The Mermaid Inn Uptown
568 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mermaid Inn Uptown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themermaidnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127997400x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm,
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Cressotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Adam@tminyc.com 2122428222x
- Cross Street: 88th Street
- Public Transit: We are located near the 1 train at 86th Street & Broadway, near the B,C,E trains at 86th & CPW, and near the M104, M11, & M7 bus lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is free street parking available after 7pm Monday-Saturday and all day Sunday. Parking Garages are also available in the neighborhood. Garsch Garage-212.724.6927 (24hrs)
181 West 87th (Columbus/Amsterdam)
207 West 88th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
Central Kenny Garage- (24hrs)
214 West 88th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
Icon- 212.874.9899 (24hrs)
205-209 West 89th (Amsterdam/Bdwy)
A word from The Mermaid Inn Uptown
The East Village's favorite fish shack is now the Upper West Side's favorite as well, with a second location at 568 Amsterdam Avenue, near 88th St. Danny Abrams, who has owned and operated some of the city's favorite restaurants, including The Red Cat and The Harrison, is the principle owner, and Michael Cressotti is their corporate executive chef. Swim on over for Mermaid Inn favorites like the Lobster Sandwich with Old Bay Fries, seared Skate wing, Mermaid fish tacos, or the Happiest of Happy Hours. On Sundays, join The Mermaid for Lobsterpalooza: $26 for a pound & a quarter lobster, red bliss potatoes & grilled corn on the cob. The uptown location also features an expanded raw bar, brunch and the same casual and cozy "shore feel" as the downtown spot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Mermaid Inn Uptown - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
The Mermaid Inn Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (128)fit for foodies (69)great for outdoor dining (68)great for brunch (44)romantic (36)hot spot (34)great for lunch (29)special occasion (28)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (23)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (7)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Very good and very noisyPapapatVIPDined on 8/28/2014Had a wonderful meal with great service but couldn't hear each other. Maybe ext time we will try to sit outside.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday BashOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014On the 26th I invited three very special friends to celebrate their belated birthdays. We had an excellent experience! The food was amazing, we had the happy hour oysters and the fried calamari with a bottle of Greek wine, which was a first for me. Our waitress, Anabel, was very attentive with our needs and her dinner suggestions were right on. I am so glad that I was able to celebrate so a special occasion in such a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Commitment to service and qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Happy as always with spot-on staff and fresh, good-quality seafood food prepared and served cordially, efficiently and with care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- among the neighborhood's prideJeffrey89VIPDined on 8/25/2014Great, bustling spot on the upper west side. Good food and a lot of area energy. The fish tacos are a delight and I always love the chocolate pudding desserts (gratis). YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014The appetizers at the Mermaid Inn are consistently interesting, fresh and substantial. The main dishes also are fresh and have ample portions. The wine list is well-crafted with moderately priced wines. The pots of pudding at the end are a nice touch.Special Features:
- Lobsterpalooza TimeNoisyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Had a great meal on Sunday night at Mermaid Inn. They have their Lobsterpalooza special of lobster, potatoes, corn on the cob, cole slaw and complimentary little pot of chocolate for dessert. Had a table just inside the restaurant from the outdoor cafe so it felt like being outdoors on a beautiful night. The waitress could not have been nicer - sweet, fun, helpful, attentive. The food was all delicious. Not the biggest lobster ever but so tasty. A lot of people must be out of town because there were many empty tables, something we never encountered before for Lobsterpalooza. The only issue we ever have there is the acoustics. It's very noisy, no matter whether you're in the front or back room.
- AmazingJkoltunDined on 8/16/2014Form the food to the service I could not ask for anything better. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersTobayDined on 8/11/2014Happy Hour has not only AMAZING $1 oysters, but also some other appetizer items that are soooo delicious. We got the oysters and mini tacos and it was perfect! Also, try the Gone with the Gin.Special Features:
- Sunday night dealsBuffaloLaurenVIPDined on 8/10/2014Don't miss the $1 oysters at happy hour and the lobster special Sunday night, you will need reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy girlDeliciousDined on 8/9/2014We made reservations last minute and ended up getting a great time and table. Everything was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster Lovers MeccaCrisPastelArtistDined on 8/9/20145-7 PM happy hour with $1 oysters and clams and small happy hour menu. Smiling, happy staff with a great energetic vibe. Make a reservation so you won't be disappointed— it's a hot spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters!RaeFDined on 8/4/2014Whole menu is amazing...but they have the BEST oysters in town. You can get $1 oysters for happy hour, but whatever time you order them, they are always beautifully prepared and delicious. The service here is second to none, the wait staff are all super lovely and friendly and service is seamless. I love it here and am now a regular!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014Went for the Sunday night lobster special. Awesome value and food was great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice happy hourKennyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We stopped in for happy hour and the specials on small plates and drinks but particularly $1 oysters (variety is chef's choice). The food and service were both very good. Noise level can be a bit high at times. I've eaten a full dinner entree here another time and it was excellent. I certainly will return.Special Features:
- NOLAloveNOLAloveVIPDined on 7/30/2014Good food, VERY noisy back room table. You should not have to shout at your waitress ever.Special Features:
- Mermaid MerrimentnycmommaVIPDined on 7/30/2014super deluxe. happy hour rocks. service is always impeccable.Special Features:
- Crab Boil SuccessJessDined on 7/29/2014First time here for a crab boil and it was awesome! the whole experience and eating with your hands was fun! I love crab boils so this fulfilled my craving for crabs, corn and potatoes! Went on a double date and our friends really enjoyed themselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters!!crystaldiscoDined on 7/25/2014Made a reservation here for 4 people at 5:45 PM. Staff was extremely prompt and professional. Make sure to make a reservation here before coming! While I was waiting for the rest of my group to arrive and for my table to be set up, I overheard a few people saying, "OMG an hour and 15 minute wait!" I ordered a Kentucky Green and a Peach Basil drink (forgot the name), and they were both excellent. I prefer the Kentucky Green a little more because the Peach one was a little too sour for my taste. OYSTERS WERE GREAT!! Decent sized and cut very cleanly; so far, no sand :) Comes with a vinegar salsa (?), cocktail sauce, and lemons wrapped in a yellow mesh sleeve. Calamari was pretty good but next time, I'll empty my wallet only for the oysters.Special Features:
- NICKNAMEDined on 7/16/2014It is highly overrated. The noise level is unbearable. Food is quite mediocre, as well as a service. The menu choices even for fish dishes are limited. There is no deserts.
- ProblematicButtonsDined on 7/14/2014Entrees good (liked the blackened catfish and hush puppies) and blue point oysters also good -- better than expected in fact. But fried oysters came cold. And boy this place is loud -- not for anyone with even slightly aging ears.
- Solid FoodTimothyDined on 7/13/2014The ambience and food here is fairly consistent. Love the dessert treat and little fish they give you in the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!KailaDined on 7/8/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday this week and we loved it! In fact, I'm about to book another reservation for this weekend because we can't get enough of their oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourBappy34Dined on 7/7/2014My gf and I went for happy hour and some oysters. The $1 oysters were amazing and the drinks were great. We also ordered mini fish tacos (which are quite mini) and the gouda mac and cheese which is amazing. I would recommend for happy hour between 5-7 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMariaDined on 7/2/2014We were seated to a great table even we though we arrived 15 minutes late to our reservation - what outstanding service! The food is delicious and their happy hour deals make it easy to try out different things. The soft shell crab on a bed of heirloom tomatoes was amazing!Special Features:
- Fab food and a touch loudDisappointedDined on 6/30/2014The food was fantastic. The octopus was on an interesting bed of greens, the catfish was outstanding and the tuna tartare was a refreshing mix of lime and avocado. The main dining room was incredibly loud and the back dining room had seemed significantly better - but it was hard to have a conversation. Also if you like them on Facebook you can get a coupon code for 20% off on Mondays!!!! And one last thing! They have an app for oysters called oysterpedia....brilliant idea!!! Two forks up in my book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old faithfuldianeDined on 6/30/2014It's always a great experience at Mermaid Inn (uptown). Fabulous service, great happy hour deals and fresh seafood. It's a true neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Our second visit to this restaurant. Good atmosphere, tasty ice cold oysters and nice seafood entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be perfect.......EileenVIPDined on 6/28/2014......but like MANY restaurants in NYC, the music is too loud!!!!! People like to talk to the person across the table from them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Mermaid Inn UptownNYCRTDined on 6/28/2014Great low key place with outdoor seating... and great food. The staff is on there toes to take care of you.Special Features:
- Recommend the skatedfnomnomDined on 6/27/2014Beautiful and cozy atmosphere. Attentive service and fantastic food. Had oysters, a side salad and the skate (which was meticulously presented without being fussy). If you're into dirty martinis you'll love the "hot and dirty" cocktail - couldn't resist having two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2014When we arrived early the hostess said that you were seating on time (in 30 minutes). There was no room at the bar for a cocktail so we left the restaurant and went next door. That was a bit of a turn off. We could not enjoy your Happy Hour cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceslowserviceDined on 6/25/2014My wife and I were seated within a few minutes our 630 reservation. After ordering, we had to wait 50 mins for our appetizers (half dozen oysters, tuna crudo, shrimp cocktail). I was only told after asking twice that "sorry, the kitchen is really backed up right now". The manager and waitress did apologize and bought a round of cocktails only after I asked for the third time for a status update on our appetizers. Overall, still disappointed that we waited 50 mins for appetizers --- which none of the were cooked appetizers!!!
- Great Food-Great Service!SadieVIPDined on 6/22/2014This was my third visit to this location and for 2 of the 3 visitis I had the server named Ben and he is simply incredible so friendly and knowledgable! The food is always so fresh!I brought a friend with me for dinner as we were going to an event at The Beacon and it made for a perfect evening!! Thank you -Special Features:
- If you like seafood...TomMVIPDined on 6/20/2014Excellent selection and preparation...cold apps...oysters...and some not so typical dishes like Skate. Very nice outdoor section as well. Come hungry!Special Features:
- Great fish!BecksDined on 6/20/2014Happy hour oysters and great fish main courses. Atmosphere is vibrant however you can still hear yourself talk. Very popular - requires a reservation. Ask for the front room - it is brighter! Great bar seating as well.Special Features:
- Pot of CrabsNyersLayersDined on 6/17/2014We went here for my brother's birthday, but we also choose here because we heard about the Pot of Crab Summer Special. We ordered a couple buckets and ate it family-style. It was really fun, and of course, the food is awesome, too!Special Features:
- Great UWS SpotNYCFANVIPDined on 6/14/2014Had a great experience on Saturday evening, made the tail end of Happy Hour so got to take advantage of tasting some additional items. Clams on half shell were the freshest we had ever tasted. There was as soft shell crab appetizer dipped in corn meal and served over watermelon and jalapeno.....to die for!!! Love the fact that there is no dessert and they automatically give you a pot de crème at the end of the meal. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LMitDined on 6/14/2014Tables VERY close together. If you have more than four people it would be hard to hear each other. Generous happy hour -- drinks limited but includes some food and you don't have to be at the bar.
- always the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014my wife and I go here for special occasions- birthdays and anniversaries. we were about ten minutes late for our reservation on a rainy night but were still greeted with smiles and acknowledgement of the birthday mentioned in the reservation. seated right away. probably the most attentive service from host, server, bus boy of any restaurant in new york city. waiter was pro-active in allowing us to get our first orders in during their happy hour. you really get good portions for your money. lobster roll is delicious and a good size, and you get a pile of Old Bay fries with it.Special Features:
- Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/11/2014WE really enjoyed our happy hour time with nice, briny oysters at a reasonable price! we added a few other great appetizers like tuna tartare. The house white wine is very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.