The Mermaid Oyster Bar
79 MacDougal Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mermaid Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themermaidnyc.com/
- Phone: 212-260-0100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Cressotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Adam Conrad 212-242-8222x
A word from The Mermaid Oyster Bar
Upon entering Mermaid Oyster Bar, diners feel as though they have escaped the city on a beach vacation. Offering delicious food in a welcoming atmosphere, patrons can enjoy a relaxing and leisurely dining experience away from the hustle & bustle of busy New York City streets. Bringing a bite of the beach to the West Village, this casual neighborhood spot combines a laid-back fish shack mentality with a menu that reads like an oyster bar’s greatest hits: an extensive raw bar; clam shack favorites like steamers, mussels and fried oysters; and a variety of simply prepared whole fish and fish sandwiches. The cocktails and beers on tap and the rollicking classic rock-country playlist evoke the nostalgia of summer on every visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Mermaid Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
The Mermaid Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (49)romantic (35)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (28)special occasion (21)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Small and very goodAiredaleVIPDined on 10/25/2014I was unfamiliar with this place but booked it due to the good reviews on OT and the area I was going to be in. Very crowded and pretty loud on a Saturday night (the restaurant is a wide hallway of tables and a small room) but there was a table ready for us at our reservation time (thank you!) and the service was great. The fact that Happy Hour is every day made for a great deal on a few drinks and oysters and the food was all very well prepared and tasty. Love the lack of a dessert menu and little cups of pudding - just enough to finish off the meal and acknowledges the fact that there are a lot of other places nearby for sweets. Would definitely recommend - great seafood in a casual atmosphere and good fun.Special Features:
- Perfect Night with Great FoodKKatVIPDined on 10/24/2014This place provided the perfect setting for an intimate birthday dinner. Romantic ambiance and a great friendly vibe. Started with Oyster Shooters which were delicious. Next a mix of raw bar oysters and clams were so fresh. Recommend sharing the famous lobster roll and the salmon dish! Definitely going back and definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mermaid Oyster Bar Village gemjasonVIPDined on 10/24/2014Our reservation was honored immediately although the restaurant was super crowded. Our server was friendly and fast, oysters fresh and delicious as were the tuna tartare tacos and lobster roll. Nice wines by the glass, good choices for the fish and oysters. Many visits to this branch of the small chain, good every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!DianeVIPDined on 10/21/2014Great place for a drink and appetizers right after work or for a light supper. Everything is fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- andiDined on 10/11/2014We took advantage of the Happy Hour. The food was very good, but the service was too good. Everything was brought out almost at once, five minutes after we ordered. You got the feeling that they wanted you out as quickly as possible. Not a relaxing meal at all.
- Fran our waitress was rudeShandaVIPDined on 10/11/2014Fran our waitress made our dining experience unpleasant. She was rude and unprofessional.
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/3/2014It was so noisy that I couldn't hear my dining partner.Special Features:
- Dollar oysters are a mustNYCfoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014My favorite place to come for happy hour- dollar oysters, good inexpensive cocktails and free chocolate mousse! What's not to like?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mermaid is fun.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/30/2014Mermaid has really good food and is a fun place to eat it. The pasta with clam sauce is a little pricey, but worth every penny: it's among the best I've eaten. People seem to enjoy themselves so much that it can be kind of noisy, but the din in the back room is manageable.
- Vibrant, fun and deliciousMVP88VIPDined on 9/30/2014Have been getting lots of recommendations for this place for a while so finally visited when my cousins came to town. What a gem! It is small and intimate, great for catching up with people over delicious food and wine. Get the tuna tacos - simply amazing. Our server was lovely - attentive without being overbearing, allowing us to request "just two more minutes" before ordering about 10 times. The lobster roll was huge and delicious, the linguine was drowned in sauce but that is the way I love my pasta so suited me perfectly, the mussels were huge and flavorsome. Reasonably priced and complementary chocolate mousse dessert. Will be back time and time again for seafood done well.Special Features:
- Fantastic oysters and lobsterSandyDined on 9/28/2014This is the second time we've visited the restaurant. Like the previous time, great atmosphere, friendly service and amazing food. It was Sunday and they had the Lobsterpalooza for $26. Two of us had them and we were not disappointed at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and friendlyFoodTravelerDined on 9/26/2014Loved the calamari. All our food was great and the staff was very accommodating. Good range of seafood and great cocktails.Special Features:
- Happiest of Happy HoursnomnomVIPDined on 9/21/2014The Mermaid inn advertises their happy hour as the Happiest of Happy Hours and they're absolutely correct. The waitress we had, Dillan, was amazing. She was attentive and very sweet overall. I always have this place in mind when planning to take someone out for oysters.Special Features:
- Happy Hour StealsEasyTraveller123Dined on 9/18/2014The Mermaid Inn's happy hours are a steal--raw oysters at $1. Excellent tomato and watermelon salad. Service was pleasant, helpful and quick. This is where to eat when going to Film Forum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing!RaeFDined on 9/13/2014Best food and service in town. Always the freshest, most responsibly sourced seafood, with a fabulous atmosphere and the best service.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodStage5EaterDined on 9/13/2014Service was great, oysters were outstanding. Also got the Old Bay fries because we saw another table fighting over them...yum! I definitely want to check out their happy hour, although it looked packed. Dinner at 7:30 was low key. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only place 4 lobster roll & bloodyKyleMcD34VIPDined on 9/6/2014The $1 oysters at happy hour were awesome! The lobster roll and bloody mary were even better! A must visit in NYC!Special Features:
- Amazing timeIlovewine2VIPDined on 9/2/2014My boyfriend surprised me for an happy hour there yesterday with 4others friends...we had such a great time..our waiter was wonderful..we probably had 100oysters on top of all the other things we ordered..im really happy as a big fan of oysters i really had a blast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need 2 come back w/diffnt serverILoveToEat2Dined on 8/31/2014Ive been waiting to come to Lobsterpalooza all summer long and finally made it with a close friend visiting from out of town. The lobster was good but our server was terrible. He was snarky from the get go, we immediately ordered our Lobster to start and he acted so annoyed having to take our order and gave us a terrible annoyed attitude the whole time. We were excited to try the lobster (which we stated as a starter) and planned to order more food and try a few entrees, but he never followed up with us to take our order until we were completely finished with the meal. Also when he dropped off our food we had no crackers or proper flatware to dig and we had to flag him down to tell him.Special Features:
- Nice PlacefriedoysterDined on 8/25/2014feels small, secret, warm with great food....and just noisy enough. love the ambience, wouldn't change a thing except the menus are hard to read in dim light....beef up the type.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster Paradise!MC173VIPDined on 8/24/2014Superb oysters! Great drinks! Helpful staff! Great selections (lobster)! Went there the first time with friends and we are all planning to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourPeteeatsthingsDined on 8/22/2014I have been to the one in upper west side and both are fantastic. The oysters are clean tasting and the cocktails are a little on the weak-side but enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid as alwaysnyetVIPDined on 8/21/2014standards are tasty, love their fries as always. but SO much louder than the east village location. service generally competent but a bit slow, eg, with taking orders, bringing crackers/bread.Special Features:
- ExcellentCitygirltravelerDined on 8/15/2014The dressing on the seared tuna salad was the best I have ever tasted and the soft whell crab sliders were yummy. Oysters were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster barLovemynYCDined on 8/10/2014It took about 10-15 min to get waited on. Once the order wa taken our food came out fairly soon. Food was excellentSpecial Features:
- Always greatnycfoodieDined on 8/5/2014Always love the good ole mermaid inn, although the east village has got to be my favorite location with the outdoor seating and more room. They are all very similar with service, vibes & food.Special Features:
- Great Monday All Night Happy HourltappDined on 7/28/2014A great spot for a Monday night happy hour. The food is delish, I go pretty much every Monday without fail because their happy hour food menu is the best: oysters, shrimp sliders, calamari... I could go on and on. The main room is definitely a better seating choice and have better servers for sure.Special Features:
- First time dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014Went here on a Saturday around 5 30 pm to grab some food before a movie at the IFC. The place was busy but I was welcome with a warm greeting and my table was ready. The sever we had was very knowledgable but seems a bit busy, looked like e was handle the whole Back section himself. We never felt unattended, in fact the food timing was just right and the we ha a great recommendation for the wine. Cite little pot de creme chocolate pudding was given as a compliment to end the meal. Cool vibe, good service, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Daily Happy Hour!JamesWhiteNYCDined on 7/18/2014Check out the daily happy hour menu with $1 oysters. It's fantastic! Avoid the wait and book your reservation a week in advance or you may have a long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming....in every way!Em270Dined on 7/13/2014Mermaid Oyster Bar came highly recommended and truly lived up to its charm! The space is well designed with soft mood lighting and table candles making for a welcome aura. The bar delights with unique cocktails. The food... delicious for our warm summer night! We ordered a platter of oysters (Kusshi, Beausoleil and Montauk - perfect trio), lobster and corn fritters w/ maple truffle honey (tasty) and the yellowfin tuna tartar tacos (lively on the palate). I must add a very special thank you to the waitstaff for their friendliness and professionalism. This is why we return for vacations to NYC. My sister and I look forward to our next trip to the Village, enjoying the charms of this darling gem on 79 MacDougal!!Special Features:
- Great seafood!Stylin80Dined on 7/11/2014I have been wanting to come for here for over 9 months now and I finally visitied on Friday night, I was not disappointed. We sat out the back so the noise was quite low and we could have a decent conversation. Food: Fish Taco's, Kale Caeser Salad, Tuna Crudo were all very good and the quality outstanding. Service: Attentive and not intrusive. We took our time as we were talking a fair bit and were not rushed at all. Price: Perfect. Highly recommend and will definitely be back here. It's good for a fiend catch up or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing crab boil!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/8/2014We've been there at least 5 times , but this was the first time at the Tuesday night crab boil……we will be there every Tuesday!Special Features:
- A Sunday GemCskapDined on 7/6/2014The Sunday evening Lobsterpalooza is great! A real bargain especially in the Village. The service was attentive without being intrusive. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 484 reviews are from the The Mermaid Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Fantastic Happy Hour!MLOSFDined on 7/1/2014Great Happy Hour specials. $1 Oysters were fantastic as were the drink specials, which led us to exploring the menu beyond the Happy Hour specials and enjoy several of the other oyster offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificBarrios334Dined on 6/28/2014I've always loved the Mermaid Inn's East Village restaurant, and it's good to see them continuing their form at the McDougal St location. The food is terrific, we ate tapas-style with lots of small dishes, all of which were great. The lobster and corn fritters were amazing, as were the fish tacos, and of course the oysters were first rate. Service was also excellent and very friendly. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreekGodVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great for happy hour - especially the drinks and $1 oysters.Special Features:
- Great lobster special! Cute place!CKNYCDined on 6/22/2014Made reservations and walked over with a friend - it's a perfect, cool, little neighborhood joint with a great casual vibe. Small booths and hi-2-tops, small patio seating in the front. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful, bartender adorable. The oysters were small but fabulous, and the special was a Lobster dinner - amazing! 1.25 lb lobster with corn on cob, cole slaw and potatoes for $26. It was delicious - the only drawback is they only cut the tail open and don't give you anything to clean your hands with... That said, I'd come back in a heartbeat! It's a perfect spot and I hope it doesn't get too crowded over the summer.Special Features:
- Fish Tacos and much more YUMurbicoastalVIPDined on 6/20/2014a reliable go to place in NYU area. So good that the happy hour timeframe gets mobbed (great pricing on libation and oysters at that time). Fish tacos are not "cheap" but they are yummy unique. As are the daily specials and other offerings.Special Features:
- the "almost famous" lobster rollhealthyourselfVIPDined on 6/18/2014I love ice cold fresh oysters and a tasty lobster roll with a glass of creamy chardonnay...nice dinner for a hot summer night !Special Features:
- Fresh but limitedLovelyDined on 6/15/2014We ordered the grilled octopus, jonah crab cakes, kale caesar salad, fish tacos, yellow fin tuna, hush puppies and fried green tomatoes. Hush puppies and fried green tomatoes a disappointment-very bland. Hush puppies had lumps of ?? scallop or butter chunks and had very little taste. Other dishes were excellent; Jonah crab cake had large chinks of crab, little filling which is rare to find.. Chocolate pudding is only dessert.There are other simple options to offer. e.g. gelato easy to accomplish with so many gelato establishments in the area.Ambience is very loud as mentioned by many others-very difficult to have a conversation without shouting. No air conditioning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.