60 Franklin St
Boston, MA 02110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themerchantboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 482-6060
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Foley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We are a short walk from the Downtown Crossing T stop on the red and orange lines. We are a slightly longer walk from Park Street station on the green line or State Street on the blue line. And we are close to all bus lines that service Downtown Crossing.
- Private Party Contact: Tena Reynolds 6174826060x
- Cross Street: Arch St
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Downtown Crossing T stop on the red and orange lines. We are a slightly longer walk from Park Street station on the green line or State Street on the blue line. And we are close to all bus lines that service Downtown Crossing.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated parking available at 33 Arch Street parking garage.
A word from The Merchant
At The Merchant, we make almost all our fare from scratch. Executive chef Matt Foley previously worked at both Craigie on Main in Cambridge and Sycamore in Newton. The Merchant is a big space that served for more than a century as a leather store. We've brought in high-top tables near the windows ... a 40-foot bar on one side of the room … and more formal dining spots on the opposite side. We have a semi-private dining room in back, and another dining room downstairs. For our menu, Chef Foley cures and smokes all the meat in house. Our burger is top-notch, as are other dishes like steak and eggs, sweetbread nuggets, and “rustic” desserts. The Merchant serves salads, sandwiches ($10-$12), and more for the lunch rush. And for dinner, we are a full-service brasserie (with most entrees ranging from $20-$24). The bar has 36 beers on tap, many of them locally brewed, plus a full selection of craft cocktails to serve our patrons, especially the after-work crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Merchant reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (42)vibrant bar scene (41)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (21)romantic (11)late-night find (10)special occasion (10)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A Great Find!ApoliDined on 11/8/2014I had never been, but the atmosphere, food and service were all stellar. The menu wasn't huge - but it is varied and seems to have something for everyone. I definitely plan on returning!Special Features:
- BillandJanetDined on 11/1/2014The food was great. We had the mussels and the bacon burger, and both were terrific. Our waitress was very helpful, and attentive. We had a new bartender who made an outstanding margarita. We were downtown for a special event, so may not be back soon, but would recommend to others.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun findmindiDined on 11/1/2014We were going to a show at the orpheum and needed a place near by. We're frim metro west and had no problem parkung. It was a great little find for us tucked away in the financial district. We ordered the clams casino for a starter. They were overcooked so they gladly replaced them. We had the steak frite recommended by phantom ghormet which was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great soupLRoyGDined on 10/30/2014Loved the mushroom soup and wedge salad with crispy pancetta. Very nice, attentive service, seated within 5 minutes of my reservation. Like almost every restaurant these days, too loud for easy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food vry good, service great. Loud!PelicanDined on 10/27/2014Good neutral venue to meet potential new employee for new hire. But ambient noise levels were a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/27/2014This visit I ordered the cream of mushroom soup which and their pasta app. Both were very good and came out spending a little more that what I would have for an entree and more satisfied. This is the fist 4 stars that I have given the Merchant.Special Features:
- Could use some improvementNornorVIPDined on 10/25/2014This place was alright. It still needs to work out some kinks with its staff. I'm not sure if the waiter was covering too many tables but the service was slow. It took about 10 minutes or so to be greeted at our table and then another 15+ minutes to get our drinks (they came out AFTER our appetizers!) My chicken entree was pretty good but my boyfriend wasn't thrilled with the lamb. They also messed up the side orders.
- Outstanding food, good drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The food was great. They had some unique flavor combos that were outstanding. Good cocktails and good wine. A great find. Would go back anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burger and friesDawn16Dined on 10/16/2014Went for lunch with a couple friends from work. Nice lunch spot. Good service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDinMerchantDined on 10/15/2014I came here for dinner. It's overpriced. However, our meals were good and the food tasted fresh. Nice presentation of the food. The place smelled a little like a bar at 2 am.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehfoodeaterDined on 10/8/2014Very noisy. Food is okay. Nothing special. Wild mushroom risotto was odd - sweet of all things, really bad. My steak - ordered medium rare, came to the table still mooing. It was exceedingly rare - like black and blue. Had to send back. Gnocchi appetizer was incredibly good. Wings are good. Seasonal cobbler - spiced apple and cherry - was very good. It's another dark wood Boston restaurant with sans-serif type. Just okay. However, we were given a lovely after dinner drink gratis. Not sure why but it was a really lovely gesture.
- nice placebobrDined on 10/7/2014Had lunch there for the first time - I ordered the chicken breast which was flavorful. My only complaint is that the mashed potatoes had too much garlic, but that is a personal opinion. I would go there again. The burger looked good. Lunch about 15 dollars for the entree or burger.Special Features:
- Still GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/7/2014The food is ok to good. They are getting better, but this is the first time my guest and I ordered the meatloaf sandwich. It is also the first time I was served meatloaf which was medium rare in the center.I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu surprisescuriousdinerDined on 10/6/2014One person in our lunch party had a warm chicken sandwich that was declared delicious but too rich (the chicken was unexpectedly fried) to eat more than 1/2. My entree of pickled mushrooms over red quinoa (unexpectedly served cold) was a a lovely, composed stripe down the center of the plate, that was not satisfying enough for even a light lunch. The ambience, service, location downtown and the prices are welcoming. I will come back for another business lunch or before-theater dinner and will definitely ask questions about menu items before ordering.Special Features:
- great place in financial districtOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2014We were there on a Sunday before a play so it was quiet although there seemed to be a good bar crowd for football watching. The food was very good. I had Halibut and my BF had the roast chicken breast. Both entries were cooked perfectly, crispy on the outside and very moist on the inside. The waitress recommended the special for dessert, it was incredible, she described it as a "funky PBJ" it was banana bread with peanut butter mousse and a grape sorbet...delicious !
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/4/2014Weren't sure what to expect since it's a new restaurant. The food, service, and atmosphere were very good!Special Features:
- Another good meal, but...DavidVIPDined on 10/2/2014Merchant is a tough restaurant at which to host a business lunch. Very loud atmosphere, and it's often difficult to carry on a meaningful conversation when you can't easily hear what the person seated immediately in front of you is saying. I've asked for (and the host/hostess have generally gratiously accommodated) booths in the back of the restaurant where presumably the noise level is quieter, but it's still very loud. Management needs to think about putting some sound buffers around the restaurant to minimize noise reverberations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food to matchYoullNeverDineAloneDined on 9/30/2014The food and drinks at The Merchant were outstanding. Although our server was in training, she was incredibly prompt and able to answer a couple of questions we had about some of the dishes. She was also very friendly and made for an enjoyable experience. The food came to the table in a reasonable amount of time for us to enjoy our first drink, and the quality was fantastic. The slow roasted Sea Trout was perfectly cooked and the root vegetables were a great compliment, as was the star of the dish, the Spinach. Not sure exactly how it was made, but I don't care. It was delicious! My friend was also very impressed with her chicken dish and noted that it was incredibly moist. Will be back for sure. A new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the MerchantdinnerDined on 9/28/2014I've been to the Merchant once for drinks and apps, and enjoyed the experience so much my husband and I returned for dinner. The cocktails are good. I went with a signature cocktail, the Boston Collins, which was refreshing. For dinner I had the leg of lamb which was cooked perfectly. Our waitress was very friendly and engaging, without being too much. I've only been on the weekend which seemed quiet, but I imagine this place has a lively happy hour. While not a beer drinker, I noticed the number of on tap beers was impressive. The restaurant look hip, but classic downtown. I look forward to going back and trying other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gilt City BrunchkmacDined on 9/28/2014My girlfriend and I checked this place out because of a Gilt City offer and loved it. It's in the middle of the financial district so I can imagine it's pretty packed during the week but it was quiet for us on a Sunday. The food was great an the space was very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Had to wait 45 minutes for lunch. Apparently our order was "stolen". Good part is they didn't charge me for my burger.Special Features:
- Expensive!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Food is very good but slightly overpriced for the quality and amount of food you get. Then again, it is in the financial district I guess suppose it makes sense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Merchant - Great Fit in DTXcageyleftyVIPDined on 9/16/2014Downtown Crossing has a very good new restaurant in The Merchant. Could use a few more menu options but that may come with time. Had a nice Croquet Madame and my guest had a quality salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snowy30Dined on 9/11/2014The only negative was that the the cushion bench (high table on the bar side) was short so that you felt like you were leaning forward for the entire time.
- It was nuts!FirsttimersDined on 9/7/2014The restaurant had 1-hr wait times both Sat. & Sun. We booked thru Open Table. We approached the 3 greeters who reacted completely inconvenienced by our checking in. Apparently, they never "recorded" our actual name upon check-in & couldn't locate our reservation after waiting for 15 mins. But I did get a lovely email from Open Table the next day saying we never checked-in...annoying!Our server was wicked busy. Be sure to order appetizers when they take your drink order cuz they won't be back for 15+mins. The wedge salad was nothing special. Chicken fried chicken and burger were excellent though. The table next to us never received their apps prior to their entrees, & only received them after inquiring.Special Features:
- Overall - not a good experiencemd22Dined on 9/5/2014Service was terrible - waited over ten minutes before anyone came over. Tuna sashimi was not good. Did appreciate waiter getting us a dish on the late night menu when they weren't serving it yet. Oysters were delicious and the only highlight.Special Features:
- 2nd time aroundJennTarantoDined on 9/4/2014My first experience at the Merchant was stellar. Great food, great company and great service. This most recent time all else was the same except the service. The waiter seemed lost, as if he didn't know what came next. I asked him for one more minute before ordering since one of our party wasn't ready yet and he came back in 15 minutes. Our drinks were never replenished and we were never asked if we wanted more drinks throughout the entire meal. At the end of the meal we were never offered dessert menus - I had to ask for them. At the end I had to wave him down to get the bill. It's amazing how much the service affects the dining experience. If that had been my first time I might not ever go back again...Special Features:
- RoseDined on 9/4/2014I have been several times for lunch. Service was very slow. In a business environment a restaurant needs to get diners in and out in an hour.Special Features:
- great beer, loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Great downtown crossing location, excellent bar and beer selection. Food is solid if a somewhat limited menu. biggest downside is noise the acoustics are bad enough that it is hard to have a conversation. hopefully they add some sound damping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Merchant Sold UsSuburbanFoodieDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I went to The Merchant for Dine Out Boston. I specifically picked it for location and the interest of their DOB menu, which was online. We were quite pleased with the quality of the food. As they had two picks for each course (three for the main), we had every dish on the menu except one main. We liked them all - they were creative and quite tasty. Service was adequate although a bit inconsistent even though all the different servers were nice and friendly. The noise level was fairly loud for a half-full restaurant - they need more sound-absorbing panels on the walls and ceiling. I would go there again and try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpassed expectationsMoogooDined on 8/22/2014I expected yet another "bistro" style restaurant - 20th century Parisian flair meets upscale-yet-casual dining - but The Merchant outperformed. Bar: the trendy Fernet & Coke (oddly & inaccurately called Chupacabra here) was simple & delicious with sugar-cane Coke, & my partner was excited to find Portland's Widmer on tap - a hard find in Boston. Space is vibrant & beautiful with just attentive enough staff. Presence of flat-screen TVs was disappointing. Loved the indie pop music, although high base made the music sound "oontz oontz". Dining area: mostly empty after 9 & not as attractive as the bar. Food was solid; nothing outstanding but still quite good. Our waiter was perfect - likable, very accommodating, & didn't over check in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Absolutely terrible service. The food was good but nothing special.
- Great service with great drinksBashDined on 8/8/2014Our wait staff was fantastic. The heart of the dishes was superb, but the sides tasted like they were soaked in butter. The cocktails were good, but the overall bill was overpriced for what I'd expect to get if we were to go to a comparable restaurant in Cambridge.Special Features:
- The Merchant of BostoncageyleftyVIPDined on 8/7/2014is very generous in their service, their quality, and their ambiance. Very nice addition to the Downtown Crossing area, which is becoming a hot spot for local restaurants. Service was terrific and attentive, food was first rate. Only suggestion is a few more options on the menu would be good, but that'll come hopefully.Special Features:
- Great chef, hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014A great meal and relaxing spot. We were staying at The Ames near Old State House. The Merchant was a wonderful local alternative to the Long Wharf tourist spots. Best burger I have ever had. Returned for dinner another day. Price in line for good quality menu and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loud for meMrBillVIPDined on 7/31/2014Noise level was deafening. Food was ok not bad not great but ok. I will say the fish I ordered was fresh but the preparation and overcooking took away from the final product. Service was very attentive so although that was a bonus it cannot overcome the noise and just ok food. My hunch is that if I had complained they would have done anything to make it right but sometimes it just is not worth it.Special Features:
- Improving...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/30/2014I went on their opening day several months ago. My guest and I would have rated the food as fair at that time. Each visit the food improves. When busy the place is noisy. If you are in the area and looking for something quick and casual, give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 62 reviews are from the The Merchant reviews archive.
- Fantastic BrunchhockiemackVIPDined on 7/20/2014I had a gilt city deal to try weekend brunch. Given location, this place is probably bustling during the work week but unfortunately dead on the weekends. Too bad for those who miss out on brunch. My croque madame was amazing. Perfect amount of salt, big sandwich. The big breakfast includes some of the best sausage I've had! Bloody Marys with bacon infused vodka... I died. Our server was awesome. He perfected our bloody's.Special Features:
- The Merchant: A Reviewreviewer7Dined on 7/19/2014About four months ago, we met a couple of friends here for a few late-night drinks on a Saturday. The cocktails were solid and they had a distinguished beer selection. However, the place was kind of empty. This was unfortunate because the space inside is great. Last week, we decided to try The Merchant again, this time for some dinner. Again, the drinks were solid and beer list comprehensive. Even more, the food was delicious. However, we were sad to see the space still so empty for a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Great all around!setdineDined on 7/18/2014Went here using a Gilt City voucher. Had the tuna sashimi for an appetizer-very very good! I got the dayboat halibut for dinner and my boyfriend got the scallops--both very good! We also got cocktails... can't remember the name but again very good! Would definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.