The Merry Table
43 Wharf St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
The Merry Table
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://themerrytable.com/
- Phone: 2078994494
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:15pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Alexandre
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant could be rented for private parties
- Private Party Contact: Jean Claude Vassalle 2078994494
A word from The Merry Table
French Restaurant with French Native Staff, Cozy Dining room with fireplace, outdoor dining, and Bar. The Menu offers a variety of savory and sweet crepes, French Classic entrees and regional specialties.Continued
Full bar available.
Full bar available.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Merry Table reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (8)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- ComelonaDined on 8/23/2014We were a group of 7 and had an alcove to ourselves, that made it easy for conversation. Everybody enjoyed the food very much, I had a most amazing scallop risotto and the best creme brule! Our waiter was very attentive and didn't flinch at our request for separate checks. I ordered a Negroni and that is the only thing that didn't come up to par...but no big deal. Overall, a very nice experience, we will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply charmingjjvoyerDined on 8/16/2014This is a small restaurant on funky Wharf St. in Portland. It reminded us of charming little places we ate in in France and Italy. It's the kind of place you're happy you found. Great food, service not rushed, European ambiance. Every occasion is special if you have the opportunity to eat at the Merry Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lacking attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014I made reservation via Open Table noting is was a birthday but nothing was said. Also, this place was rated as having Gluten-Free items on a GF app, but it was Not. Food was incredible, price was very reasonable, but service was having trouble. Server had to be sent out to get more scallops (it was a special item, and we had them, but luckily enough were on hand for us--it was still early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodEricDined on 8/2/2014Oddly enough, French people staffing, cooking, and waiting in a French restaurant do a fantastic job. In all seriousness, I took my parents to this fine restaurant, and it was so good that I will forever remember my meal, which was the best piece of pork (filet) that I've ever had on a plate. The lobster bisque had healthy amounts of lobster meat as well as fantastic base. My parents had a "Texan crepe" and a seafood crepe. Both had the French Onion soup to start. They agreed it was one of the best meals they've ever had. I doubt I will be back in Portland again for some time, but when I am there again, I hope to see this restaurant still doing well. I will be sure to drop in for some food.Special Features:
- First Visit Seeds Second VisitDiningCar415Dined on 7/12/2014Didn't need the reservations we'd made, had choice of several empty tables. My "Cordon Bleu" crepe was loaded with chunks of chicken & ham, and the multiple cheeses were a great twist. My wife's "Epinard," a vegetarian, was loaded with fresh spinach, a veggie she loves. 2 great desserts: "Chocolat" crepe contained warmed chocolate ganache. Made crepe soggy but still VERY tasty. The chocolate mousse had small chocolate chunks inside & was topped by whipped cream. Service was fine. Our waiter gushed when told we were first-timers and WOULD be back. Shook my hand as we left.Special Features:
- Nice . . . butdi23foodDined on 6/25/2014Went for lunch and the overall experience was pleasant. Greeted quickly and the staff was nice and knowledgeable. Looking at their web site the onion soup looked wonderful. Unfortunately looks can be deceiving, there was very little flavor to the soup and the cheese was very bland. We both had sandwiches and they were okay but nothing note worthy.Special Features:
- 2 Visits, Happy both timesGinaZDined on 5/26/2014Generously portioned and nicely presented. Delicious and fresh. The owner remembered us from our first visit which made us feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOcDinerDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner of crepes on a Saturday night! The meal was so good we returned the next day for brunch!Special Features:
- The following 13 reviews are from the The Merry Table reviews archive.
- Undiscovered gemShc1953Dined on 3/9/2014We went on Sunday for lunch. We nearly had the place to ourselves. The lobster bisque and crepe poulet were excellent. A variety of sandwiches are available, my guest had the Cuban Panini. The finishing touch was an apple tart. All were good. Prices were very reasonable. We will go back to the Merry Table again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad startWWJWDined on 2/15/2014We made reservations for 5 pm . Arrived at 5 to find restaurant dark but door open. Called out and the help answered. We said we have 5pm reservation. ..He said not possible because restaurant didn't open until 5:15. Then owner arrived. ...was obviously upset we were early. Talking (in French) about Open Table! But once he calmed down the food was great and service improved. I don't think we got credit for our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stretched too ThinCdlongDined on 2/14/2014Our waitress was pleasant but it appeared she was responsible for the seating & full service of all the tables. The food was fine but the service, our proximity to other diners and a $10 over-charge on our bill add to a night we are unlikely to repeat.
- Pleasant experienceESMMEDined on 12/28/2013My wife and another couple had dinner here recently. Drinks and apps were very good. Service, by the owner I believe, was friendly and attentive. Entrees were very good, but the crepes (ironically) were just OK. I had the duck stew and thought it was awesome. Another in our party had a scallop special and he raved about it. Both ladies had crepes and were disappointed. So, I would recommend this place, but would stick with apps and traditional entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we, a party of 7, ate veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2013we, a party of 7, ate very early so had the place to ourselves mostly, and had great attention from the server/owner? the atmosphere was very european,and very comfortable. all 7 of us loved what we ordered, crepes all around. the meals were beautifully displayed and tasted as good. we all enjoyed it, and would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful french cuisineCHRISMPARKERDined on 12/6/2013Jean Claude has a wonderful gem of a restaurant. After eating your main meal.. be sure to order dessert. . I recommend the crepe Suzette!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent, staffAnnieDined on 12/5/2013The food was excellent, staff friendly, service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You might pass it by, but don't!likes2eatDined on 11/23/2013My husband and I love the Merry Table. At first glance you just might not notice it, but it is well worth a trip. The staff is very efficient and accommodating. We love the food and have never been disappointed. Local people running a delicious restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great french food.timzDined on 11/2/2013We both had great meals. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and quietOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2013This place is adorable, cozy, and quiet. If you want to actually talk with your dinner partner, this is a great place to go. Plus, the food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crepes and moreJimMDined on 8/22/2013Great spot for crepes in downtown Portland. French is spoken. Paella is wonderful. Leave room for dessert crepes.Special Features:
- A DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2013TMT is a wonderful place for lunch but it is not quite up to dinner. My steak was depressingly reminiscent of school food.Special Features:
- Nice addition to Portland's DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013I travel to Portland every year for a month. Nice to have a French bistro in the options. Outdoor seating right on Wharf St so passing tourists and locals are the entertainment. Great crepes - nicely priced wine selections by glass, carafe or bottle. Hope they stay around for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.