133 SE Mizner Blvd
Boca Raton, FL 33432Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themexicanbymax.com/
- Phone: 5613005285
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room seating up to 20
- Entertainment: DJ and Bands
A word from The Mexican
The Mexican Cocina & Tequila Bar celebrates the heritage of restaurateur, Dennis Max and his Southern California roots with authentic "border-town" cuisine. East LA meets east Boca at Royal Palm PlaceContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Mexican reviews from OpenTable diners
- The hostess had no interestjserraoDined on 5/19/2013The hostess had no interest in our arrival. Once we were seated, we waited, but the waiter was good and the food turned out to be excellent- good save.Special Features:
- Guacamole was good but otherfoodalogueDined on 5/11/2013Guacamole was good but other dishes were just run of the mill.
- Dinner was just OK, not aReedoVIPDined on 4/26/2013Dinner was just OK, not a great mexican restaurant, I expected upscale dining from a Max's restaurant located in Royal Palm Plaza, but this place really didn't have an identity. I prefer Baja Cafe for mexican food, authentic.
- Was expecting a lot more fromOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/23/2013Was expecting a lot more from a Max restaurant. Very basic Mexican food nothing special or authentic.
- Disappointing Food and Service.HerbDined on 4/20/2013My husband and I went Saturday evening for 6pm. Happy Hour is stated on their website with the following information- 4-7 pm EVERYDAY, 1/2 price appetizers and $5 House Margaritas. We got to the restaurant and were told we could only sit at certain tables in order to qualify for Happy Hour specials. In addition, we were told the website was wrong and no longer are $5 Margaritas offered they are buy 1 get 1 (I only wanted 1). Food arrived and was mediocre. My husband had steak fajitas and I had a seafood enchilada. We ordered chicken fajitas for take-out for our son (hoping it may be better). We arrived home and they had forgotten to put the tortillas in for the fajitas- great for $15.00. Food and service disappointing. J. Bat
- It changed for the worseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/19/2013I had been to The Mexican twice before - and loved it. The concept was upscale Mexican, with interesting (more gourmet) takes on classic dishes. Unfortunately, the menu changed during the time between visit #2 and #3 - and now, the food is okay. It's a good bar, but no longer a good restaurant.
- Good Margarita's (little pricey).OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/13/2013Good Margarita's (little pricey). Very good tortilla soup. Recommend the vegetarian enchilada. Fresh Tacos and burritos.Special Features:
- great place for fun and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013A great time had by all - - - - this place is a winner - - - the manager makes sure the service is the best ! plus their happy hour is crazy!Special Features:
- Going down hill fast. GetsWendySVIPDined on 4/8/2013Going down hill fast. Gets worse every time I go. I am done. Too bad because I really liked the food.
- Unusual eatery. Flavors aremichaelVIPDined on 3/30/2013Unusual eatery. Flavors are not particularly Mexican, more of a Latin flavor, but the food is nonetheless well seasoned and different enough to merit a return visit. Noise level is high but tolerable.
- More for college kidsNYAttorneyVIPDined on 3/29/2013It's a great informal place for kids. The staff consists of young college kids who are more into socializing with each other than serving their guests. While the food is good, it ain't great. And the price is right. All they need to do is focus on the service and the place would be more enjoyable.
- This is our third trip toWendySVIPDined on 3/21/2013This is our third trip to The Mexican. The food is consistently very good. I love the steak fajitas. The menu keeps changing and the prices keep rising. They have taken my favorite jalapeno-infused tequila and watermelon drink off the menu. It was not busy when we ate here recently but the service was awful. We sat there for at least 5-10 minutes before they took our drink order and another 10 minutes before they could pour a glass of sangria and tell us they were out of a type of bottled Mexican beer. I really want to love this place. The food is great but we keep having spotty service. The prices are getting crazy--$25 for steak fajitas and $12 for their low grade margarita. I hope management can get this restaurant under control.
- Good Food Slow ServiceLESLEYVIPDined on 3/18/2013Having read the reviews we were prepared for good food and slow service. That is exactly what we got. We dined on a rainy Tuesday night at 6:30. The restaurant was almost empty with a only a few tables filled both inside and outside. The slow service could probably be attributed to the kitchen and not the wait staff, who seemed to be trying very hard. The chips and salsa were well done with 2 different salsas and tortillas that were not greasy. The chicken tacos were excellent with pulled chicken and sauteed onions perfectly prepared. The veggie enchilada was very cheesy but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is well worth checking out.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/15/2013This is the first time we have been to this restaurant and it was well worth going too. We had a great time. The appetizers and great and the dinner items are very good but not great. The service is excellent. It is overall a great place to unwind and have a great meal. We cant wait to go again.Special Features:
- Just okYummyVIPDined on 3/9/2013Server and host were very nice and we had a good time but the food was good not great. There are too many other Mexican restaurants that cost less than this and the food is better where I would spend my money.
- we really enjoyed our meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/9/2013we really enjoyed our meal. the only drawback was the length of time we had to wait to get it. the waitress was very nice and tried to be accomodating, but she could not rush the kitchen any faster. we ordered, got our salsa and chips right away and waited over an hour to get our main courses.Special Features:
- Great food and service. IfOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/9/2013Great food and service. If you are not in a rush and want great mexican this is the place to go. Yes the kitchen is very slow but the food is worth it. We have been there several times and always very good.Special Features:
- The Mexican sparklesCadguruDined on 3/9/2013Terrific food, try guacamole and steak special. A bit pricey, but worth it.Special Features:
- COULD'VE BEEN A CONTENDERNYAttorneyVIPDined on 3/8/2013It's truly shameful when an establishment has the essential foundation -- the food -- where it needs to be, but the other elements of the dining experience are lacking. That's The Story for The Mexican. It hits with the food, but misses with service. The waitstaff seems to consist of inexperienced (and unfocused) college kids who are more concerned about having their side-conversations than attending to their customers. Could also excuse the dark, somewhat dingy, decor/interior, had it not been for the service lapses. (In a nutshell: reasonably priced, good Mexican fare, but service is in dire need of improvement.)
- Very good food, but somewhatBoca4FoodiesVIPDined on 3/7/2013Very good food, but somewhat over priced. Very popular bar, very noisy. I think I should be 30 years younger to really appreciate The Mexican. One big complaint... Happy hour is available only in the bar area. You can't sit in a booth or regular table in the dining area ( which us right next to the bar) and have dinner and also have the benefit if happy hour prices.Special Features:
- Tacos were good, but thereluvfrenchfoodVIPDined on 2/25/2013Tacos were good, but there was a sweetness that made them less than perfect. Veggie Enchilada was very good as was the guacamole. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- For a Max restaurant - theposimp99VIPDined on 2/17/2013For a Max restaurant - the service was terrible. We ony had the guacamole which was good, the green salsa was great and the chicken quesadilla was also very good. But the service was so bad that after we ordered and ate our appetizers (from a server other than our server) we paid our check and left
- The Mexican is top notch Tex-MexOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013Having eaten in Tex-Mex restaurants all over the country, I can honestly say this is one of the best ever, outside of San Antonio. Their beef fajitas were the best I have ever had. There fresh made guacamole was to die for. If you are looking for an upscale Mex-Mex restaurant in the Boac Raton area, this will meet all your expectations.Special Features:
- Service was really slow...andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Service was really slow...and it wasn't because there were a lot of people there. It topo At least 15 minutes for someone to come over and say hi (and it was a manager who did if first because she saw us sitting there). My hot appetizer came out before my chips (which doesn't make any sense) and it took to long to get our to go box that we just left it. Service was just way too slow.Special Features:
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/11/2013We were a party of 8 and I was the only one who loves Mexican food. The guacamole made fresh in the "bus" came just the everybody wanted it with sides oh chipotle sauce and chopped jalapinio peppers to spice it up. The complimentary chips were fresh but the salsa needed a little spice. We consumed the pitcher of Margaritas quickly. Three of us had salmon mole verde and were licking our plates. The two who had the chicken did lick their plates. How can I describe the Mexican bread pudding we shared for dessert? Heavenly!!!!!!Special Features:
- Very noisey from Bar == guacamoleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/8/2013Very noisey from Bar == guacamole was okay not great -- margaritas were too sweet & too much ice in glass fajitas were good -- burritos did not come with rice & beans which you do get in most Mesican restaurantsSpecial Features:
- Four of us liked the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Four of us liked the atmosphere very much. Three of us did not find our meals meeting our expectations of great Mexican food. One enjoyed her meal and took some home. One did not like the sauce that that tasted like barbecue sauce. We all are regular diners at Max's at Migner and we would try this new venue one more time. We all like spicey Mexican food, and that was lacking in our choices. Chips and Salsa and drinks were excellent. Server was very good too!Special Features:
- The Mexican RocksOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/24/2013enjoyed the food and get the guacamole. they had live music so that was great!Special Features:
- The kitchen was very slow.debbyx1xVIPDined on 1/19/2013The kitchen was very slow. Our server was great but dinner dragged on. I am not sure I would go back because of this experience and it was my second time in two weeks.Special Features:
- Great Mexican SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/18/2013Food was great. Second time there and our new favorite Mexican. The waitress was wonderful even on a busy evening. From start to finish great neighborhood gem! The mojito was a great drink. Great food and service what more can you ask for.Special Features:
- Give it a whirl!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2013Great place to hang out at the bar with friends and maybe have a bite to eat. Found dining inside a little too noisy. Would have been better to hang out outside where it seemed quieter even with live music! Felt more like dining in the middle of a night club. I'd go back for drinks and noshes, but, not for a nice dinner with my husband.Special Features:
- It has great potential butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2013It has great potential but lots of kinks to work out. The bar scene is the focus and extremely loud, as it is situated in the restaurant's seating area. It took 20 minutes for us to get our drinks after ordering our food. Especially disappointing considering it was a bottled beer and a glass of wine. The draft beer on the menu I wanted was out (this was at 7:00PM). Food was good, but have to pay for chips and salsa and the guacamole was made with underripe avocados. We will give it six months before we return.Special Features:
- Food was good! Not the "SouthernMaxineDined on 1/18/2013Food was good! Not the "Southern California-inspired Mexican" that I was led to believe, but still very good. I had seafood enchiladas and took half of it home (even better the next day!). The delight was a side dish - Mexican corn on the cob. Check out their menu for the description. DEE-LISH! Service, however, was slow. They had more of a bar than dinner crowd when we were there (6:30 p.m. on a Friday night) and drinks were v-e-r-y s-l-o-w getting to us even though they had at least 4 bartenders. Waitress was very nice and very apologetic. That said, we would go back again.Special Features:
- Most enjoyable. The fajitasHowardr48VIPDined on 1/15/2013Most enjoyable. The fajitas were very good and the portions were plentiful. They could use a little more heat in the house made salsas, but other than that no complaints.Special Features:
- not worth $80.00OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/12/2013Avocado: Very good Fajitas: Very good both chicken and Shrimp Rice and Beans: cold, no good
- The food was good. The tastecraigvanwagnerVIPDined on 1/12/2013The food was good. The taste of the guacamole was excellent, however the portion size served with chips was disappointingly Small.Special Features:
- It was quite noisy. ButDineoutspecialistVIPDined on 1/10/2013It was quite noisy. But once seated - the noise just didn't seem that bad. Quesidillas were excellent. I have the veggie only. My partner had the empanadas which were quite good also. The one thing that was not to my liking was the guacamole. Very salty. If they cut down on the salt - that would be a good thing. I had a marquerita on the rocks and it also was quite good.Special Features:
- The food was very good. TheblueskiesVIPDined on 1/9/2013The food was very good. The bar is an active neighborhood scene which makes it noisy for the outside tables. The music was very loud which is not as good for dining. The temperature inside was too cold. But we would definitely go back to try more dishes. We had the chicken fajite and a chicken burrito. Both were yummy. The two dips served with chips when you sit down were both delicious. Service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Will go back soon.VeganforLifeVIPDined on 1/7/2013We arrived to a quiet room but as the evening got later, the crowd grew and I can understand why. The food was as fresh as can be. The kitchen was very accommodating to my vegan request and the rest of our party enjoyed their food too. Loved the decor and our waitress Ashley was great. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Good food. Good drinks. FriendlyLisaAnnDined on 1/5/2013Good food. Good drinks. Friendly people. Service was just a bit off. Food comes out fast but slow to get drinksSpecial Features: