6600 West Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themercantilela.com/
- Phone: 3239628202
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Mercantile
The Mercantile is a wine bar and cheese place serving dinner nightly, weekday lunch and weekend brunch. We offer a wonderful selection of wines, cheese, charcuterie, fresh salads, entrees, small plates, sandwiches and gelato. We also have a full bar and cocktail list. You'll be happy discovering this country French gem in the middle of Hollywood. We have a free parking lot for customers and an outdoor patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Mercantile reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- iball20Dined on 6/23/2014Ambience and food very good. Best grilled cheese ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/19/2014I don't understand why I am spending so much money on mediocre food if you are going to serve it to me in bowls with chips in it. This has happened twice during my dining experience.Special Features:
- The following 40 reviews are from the The Mercantile reviews archive.
- Tapas Bar a la FrancaiseCMGstatDined on 3/8/2014This is an excellent wine bar. The menu is simple, mostly comfort food but very delicious. It is like a tapas bar a la Francaise. The waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful on making good suggestions from the long list of cheese and meats they have available. Service was prompt. You can take your time and relax because it is a layback atmosphere and no one is pushing you out.Special Features:
- Worth a 2nd visitSideburnsDined on 3/8/2014Reserved a table for 8-10 people in West Hollywood, something very few LA placers will do even at 5pm on a Saturday. Members of the group were driving in from all over SoCal and the staff accommodated them as they arrived getting drinks and food as needed. Great service and atmosphere. You must order the charcuterie platter. Our experience was so good we came back 4 hours later for desert and coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodLauraDined on 3/2/2014I loved that there were 2 vegan soup choices. The grilled cheese was amazing and delicious with the jalapeño pepper. couscous stew with Kale really good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014This place has a very cool vibe and it was a great place for a date! Food is great and service was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotMarpheeDined on 2/14/2014was able to get a reservation for a part of 10 on Valentine's Day. Great little neighborhood gem in the amidst the craziness of Hollywood.Special Features:
- Nice happy hour spotKasey29Dined on 2/13/2014I checked out The Mercantile and got to take advantage of their Happy Hour. I tried the red wine (one variety at the $6 happy hour price), Fried Brussels, mini Grilled Cheese, Tomatillo BLT, and Salmon Crostini. A friend and I then split the Pan-Roasted Chicken. Highlights for me were the Tomatillo BLT (great flavor without the typical grease) and the Salmon Crostini. The crostini tasted fresh and was nicely seasoned. The chicken was a bit on the salty side, but it was a simple dish with a few potatoes and mushrooms. The service was fantastic and while it started to fill up as we were leaving, I would say it is a good location for a mellow happy hour before a night out in Hollywood. Oh, and they have a free parking lot. Score!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find5thElementDined on 2/11/2014The Mercantile was a good find...but you may get lost finding it. It has parking, which is great, but when I left the parking I thought it was the first restaurant to the right...it wasn't. Both restaurants for which the parking is look alike and the signage isn't obvious at first, so watch out for that. Well, it was running a bit late on my way somewhere else so I only had their gelato, delicious. I definitely have to go back to try their food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasureSeriousAppetiteDined on 12/8/2013I really loved the time i spent at The Mercantile. It was an amazing meal and fantastic service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless champagne was nice..awesomeVIPDined on 8/18/2013Bottomless champagne was nice.. But just eat inside b/c champagne & exhaust frm passing cars just don't mixI would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2013My friends and I really enjoyed our evening here! Great happy hour with $1 oysters! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a shame!SarahHoppityDined on 8/11/2013Having been reviewed as one of the top 10 restaurants in LA we went and had brunch. To say their eggs benedict with pinto noir hollandaise was disappointing is an understatement (supposedly their signature dish for brunch), although the egg was cooked well it was served on a soggy muffin, probably because of the thin rather nasty looking pinot noir sauce.... not really a hollandaise with wine in it at all, more like a rather thin red wine coloured gravy!
- Noisy but FunLosFelizMomDined on 7/25/2013Had a table right on Sunset Blvd. It was fun, menu is limited, good for cocktails and appetizers.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseSatisfiedDined on 6/8/2013Got info about the place on the internet and it sounded good and was in the area we were going to be in. Not sure how things were going to be when we finally arrived. Very unique, had a great waitess and service. Wine and drinks were great ans the food was very good. Our group really had a good time and we will def be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this little spotsamsaraDined on 5/11/2013Our food was delicious and we really enjoyed the decor, ambience, and service. We were drooling over the gelato display, but said no because we filled up on so much good stuff. Three of us shared 5 items from the salads, cheese and charcuterie, and oysters. We were there at about 7:30 on a Saturday, so it was pretty quiet, not sure if it gets loud and crowded. Great for before or after a movie at Arclight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun place. On Cinco de MayoBillDined on 5/5/2013A fun place. On Cinco de Mayo we did brunch with another couple and had a great time. DJ set up next to us and explained what she was going to do and let us know it could be a bit noisy for us (we are all north of 65 years old) but the music turned out to be pleasant and not too loud. Bar and tables started to fill up with a younger crowd as morning turned to afternoon. Esoteric drinks were very good and food service and quality was very good. Great waitress.Special Features:
- Interesting menu, excellenttintedvioletDined on 4/20/2013Interesting menu, excellent food. Small dining room. Service very good overall, but a little leisurely - maybe on purpose to allow enjoyment of wine? It is nice not to feel rushed. Great experience.Special Features:
- I love this place. It's gotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2013I love this place. It's got an "old world" wine bar feel. Cheese plates are great and there is a cold trout plate that is heavenly.Special Features:
- the bartenders were lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2013the bartenders were lovely and accomodating thanks for having us
- Good Drinks, Horrible Brunch FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013I went here for brunch based on an online recommendation. I ordered "The Mexican" for my brunch drink-it was an interesting take on a bloody mary and I really enjoyed the drink. I would want to try out the other drinks in the future. However, the food I ordered was very bad, and I was disappointed. I ordered the basic breakfast (eggs,bacon,toast, and potatoes). The serving size was very small, the bacon was dry and unpleasant to eat, the bread was dry and without any butter or jelly, and the potatoes were ok. There was no original flavoring to any of the breakfast components. I could have made a much better breakfast at home, and I was upset that I had to pay so much for this very disappointing breakfast. I would not go back here for food.
- The Mercantile is my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013The Mercantile is my favorite place to eat. Perfect for date night, girl's night, or just a great glass of wine to sip over a good book. The food is fresh and unique and the staff are very knowledgable. I definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- i love this place. been wantingcamjamDined on 2/3/2013i love this place. been wanting to visit since it opened but never had a chance. glad i made it.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/27/2013Service was great ... food was great and the DJ played very good music. Wonderful Sunday brunchSpecial Features:
- Delicious fresh food and amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/25/2013Delicious fresh food and amazing charcuterie. Also a really great patty melt!Special Features:
- Good meal at the Mercantile.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/12/2013Good meal at the Mercantile. Service was good and atmosphere was good. Nice place
- Great menu and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2012Had a great time and the grilled cheese an wine was something we couldn't stop talking aboutSpecial Features:
- Grace (who I'm assuming wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/5/2012Grace (who I'm assuming was the manager?) was AMAZING!! She was so attentive to our birthday party group the entire time. She knew everything about the menu, recommended wines, made sure we were taken care of completely. The food was phenomenal. I've been there several times but this time Grace made all the difference. I highly recommend The Mercantile.Special Features:
- This was our first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/1/2012This was our first time here and we loved it. The food was great- good home style cooking, staff very friendly and helpful, and the prices very reasonable. We will definitely he coming back!Special Features:
- Solid spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2012It was a great spot to grab a meal before a show. Restaurant at opening wasn't crowded and we had plenty of time to get to our show. However, the food was slow to arrive and waitstaff had difficulty juggling the many tables. We were only advised on the delay after several tables around us, who arrived after, received their food before us. Food was good. I would go again if in the area.Special Features:
- Try the Croque Madame!BillnBobDined on 11/9/2012Second Visit; The service seemed much better, this visit, less scattered. The Croque Madame was very good and a LOT of food. This place is very convienient, if you are doing something in Hollywood. Easy in, Easy out, Parking lot (free), just off the beaten path enough to be a relaxing pre show/event dinner.Special Features:
- Nice Place, Service LacksBillnBobDined on 10/27/2012They have parking! Free Parking in a lot right next to the restaurant! That is great in this neighborhood. I thought the food was good/very good. I had the Chicken Pot pie, which is really not that, its a bowl of "chicken stew" with a seprate crust on top, nothing else, not even a plate? The Grilled Cheese Sandwiches were yummy. The meat n cheese plate we started with was good, but not very generous. The service was very nice, but scattered and slow. There seemed to be a lot of people working there, just not in the dining room. While we did have a large party, that did not arrive together, we had theatre tickets and needed to be out of there, we made that clear, but they seemed to be in no rush to try and help the situation out.Special Features:
- Great food and the waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012Great food and the waitress provided excellent service. Thanks!Special Features:
- Mercantile c'est bon!Shodo13VIPDined on 10/5/2012Had a great "pre-theatre" meal at The Mercantile. If you can call the Arclight theatre. Great charcuterie plates, excellent soups and salads. All made with love using top-notch ingredients. But the best thing was the serve staff and the homey welcoming feel to this place. Really feels like a little piece of France in Hollywood. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Had theater tickets and TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012Had theater tickets and The Mercantile got us in and out in under an hour. I was amazed. We smiled and were kind to the waitress and she was very friendly back plus she understood our situation. Overall, she was beyond awesome and was on top of her game. The food was tasty and had lots of options on the menu. The atmosphere was like a hip Soho joint. Left feeling happy about it all the way around. Thanks Mencantile! :-Special Features:
- Great Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/5/2012Lovely cheese and charcuterie plates. Nice small appetizer plates. Great service. Ample parking.Special Features:
- Love The MercantileOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012The Mercantile is a fav place for my wife and I and we can't recommend it enough. We are always bringing new people there to introduce them to this terrific find.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/16/2012Great atmosphere, friendly service and people. Good menu. Can't go wrong! I love the brunch menu on the weekends too.Special Features:
- Overall, meh. Ordered meat/cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2012Overall, meh. Ordered meat/cheese board. Very, very ordinary cheeses -- I could buy them at the grocery store. Told the waiter we were in a rush due to trying to catch a show but still took 20 minutes to get our food. Not quite sure why as the place was not busy at all. Looked at my bill after we ran out of there and meat/cheese board was supposed to be $3 off due to happy hour, but apparently, we were not happy enough.
- My only complaint is thatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2012My only complaint is that it was WAY too warm inside the restaurant. It was a hot day already, but by 8pm I hoped it would be cool inside and it was not - I was sweating the entire time and we finally asked to be moved outside. Other than that, the food was great, our server was great, and I would recommend this restaurant to others.