The Melting Pot - San Mateo
2 N B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - San Mateo
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/san-mateo/specials
- Phone: 6503426358
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Thursday - Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm; Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm Lunch is available for private parties and events. Please call the restaurant for lunch inquiries.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The San Mateo Melting Pot offers the best in casual to elegant dining. Holiday and corporate parties are what we are passionate about. Please give us the opportunity to show you the great things we doing for our guests and the memories we are creating.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Sanchez, firstname.lastname@example.org 6503426358
A word from The Melting Pot - San Mateo
The Melting Pot is located in the San Mateo CalTrain Transit Center in San Mateo, CA. The Melting Pot offers an extraordinary dining experience that you won't find at any other restaurant. Here you'll discover all the ingredients to a perfect evening, including a relaxed atmosphere, private tables, attentive service, fine wines & fabulous four-course fondue dinners. No matter what the occasion, from a romantic date to a get-together with friends, meetings or large groups, The Melting Pot always hits the spot. The Melting Pot offers the highest quality fresh ingredients, a variety of cooking styles, unique sauces & your favorite chocolate fondue. To highlight your meal we also offer a wide variety of wines to compliment your meal. Make reservations today & come dip into something different.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Melting Pot - San Mateo - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
The Melting Pot - San Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (80)romantic (75)fit for foodies (38)good for groups (32)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (11)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Best Fondue by FarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014If you want to Fondue, the Melting Pot is the best place. Way better than any others. Too bad it's so popular on the East coast where I'm from but never has seemed to catch on over here on the Left coast. Oh well....At least there is this one in San Mateo & it's worth the drive!!Special Features:
- Group eventJenniferDined on 9/9/2014Came here for a a corporate event. The experience was overall very good, but I was a little disappointed by the lack of professionalism in the staff. Don't get me wrong -- they tried to be as helpful as they could and were very nice, but they didn't seem accustomed to servicing large groups (we came in a group of 12) and our dining experience lasted from 7PM to 11PM. I specifically asked them how long it would take for salads and entrees to be prepared, and they seemed to portray it as pretty fast. I'm pretty sure we waited for almost 40 minutes between our salad and entrees--they don't cook the food, so I didn't understand the wait. Also, they incorrectly overcharged us by $40.Special Features:
- Good Diningjlu2006Dined on 9/7/2014Bought a groupon here for my boyfriend's birthday. I'm not in love with the food mainly because I'm not a fan of cheese so the rating I gave is based off of my own personal tastes, the food itself isn't bad. The ambiance and setting is very nice, great for couples. The menu was definitely smaller and had limited choices when you use the groupon. The 3 course meal does not include the dessert and if you want a different soup base, it costs you extra. The salad was my favorite part (portobello mushrooms, bacon, spinach + vinaigrette). If you haven't tried fondue before, I suggest the groupon deal in terms of experience. If you're like me and only like the dessert fondue version, eat somewhere else and then come to this place.Special Features:
- Our server saved this dinnerGypsykDined on 9/6/2014Our salads were forgotten. An off-the-wall unprofessional manager told us the drinks we ordered we're not going to be good. The butter we received for our lobster tails... Well one was melted butter, the other looked like jello... Thank goodness for our waitress Jenna. She's the best thing this place has going for them. She was witty, fun, & suggested some great things for us to try! The Wisconsin trio is something you have to order while there! Skip the premium sides for the cheese... The meats don't taste good in the cheese anyway. The tiki girl was amazing too! It might be limited addition but a very good cocktail. My boyfriend also enjoyed the sophisticated sailor.Special Features:
- Fun Food ExperienceB4eatingDined on 9/5/2014I knew the fondue dipping would be fun, but was unexpectedly surprised how delicious the food tasted. There were numerous selections for each course; cheese, salad, entrees, desserts. The menu was a bit overwhelming initially, but the server kindly walked us through the process and had wonderful suggestions on how to choose our special meal. I was concerned there would be way too much food, but again with our server's professional insight, we had just the right amount. The ambiance was nice and quiet, except when the train passed (practically in the restaurant), but at least the train is fast. The entire experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small bland food portionGoodGraceDined on 9/4/2014Technically we spent about $170 with the Groupon for a meal worth $243 for two people. This amount of money can buy most couples a five star meal from a Michelin star restaurant in the Bay Area. However instead we paid for a mediocre flavorless meal. They give you a seasoning salt, I suspect to add some salt to an otherwise under seasoned selection of meat, chicken, & prawns. There was a total of 18 bites for two people. The spinach dip fondue was also bland & the bacon overpowered the dish. The only tasty item was their bottled dressings used on the salads. Even their chocolate fondue left a lot to be desired. They charge $10+ for a liquor beverage and they are about 3-4 ounces each. Not well made I will add. I don't recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great butHungryDined on 9/2/2014The first course was good, the second course was great but the 3rd course was a joke. Benihana's gives more of the main course. For the amount of money spent, I believe they could serve more of the main course.
- Save your money.pickypickyDined on 8/31/2014Waitress was friendly but spacey, forgetting things we had asked for and conversations we had just had. Music was loud and awful. The upstairs room we were in was awkward and had zero ventilation, which made for an odd smell as couples were cooking varieties of cheese, meats, seafood and chocolate. Everything was overpriced, and food quality was average. We left overly full and very disappointed.
- SolidOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014The food was on par with normal, but our server was great and helpful, especially with a different server forgot to flambe our dessert (she promptly removed the charge).Special Features:
- Anothwer great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014I'm a huge Melting Pot fan. This was one of my best experiences. I recommend asking for Paradis as your serverSpecial Features:
- Paying for the experienceLive2Eat2LiveDined on 8/23/2014A little pricey considering you're cooking your own food. I guess you're paying for the experience though.Special Features:
- Poor serviceSamKDined on 8/14/2014Service was poor. The waiter disappeared and had to wait over 30 mins just for him to show-up.Special Features:
- Fun dining experienceestebangtzDined on 8/9/2014We went to the Melting Pot from San Mateo CA to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary, we were late to our reservation due parking in the area, eventually we found underground parking at the San Mateo Caltrain station which was very convenient since the restaurant is located very close to the platform (yeah, you can hear the trains sometimes but is not an annoyance). Food was good, serving sizes acceptable but still little price for the quality of the food, avoid choosing a +4 items course, choosing seafood and fillet is a better option than a mix of poultry, seafood and meat. If you are not familiar with fondue you might want to consider going to a place where you don't have to cook the food or waiting a long time.Special Features:
- left hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Not enough food, left hungry. Lacking vegetables and potatoes (3 quartered pieces of potato for 6 people)???
- Not worth the priceSmfoodloverVIPDined on 8/7/2014I'm cooking my own meats, we're eating cheese and bread. It still takes 3+ hrs??? This place needs to get over it's old idea of being a "romantic" place to eat. It's not, it has no ambiance whatsoever. Cheese is good, but even the bread isn't special. It's a 3 star ehhh at best.... We won't be back, plenty if other places that offer fondue ad it's better.
- Not the best experiencekatie56431Dined on 8/6/2014Bottle of cab was extremely warm. Waiters solution was a wine chiller which didn't help much. Croutons were soggy (dressing ordered on the side). Spinach and cheese fondue was tasty. Pieces of bread provides we're mostly very stale and only a small amount of veggies were provided. After dinner port was also very warm. I took one sip and didn't want anymore. Not sure if it was a fluke day there or not but I will probably not return that location.Special Features:
- Poor servicebustarhymesDined on 8/3/2014We were seated in the upstairs in a corner of the restaurant. We felt ignored by the waiter. We tried to tell the waiter that we were in a rush, but waited a very long time for food to come out. We had to skip dessert because it was taking so long.
- Great Romantic Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014My gf and I are celebrating Chinese Valentine's Day there on a Saturday. The couple seats were cozy and romantic more than I expected. The melting pot fodue concept was unique and my first experience. You spend a little more for the food, service and atmosphere and it is worthwhile to me.Special Features:
- FondueBethRNorCalVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is a good spot if you want fondue.. The main course is almost not required -- we always think we should just get the cheese and chocolate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014Great service. Next to the cal train station. Romantic but you do smell food after dinner..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Melting PotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014We were here for my brothers 17th birthday, there was 5 of us and the service was really slow. people who had came in after us where serviced before us. Our waiter was good and helpful regarding the food. The cheese fondue and the dessert Fondue was AMAZING but the whole cook your own entrée was a little...well if I wanted to cook my own meal I would have stayed home, sorry guys I hadn't been here before and those that recommended it did not advise me of the cook your own rule... otherwise overall 3.5 stars may go by for some cheese fondue and dessert and figure something else out regarding entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced & Under-whelmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014The dinner was a treat for my daughter who loves fondue. The hostesses were very courteous. We were sat at a table next to the kitchen service door. We order two 4-course dinner with a flight of wine to share. The server explained very briefly and spoke very fast. Service time was good but food were very salty and over seasoned which made all the ingredients, i.e., beef, pork, chicken, seafood, etc. tasted almost the same. The server completed missed the timing of serving our wine. The dinner averaged to over $70 per person which in my opinion did not worth the mediocre service and below average food quality. Unless you really want to try fondue & don't mind paying a lot, I would not recommend The Melting Pot.
- Did not meet expectationsfakemoomooDined on 7/27/2014This place may be good for happy hour after work while waiting to catch the train home, but it wasn't anything special...basically glorified hot pot. The service is great, don't get me wrong. The manager came out to greet us and ask about how our food was twice throughout the experience. Our waitress was attentive and carefully explained everything so we knew what to expect. Food came out in a timely manner and was good. However, it's just not my cup of tea. I was expecting fancy food, but it wasn't that great. I felt like I was eating samplers instead of meals. Shrimp was a little fishy to me, and the food was just bland, despite the broth we cooked it in. Meh, nice to try once I guess, but I won't be coming back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Great food and service. You can not ask for anything more. I can not wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melting Pot experiencefondue44Dined on 7/25/2014I went to the melting pot for my birthday a few days ago and my friends and I loved it. All the waiters and waitresses are very outgoing and friendly. The food is absolutely delicious. I recommend getting the 4 course experience because all the food tastes so good! Just a warning, your visit there may take 2.5 hours like mine but it's well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live2EatVIPDined on 7/22/2014You can never go wrong with the spinach and artichoke dip appetizer. Of course, dessert is good no matter what you get as well, I mean I don't usually like chocolate but I do like dipping items in it for dessert! The main course was decent. I must give credit to our waiter. He had us (my wife, 2 y/o daughter and me), an energetic table with young kids and was the manager. The other table was quite loud with hyper kids under 5 and I think he handled this and the distractions quite well. He made some very small mistakes with our order because of being distracted but he was attentive to getting them fixed. I would go back but only for a special occasion because of the price for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another memorable eveningluv2fondueDined on 7/19/2014We count on the Melting Pot to provide great food and service. It is our go to spot for special occasions. We just celebrated a close friends 60th birthday and once again were not disappointed. Fondue is such a great way to enjoy a relaxing dinner with friends and family. The melting pot does fondue better than any restaurant. Thanks again for another memorable evening.Special Features:
- Special NightRaymondDined on 7/17/2014Always a great place for a special night out. Service from walking in to the end was top notch. Food was presented with nice serving suggestions, service all around was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I came here for dinner for my birthday. It was AMAZING!. Food and service AMAZINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!SpencerDined on 7/12/2014My companion had never had fondue, and this was an amazing experience and introduction to a delicious world for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected better!PeteRoachDined on 7/5/2014This was an OK experience. Food was not mind-blowing. I feel like they are just capitalizing on the novelty of fondue. My wife and I ordered the 4-course since it would have ended up being the same price as the 3-course. We both felt it was overpriced for too much food. The best part was the dessert, but if I never had the cheese or entree fondue again in my life, I wouldn't really be upset about it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2014Wonderful selection on the menu. I like that you can just go for cheese fondue or do a extravagant dinner. Thank you for a lovely birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $300 for $20 worth of food?JoyFishDined on 7/3/2014First, the place is fun. Take the kids once a year for dad's birthday and they have a great time...however, for regular dining, really not worth what you get...our bill was almost $300 when you add tip (2 adults, 4 kids), and it amounted to a hunk of cheese, a slice of bread, apple, salad, 1 steak, few shrimp and a chocolate bar with Rice Krispie squares and some marshmallows! I bet the whole meal for 6 people didn't cost $20... So, good to go for a change but expect to pay a LOT for a little novelty!Special Features:
- Another great meal!Yaya583Dined on 7/2/2014Went with friend a for ladies night. There wasn't much going in for ladies night, but I had a lot if fun and great food with me friends. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st Birthday for the BoyfriendcodePrincess2015Dined on 7/2/2014I always kept an eye on this place, but I did not want to spend a lot of money for just a dinner out. So I decided to treat my boyfriend of 2 years here for his 21st birthday. We did the 4 course meal and took 3 nice long hours to enjoy our meal. Will definitely come here again for another special occasion in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melting Pot-Your Place For FondueluvthisplaceDined on 6/28/2014My family had the best experience with fondue for the first time. Great food, wine pairing and professional attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dining with friendsTheaterCrowdDined on 6/26/2014I was thoroughly pleased with the variety and the amount of food we had. The cheese fondue was very yummy. The main courses were very large with lots of choices. The deserts were the topper. The service staff was extremely friendly and attentive. Great food. Great service. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Girls Night OutAngeliqueDined on 6/21/2014We went here for my sister's birthday and when she opened the menu there was a Happy Birthday card that all there servers signed. The food was great and my sister was blown away on how much time we were there when she checked her phone. It is intamate, the lighting is dimmed and the noise is quiet as well. Its a tradition with my solider to come here and I knew it'd be a great place to take my sister for time of bonding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic ExperienceHungryPanda707Dined on 6/17/2014The food was delicious and the dessert fondue was divine. Secluded booth for two to really up the romance. Excellent service but don't arrive starving! There are smaller bites for more making out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious evening outMakellanDined on 6/17/2014Fondue is a great experience. Whether you're quietly with your favorite person or energetically with a larger group, the food and setting will help. The servers are all great and willing to help you out and go the extra mile.Special Features: