The Melting Pot - Newport News
12233 Jefferson Avenue #3
Newport News, VA 23602Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - Newport News
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/newport-news/specials
- Phone: (757) 369-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View
- Private Party Facilities: Large party room seats 32-34 people. Small party room seats 12-14 people. Credit card is required to hold reservation. Preset party menu is also required.
- Private Party Contact: Donavan Manning 7573699500
A word from The Melting Pot - Newport News
The Melting Pot offers an extraordinary dining experience that you won’t find at any other restaurant. Here you'll discover all of the ingredients to a perfect evening, including a relaxed atmosphere, private tables, attentive service, fine wines and fabulous four-course fondue dinners. No matter what the occasion from a romantic date to get-togethers with friends, meetings or large groups, The Melting Pot is certain to please. Make reservations today and come dip into something different.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Melting Pot - Newport News - Best Restaurants in Newport News ›
The Melting Pot - Newport News reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (100)romantic (91)notable wine list (38)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (26)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (7)neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- 6 states and countingfaithbygraceDined on 11/15/2014I am comparing Melting Pots to my first MP experience in Nashville, TN and so far Nashville was much better than St Louis, MO, Syracuse, NY, Newport News, VA, Texas and Columbia SC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Food was fresh and delicious. Very romantic. Is good for special occasions. Was awesome and need to have someone you can carry a good conversation with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow. . .paralotnikVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was fairly good, as always. But we had a reservation and had to wait 34 minutes to be seated. In addition, the service was extremely slow. I will not be returning.
- Terrible service.Irishcharm1229Dined on 11/1/2014The food was delicious but the service was terrible! Our waiter spoke so low we could barely hear him. Anything we asked for took a long time to be brought to us. At one point my husbands glass was empty for 19 minutes! And that was after it had been long enough that I decided to time it so really much longer. We asked for extra sauces and it took so long to arrive we no longer needed it. Such a disappointing experience for us this time. I asked To speak to a manager and was told there wasn't one. I planned on asking the hostesses again but the 3 of them were busy talking about how they were ready to leave so I didn't bother, we just left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLELODined on 10/31/2014Unfortunately, we will probably not be back for a while. We have had several excellent experiences there, but this was not good. Four hosts waited at the door, but we were barely acknowledged. We stood there for several minutes before they would take us to the table after a snide, "Well if YOU'RE ready." We'd been waiting...we were ready. Server lacked a great deal of personality, did not know a lot about the menu, seemed annoyed she had to work. The light bulb was burned out over our table (talk about dark dining!) and the fixture was COVERED in dust. Details make a difference. You all did not have the pumpkin dessert as advertised on YOUR menu online. Food, as always, was great, and Josh's nice and engaging personality was one positive.Special Features:
- great anniversary dinnerjcakDined on 10/29/2014Had a great time. Food was amazing and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Celebration Place!leybigjoDined on 10/26/2014Great location, quiet setting, good food and Great Service. We enjoyed dinner for our Son's 9th birthday. He loved it and enjoyed the ability to cook his own meal! Thank you for a great night!Special Features:
- Too pricey for cooking my own foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014The pricing scheme was very confusing. It was like they wanted the bill to be a surprise because I couldn't figure out the pricing per course. And once I did, it was extremely expensive. Way too expensive to be given a plate of raw meat and told to cook it myself. We paid $106 NOT including gratuity for a family of 4 (one person was a toddler). Ridiculous. We won't be going back.Special Features:
- great except 1 thingashemtDined on 10/23/2014The whole experience was great. The only problem was when we first arrived we had to wait almost 30 minutes for a table when there was about 15 booths open, and i had a reservation. The food was amazing. Our server Damiano was awesome. He explained everything on the menu and was able to suggest things to try. And i definitely suggest getting the chocolate fontiniSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night outrtreeDined on 10/21/2014We went out for our anniversary. We don't go out very often except to get a quick bite now and then. We had been there many years ago and remembered how nice it was then. Our daughter suggested we go there again so we did. Had a wonderful time. Really enjoyed our waiter and how he explained everything to us and was honest about how things taste. He made recommendations based on what we told him we liked and he was right on target. Dinner was wonderful. We had a reservation for 7:30 and arrived at 7:15. We were taken right in and seated. We took our time eating and really enjoyed ourselves. It was after 9:00 before we left. We will be going there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our 47th aniverseryfasteddieDined on 10/21/2014Had a special time just like the night we were married. Just the two of us but this time someone else did the cookingSpecial Features:
- First visitAmmo747Dined on 10/17/2014Took my wife for our anniversary and we both absolutely loved it!Special Features:
- Not romantic in the slightestanonymousDined on 10/12/2014The Melting Pot has so much potential to be a special occasion restaurant, but I won't be recommending the Newport News location to anyone that I care about. The Melting Pot in Nashville, TN was the reason I wanted to go back for my anniversary with my husband but I was highly disappointed with the Newport News location. Our waitress was great but there was another waitress who was very loud and holding long conversations with other tables very loudly. It was definitely hard to relax and enjoy the moment when we could barely hear each other. The meat was also not the best. I can't see why we would go back and easily spend over one hundred dollars for a Ruby Tuesday's dining experience.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!LovedthemeltingpotDined on 10/12/2014Excellent experience, server was wonderful. Manager came over and greeted us. Two thumbs up!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014It was great. The 4 course option was a great pick. I would go back just because. No special occasion needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve was AWESOMEMistyDined on 10/9/2014We made a reservation and they were able to seat us a little early. Our waiter, Steve, was attentive and efficient throughout our meal and the food was great as usual. He even brought me a candle Ina rice Krispy treat for my birthday. The only complaint I would have is that this restaurant is set up differently from the one we are used to in Fredericksburg with the more traditional seating and we were immediately across from a group and found ourselves either having to be very close to talk, or yelling. That part was a huge disappointment and I could not image it on a special occasion like Mothers Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as alwayskitcat810Dined on 10/8/2014I can always count on the melting pot when I want to dine someplace special (and expensive!). The only small complaint I had was that as the restaurant gift busy, our waitress tended to forget about us, she always came over to apologize but still forgot our drink refills etc.. But all in all good experience as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refused my couponRatch0485Dined on 10/3/2014Had a restaurant.com gift certificate for $25 off The Big Night out (which they no longer offer). Asked the waitress about using our coupon and she took it and said it wouldn't be a problem (we didnt specify anything about coupon). Halfway through our meal she comes back to tell us that the manager will not accept it because we didnt order what was supposed to be ordered, but were never told what to order. The waitress fumbled over her words and didnt give any real kind of explanation, other than we had to have ordered lobster. We ordered what we thought was comparable to The Big Night Out which is now the Four Course Experience (includes cheese, salad, entree and chocolate). Very disappointing experience and will not return.Special Features:
- ServiceHenryDined on 10/1/2014Since it had been a while since we had been to the Melting Pot, we needed some guidance. Our server was friendly, help and enthusiastic. The food was great and he made it even more enjoyable. He was a true advocate for the food and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceMaramp3581Dined on 9/27/2014Our experience at the Melting Pot in Newport News was amazing. The service was impeccable! The food was very delicious and the atmosphere was soft, romantic, but very modern. From beginning to end was just the all around eating experience that you wish you had every time you went out. The restaurant is on the pricey end, but for any special occasion, you cannot go wrong here. Make sure to save room for dessert! It is to diiieeee for!!!. Thank you all for a beautiful and memorable experience! Definitely coming back!Special Features:
- LovefondueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We have been to this location several times and have gotten great food and great service!!!! Will go back again in the near futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant good, yet unprofessionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014Food was good, yet pricey. Server was great but very unprofessional behavior while waiting to be seated. Overheard all the conversation about the personal life of the front greeters staff.Special Features:
- A nice experienceMissyDined on 9/19/2014We visited the Melting Pot in Newport News, and like always, we had an awesome experience. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little on the Dark SideEnthusiasmMeltingDined on 9/13/2014We were seated in a back corner near the emergency exit. It was so dimly lit that we had to hold our menus up under the single overhead light. Our server was pleasant, but almost shy. The traditional Swiss fondue was very good and there was lots to dip. The California salad was OK, but all of the dressing seemed to be on the bottom. The main course included duck, beef, shrimp and pot stickers, which actually were quite delightful. Desert was chocolate fondue , but it was cold. The server should have taken care of that. The wine - horribly overpriced, but a good selection. Lastly, along with intimate dining comes a small table where it is a real challenge to manage the real estate with the many and various serving dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Service was great and the food was amazing. Definitely going again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful change in dining!Gr8dinexpDined on 9/6/2014If you want a change to traditional dining, The Melting Pot is a great experience. We were able to take our time eating and socializing. Our waitress was very pleasant and explained everything to us as this was our first time. The beverage selection was excellent - something for everyone's taste. The booths are great for 2 people to sit at, but 4 people was a little too crowded. Next time I'll get a larger table for 4. I recommend The Melting Pot for a non-traditional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointeddisappointedDined on 8/30/2014my son brought me a father's day gift, a celebration for two here at the melting pot. it was impossible to get a reservation until the coupon had expired with groupon. As a result the celebration for two turned into us having to pay 100. Of course this did not make our evening. so, I was kind of seething the whole evening thinking what a scam.Special Features:
- Will never returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014When dining at a restaurant with a reputation of excellence, you expect a professional level of service, and the service we received I would expect at McDonald's. I was so disappointed that I don't expect to ever return.
- Food good, but that's about it.DrewDined on 8/29/2014I was promised a telephone call from the staff at this restaurant in reference to the Groupon that I had purchased. I never received the call and when I came in after making a reservation, they would not honor the Groupon. Everything was constantly being blamed on "the owner" who I have been unable to contact.Special Features:
- Change of PaceFoodMagnetDined on 8/28/2014We decided to go to Melting Pot for a different dinner experience. It lived up to our expectations. The food was very good and the service was excellent--we had a great time.Special Features:
- a nice place to celebrateetphonehomeDined on 8/27/2014great staff that really knows their trade. we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance package at Melting PotJuliafanVIPDined on 8/26/2014Our first time at this restaurant was fun. The teriyaki steak was the best of the six things we tried and the flaming turtle, while no longer flaming, was delicious. Dinner is leisurely: expect to spend two hours if you get all four courses. The price was a little expensive for the quantity of food but it was more about the experience. I was pleasantly surprised that our waitress took our picture and then they printed it out and framed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceDeblouDined on 8/26/2014Our First time for dinner, We enjoyed everything. The presentation of the meal was awesome, Our waiter was amazing, He walked us through the whole experience, and he was so professional. We loved everything about the evening, We were celebrating our Anniversary, and they brought us a plate with Happy Anniversary written out in chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melting PotLoveAdealDined on 8/23/2014Very nice experience. Server and food were great. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make your reservations earlytheservermakesthemealDined on 8/23/2014Make your reservations EARLY. They are often booked up well in advance so when you have an idea when you want to go, make your reservations or you may miss out. Restaurant is dinner only so easiest way to maks reservations is through OpenTable website. No one answers the phone at the restaurant until mid afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!MomMomof6Dined on 8/22/2014We had heard about The Melting Pot but had never eaten there. We had a Groupon which gave us some anxiety after reading other reviews. However, the staff was attentive, polite, fun and knowledgeable. The food was delicious and plentiful. We will enjoy going back!Special Features:
- Good food, great service, all good!Susan128Dined on 8/20/2014This was our first time to visit our local Melting Pot and we were not disappointed! We did have the Romance Groupon which gave us extra benefits such as a dozen pretty roses at our table (and to keep!), framed photo of us to keep, and a $25 gift certificate to use in the future. The good was fresh and well presented. It was all yummy from the cheese course to the salad to the meat and and dessert! My only complaint was the time between courses- there was a bit of a lag that made for a 2 1/2 hour dinner experience - not bad but we had not planned on that. Loved our server too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We loved to frequent the Newport News Melting Pot but sadly the Groupon disrupted their customer service. They were out of three meat options, two being our favorite. They were out of romaine lettuce, which can be easily picked up at a grocery store. Pur salads looked pitiful with stale iceburg lettuce. Our server rushed us through the whole meal. At one point we had three courses on the table at once, not relaxing! Our server repeatedly told us that the Groupon was "bleeding them dry". Melting Pot is a special evening out and for that amount of money we will not be returning. We would like to compliment the busser, Matt, who was the most professional of all and would make a fabulous server! He truly was the only highlight of our experience
- Usually have no complaints....LwcolemanDined on 8/19/2014This is one of our favorite spots to dine. We go regularly enough to know that this time, lots of things were not as they should be. First off, right off the bat, she tells us they are out of about 4 of the menu items we were able to choose from (we had a groupon which limited the selections). Then, we get our salads (the California one) and two of the ingredients were missing! The pine nuts and the berries. I confront the waitress and she tells me that they are out of those too!! And then just walks off. My salad only had dressing, tomatoes, and cheese! If I had known, I would not have even ordered that salad with only half the ingredients available. A few other things happened as well, but I'm running out of space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant is not consumer friendlyJnchornDined on 8/19/2014We made our reservation 2 weeks in advance because it was the only dinner time frame available. When we arrived, there were several guests being turned away stating the restaurant was "completely booked" for the next 2 days. We were told to wait in the lobby a while before we could be seated. When we were seated, there were only 2 other parties seated. When we left only 4 other parties were seated with numerous empty booths (at least a dozen). The lobby was packed but the tables were empty. It didn't seem like good business practice. I won't return.Special Features: