The Merry Monk - Saratoga
84 Henry Street
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Merry Monk - Saratoga
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.merrymonksaratoga.com/ordereze/home.aspx
- Phone: 5185846665
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 4:00pm - close
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - close
Friday: 11:30am - close
Saturday & Sunday: Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm
Bar Menu: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Merry Monk - Saratoga
What made beer so cherished was probably due to health reasons. In a period of plagues, water was probably the most unsafe beverage. However, beer, because of the "cooking" process was somehow sterilized. By then beer had become a standard beverage, drank by men and women of all ages, and enjoyed with a meal or in a tavern. Monasteries had the best brews, with monks becoming experts at brewing. The beer they served, no doubt, had the effect of cheer for the entire population. Today the water is safe and the beer is even better. Come discover what the monks have known for a long time, how to brew an excellent beer following the traditional Belgian methods. The Merry Monk offers excellent authentic Belgian cuisine from Bone-in Pork Schnitzel to our famous mussels (moules) and Frites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Merry Monk - Saratoga reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014This restaurant no longer honors Open Table reservations. Fortunately a table was available and we were seated immediately.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the The Merry Monk - Saratoga reviews archive.
- Lovely BrunchnotasaratoganativeDined on 5/18/2014This was our second visit to the Merry Monk. One time for lunch and this time for brunch. Food was very good. Several in our party tried several of the beers ( different types) and thoroughly enjoyed both. I am not a beer drinker so I cannot comment. However, the Bloody Mary I had was delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent Saratoga choiceJoePVIPDined on 5/11/2014Consistently very good in food and service. Must try the special sausages. Brunch is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I want more...NicoleHDined on 5/3/2014The Merry Monk was great! There were five of us that went for Sunday brunch. Everyone finished thier meals and was raving about how much they loved it. Between the five of us we had grilled fish tacos, fried fish tacos, classic eggs benedict, classic mussels, and a bacon cheeseburger. I haven't been able to stop thinking about those grilled tacos because they were soooo good! Our server was fantastic. She promptly greeted us and got us our drinks; accomodated a special request; and kept our glasses full the entire meal. She was friendly and smiled the whole time. We will definitely go back to the Merry Monk again and again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2014Food is outstanding! Best mussels and burger in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is good. Some veryFoodLoversTravelVIPDined on 4/12/2014The food is good. Some very creative dishes. The waiter service is outstanding, really outstanding. BUT, the noise level is outrageously and disturbingly high. Whoever build this restaurant did not take into consideration the acoustics and when the place is packed with diners enjoying themselves you can't hear one another talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegetarian OptionsSarah205VIPDined on 4/12/2014I picked this restaurant for a group of us to eat at because of its great reviews and unusual vegetarian options. We were not disappointed! It was one of the best veggie burgers I have eaten, and my husband enjoyed the vegetarian strudel. The choices of beers was amazing. I just think the only reason I cannot rate it a 5 star is the noise level is so unbeliveably high that I felt I was yelling all night across the table to the other diners in our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceNYMJVIPDined on 4/12/2014Excellent beer list. Loved the pretzel stick appetizer - addicting - got a 2nd order for our group of 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer and burgers for meIlooDined on 4/11/2014Though they have a great varied menu I usually find myself going back to their burgers. Always done to perfection . I've also had their eggs Benedict at brunch which was also very good. Great selection of unusual beers on tap. French fries are best in the area. Very consistent time after time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceTogaGalDined on 4/7/2014Our server was less than attentive but the food was tasty. I'm fairly certain that the poor service was an anomaly because i've heard good things from friends who have eaten here. Unfortunately during our visit the restaurant had started switching over their food offerings for the new season but they hadn't updated the menu, so the first two things we tried to order weren't available anymore. My roasted veggie wrap was yummy but drizzled in balsamic so it had to be eaten with knife and fork instead of with my hands, which was inconvenient. I'll give The Merry Monk the benefit of the doubt and give them a try again --hopefully with a happier server!
- Beers galore! Excellent food!BeesaDined on 3/14/2014Mussels, pheasant sausages, trout, Belgian frites! In a perfect world, we would eat here every day and try a new beer each day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!CinziaDined on 3/13/2014Really enjoyed dinner at this restaurant……different choices and delicious…..service slow at first and then improved…..would like to return with friends and try it again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Cool & casual atmosphere to enjoy drinks and dinner. Something for everyone. Active but quiet enough to enjoy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night outPoetryclubDined on 2/15/2014This was my second visit and it was kind of a Valentine's Day dinner (the day after). The food was good, although the last time I came the mussels were big and plump and this time there were quite a few small, thin ones; but they tasted fine. But the main thing was it was a fun atmosphere and my husband and I enjoyed our conversation and felt the food was good value and he's a big beer lover, so overall, we'd recommend it and go again.Special Features:
- Lived up to the chowder!RaephippsDined on 2/15/2014My boyfriend, his parents, and I chose to go to Merry Monk for Valentines after loving what them at Chowderfest. The good absolutely lived up to our expectations. My boyfriend especially loved his duck Reuben, but I sampled everything and it was all wonderful. The way they developed the flavors of each dish really impressed. Their beer selection is quite extensive, and even the non beer lovers in our group found something to enjoy. I definitely think the sampler is the most economic way to go. Our group recommends the Petreus winter number nine and the Scaldis Noel (especially it's fruit and spice finish!) All in all we thoroughly enjoy the Merry Monk, and can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Belgian tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/15/2014Beer selection is actually overwhelming, got two samplers and picked one for a pint. Food is also great, will definitely be coming back.
- Mediocre MonkRobinDined on 2/12/2014Reserved table was right across from the door so we were cold for the entire visit. Room was loud and decor non-existent. While the server was very sweet she wasn't at all helpful with the extensive and touted beer list. Food arrived lukewarm after a long wait and nothing was offered in the way of a bread basket. The food, even so-called "specialty dishes", was nothing special and rather bland. The dessert menu only had a few choices and they were out of the item we selected. Overall, felt like a badly run chain restaurant rather than a unique dining experience.
- Great atmosphere and great food!BirthdayFunDined on 2/3/2014We celebrated a 50th birthday party at the Merry Monk with a party of 11 people, We spent some time at the bar before dinner and had great service. Every person had a great dinner. The food was fantastic and the service was great! We brought in a birthday cake which the staff kept in the cooler and then brought out with candles after dinner. All of the food was cooked to perfection - great burgers, great mussels, everything really great. I would highly recommend the Merry Monk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOO LOUD, little ambiance.BrewDinerDined on 1/31/2014Although not in the loudest spot in the restaurant we had a hard time talking and being heard at our table of 8. We had to yell our orders for drinks and dinner, even the waitress had to yell back. After we finished a reasonable dinner we went outside to have our conversation. We noticed a fair number of others leaving the Merry Monk quickly . Can't recommend it for a good night out. There are better spots with good food and excellent brew selections with better ambiance.
- Our first visit was much bettersidistiDined on 1/28/2014We enjoyed the beer selection and many of the meals, but I would say they are capable of serving good food and great food. We've had both here now.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/26/20146 of us went to the Merry Monk on a sunday at 2 pm. We had missed the real brunch crowd yet they were still serving brunch. So...we got undivided attention from our lovely waitress AND we got to choose from the brunch menu. Mussels, veggie burger, fish taco, blueberry pancake, lobster bisque, salads, bloody mary's, and i forgot what the last person had but everybody ate everything and were all totally satisfied and sated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding beer selection/Service+ScooterDined on 1/25/2014Lively and energetic crowd, amazingly attentive service considering the activity level, interesting menu choices and great tasting! Huge burgers prepared exactly as requested! We were celebrating a birthday and could not have beeen more pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchPoetryclubDined on 1/25/2014Really enjoyed the classic mussels and superb whiskey sour. A friendly place with excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were sat at a table inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014We were sat at a table in the center between two other tables. We had to move the table in order to pull chair out far enough to sit down.....tables much too close together. The table was in direct path of cold air every time the door opened. I really liked the salmon burger. However is was small and the English muffin was hard, cold, and dry.Special Features:
- Loved this place. The menuGlenVIPDined on 1/18/2014Loved this place. The menu had so much to choose from. I think there is something for everyone, in a good way, not a tacky way. You can choose casual food (but fun and clever) to fine dining type food (but not stuffy). A must try are the soft pretzels. The beer is outstanding. Wine choices are just ok, if someone in your group doesn't drink beer they will find a few good choices. This is a place you can enjoy as a couple or a group. Was just two of us this night, and they seemed to have a good area for smaller tables so you didn't feel lost in the room. This is a must go if you want to have fun yummy food. It truly stricks a good balance between casual and fine in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Night Out!EReidDined on 12/31/2013Delicious mussels! Great steak and good prices. I wish our server was more knowledgable about the wine list and beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Unfriendly BartenderKellyVIPDined on 12/31/2013We love the Merry Monk except for the other night. We arrived early and went to the bar for a drink. I asked the bartender for something similar to a Pilsner and she stated they don't serve Pilsners. I have had pilsners here before so I was taken back they no longer offer them. I asked her what was close and she tossed the beer menu on the bar and walked away. When she came back I asked her to suggest a beer similar to a Pilsner since I didn't have my glasses. Again she tossed a pair of glasses on the bar and walked away. Couldn't she have just made a suggestion instead of being rude and tossing things nto the bar. I almost left but our table was ready. Hopefully the bartender will understand some customer service skills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodiex2Dined on 12/31/2013Great Belgium Beer Selection-Dinner was excellent. Whole trout with browned butter sauce was perfect. Filet topped with tons of lump crab also perfect. Staff upbeat and knowledgeable. Will be back no question..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer and fritesJerseygirlDined on 12/29/2013This place has potential. Great service and extensive beer list. The frites with dipping sauce were also very good. However we ordered mussels and they were over done. Also I would not recommend their veggie burger although I prob shouldn't have ordered that in a Belgium restaurant.Special Features:
- (Too) Merry MonkPorkchopDined on 12/27/2013The food was awesome. The service was right on. Prices more than fair. However, the acoustics are horrible. Literally had to yell across the table to have a conversation. Way too loud for my tastes. This was my second visit here and it was the same experience both times. Would have enjoyed it so much more if I could hear myself think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merry Indeed!JoePVIPDined on 12/24/2013Excellent choices on the menu. Definitely not your average restaurant, very upscale meals at reasonable prices. This Belgian bistro is definitely unique and a good find. Good ambiance. Great selection of brews. We will return with pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belgium comes to Saratoga!wvanasd1Dined on 12/23/2013I thought this place was absolutely top notch. The beers were pricecy, but they were all authentic Belgian (or belgian style) and I'm from New York City so it didn't shock me as a much as it could've. The mussels in the lobster bisque were to DIE FOR. It was cooked perfectly and were a great little treat to share before the meal. My burger was great although big which is never a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Belgian FoodEmJulesDined on 12/21/2013I loved the authentic Belgian food and extensive beer menu at The Merry Monk. They had live music on the bar side, but it wasn't too loud on the dining side as to interrupt conversation. This is a great neighborhood place with a cozy atmosphere and unique, delicious menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunchamyb321Dined on 12/14/2013I can't wait to go back for brunch...I love eating different things, makes life more exciting!! Loved the veggie crepes, not what I expected in presentation...WAY better!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it!!nanaDined on 12/11/2013This was my 1st time at the Merry Monk and I will definitely return!!! If you are a fan of mussels then this is the place. The 2 for 1 Wednesday's is an awesome deal. Everything was delicious and the service was great.Special Features:
- Terrible Food and bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/10/2013The server we had needs to be in a different job. She barely said 2 words and never cracked a smile. She forgot things and was just unpleasant. The food was awful. It was so noisy we could barely carry on a conversation and the tables are very close together. I would never go here again.
- I was pleasantly surprised.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/27/2013I was pleasantly surprised. We randomly chose this restaurant not expecting much. The food and service were good and the beer/other beverage was great. I'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MonkBurgerDined on 11/18/2013We've been there several times and are always pleased. Only problem...there isn't a kids menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels, Brussels and BeerHopperDined on 11/14/2013Had a first rate meal and overall dining experience. Mussels were to die for...only suggestion might be more crusty bread to dip into the wonderful sauces (or perhaps a straw!). Big fan of brussel sprouts and MM's preparation was outstanding. Again, only suggestion would be tp make the spaetzle a bit softer. Flavor good but a bit crispy. Also a big fan of good beer and your beer offerings were excellent. Will/have recommended to friends and family. Tx.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you Like Beer and decent foodHayleyMDined on 11/5/2013The Merry Monk is nice but nothing stood out to me.. the bread they served was your standard roll - the kind you pull apart from one another. The service was good but a little slow. They do not serve domestic beer - I'm not a beer drinker but my husband is - the waitress was very knowledgable and helped him select a beer that would compare to what he normally drinks and he was happy with her recommendation. The food was above average but this is a Belgium restaurant and I think the flavors for me were not my style. My husband had no complaints :) Their thing is Beer though.. so if you're looking for unique beers this is your place :)I would recommend this to a friend.