The Mermaid Inn Uptown
568 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mermaid Inn Uptown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themermaidnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 799-7400
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm,
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Cressotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Adam@tminyc.com 2122428222x
- Cross Street: 88th Street
- Public Transit: We are located near the 1 train at 86th Street & Broadway, near the B,C,E trains at 86th & CPW, and near the M104, M11, & M7 bus lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is free street parking available after 7pm Monday-Saturday and all day Sunday. Parking Garages are also available in the neighborhood. Garsch Garage-212.724.6927 (24hrs)
181 West 87th (Columbus/Amsterdam)
207 West 88th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
Central Kenny Garage- (24hrs)
214 West 88th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
Icon- 212.874.9899 (24hrs)
205-209 West 89th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
A word from The Mermaid Inn Uptown
The East Village's favorite fish shack is now the Upper West Side's favorite as well, with a second location at 568 Amsterdam Avenue, near 88th St. Danny Abrams, who has owned and operated some of the city's favorite restaurants, including The Red Cat and The Harrison, is the principle owner, and Michael Cressotti is their corporate executive chef. Swim on over for Mermaid Inn favorites like the Lobster Sandwich with Old Bay Fries, seared Skate wing, Mermaid fish tacos, or the Happiest of Happy Hours. On Sundays, join The Mermaid for Lobsterpalooza: $26 for a pound & a quarter lobster, red bliss potatoes & grilled corn on the cob. The uptown location also features an expanded raw bar, brunch and the same casual and cozy "shore feel" as the downtown spot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Mermaid Inn Uptown - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
The Mermaid Inn Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (107)fit for foodies (69)great for outdoor dining (43)great for brunch (34)romantic (30)hot spot (29)good for groups (28)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (20)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Always the bestNewyorkerVIPDined on 11/23/2014We dine at Mermaid Inn once or twice a wee and always enjoy the experience and food. Today we enjoyed a wonderful brunch. The french toast and pancakes were perfect. The pancakes are fluffy and tasty. The service is so wonderful - we never had to ask for coffee refills or the check. The server refilled the water and coffee many times. When we were leaving i commented that Mermaid is the most consistent restaurant experience that I know.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for an early dinner & came across happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/22/2014They have happy hour, including dollar oysters, every day. Plus, they're nice when you order from that menu. Great staff. Tasty food. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyablecoreyman97VIPDined on 11/15/2014The Mermaid Inn has it all. The food was delicious (skate was top notch) and the service was really good. Some nice wine bottle choice that are reasonable. The only hiccup was the noise level. It was difficult to hear the people sitting at our table. No loud music, just poor acoustics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Mermaid Inn Uptown rocks!BuonappetitoVIPDined on 11/15/2014Amazing service and outstanding oysters! Hospitality was Mermaid Inn Uptown's top priority compared to the Mermaid Inn West Village. The $1 oysters during Happy Hour were fresh, shrimp avocado sliders were tasty and we loved the complimentary dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaroVIPDined on 11/13/2014This place is such a gem! Every dish is delicious, the service is always knowledgeable and friendly, and the ambiance is warm and inviting. Can't wait to go back! While everything is perfect, my favorites (so far) are the steamed clams, lobster sandwich, fish tacos, and salmon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood on the UPWSDrBenelliDined on 11/9/2014Ate here with three friends on Sunday. Excellent. Our server was smart, efficient and knowledgable. We had Oysters, Clams and Octopus....all were delicious. The. Octopus was grilled to perfection, the shellfish fresh and delicious. My friends had the blackened Catfish, perfectly prepared and delicious. I had the lobster special, steamed perfectly and tasty. Ask for a table in the back where it's quieter - we were actually able to have a conversation! The Mermaid Inn never disappoints.Special Features:
- Lobster night on SundaysPianogirl7VIPDined on 11/9/2014The spot is a real find. Cozy, lively, friendly upper Westside spot. Wood panelled and clubby in feeling, we had a delicious seafood dinner. Everyone gets chocolate pudding at the end of the meal ! YUMSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!ErinDined on 11/9/2014Best fried calamari and the oysters were a steal.Gouda mac= must have.Our server (brunette girl) was excellent,which was a huge relief b/c so many times service in the city is sketch/bad.The bus boy magically cleared the table/crumbs in one fell swoop. Impressive/refreshing.I chose this restaurant to bring my parents for a special vacation meal, and they loved it.My complaint- I had requested a table by the wall (a few days ahead of time) and we were sat in the middle of the back dining room next to a service station (not wall) where a food runner kept hitting my chair (I would have checked my big coat but no coat check)and the two guy waiters stood and had a lively conversation right next to the table. Also it was way too hot in the room.Special Features:
- Always great food and drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2014One of my staple restaurants in NYC, love the happy hour and Sunday lobster specials. And we had great service from Matthew P.I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodlovetoeatDined on 10/30/2014When in the mood for good seafood one can always count on the Mermaid Inn,One of my favorite restaurant in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 stars!RaeFDined on 10/30/2014If I could rate the Mermaid Inn 10 stars I would! The food is out of this world, service is great, ambiance is fabulous and the best part about the whole experience is that you are guaranteed to be eating responsibly sourced seafood, nothing that is overfished is on the menu. Congratulations Mermaid Inn for such a winning combination.Special Features:
- One of my repeat favoritesJeffCDined on 10/17/2014Always have good food and good service here. We got a table by the open windows on a very pleasant fall evening, and my date treated. A perfect eveningSpecial Features:
- RickDined on 10/15/2014Well prepared and attractive presentation So many things on the menu to choose from. They all sound delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and ambience!marmacDined on 10/11/2014Best Challah French toast ever....friendly service with really great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, super-fresh seafoodNYContheroadVIPDined on 10/9/2014We were delighted with our evening at the Mermaid Inn - wonderful oysters (especially during the Happy Hour special), excellent calamari and fish entrees. A cozy place, attentive service, tolerable noise level - a go-to place for the Upper West Side.Special Features:
- Great food at 100 decibelsDarthVaderVIPDined on 10/6/2014This was our first meal at Mermaid Inn, but we will be unlikely to return. The food was superb: a wonderful grilled octopus starter; extremely well prepared and perfectly cooked salmon. But the ambience is a challenge! We were first seated at a table in the front room toward the end of Happy Hour (dollar oysters that looked sleek and well fed) - but given the noise level, Ecstatic Hour would be more apt... In keeping with the excellent service we encountered, the host graciously moved us to the back room where we had a table squeezed into a corner, and where the noise level was at least where I could engage in spirited conversation with my dinner partner directly across from me... I gave up trying to talk to anyone seated further away.Special Features:
- TracyDined on 10/5/2014Friendly service, great to have children menu for my kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongW85131Dined on 10/5/2014I've only ever been for brunch, but it's a great go-to neighborhood place. I always take visitors there because I know they won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - as alwaysUWSJoeDined on 10/3/2014Another delicious dinner and great dining experience at The Mermaid Inn on the UWS! Starting with the cocktail list and moving through appetizers and dinner, we had an outstanding evening. The cocktail list offers unique options and a good variety. The food, every time I've been here, is well-prepared and served quickly; and the menu changes often enough that there is always something new to try. At least as important to me as the quality of the food at any restaurant is the service - and this staff is superb: informative, opinionated, attentive, and friendly. Absolutely a neighborhood favorite, and honestly, one of the best places I've eaten in all of Manhattan in the ten years I've lived here.Special Features:
- A real gemFoxbatDined on 10/2/2014One mid week evening i wanted a restaurant with good food, price and a relaxed atmosphere with my GF...this place was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeobiancoVIPDined on 9/30/2014Always a treat to eat at the Mermaid Inn! Get there before 7:00 for $1 oysters and clams and great Bloody Marys ! Our server, Guy was fantatic and the vibe in the place was lively and fun.Special Features:
- Love.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Great date spot or a great night out with the girls. Really tasty, fresh seafood.Special Features:
- Fish loversOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2014The best fish tacos in town! Excellent calamari and oysters as well. Great neighborhood joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood neighborhood spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Staff is very capable and friendly. Food is very good and reliably so, time after time.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceHappyDined on 9/17/2014Always great food - and great team in the front of the house. We got there and they were going to seat us in an area I was not completely comfortable. They noted it and quickly switched tables for us. They even notated in our "profile" where we're most comfortable so we won't have that problem again in the future. Nice group! (And still great food!). Plus - who couldn't love a place that makes you choose whether or not to have dessert?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Oysters!Montpassion1Dined on 9/15/2014the happy hour oyster deal is great for all the oyster lovers out there. Weekdays from 5-7!Special Features:
- ComplacencySonnyDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant has lost some of the pizazz it had when it opened The skate tasted more like fried fish than when skate is prepared at a fine restaurant and the fish tacos had gone from great to OK for a neighborhood backup it is OK but the "hot scene" with "great food" seems to have slipped awayI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourPhilbo130Dined on 9/10/2014The happy hour food menu is delicious. We had the shrimp avocado sliders and fish tacos. I could've eaten a hundred each. The cocktail menu is really good, and fit for serious mixology geeks (like me).The service is really nice. We left a huge tip, because we were so delighted with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as usual!HaHaDined on 9/8/2014The service at the Mermaid In is superb. The ambiance is great! The food has also way been great but my Trout yesterday was not the best, bland. However I've had almost every other fish on the menue and they have all been great! If u like octopus, this is fantastic, lite and refreshing, not to miss. And the oysters, let's talk oysters, this is the only reason I started coming here. Over the years I leaned they had a great menue too;) 4 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oysters and martinispatienceVIPDined on 9/6/2014We love the oysters and the happy hour menu. We have never been disappointed at the Mermaid Inn!Special Features:
- Happy Hour HeaventheduchessDined on 9/4/2014Definitely the best happy hour I've had in Manhattan. $1 oysters are a fantastic steal and the cocktails were delicious.Special Features:
- Very good and very noisyPapapatVIPDined on 8/28/2014Had a wonderful meal with great service but couldn't hear each other. Maybe ext time we will try to sit outside.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday BashIluminaditaDined on 8/26/2014On the 26th I invited three very special friends to celebrate their belated birthdays. We had an excellent experience! The food was amazing, we had the happy hour oysters and the fried calamari with a bottle of Greek wine, which was a first for me. Our waitress, Anabel, was very attentive with our needs and her dinner suggestions were right on. I am so glad that I was able to celebrate so a special occasion in such a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Commitment to service and qualityBellydance3Dined on 8/26/2014Happy as always with spot-on staff and fresh, good-quality seafood food prepared and served cordially, efficiently and with care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- among the neighborhood's prideJeffrey89VIPDined on 8/25/2014Great, bustling spot on the upper west side. Good food and a lot of area energy. The fish tacos are a delight and I always love the chocolate pudding desserts (gratis). YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014The appetizers at the Mermaid Inn are consistently interesting, fresh and substantial. The main dishes also are fresh and have ample portions. The wine list is well-crafted with moderately priced wines. The pots of pudding at the end are a nice touch.Special Features:
- Lobsterpalooza TimeNoisyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Had a great meal on Sunday night at Mermaid Inn. They have their Lobsterpalooza special of lobster, potatoes, corn on the cob, cole slaw and complimentary little pot of chocolate for dessert. Had a table just inside the restaurant from the outdoor cafe so it felt like being outdoors on a beautiful night. The waitress could not have been nicer - sweet, fun, helpful, attentive. The food was all delicious. Not the biggest lobster ever but so tasty. A lot of people must be out of town because there were many empty tables, something we never encountered before for Lobsterpalooza. The only issue we ever have there is the acoustics. It's very noisy, no matter whether you're in the front or back room.
- AmazingJkoltunDined on 8/16/2014Form the food to the service I could not ask for anything better. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersTobayDined on 8/11/2014Happy Hour has not only AMAZING $1 oysters, but also some other appetizer items that are soooo delicious. We got the oysters and mini tacos and it was perfect! Also, try the Gone with the Gin.Special Features:
- Sunday night dealsBuffaloLaurenVIPDined on 8/10/2014Don't miss the $1 oysters at happy hour and the lobster special Sunday night, you will need reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.