The Mermaid Oyster Bar
79 MacDougal Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mermaid Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themermaidnyc.com/
- Phone: 212-260-0100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Cressotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Adam Conrad 212-242-8222x
A word from The Mermaid Oyster Bar
Upon entering Mermaid Oyster Bar, diners feel as though they have escaped the city on a beach vacation. Offering delicious food in a welcoming atmosphere, patrons can enjoy a relaxing and leisurely dining experience away from the hustle & bustle of busy New York City streets. Bringing a bite of the beach to the West Village, this casual neighborhood spot combines a laid-back fish shack mentality with a menu that reads like an oyster bar’s greatest hits: an extensive raw bar; clam shack favorites like steamers, mussels and fried oysters; and a variety of simply prepared whole fish and fish sandwiches. The cocktails and beers on tap and the rollicking classic rock-country playlist evoke the nostalgia of summer on every visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Mermaid Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
The Mermaid Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (53)hot spot (29)romantic (29)vibrant bar scene (25)special occasion (21)good for groups (16)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Loved the calamari. All our food was great and the staff was very accommodating. Good range of seafood and great cocktails.Special Features:
- Happiest of Happy HoursnomnomVIPDined on 9/21/2014The Mermaid inn advertises their happy hour as the Happiest of Happy Hours and they're absolutely correct. The waitress we had, Dillan, was amazing. She was attentive and very sweet overall. I always have this place in mind when planning to take someone out for oysters.Special Features:
- Happy Hour StealsEasyTraveller123Dined on 9/18/2014The Mermaid Inn's happy hours are a steal--raw oysters at $1. Excellent tomato and watermelon salad. Service was pleasant, helpful and quick. This is where to eat when going to Film Forum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafoodStage5EaterDined on 9/13/2014Service was great, oysters were outstanding. Also got the Old Bay fries because we saw another table fighting over them...yum! I definitely want to check out their happy hour, although it looked packed. Dinner at 7:30 was low key. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only place 4 lobster roll & bloodyKyleMcD34VIPDined on 9/6/2014The $1 oysters at happy hour were awesome! The lobster roll and bloody mary were even better! A must visit in NYC!Special Features:
- Amazing timeIlovewine2VIPDined on 9/2/2014My boyfriend surprised me for an happy hour there yesterday with 4others friends...we had such a great time..our waiter was wonderful..we probably had 100oysters on top of all the other things we ordered..im really happy as a big fan of oysters i really had a blast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need 2 come back w/diffnt serverILoveToEat2Dined on 8/31/2014Ive been waiting to come to Lobsterpalooza all summer long and finally made it with a close friend visiting from out of town. The lobster was good but our server was terrible. He was snarky from the get go, we immediately ordered our Lobster to start and he acted so annoyed having to take our order and gave us a terrible annoyed attitude the whole time. We were excited to try the lobster (which we stated as a starter) and planned to order more food and try a few entrees, but he never followed up with us to take our order until we were completely finished with the meal. Also when he dropped off our food we had no crackers or proper flatware to dig and we had to flag him down to tell him.Special Features:
- Nice PlacefriedoysterDined on 8/25/2014feels small, secret, warm with great food....and just noisy enough. love the ambience, wouldn't change a thing except the menus are hard to read in dim light....beef up the type.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourPeteeatsthingsDined on 8/22/2014I have been to the one in upper west side and both are fantastic. The oysters are clean tasting and the cocktails are a little on the weak-side but enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid as alwaysnyetVIPDined on 8/21/2014standards are tasty, love their fries as always. but SO much louder than the east village location. service generally competent but a bit slow, eg, with taking orders, bringing crackers/bread.Special Features:
- ExcellentCitygirltravelerDined on 8/15/2014The dressing on the seared tuna salad was the best I have ever tasted and the soft whell crab sliders were yummy. Oysters were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster barLovemynYCDined on 8/10/2014It took about 10-15 min to get waited on. Once the order wa taken our food came out fairly soon. Food was excellentSpecial Features:
- Always greatnycfoodieDined on 8/5/2014Always love the good ole mermaid inn, although the east village has got to be my favorite location with the outdoor seating and more room. They are all very similar with service, vibes & food.Special Features:
- Great Monday All Night Happy HourltappDined on 7/28/2014A great spot for a Monday night happy hour. The food is delish, I go pretty much every Monday without fail because their happy hour food menu is the best: oysters, shrimp sliders, calamari... I could go on and on. The main room is definitely a better seating choice and have better servers for sure.Special Features:
- First time dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014Went here on a Saturday around 5 30 pm to grab some food before a movie at the IFC. The place was busy but I was welcome with a warm greeting and my table was ready. The sever we had was very knowledgable but seems a bit busy, looked like e was handle the whole Back section himself. We never felt unattended, in fact the food timing was just right and the we ha a great recommendation for the wine. Cite little pot de creme chocolate pudding was given as a compliment to end the meal. Cool vibe, good service, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Daily Happy Hour!JamesWhiteNYCDined on 7/18/2014Check out the daily happy hour menu with $1 oysters. It's fantastic! Avoid the wait and book your reservation a week in advance or you may have a long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming....in every way!Em270Dined on 7/13/2014Mermaid Oyster Bar came highly recommended and truly lived up to its charm! The space is well designed with soft mood lighting and table candles making for a welcome aura. The bar delights with unique cocktails. The food... delicious for our warm summer night! We ordered a platter of oysters (Kusshi, Beausoleil and Montauk - perfect trio), lobster and corn fritters w/ maple truffle honey (tasty) and the yellowfin tuna tartar tacos (lively on the palate). I must add a very special thank you to the waitstaff for their friendliness and professionalism. This is why we return for vacations to NYC. My sister and I look forward to our next trip to the Village, enjoying the charms of this darling gem on 79 MacDougal!!Special Features:
- Great seafood!Stylin80Dined on 7/11/2014I have been wanting to come for here for over 9 months now and I finally visitied on Friday night, I was not disappointed. We sat out the back so the noise was quite low and we could have a decent conversation. Food: Fish Taco's, Kale Caeser Salad, Tuna Crudo were all very good and the quality outstanding. Service: Attentive and not intrusive. We took our time as we were talking a fair bit and were not rushed at all. Price: Perfect. Highly recommend and will definitely be back here. It's good for a fiend catch up or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing crab boil!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/8/2014We've been there at least 5 times , but this was the first time at the Tuesday night crab boil……we will be there every Tuesday!Special Features:
- A Sunday GemCskapDined on 7/6/2014The Sunday evening Lobsterpalooza is great! A real bargain especially in the Village. The service was attentive without being intrusive. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Happy Hour!MLOSFDined on 7/1/2014Great Happy Hour specials. $1 Oysters were fantastic as were the drink specials, which led us to exploring the menu beyond the Happy Hour specials and enjoy several of the other oyster offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificBarrios334Dined on 6/28/2014I've always loved the Mermaid Inn's East Village restaurant, and it's good to see them continuing their form at the McDougal St location. The food is terrific, we ate tapas-style with lots of small dishes, all of which were great. The lobster and corn fritters were amazing, as were the fish tacos, and of course the oysters were first rate. Service was also excellent and very friendly. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreekGodVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great for happy hour - especially the drinks and $1 oysters.Special Features:
- Great lobster special! Cute place!CKNYCDined on 6/22/2014Made reservations and walked over with a friend - it's a perfect, cool, little neighborhood joint with a great casual vibe. Small booths and hi-2-tops, small patio seating in the front. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful, bartender adorable. The oysters were small but fabulous, and the special was a Lobster dinner - amazing! 1.25 lb lobster with corn on cob, cole slaw and potatoes for $26. It was delicious - the only drawback is they only cut the tail open and don't give you anything to clean your hands with... That said, I'd come back in a heartbeat! It's a perfect spot and I hope it doesn't get too crowded over the summer.Special Features:
- the "almost famous" lobster rollhealthyourselfVIPDined on 6/18/2014I love ice cold fresh oysters and a tasty lobster roll with a glass of creamy chardonnay...nice dinner for a hot summer night !Special Features:
- Fresh but limitedLovelyDined on 6/15/2014We ordered the grilled octopus, jonah crab cakes, kale caesar salad, fish tacos, yellow fin tuna, hush puppies and fried green tomatoes. Hush puppies and fried green tomatoes a disappointment-very bland. Hush puppies had lumps of ?? scallop or butter chunks and had very little taste. Other dishes were excellent; Jonah crab cake had large chinks of crab, little filling which is rare to find.. Chocolate pudding is only dessert.There are other simple options to offer. e.g. gelato easy to accomplish with so many gelato establishments in the area.Ambience is very loud as mentioned by many others-very difficult to have a conversation without shouting. No air conditioning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findDrwallDined on 6/14/2014My girlfriend and I were in the area looking for a fish restaurant for a romantic dinner. The Mermaid is small and bustling; the food was excellent, the service was friendly and the noise level wasn't so terrible that you couldn't have a conversation. Everything was delicious and the chocolate pudding at the end was a nice touch. The oysters, lobster roll and fish/shrimp/chicken tacos were all great. Make a reservation, this place is busy!Special Features:
- Always My Go-To Oyster Bar...shwenDined on 6/12/2014My favorite location for oysters and great (sea)food overall. When someone says they want oysters, this is where I always default to, especially with the great happy hour menu (and prices), as well as the great beer on tap. And this location in particular has a great ambiance.Special Features:
- Mermaids & Lobster RollsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/11/2014I finally made it in to this fabulous eatery. I shared the Mermaid Tacos and Lobster Roll with my friend and it was delicious. Already booked to go back in 2 weeks and try other things on the menu!
- ripbro523Dined on 6/9/2014Always my go-to for a special occasion, one of those places out-of-towners love you to take them to.Special Features:
- SmithscreekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Great food and great atmosphere. Trendy spot with a killer happ hour. Our waitress, Astonia, was helpful and directed us thru the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feedmewellDined on 6/2/2014Our meal was excellent, perhaps the best lobster roll I have had to date. The oysters were also a delightful experience. Our server was friendly and professional making helpful recommendations which enhanced our dining experience. The decor was light and airy making a small restaurant seem cosy. We look forward to dining at the Mermaid again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 470 reviews are from the The Mermaid Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Crustation loverPaddingtonDined on 6/1/2014Everything is so delicious and well prepared! Love the little necks and oysters, calamari, greenbeans, sliders, Fish tacos, lobster roll, lobster corn dogs, hush puppies, Scottish salmon, fried oysters... Their oils is fresh and they fry at high temps so light and not greasy..makes all the difference in the world btwn excellent and ehhfried food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great happy houreileenDined on 5/31/2014I come here ofr the dollar oysters and the oyster shooters. Their osyter and appetizer happy hour is one of the best in the city for fast friendly service. Good any day of the week, but fridays get a bit crowded. Make sure you make a reservation or you will be waiting awhileSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2014We were 4 pple for happy hour fare. Everything was fresh and tasty. Clams an oysters with beer and wine. We threw in a few tapas and we were set. I'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lil date spot...nycfindsDined on 5/19/2014Love love love! Oysters, shrimp avocado sliders, lobster corn fritters, and for main course fish tacos. Yum yum yum! You will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Meal, as alwaysNatsDined on 5/19/2014I've been to all the Mermaid locations and they each offer the same excellent delicious food, calming atmosphere and great drinks. I brought a friend who is a chef from out of town, knowing she'd love to eat lots of thoughtfully prepared seafood. We had a marvelous time and I was not surprised.Special Features:
- Great food0111HCJSDined on 5/17/2014The oysters and lobster roll were especially delicious. Amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the happiest of happy hoursnomnomVIPDined on 5/3/2014Finally came to this location. I've been to the uws and east village locations and I couldn't have been happier with this mermaid inn oyster bar. Our server, Jackson, was very attentive and polite. The food was amazing as expected. Even though oyster season is coming to an end, I'm looking forward to coming here again for the other options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!goodeats23Dined on 5/2/2014Great dinner - fun vibe! Highly recommend for fish/seafood meal - good portions, excellent flavor, terrific service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.