The Mill on the River
989 Ellington Road
South Windsor, CT 06074Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Mill on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themillontheriver.com/
- Phone: 8602897929
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Mill on the River offers private dining locations for groups of 20 to 120. All of our banquet rooms blend our facility's New England atmosphere with modern set-up configurations and technology. The ability to customize your menu and setting make The Mill on the River the perfect location to host Business Meetings, Retirements, Seminars, and Corporate Retreats.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Manager 8602897929
A word from The Mill on the River
Located just minutes from Hartford and Springfield, The Mill on the River has been a premier dining location for over 25 years. Located on the shores of the Podunk River, the restaurant is housed in a remodeled grist mill. The classic New England ambiance is the perfect compliment to the modern American menu. The extensive menu features classic Continental cuisine with inventive International influences as well as fresh seafood and quintessential chop house offerings. Located in an ideal rural setting, local produce and regional specialty items are predominately featured. With a Wine Spectator Award winning wine list, The Mill on the River offers over 400 wine bottles and over 50 wines by the glass. In addition to the refined dining room, waterfront patio dining is also requested often. The restaurant is open seven days a week for lunch, dinner, and the popular Sunday Brunch. The new bar area is also open all day for a lighter fare menu, casual abiance, and creative cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Mill on the River - Best Restaurants in South Windsor ›
The Mill on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (119)special occasion (109)romantic (108)great for outdoor dining (87)good for groups (51)notable wine list (49)neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (45)great for brunch (40)great for lunch (32)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)Show More
- LennyVIPDined on 9/16/2014As always the cuisine was exceptional and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- diner101Dined on 9/13/2014We went for the first time because of the CT restaurant week. Arriving you have to walk through a small area that is used by smokers, and there were smokers! Definitely smelly. As we left we even saw the restaurant manager smoking there. Bibb lettuce salad just ok, salmon was tasty though I sent mine back for being overcooked. Second one was better and the apple dessert was very good.
- Mill on the RiverKathleenADined on 9/12/2014What a delightful find, my daughter is at UConn and we are always looking for an upscale restaurant and found it in the Mill on the River. The menu has something for everyone, I am a fish eater and they had a large selection and a great variety, my husband is a meat eater and he had a difficult time making a decision and was delighted with the Signature Pork Shop and my daughter enjoyed a pasta. Lovely wine list that had great French Burgendy. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Taste of the SuburbsKathyDined on 9/12/2014Everything was excellent, but I was disappointed to find out that Mill on the River reduces portion sizes for this $20.14 promotion. I have gone to many other restaurants during this special promotion and have never experienced smaller portions.Special Features:
- Great new place to eatLovegoodfoodDined on 9/8/2014We tried the restaurant as part of Taste of the Suburbs. First, we had an outstanding server. Attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable. The view is lovely outside and there are warmers if the weather is cold. The wine list was extensive, but there were also by the glass choices. Our food arrived hot and beautifully presented. The salmon was perfectly cooked and the pasta dish was delicious and nicely spiced. All in all, it was a great food in a lovely setting.Special Features:
- excellsntDiannaDined on 9/6/2014We were a group of eclectic personalities and everyone really enjoyed our dinner. There was such a great variety on the menu that everyone was able to find something to eat.Special Features:
- DisappointedGoodeatsDined on 8/31/2014While our server was friendly and knowledgable about the food, she waited on so many tables and it took her awhile to finally take our order. The appetizers were fair, nothing to write home about. The presentation of the dinners was noteworthy, it was lackluster and plopped on the plates. The filet mignon was cooked well. The accompanying lobster tail might as well have come from a prawn. The stuffed lobster did not have any shrimp and looked as if the stuffing somehow deflated in the cooking process. Finally, the hazelnut tiramisu was so disappointing. How does tiramisu become tasteless. I expected way better from this Mill Group experience.
- love to eat GOOD FOODLOVE2EATDined on 8/31/2014Chose this brunch to celebrate our 51 wedding anniversary. The service was great, the food okay. Love the location, would think about coming for a lunch or dinner in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinnermbo455Dined on 8/26/2014We go to dinner annually for our wedding anniversary. The service is fabulous and the food is delicious. We love it! Yet, another great experience at the Mill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not ask for more....10gr8ladiesDined on 8/24/2014This is the third time our group has come to The Mill on the River for our yearly "reunion". We have never been disappointed but this year (August 24th) was the best yet. Our server, Christie, went beyond expectations to make it a wonderful afternoon. From entering the restaurant to leaving all were friendly and caring about our event. All 10 of us were impressed with the friendly service and the attention given to us. Bravo to the staff and the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShannaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good except for my sons lamb chops. Very accommodating - we were late.Special Features:
- vinnieDined on 8/23/2014Extensive menu, always hard to make a choice. The food was excellent as always. It was our 34th wedding anniversary so asked for a seat by the window. At the end of the dinner, the chef sent us chocolate covered strawberries and a glass of champagne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 80th Birthday CelebrationDeesBDayDined on 8/23/2014Service was good, drinks and appetizers were great, 2 of 6 people ordered the special prime rib dinner and both were disappointed, the first was sent back because it was not cooked as requested the second was warm and grisly.Not all the meals were delivered at the same time made for an awkward 3-4 minutes. Dessert was delicious and the birthday plate was a surprise and greatly appreciated. Always have gotten excellent meals in the past but this visit was a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereRRybsDined on 8/23/2014Always have a wonderful meal, the staff is always friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service are outstanding!IdahoMaryDined on 8/22/2014We had dinner at The Mill on the River last Thanksgiving and knew that when we came back to Connecticut this summer, we would be back! The food is delicious and the service is the best I have had in a restaurant. Arlo, our server both times, was outstanding! We had nine in our group for Thanksgiving and six for this recent visit. The menu really allows for everyone to find a meal that they will like! If you are looking for a place that has great ambiance, food, and service. The Mill on the River is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special anniversary dinneraretiredmanDined on 8/21/2014After checking almost restaurant in a twenty mile radius of S. Windsor, we settled on "The Mill" as the perfect place for an anniversary dinner. It has a wonderful country charm - green grass, lovely trees, a pond, waterfall, covered bridge and lots of 'old wood' inside. We were ushered to our table immediately - no waiting thanks to on line reservations. Christine, our server, informed us of all the specials and answered all the questions we had regarding the menu choices. The food arrived just as we were finishing soup and salad - perfect timing. Our meals were delicious. The service from the entire staff was excellent, efficient, and through - attentive but not overly so. 'The Mill' met and exceeded our expectations. You must come here!Special Features:
- Consistent Great DiningDandPVIPDined on 8/20/2014Sitting by the fountain, on the patio, on a warm summer evening viewing the beauty that surrounds you while dining at the Mill on the River--it doesn't get any better than that. Excellent and friendly wait staff who are knowledgeable and accommodating quietly deliver beautifully plated food. And it ultimately is all about the food--well chosen and well prepared. A wonderful place to dine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014excellent food, great service, beautiful site, we have enjoyed lunch and dinner at this restaurant, and have not been disappointed. a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu items better than prix-fixeChristinaDined on 8/18/2014I had the pecan salmon the first visit. It was amazing! The 2nd time I tried the prix-fixe seafood meal which was more like a plate of mixed leftovers. For prix-fixe, the dessert selection is limited. I recommending ordering your entree & dessert straight from the menu; it'll cost more but is much tastier. There are so many options! I had the 'Hot Mess' martini which was on the sour side.Special Features:
- Service and food were goodRichLDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated our anniversary there, and the waitress and food were good. Wish we could have gotten a little quieter table. The table spacing is a little close together, which seems to be the norm these days, making the other table's conversions unavoidable. The noise level a couple of times was an interruption. The wine list is good with a wide price range. The dinner was good and desert was average. For the price I would have expected better.
- keeping the romance with herDiRenzos2014Dined on 8/14/2014this was our 1st time going here, our 32 anniversary , our host was outstanding she was on the money all night, the food more than a 5 star,wine list great, the view out on the back deck was breath taking, water / flowers / fish and the sun set WOW. the mill on the river was what we needed to refresh our souls . thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/10/2014The Mill never disappoints. Always great. Never lacking in charm and quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance aboundsSWRegularDined on 8/10/2014Wonderful time overlooking the full moon. Food is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch PlaceEveMDined on 8/10/2014I really enjoyed come here for brunch. Friendly staff. Great food. The outdoor patio was beautiful as well.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014The food was very, very good. The service was also quite good.Special Features:
- Our WaitressRalphDined on 8/9/2014Christine was our waitress and she was great very attentive, very helpful and pleasant I cannot say enough good thing about her. The food was marvelous served just right the atmosphere was absolutely relaxing will try to get back while dinning outside is still available.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!CTCaroleDined on 8/8/2014Our dinner at Mill On The River was wonderful! The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. We especially enjoyed the spinach salad. It had baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries, dried cranberries, slivered candies almonds, bacon and a fried goat cheese ball. It was AMAZING! It was my birthday, so they gave us each a glass of champagne and a delicious chocolate mousse to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againNeverAgain1Dined on 8/7/2014I sent the restaurant feedback directly. Bottom line...overpriced and underdelivered. Never again.
- love itleanneDined on 8/6/2014We got married there and returned for our 2nd anniversary and for our 10th. It is and has always been a great experience. Indoors and out it is rustic and romantic. Menu options are unique and deliciousnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerJonWBDined on 7/30/2014Superb menu. The food was great, not the best, but very good. The location makes it. Sat outside with a beautiful view of the river, large carp feeding next to us and a large variety of bird life. Service was excellent. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding ambienceSCKENYONDined on 7/22/2014Best spinach salad I have had. Food beautifully presented. We were made a special request that was beyond our expectations.Special Features:
- Amazing Service & Gorgeous ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014We arranged for my parents to celebrate their 46th anniversary at Mill on the River for dinner. We were so happy when they came home and couldn't stop talking about their experience. Their waiter went above and beyond to make their dining experience so special. A couple seated nearby heard the waiter talking to my parents about their anniversary and bought them each a drink. They had the prime rib and said it was fabulous. They sat outside on the patio and said the view was beyond romantic - which is not like them to say. From the service to the food and don't forget the amazing patio view, Mill on the River is a MUST dine restaurant. You are missing out if you don't try this amazing restaurant. We will be dining again soon! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were greatPaulyTDined on 7/18/2014We requested outdoor seat but didn't get it even with a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outdor seatingDianneDined on 7/18/2014Love that we were able to sit outside next to the river. Great atmosphere for summer dining!!Special Features:
- Delicious!!!ltreeDined on 7/18/2014The best meal I have had in a long time! The food was perfectly seasoned and presented. So fresh! The service was also wonderful. Our server was knowledgeable, but not pushy.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceDandPVIPDined on 7/17/2014The Mill on the River, the first restaurant of the Mill Group, has been spectacular since day one. After years of consistent execellence, one can only say the the Mill on the River has only become better, hard as that can be. Food choices are constantly updated. Plating is spectacular, as is the service. But it is the quality of the food for the price that makes this restaurant so special. Food here is delicious. Whether for lunch, a business meeting, dinner, special occasion, banquet or reception, the Mill is A-1 all the way.Special Features:
- Never a bad meal!torusDined on 7/16/2014We had a group of six and requested a table outside. They accommodated us once we got there. We had a wonderful meal on one of the best nights so far this summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 41st Anniversary, special timeJimjDined on 7/15/2014We had a wonderful time tucked away in the corner with a spectacular waitress named Nancy and I was just so memorable. Thank You, Mill on the River.Special Features:
- Lunch with a ViewDAK37Dined on 7/14/2014The Mill on the River is always a great spot to meet for lunch. It has a varied menu from light fare to full meals and daily specials. The entree salads are always fresh and beautifully presented. I highly recommend this restaurant for a business lunch, a meeting place with friends or a romantic lunch for two,Special Features:
- Awesome as alwayspickyeaterDined on 7/13/2014We were able to sit by the water on an early Sunday evening. The waiter was wonderful. The food was extraordinary. I ordered filet mignon which was excellent, but you really know a restaurant is good when even the mixed vegetables are fabulous.Special Features: