The Mermaid Inn Uptown
568 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mermaid Inn Uptown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themermaidnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127997400x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm,
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Cressotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Adam@tminyc.com 2122428222x
- Cross Street: 88th Street
- Public Transit: We are located near the 1 train at 86th Street & Broadway, near the B,C,E trains at 86th & CPW, and near the M104, M11, & M7 bus lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is free street parking available after 7pm Monday-Saturday and all day Sunday. Parking Garages are also available in the neighborhood. Garsch Garage-212.724.6927 (24hrs)
181 West 87th (Columbus/Amsterdam)
207 West 88th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
Central Kenny Garage- (24hrs)
214 West 88th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
Icon- 212.874.9899 (24hrs)
205-209 West 89th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
A word from The Mermaid Inn Uptown
The East Village's favorite fish shack is now the Upper West Side's favorite as well, with a second location at 568 Amsterdam Avenue, near 88th St. Danny Abrams, who has owned and operated some of the city's favorite restaurants, including The Red Cat and The Harrison, is the principle owner, and Michael Cressotti is their corporate executive chef. Swim on over for Mermaid Inn favorites like the Lobster Sandwich with Old Bay Fries, seared Skate wing, Mermaid fish tacos, or the Happiest of Happy Hours. On Sundays, join The Mermaid for Lobsterpalooza: $26 for a pound & a quarter lobster, red bliss potatoes & grilled corn on the cob. The uptown location also features an expanded raw bar, brunch and the same casual and cozy "shore feel" as the downtown spot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Mermaid Inn Uptown - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
The Mermaid Inn Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (95)fit for foodies (58)great for outdoor dining (48)great for brunch (29)romantic (26)hot spot (24)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (19)special occasion (17)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- One of my repeat favoritesJeffCDined on 10/17/2014Always have good food and good service here. We got a table by the open windows on a very pleasant fall evening, and my date treated. A perfect eveningSpecial Features:
- RickDined on 10/15/2014Well prepared and attractive presentation So many things on the menu to choose from. They all sound delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and ambience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Best Challah French toast ever....friendly service with really great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, super-fresh seafoodNYContheroadVIPDined on 10/9/2014We were delighted with our evening at the Mermaid Inn - wonderful oysters (especially during the Happy Hour special), excellent calamari and fish entrees. A cozy place, attentive service, tolerable noise level - a go-to place for the Upper West Side.Special Features:
- Great food at 100 decibelsDarthVaderVIPDined on 10/6/2014This was our first meal at Mermaid Inn, but we will be unlikely to return. The food was superb: a wonderful grilled octopus starter; extremely well prepared and perfectly cooked salmon. But the ambience is a challenge! We were first seated at a table in the front room toward the end of Happy Hour (dollar oysters that looked sleek and well fed) - but given the noise level, Ecstatic Hour would be more apt... In keeping with the excellent service we encountered, the host graciously moved us to the back room where we had a table squeezed into a corner, and where the noise level was at least where I could engage in spirited conversation with my dinner partner directly across from me... I gave up trying to talk to anyone seated further away.Special Features:
- TracyDined on 10/5/2014Friendly service, great to have children menu for my kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongW85131Dined on 10/5/2014I've only ever been for brunch, but it's a great go-to neighborhood place. I always take visitors there because I know they won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - as alwaysUWSJoeDined on 10/3/2014Another delicious dinner and great dining experience at The Mermaid Inn on the UWS! Starting with the cocktail list and moving through appetizers and dinner, we had an outstanding evening. The cocktail list offers unique options and a good variety. The food, every time I've been here, is well-prepared and served quickly; and the menu changes often enough that there is always something new to try. At least as important to me as the quality of the food at any restaurant is the service - and this staff is superb: informative, opinionated, attentive, and friendly. Absolutely a neighborhood favorite, and honestly, one of the best places I've eaten in all of Manhattan in the ten years I've lived here.Special Features:
- A real gemFoxbatDined on 10/2/2014One mid week evening i wanted a restaurant with good food, price and a relaxed atmosphere with my GF...this place was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeobiancoVIPDined on 9/30/2014Always a treat to eat at the Mermaid Inn! Get there before 7:00 for $1 oysters and clams and great Bloody Marys ! Our server, Guy was fantatic and the vibe in the place was lively and fun.Special Features:
- Love.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Great date spot or a great night out with the girls. Really tasty, fresh seafood.Special Features:
- Fish loversOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2014The best fish tacos in town! Excellent calamari and oysters as well. Great neighborhood joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood neighborhood spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Staff is very capable and friendly. Food is very good and reliably so, time after time.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceHappyDined on 9/17/2014Always great food - and great team in the front of the house. We got there and they were going to seat us in an area I was not completely comfortable. They noted it and quickly switched tables for us. They even notated in our "profile" where we're most comfortable so we won't have that problem again in the future. Nice group! (And still great food!). Plus - who couldn't love a place that makes you choose whether or not to have dessert?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Oysters!Montpassion1Dined on 9/15/2014the happy hour oyster deal is great for all the oyster lovers out there. Weekdays from 5-7!Special Features:
- ComplacencySonnyDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant has lost some of the pizazz it had when it opened The skate tasted more like fried fish than when skate is prepared at a fine restaurant and the fish tacos had gone from great to OK for a neighborhood backup it is OK but the "hot scene" with "great food" seems to have slipped awayI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourPhilbo130Dined on 9/10/2014The happy hour food menu is delicious. We had the shrimp avocado sliders and fish tacos. I could've eaten a hundred each. The cocktail menu is really good, and fit for serious mixology geeks (like me).The service is really nice. We left a huge tip, because we were so delighted with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as usual!HaHaDined on 9/8/2014The service at the Mermaid In is superb. The ambiance is great! The food has also way been great but my Trout yesterday was not the best, bland. However I've had almost every other fish on the menue and they have all been great! If u like octopus, this is fantastic, lite and refreshing, not to miss. And the oysters, let's talk oysters, this is the only reason I started coming here. Over the years I leaned they had a great menue too;) 4 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oysters and martinispatienceVIPDined on 9/6/2014We love the oysters and the happy hour menu. We have never been disappointed at the Mermaid Inn!Special Features:
- Happy Hour HeaventheduchessDined on 9/4/2014Definitely the best happy hour I've had in Manhattan. $1 oysters are a fantastic steal and the cocktails were delicious.Special Features:
- Very good and very noisyPapapatVIPDined on 8/28/2014Had a wonderful meal with great service but couldn't hear each other. Maybe ext time we will try to sit outside.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday BashIluminaditaDined on 8/26/2014On the 26th I invited three very special friends to celebrate their belated birthdays. We had an excellent experience! The food was amazing, we had the happy hour oysters and the fried calamari with a bottle of Greek wine, which was a first for me. Our waitress, Anabel, was very attentive with our needs and her dinner suggestions were right on. I am so glad that I was able to celebrate so a special occasion in such a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Commitment to service and qualityBellydance3Dined on 8/26/2014Happy as always with spot-on staff and fresh, good-quality seafood food prepared and served cordially, efficiently and with care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- among the neighborhood's prideJeffrey89VIPDined on 8/25/2014Great, bustling spot on the upper west side. Good food and a lot of area energy. The fish tacos are a delight and I always love the chocolate pudding desserts (gratis). YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014The appetizers at the Mermaid Inn are consistently interesting, fresh and substantial. The main dishes also are fresh and have ample portions. The wine list is well-crafted with moderately priced wines. The pots of pudding at the end are a nice touch.Special Features:
- Lobsterpalooza TimeNoisyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Had a great meal on Sunday night at Mermaid Inn. They have their Lobsterpalooza special of lobster, potatoes, corn on the cob, cole slaw and complimentary little pot of chocolate for dessert. Had a table just inside the restaurant from the outdoor cafe so it felt like being outdoors on a beautiful night. The waitress could not have been nicer - sweet, fun, helpful, attentive. The food was all delicious. Not the biggest lobster ever but so tasty. A lot of people must be out of town because there were many empty tables, something we never encountered before for Lobsterpalooza. The only issue we ever have there is the acoustics. It's very noisy, no matter whether you're in the front or back room.
- AmazingJkoltunDined on 8/16/2014Form the food to the service I could not ask for anything better. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersTobayDined on 8/11/2014Happy Hour has not only AMAZING $1 oysters, but also some other appetizer items that are soooo delicious. We got the oysters and mini tacos and it was perfect! Also, try the Gone with the Gin.Special Features:
- Sunday night dealsBuffaloLaurenVIPDined on 8/10/2014Don't miss the $1 oysters at happy hour and the lobster special Sunday night, you will need reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Great selection of Oysters. My friends and I started with the pancakes to share. Light and fluffy- Delicious. We also ate the steak and eggs and the fish tacos, which my friends loved. We have been back since, and will continue to return!Special Features:
- Happy girlDeliciousDined on 8/9/2014We made reservations last minute and ended up getting a great time and table. Everything was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster Lovers MeccaCrisPastelArtistDined on 8/9/20145-7 PM happy hour with $1 oysters and clams and small happy hour menu. Smiling, happy staff with a great energetic vibe. Make a reservation so you won't be disappointed— it's a hot spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters!RaeFDined on 8/4/2014Whole menu is amazing...but they have the BEST oysters in town. You can get $1 oysters for happy hour, but whatever time you order them, they are always beautifully prepared and delicious. The service here is second to none, the wait staff are all super lovely and friendly and service is seamless. I love it here and am now a regular!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014Went for the Sunday night lobster special. Awesome value and food was great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice happy hourKennyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We stopped in for happy hour and the specials on small plates and drinks but particularly $1 oysters (variety is chef's choice). The food and service were both very good. Noise level can be a bit high at times. I've eaten a full dinner entree here another time and it was excellent. I certainly will return.Special Features:
- NOLAloveNOLAloveVIPDined on 7/30/2014Good food, VERY noisy back room table. You should not have to shout at your waitress ever.Special Features:
- Mermaid MerrimentnycmommaVIPDined on 7/30/2014super deluxe. happy hour rocks. service is always impeccable.Special Features:
- Crab Boil SuccessJessDined on 7/29/2014First time here for a crab boil and it was awesome! the whole experience and eating with your hands was fun! I love crab boils so this fulfilled my craving for crabs, corn and potatoes! Went on a double date and our friends really enjoyed themselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters!!crystaldiscoDined on 7/25/2014Made a reservation here for 4 people at 5:45 PM. Staff was extremely prompt and professional. Make sure to make a reservation here before coming! While I was waiting for the rest of my group to arrive and for my table to be set up, I overheard a few people saying, "OMG an hour and 15 minute wait!" I ordered a Kentucky Green and a Peach Basil drink (forgot the name), and they were both excellent. I prefer the Kentucky Green a little more because the Peach one was a little too sour for my taste. OYSTERS WERE GREAT!! Decent sized and cut very cleanly; so far, no sand :) Comes with a vinegar salsa (?), cocktail sauce, and lemons wrapped in a yellow mesh sleeve. Calamari was pretty good but next time, I'll empty my wallet only for the oysters.Special Features:
- NICKNAMEVIPDined on 7/16/2014It is highly overrated. The noise level is unbearable. Food is quite mediocre, as well as a service. The menu choices even for fish dishes are limited. There is no deserts.