The Mermaid Inn
96 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mermaid Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themermaidnyc.com/
- Phone: 212-674-5870x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Cressotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Mermaid Inn’s completely private dining rooms are perfect to celebrate any special location. We welcome parties of all sizes, for any occasion, in The Mermaid Inn’s and The Mermaid Oyster Bar’s private dining rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Adam Conrad 8884866855
- Special Events: We regularly hold cocktail and hors d'oeuvres parties as well as private sit-down dinners in the back room or entire restaurant for any occassion.
A word from The Mermaid Inn
New York’s favorite fish house serves up classic seafood specialties in a relaxed and comfortable setting. Danny Abrams’ flagship Mermaid Inn, dubbed an inexpensive version of Le Bernardin by New York Magazine -- features a cozy, secluded garden in back, sidewalk café in the front and a dining room that’s always buzzing. The cuisine and the décor are sure to bring back your favorite memories of New England. Belly up to the bar and wash down some ice cold oysters with expertly crafted cocktails, or drop by between 5:30 – 7:00pm for Happy Hour & a Half - dollar oysters, drink specials, and a snack menu in the entire restaurant. And if you love wine, The Mermaid’s well selected wine list means you’ll find some gems and some splurges that won’t break the bank.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Mermaid Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)great for outdoor dining (64)fit for foodies (52)romantic (41)special occasion (29)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (19)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great ambiance & divine mussels!livetoeatDined on 9/17/2014Came here with a group of 5, it was a little disappointing only groups of 4 or less could sit outside because it was a beautiful night and we had made reservations with sitting outside in mind. However, once seated our waiter was very attentive and we quickly got in orders for the Happy Hour deal - which was amazing. We ordered tacos and two dozen oysters. The tacos were okay, nothing special, but the oysters were a great start and at $1 each how could anyone be upset? We continued with two bottles of white SAUVIGNON BLANC 2012, Arona (Marlborough), which has now become my favorite Sauvignon Blanc. For dinner, we ordered the seared asparagus (delicious), calamari, charred portuguese octopus(delicious), old bay fries, mussels (AMAZING)Special Features:
- Great happy hourMarlenedcVIPDined on 9/17/2014The sliders are terrific, avocado and shrimp. Mini soup, was gazpacho, now chowder.The Cava worked perfectly.Special Features:
- Seafood enjoymentJudyDined on 9/13/2014Delicious evening at the Mermaid inn. The food was amazing. We shared several appetizers and a main entree. Oysters were fresh and delicious. Fish taco was yummy and the tuna tartar was to die for. Red snapper rounded off the meal.. The wait staff were friendly and gracious. I highly recommend the Mermaid Inn.Special Features:
- Almost Perfectchang3dDined on 9/13/2014The shop is at a great location, with easy to find parking*. I also had great food and our waitress was great too. The issue is the hostess is rude and lazy. I ask where is the parking meter; she said it should be right outside. I looked again and still can't find it, so I ask her again. She responds, "I thought I already told you. It's outside." So I told her I can't find it. She then said, "Well, I don't park here, so I don't know. Why don't you ask someone else." Why don't you find out for me?! So I did ask the nice bartender myself, he left the bar area and went to the street with me to point out where the meter is on the other side of the avenue obstructed by a truck. If I didn't tip as much as I should, it's the hostess's fault.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014Always love the food, our server was excellent. Knowledgable, attentive and great attitude. Wish I knew her nameSpecial Features:
- Not as good as we heardZekeVIPDined on 9/6/2014The grand plateau was not very good, the raw seafood just wasn't amazing or incredibly fresh. Everyone except for one person in our group thought their fish was over salted. Our server was super spacy, she may not have even realized she was at work...Special Features:
- Disappointed Oysters and ClamsMoomoo23Dined on 8/29/2014The oysters and clams were very tiny and only a sliver, there should be QC on the quality offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food, and drinks!MasaVIPDined on 8/25/2014Just a fun happy hour+ drinks and food. The Dark n' Stormy was authentic too!Special Features:
- Super fresh and delicious seafoodSushiaddictDined on 8/22/2014Everything we ate was Super fresh and beautifully seasoned cooked to perfection. Nice variety of oysters. Love the grilled octopus and linguini and clams. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Crab BoilPiaPilVIPDined on 8/19/2014Overall disappointing crab boil. The crabs were already too soft (overcooked?). Will go back, but not for the crabs.
- First DateKnightDined on 8/19/2014Great first date! Myself and my date reconnected after ten years we're both from Maryland so I was trying to find a nice seafood spot in the East Village and The Mermaid Inn not only fit the bill price wise due to "The Happiest Happy Hour" offerings but the food was amazing, served quickly, the server was attentive, and the ambiance was superb. My only issue would be that the drinks were pretty weak. It's happy hour and I'm on a date get me at least tipsy! Bartender's don't need to be shy during happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidAngieDeeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great little spot on the LES. Food is solid, not expensive. Great for a double date or with friends.Special Features:
- Lovely Friday night dinnerTryItOnceDined on 8/15/2014Perfect for 2 friends & 1 mature <10. We appreciated their strong happy hour drinks, plump $1 oysters, fab shrimp avocado sliders, perfectly breaded calamari & crispy (& cute!) mini fish tacos. Glad we ordered this all at the beginning, since the waiter was missing for ~15 minutes, even after we asked a bus person's help to find her. She came by at 7:01p when HH had just ended. No more sliders for us, but decent Jonah crab cake (yes, singular...there's only one per order) & grilled octopus that was cooked too soft for our taste. We 3 sat & chatted for 2 hours sans interruption, which for a busy NY restaurant, we greatly appreciated. Lovely time overall. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Very fun place, really great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2014Can't go wrong with anything on the menu. If you enjoy seafood you should check this place out, very fresh and extremely tasty. If you have someone with you who isn't into seafood they have great salads and their steak will have you licking the plate after you're done.Special Features:
- Here's to good friendsmermaidfan58Dined on 8/8/2014Always enjoy coming with friends whatever the season. The happy hour oysters are very good. Fish tacos are hidden gems. Missed the crab boil this year; schedule mixup.Special Features:
- Other locations are betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014I have had great meals at the Upper West Side and Macdougal Street locations, but this was disappointing. So incredibly loud, and the food was mediocre.
- Overall awesome.ZhenyoohooDined on 8/1/2014Good service, nice people, easy menu to work with, and just a good experience. I made the reservation, showed up 20 mins early, and they gave me a table, no problems. If you like oysters, clams, or chilled seafood in general, this place is perfect. Easy menu to work with. They don't have a million options, but the options they provide are fantastic. Ordered the small seafood platter, half dozen oysters, half dozen clams, a tuna dish, and added shrimp cocktails. Perfect amount for my girlfriend and I for an appetizer. My girlfriend had the lobster sandwich, it was fantastic and I ordered the snapper which was delicious. Fantastic place, I recommend this place to all seafood lovers. Oh, and they give a free dessert! =DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Original MermaidheightsrunnerVIPDined on 7/31/2014I am a fan of all locations of the Mermaid Inn but this is the original that started it all and it's as wonderful as the day it opened. The Mermaid Inn personifies hospitality - from the host desk, to the waitstaff to the management customers are treated right start to finish. The food is fresh and innovative and comforting all at the same time. Happy hour - dollar oysters and drink specials - yes please - one of the best deals in town. I keep coming back - the best endoresment of all.Special Features:
- Monday HHOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2014Great for Monday HH. $1 oysters and $3 fish tacos. Solid drinks too.Special Features:
- Small Selection of OystersPseudoFoodieDined on 7/14/2014The happy hour special was ok. $7.00 for cocktail drinks is moderate as there are places that still offer $5.00 happy hour drinks with a bigger list. The $1.00 happy hour oyster was nothing to rave about as it was only 1 oyster choice. The calamari was also part of happy hour, but the price was moderate at best. It was $7.00 for a small basket of calamari. The normal oyster selection was also tiny as they only offer 7 oysters to try from; 5 east cost and 2 west coast. The staff seemed not to know their oysters and had a hard time differentiating them from one another. The best part of the night was the service itself and the free dessert that was available after dinner. Who could resist chocolate pudding?
- Cozy/Romantic/Fun SpotMaccaDined on 7/14/2014Dinner at the Mermaid Inn was fantastic - wonderful cocktails to start the night followed by amazing raw bar food. This then is complimented by exceptional starter and main dishes. We will be definitely coming back here to work through the menu, trying all their delicious dishes. In addition to the food, the ambience is romantic and whimsical, but not so much its only reserved for lovers. It made the perfect ladies night out, while I would feel equally comfortably taking the out of town parents. I can't come back soon enough. It may be a bit loud sometimes and service can be overwhelmed as it is a popular joint, but we paced the evening slowly so it worked out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mermaid Inn outdid itselftomnorDined on 7/6/2014We'd been coming here for a long time. Over the last 2 years, we've come less often, mainly because the menu changed and it wasn't very appealing. But our latest visit was great, new menu, everything was delicious. We'll be revisiting this restaurant on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Tasty Food and Great ServiceNYCDinerDined on 7/5/2014I was pleasantly surprised by how friendly and accommodating the service at the Mermaid Inn was. The hostess seated us early so that we could have a table outside even though our party was not complete. Our waitress was knowledgeable, friendly and made great recommendations. Menu highlights include: delicious cocktails, lobster knuckles prepared escargot style, oysters, and the red snapper - this is a must try - delicious fresh flavors with a hint of chili. To sum it up, great food and atmosphere without the pretentious attitude that it could have because it's just that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicCityGalVIPDined on 7/4/2014Consistently a splendid dining experience. Fish is the freshest, service friendly. Try the tuna crudo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Great food, ambiance, and friendly service. Lots f fun.Special Features:
- audreyaudreyDined on 6/25/2014Food and service was great - however noise level was extremely loudSpecial Features:
- stuygirl22VIPDined on 6/21/2014much too noisy. Made it very hard to have a conversation.
- great happy hour oystersLindsaySDined on 6/10/2014Really enjoyed the happy hour oysters and grilled calamari saladSpecial Features:
- Amazing fresh seafood for NYCMbeirneDined on 6/6/2014Perfect date spot in east village for the freshest seafood in manhattan. Great selection and happy hour deals. Will be going back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happiest of Happy HoursNYEatsVIPDined on 6/4/2014Went with friends for their happy hour ($1 oysters & clams). The staff was nice and friendly. Oysters/clams were fresh & drinks were nice and cold :) We ordered other items of the snack menu but I wasn't really impressed (lobster knuckles, shrimp corn dogs and a side of mac and cheese). I will definitely go back for more oysters though...Special Features:
- Unbeatable happy hourt182288VIPDined on 6/3/2014The Mermaid Inn has an amazing happy hour, but you can tell that the staff is "over it". I would recommend the shrimp corn dogs and if you order any glass of wine it is a healthy pour. The oysters are perfect as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 777 reviews are from the The Mermaid Inn reviews archive.
- ADEKSDined on 6/2/2014Great all-day Monday happy hour. Less noisy in back patio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood specialtyDK1362Dined on 6/1/2014We enjoyed a happy hour menu, including oysters, fish and drinks at attractive prices. The restaurant has a rear garden which is very comfortable and enjoyable. We shall return for happy hour in the future.Special Features:
- Load NoisemaryDined on 5/31/2014Food delicious. Music too load. Hard to have decent conversation without yelling. Wait staff was efficient, but not friendly. Maybe due to constant exposure to load music. Atmosphere - eat and run.
- John77John77Dined on 5/24/2014Very good food. Fresh sea food.Nice ambiance.Will be back,this time for the happy hour.Special Features:
- Great Food In a RushczuccDined on 5/9/2014Though the food was very good, my guest and I felt rushed througout dinner. The wait staff twice asked us if we were done with our food when we were clearly still eating. Dinner would have been much more enjoyable if we didn't feel as if they wanted us out so quickly. this establishment has a very good reputation, so I was both suprised and disappointed.Special Features:
- Best lobster rollsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2014My husband, father- and mother-in-law had 6:30PM reservations on a Friday evening. I arrived about 15 minutes late, but they seated the rest of the party right when they got there. That was nice, since some restaurants require the entire party to be there first. The restaurant packed for their happy hour specials (5-7PM EST), which offers $6/$7 drink specials, $1 raw oyster and clams, and a nice selection of reduced priced appetizers, so the noise level was a bit higher during this time. But as the evening wore on, the noise level started to lower. They have the BEST lobster rolls in the city, hands down! It's $28 but worth every penny. They serve a generous portion on a nicely toasted brioche hot dog bun and old bay seasoned fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it and will go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014we loved everything off the happy hour and regular menu we sampled except the calamari which were rock hard (maybe reused the oil too many times) and needs improvement excellent fresh sea food otherwise and bonus kids menu made things really easy service was exceptional Can't beleive we've lived here for 8 years and only discovered MI now!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie but GoodyLauraRVIPDined on 4/27/2014Reliably good food and festive atmosphere in a neighborhood full of meh and sub-meh restaurants...no wonder it is still around. The garden is great if you can get in, but even indoors feels like a little New England vacay, with high-quality seafood and a varied menu. If you don't feel like a slab o' fish, make a meal of appetizers and you'll be more than satisfied. Recommend: fish tacos, shrimp sliders, and oysters, oysters, oysters.Special Features:
- skiinyfoodVIPDined on 4/26/2014Food was great. Got a free side for checking in on foursquare. Complimentary pudding desert was a nice add. The service was too rushed for a saturday night.Special Features: