporate Retreats.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Manager 8602897929
A word from The Mill on the River
Located just minutes from Hartford and Springfield, The Mill on the River has been a premier dining location for over 25 years. Located on the shores of the Podunk River, the restaurant is housed in a remodeled grist mill. The classic New England ambiance is the perfect compliment to the modern American menu. The extensive menu features classic Continental cuisine with inventive International influences as well as fresh seafood and quintessential chop house offerings. Located in an ideal rural setting, local produce and regional specialty items are predominately featured. With a Wine Spectator Award winning wine list, The Mill on the River offers over 400 wine bottles and over 50 wines by the glass. In addition to the refined dining room, waterfront patio dining is also requested often. The restaurant is open seven days a week for lunch, dinner, and the popular Sunday Brunch. The new bar area is also open all day for a lighter fare menu, casual abiance, and creative cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Mill on the River - Best Restaurants in South Windsor ›
The Mill on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (106)special occasion (106)romantic (98)great for outdoor dining (80)notable wine list (55)fit for foodies (51)good for groups (50)neighborhood gem (47)great for brunch (33)great for lunch (25)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (8)Show More
- Definitely would come backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Had a nice dinner here. Our reservation was a little backed up but the hostess was very kind and eventually brought out appetizers while we waited. We were seated and our waitress was great! Attentive and kind. Food was great also. B.L.T wedge salad was great, although a little too much dressing for me. I had a great Airline Chicken and my pear and cranberry cobbler for dessert was amazing! I would come back.Special Features:
- Restaurant a WeekSweettoothDined on 10/17/2014It was restaurant week in CT last week. Have always enjoyed the atmosphere at "The Mill" and Thierry prefixed restaurant well menu was appealing. The service was phenomenal and the food was fantastic!!Special Features:
- Great Place for Anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Enjoyed the food, the place. Everything is good! With Reservation, we did not have to wait. Staff is friendlySpecial Features:
- Beautiful lunch spot--any timeDandPVIPDined on 10/13/2014Excellent food served in an old mill atmosphere....updated beautifully, with fireplace, window views of the waterfall, and just comfortable an delegate settings. Food choices outstanding, along with the presentation and food sevice. If you have not been here, truly come. A choice meal for any occasion.Special Features:
- Mill on the River review40yearbrideDined on 10/5/2014Great place for a romantic evening dinner for 2. We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary and were seated at an intimate table overlooking the waterfall as requested. Waitress made special note of our occasion and we were delighted to receive a small flute of champagne and some delicious chocolate covered strawberries at the end of our meal. French onion soup was the best I have had in years!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good OverallsassafrasDined on 10/5/2014Ate here on a late Sunday afternoon. It was surprisingly crowded. Goos menu and wine list. Most of the food was quite good. My lamb was almost too tough to cut with a knife, but my wife had the same dish and hers was fine. The appetizer, side dishes, and desserts were all very good. The service was excellent. The decor looked a bit old, but perhaps that was intentional as part of the mill decor. Overall, not bad and we would return if in the area again.Special Features:
- Return CustomersluggomagooDined on 10/4/2014I always take my wife here for her birthday. It's what she wants. The food is always good and the service is as good as it gets. I just don't like the sound level and layout of the dinning room that much. If there's a wedding or other party you can hear it through the ceiling but it isn't that bad. The food all but makes up for that for sure. They have an excellent wine list too. We had the shrimp cocktail for starters which was cooked perfectly, nice and crisp. The Hunter's Veal (Jaggersnitzle) almost brings me back to 1983 in Cochem, Germany. It comes with mashed potatoes and the best purple cabbage I've ever had. It would be difficult for me not to clean my plate. Desert was excellent. I had the chocolate cake. It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pet Peeve-being seated ½ hr latesallyddVIPDined on 10/3/2014I understand the challenge of guessing how long parties will stay at dinner, but with a reservation I do not expect to be seated 30 minutes late. The manager did buy us a round of drinks, which was nice. The food was very good, the highlight being the molten chocolate dessert.
- EnjoyableSandyDined on 9/29/2014Food well presented..portions generous…romantic venueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food LoverFreedom1Dined on 9/29/2014Food was very good, service was very good, atmosphere was very quaint. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- A good start then service droppedCTResidentDined on 9/28/2014Our server Jen was fantastic to start, really going the extra mile. The food was fantastically cooked, especially the rib-eye. However, it wasn't long until our server was perhaps oversat, as a group of 10+ elderly women, another group of 6 people, a family with multiple children, another couple, etc. wound up all sat in her area as well. My wife and I sat for quite some time waiting for Jen to return so we could look at a dessert menu. Then waited a long time for dessert to arrive and even longer to get our check so we could leave. The service started fantastic but ended on a sour note for us, based more on the volume of other customers rather than on Jen herself.Special Features:
- DonnaMDined on 9/28/2014My first time at the Mill on the River for brunch. A beautiful day, excellent service, great food. My only regret was not thinking ahead and asking for a table outside. I will definitely return to this restaurant for brunch!!Special Features:
- Nice dinnertravelladyDined on 9/27/2014The restaurant is located next to the river and has done great landscaping around. It is nice to stay indoor or outdoor. The food was excellent and for wine list they deserve Wine Enthusiast award. Really great place to have a romantic dinner or to celebrate the special occasion. It is priced very reasonably for higher end of the restaurant. I would recommend the visit. Service was professional and friendly. I will come back for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014A great place!! Great service and food. BUT we ate at the MOTR on Sat 09-27 and their was a wedding downstairs. The noise was way too much. That was very disappointing as we were not warned about it before we sat down to eat. Aside from this, a good dinner all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mill on the RiverNewingtonJohnDined on 9/27/2014From my initial visit over 25 years ago, the Mill on the River has become a dining destination of choice when I try to impress my special guests. Over the years the menus have obviously changed, but the level of quality, selections, service and a romantic setting always remain wonderfully same. My most recent visit here did not fail to impress me and my guests once again. Mill on the River was, is and will remain as my favorite special dining destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014No sooner did we sit down when a waiter rather rudely dropped warm rolls onto our plates. He actually stood there until we moved our menus. Then the waitress came repeatedly while we were waiting for our drinks, which took a long time to arrive. Touting a $150.00 bottle of wine for $120.00 strikes me as pretentious. After drinks arrived, she was back again and again.Special Features:
- Most romantic dining location!!CTFoodie4UVIPDined on 9/21/2014I've been dining at your restaurant for many years. From my sisters wedding to my wife's 30th birthday I'm always impressed as I leave your establishment The ambiance that has escalated over the years with modern renovations Is a wonderful SW Gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch pretty goodBrunchDined on 9/21/2014The complimentary bloody mary didn't seem to have any vodka in it but the smoked salmon at the continental buffet was very good as were the deserts. The pastries were terrible, dry. Everyone enjoyed their brunch menu items (seafood crepes, salmon). I had the eggs benedict which was satisfying, good breakfast potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerCalhDined on 9/19/2014We went to the Mill on the River on a Friday night. Our request for a window table was quickly accommodated. We had gone specifically to participate in the 2014 dinner, a promotion a number of restaurants in the area which offers a three course dinner for $20.14. When we were seated, we were given the regular menu and there was no mention of the promotion. When asked, the promotional menu was quickly offered and we did choose from that. All of the food we had was wonderful - roasted tomato soup, served hot the way I like it; salmon with fingerling potatoes and seasonal vegetables; and a warm apple strudel for dessert. A great experience. Our server, Emily, was pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The waitress was very engaging. The meals (3)were all delicious. It is one of my favorite places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food as usual, but . . .CinCTVIPDined on 9/18/2014If you want the advertised special, you have to ask for it. We went Thursday night, Sept 18, because of the advertised special "Taste of the Suburbs" menu, but the waiter presented us only with the higher-priced usual menu and did not mention the special offering at all. When we asked about their $20.14 menu, he went to get those, and we ordered from them. But the impression we got was one of deceit. That said, the food was good as usual, and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LennyVIPDined on 9/16/2014As always the cuisine was exceptional and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- diner101Dined on 9/13/2014We went for the first time because of the CT restaurant week. Arriving you have to walk through a small area that is used by smokers, and there were smokers! Definitely smelly. As we left we even saw the restaurant manager smoking there. Bibb lettuce salad just ok, salmon was tasty though I sent mine back for being overcooked. Second one was better and the apple dessert was very good.
- Mill on the RiverKathleenADined on 9/12/2014What a delightful find, my daughter is at UConn and we are always looking for an upscale restaurant and found it in the Mill on the River. The menu has something for everyone, I am a fish eater and they had a large selection and a great variety, my husband is a meat eater and he had a difficult time making a decision and was delighted with the Signature Pork Shop and my daughter enjoyed a pasta. Lovely wine list that had great French Burgendy. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Taste of the SuburbsKathyDined on 9/12/2014Everything was excellent, but I was disappointed to find out that Mill on the River reduces portion sizes for this $20.14 promotion. I have gone to many other restaurants during this special promotion and have never experienced smaller portions.Special Features:
- Great new place to eatLovegoodfoodDined on 9/8/2014We tried the restaurant as part of Taste of the Suburbs. First, we had an outstanding server. Attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable. The view is lovely outside and there are warmers if the weather is cold. The wine list was extensive, but there were also by the glass choices. Our food arrived hot and beautifully presented. The salmon was perfectly cooked and the pasta dish was delicious and nicely spiced. All in all, it was a great food in a lovely setting.Special Features:
- excellsntDiannaDined on 9/6/2014We were a group of eclectic personalities and everyone really enjoyed our dinner. There was such a great variety on the menu that everyone was able to find something to eat.Special Features:
- DisappointedGoodeatsDined on 8/31/2014While our server was friendly and knowledgable about the food, she waited on so many tables and it took her awhile to finally take our order. The appetizers were fair, nothing to write home about. The presentation of the dinners was noteworthy, it was lackluster and plopped on the plates. The filet mignon was cooked well. The accompanying lobster tail might as well have come from a prawn. The stuffed lobster did not have any shrimp and looked as if the stuffing somehow deflated in the cooking process. Finally, the hazelnut tiramisu was so disappointing. How does tiramisu become tasteless. I expected way better from this Mill Group experience.
- love to eat GOOD FOODLOVE2EATDined on 8/31/2014Chose this brunch to celebrate our 51 wedding anniversary. The service was great, the food okay. Love the location, would think about coming for a lunch or dinner in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinnermbo455Dined on 8/26/2014We go to dinner annually for our wedding anniversary. The service is fabulous and the food is delicious. We love it! Yet, another great experience at the Mill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not ask for more....10gr8ladiesDined on 8/24/2014This is the third time our group has come to The Mill on the River for our yearly "reunion". We have never been disappointed but this year (August 24th) was the best yet. Our server, Christie, went beyond expectations to make it a wonderful afternoon. From entering the restaurant to leaving all were friendly and caring about our event. All 10 of us were impressed with the friendly service and the attention given to us. Bravo to the staff and the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShannaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good except for my sons lamb chops. Very accommodating - we were late.Special Features:
- vinnieDined on 8/23/2014Extensive menu, always hard to make a choice. The food was excellent as always. It was our 34th wedding anniversary so asked for a seat by the window. At the end of the dinner, the chef sent us chocolate covered strawberries and a glass of champagne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 80th Birthday CelebrationDeesBDayDined on 8/23/2014Service was good, drinks and appetizers were great, 2 of 6 people ordered the special prime rib dinner and both were disappointed, the first was sent back because it was not cooked as requested the second was warm and grisly.Not all the meals were delivered at the same time made for an awkward 3-4 minutes. Dessert was delicious and the birthday plate was a surprise and greatly appreciated. Always have gotten excellent meals in the past but this visit was a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereRRybsDined on 8/23/2014Always have a wonderful meal, the staff is always friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service are outstanding!IdahoMaryDined on 8/22/2014We had dinner at The Mill on the River last Thanksgiving and knew that when we came back to Connecticut this summer, we would be back! The food is delicious and the service is the best I have had in a restaurant. Arlo, our server both times, was outstanding! We had nine in our group for Thanksgiving and six for this recent visit. The menu really allows for everyone to find a meal that they will like! If you are looking for a place that has great ambiance, food, and service. The Mill on the River is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special anniversary dinneraretiredmanDined on 8/21/2014After checking almost restaurant in a twenty mile radius of S. Windsor, we settled on "The Mill" as the perfect place for an anniversary dinner. It has a wonderful country charm - green grass, lovely trees, a pond, waterfall, covered bridge and lots of 'old wood' inside. We were ushered to our table immediately - no waiting thanks to on line reservations. Christine, our server, informed us of all the specials and answered all the questions we had regarding the menu choices. The food arrived just as we were finishing soup and salad - perfect timing. Our meals were delicious. The service from the entire staff was excellent, efficient, and through - attentive but not overly so. 'The Mill' met and exceeded our expectations. You must come here!Special Features:
- Consistent Great DiningDandPVIPDined on 8/20/2014Sitting by the fountain, on the patio, on a warm summer evening viewing the beauty that surrounds you while dining at the Mill on the River--it doesn't get any better than that. Excellent and friendly wait staff who are knowledgeable and accommodating quietly deliver beautifully plated food. And it ultimately is all about the food--well chosen and well prepared. A wonderful place to dine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014excellent food, great service, beautiful site, we have enjoyed lunch and dinner at this restaurant, and have not been disappointed. a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu items better than prix-fixeChristinaDined on 8/18/2014I had the pecan salmon the first visit. It was amazing! The 2nd time I tried the prix-fixe seafood meal which was more like a plate of mixed leftovers. For prix-fixe, the dessert selection is limited. I recommending ordering your entree & dessert straight from the menu; it'll cost more but is much tastier. There are so many options! I had the 'Hot Mess' martini which was on the sour side.Special Features: