The Melting Pot - Newport News
12233 Jefferson Avenue #3
Newport News, VA 23602Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - Newport News
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/newport-news/specials
- Phone: 7573699500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View
- Private Party Facilities: Large party room seats 32-34 people. Small party room seats 12-14 people. Credit card is required to hold reservation. Preset party menu is also required.
- Private Party Contact: Donavan Manning 7573699500
A word from The Melting Pot - Newport News
The Melting Pot offers an extraordinary dining experience that you won’t find at any other restaurant. Here you'll discover all of the ingredients to a perfect evening, including a relaxed atmosphere, private tables, attentive service, fine wines and fabulous four-course fondue dinners. No matter what the occasion from a romantic date to get-togethers with friends, meetings or large groups, The Melting Pot is certain to please. Make reservations today and come dip into something different.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Melting Pot - Newport News - Best Restaurants in Newport News ›
The Melting Pot - Newport News reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (152)romantic (145)notable wine list (54)fit for foodies (36)good for groups (32)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (9)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014my son brought me a father's day gift, a celebration for two here at the melting pot. it was impossible to get a reservation until the coupon had expired with groupon. As a result the celebration for two turned into us having to pay 100. Of course this did not make our evening. so, I was kind of seething the whole evening thinking what a scam.Special Features:
- Will never returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014When dining at a restaurant with a reputation of excellence, you expect a professional level of service, and the service we received I would expect at McDonald's. I was so disappointed that I don't expect to ever return.
- Food good, but that's about it.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014I was promised a telephone call from the staff at this restaurant in reference to the Groupon that I had purchased. I never received the call and when I came in after making a reservation, they would not honor the Groupon. Everything was constantly being blamed on "the owner" who I have been unable to contact.Special Features:
- Change of PaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014We decided to go to Melting Pot for a different dinner experience. It lived up to our expectations. The food was very good and the service was excellent--we had a great time.Special Features:
- a nice place to celebrateetphonehomeDined on 8/27/2014great staff that really knows their trade. we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance package at Melting PotJuliafanVIPDined on 8/26/2014Our first time at this restaurant was fun. The teriyaki steak was the best of the six things we tried and the flaming turtle, while no longer flaming, was delicious. Dinner is leisurely: expect to spend two hours if you get all four courses. The price was a little expensive for the quantity of food but it was more about the experience. I was pleasantly surprised that our waitress took our picture and then they printed it out and framed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceDeblouDined on 8/26/2014Our First time for dinner, We enjoyed everything. The presentation of the meal was awesome, Our waiter was amazing, He walked us through the whole experience, and he was so professional. We loved everything about the evening, We were celebrating our Anniversary, and they brought us a plate with Happy Anniversary written out in chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melting PotLoveAdealDined on 8/23/2014Very nice experience. Server and food were great. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make your reservations earlytheservermakesthemealDined on 8/23/2014Make your reservations EARLY. They are often booked up well in advance so when you have an idea when you want to go, make your reservations or you may miss out. Restaurant is dinner only so easiest way to maks reservations is through OpenTable website. No one answers the phone at the restaurant until mid afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!MomMomof6Dined on 8/22/2014We had heard about The Melting Pot but had never eaten there. We had a Groupon which gave us some anxiety after reading other reviews. However, the staff was attentive, polite, fun and knowledgeable. The food was delicious and plentiful. We will enjoy going back!Special Features:
- Good food, great service, all good!Susan128Dined on 8/20/2014This was our first time to visit our local Melting Pot and we were not disappointed! We did have the Romance Groupon which gave us extra benefits such as a dozen pretty roses at our table (and to keep!), framed photo of us to keep, and a $25 gift certificate to use in the future. The good was fresh and well presented. It was all yummy from the cheese course to the salad to the meat and and dessert! My only complaint was the time between courses- there was a bit of a lag that made for a 2 1/2 hour dinner experience - not bad but we had not planned on that. Loved our server too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We loved to frequent the Newport News Melting Pot but sadly the Groupon disrupted their customer service. They were out of three meat options, two being our favorite. They were out of romaine lettuce, which can be easily picked up at a grocery store. Pur salads looked pitiful with stale iceburg lettuce. Our server rushed us through the whole meal. At one point we had three courses on the table at once, not relaxing! Our server repeatedly told us that the Groupon was "bleeding them dry". Melting Pot is a special evening out and for that amount of money we will not be returning. We would like to compliment the busser, Matt, who was the most professional of all and would make a fabulous server! He truly was the only highlight of our experience
- Usually have no complaints....LwcolemanDined on 8/19/2014This is one of our favorite spots to dine. We go regularly enough to know that this time, lots of things were not as they should be. First off, right off the bat, she tells us they are out of about 4 of the menu items we were able to choose from (we had a groupon which limited the selections). Then, we get our salads (the California one) and two of the ingredients were missing! The pine nuts and the berries. I confront the waitress and she tells me that they are out of those too!! And then just walks off. My salad only had dressing, tomatoes, and cheese! If I had known, I would not have even ordered that salad with only half the ingredients available. A few other things happened as well, but I'm running out of space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant is not consumer friendlyJnchornDined on 8/19/2014We made our reservation 2 weeks in advance because it was the only dinner time frame available. When we arrived, there were several guests being turned away stating the restaurant was "completely booked" for the next 2 days. We were told to wait in the lobby a while before we could be seated. When we were seated, there were only 2 other parties seated. When we left only 4 other parties were seated with numerous empty booths (at least a dozen). The lobby was packed but the tables were empty. It didn't seem like good business practice. I won't return.Special Features:
- Nice placeSusanDined on 8/18/2014The food is fresh and plentiful. There are lots of choices to personalize your fondue experience. The restaurant seemed new and very clean. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different experienceTheDaughterDined on 8/17/2014I enjoyed the night. It was my mother's 1st time, and I enjoyed her amazement and surprise that she had to cook her own food. Lol. She too, enjoyed herself, and even said she may go back. Her old school ways were changed..... just ... a .... tiny .... bit.Special Features:
- DisappointedemanonDined on 8/17/2014We were very disappointed with this location. Trying to get thru on the phone was impossible, I called numerous times to make the reservation and ended up making one online. When I called to confirm the reservation I couldn't get thru, I called 31 time from 430pm until our reservation time at 745pm. All I received is the voicemail for the owner/manager and that mailbox was full so I couldn't even leave a message. The waitress seemed new, she burnt the cheese in the cheese course. Most of the selections we came for were not available because they didn't have them in, like the duck, the pork, the tuna. That was just for the meat course, they were also out of a salad and some chocolate choices. Overall I will not be going back.
- Melting PotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The Melting Pot never disappoints. We had an excellent anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerWilliamDined on 8/16/2014It was a very nice dining experience. It was our first time at the Melting Pot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lisa DknitandeatDined on 8/16/2014We went to the Melting Pot in Newport News because we had purchased a Groupon for that location. Typically, if we go to the Melting Pot, we go to the Virginia Beach location. The ambience in Newport News is not the same as the Virginia Beach location. There is little décor, it is not as intimate of a setting, and seems somewhat crowded. The wait staff was varied. Our waitress was very hurried, here is your dish, bye bye. However, we heard other servers that lingered by the tables, explaining things on the menu and recommending different options. If you are going with a group of friends, Newport News would be fine, as the food was just as good. If you want and intimate romantic setting, I would go to the Virginia Beach location.
- Oh, how the mightly have fallen...CreativeMomDined on 8/15/2014I’ve been to the Melting Pot twice before (once in the late ‘90s and once in 2007) and it was great both of those times. But this time, things went downhill from the moment we entered. The floor all over the bar and leading into the lobby had very obvious dirty/dusty footprints (at 5:15!)… the underside of our table was gummy and gross... our prepubescent waiter barely spoke above a mumbled whisper and seemed to know nothing about the Melting Pot, dining in general, or alcohol... there was a display of three “featured” foods in the lobby, but I tried to order the featured cheese, and then the featured entree, I was told they no longer offered either. My experience was a 2 and it should have been at least a 7 or 8, at this price point.
- Love you cheese and chocolate!Ebnystrr37Dined on 8/14/2014This place is great, and the cheese and chocolate fondu are best. I usually order the four course meal, but honestly could do without the third course. Service is spectacular and I love the vibe. One complaint: TURN THE AC DOWN. It's hard to enjoy my food when I'm freezing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Date NightMicheleLDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful atmosphere and enjoyable dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014This was my first time at the Melting Pot and I am so glad that I went. It was a great experience and good for a date night. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Celebration Dinnerf00dDined on 8/9/2014I have only been to the Melting Pot one other time, and that was when I proposed to my wife. I took her here for a birthday/anniversary celebration, and everything was amazing. The food is some of the best I've ever had. The service is always top notch. 4-course meal is the way to go. Cheese fondue course 1, got the cheddar bourbon bacon. House salad is fantastic for course 2. Course 3 is the main entrees, pick 3 meats and a broth. Course 4 is dessert, so much fun with the chocolate fondue. The food is more on the expensive end ($40-$80 a plate), but you get what you pay for. I was lucky enough to find a groupon. Great food. Great service. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- TrinaDined on 8/9/2014It was a wonderful dining experience . My husband and I went for our anniversary and the atmosphere really fit the occassion. It was our first time eating there and the food was outstanding. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful with his suggestions and his attentiveness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinglovetoeatDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I had a outstanding time. The waitress was very pleasant and friendly. I would go there againSpecial Features:
- Love It Here!FondueFoodieDined on 8/8/2014Had a mother/daughter dinner date and we absolutely loved it. This was my second time at the melting pot and this time was just as great as the last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th Surprisewoodc414Dined on 8/7/2014The restaurant went out of the way to accommodate a party of 10 that at the last minute shrunk to 8. The waitress was very friendly, answered all our questions and split the bill into fourths so we could all pay separately. Highly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencePingDined on 8/4/2014From the time my wife and I walked into The Melting Pot, we felt welcomed and it just got better as the evening went on. The service was excellent, and all courses of the meal were great. Looking forward to going back and highly recommend the experience to all The Melting Pot way of dining out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Awesome!Table4twoDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I were celebrating his birthday and from the moment we walked in the ambience and the hostess were awesome. The food was delicious and to make things even better we had and AWESOME server!! We will definitely be back to this location soon with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat for a soecial occasionUnchainedAdventuresVIPDined on 8/1/2014Always wonderful. Tried a few new things including the cheese fondue with the blue cheese.... Very tasty especially without any onions/scallions/shallots.... Salads ate good and of course the main course with all the different meats.... The broth based fondues are the best at keeping the meats tender... To top it all off you must have chocolate. They will substitute milk/dark/white for any listed chocolate. It's a fun experience and your waiter makes it do much better. Ours was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not enoughhungryDined on 7/31/2014We were told that, "I hope yall are hungry, we will be serving a lot of food." We left hungry and were served meagre amounts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeCharlie2450Dined on 7/31/2014This is not our first trip to the Melting Pot. Every trip is just as good as the other. We always leave there very full. This time we had a Groupon to use. The Groupon did not give us a special price but gave us a $25 gift certificate and a picture which was not great but nice frame. Very nice staff and as always good food.Special Features:
- Wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Our server Erica was friendly, smiled and truly seemed to care about her job as it related to her customers. We had taken our three children and really spoke about how pleasant she was after our dining experience. We even decided for our next visit we will recommend her to serve us.Special Features:
- Fabulous!MrsDDined on 7/29/2014The food is incredible, and dessert is worth it's weight in gold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedFinishedfonduingDined on 7/28/2014Food was great bur service lacked attention. server would disappear then appear to notice she should have been sooner. This happened every course. She apologized after the service the time delaysSpecial Features:
- Good food but way too expensiveanniversaryDined on 7/26/2014I don't go to The Melting Pot often - mainly because I can't afford to. I enjoy the food, but the prices keep going up so much that they have priced me out of the market. There at least used to be a dinner for two for around $50, but that is no longer an option. The server helpfully pointed out that now the portions are split, so each person gets the same amount as the dinner for two, BUT those individual dinners are $40 each, almost doubling the price. I don't know that I'll ever go there again. I can save money by going to Ruth's Chris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad servicewouldluvtodineagainDined on 7/26/2014This was our second time eating here. Our waitress was not attentive. She never brought us the mixed drinks we ordered and when the sodas we had were empty it took her forever to come refill. We barely saw her. We had to get another waiter to let him know we were waiting for our framed picture. When our waitress returned she did not have it and had forgotten all about it, so we had to wait longer. Then our bill was wrong. Id like to get some gift certificate as a way of saying so sorry for your bad service, this way we will come back and refer our friends. You do have my email..make it a third time for us please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeluv2fondueDined on 7/24/2014The food was delicious, and was enjoyed by all in our party. The ambience was wonderful! Our server was attentive, and very nice. Definately will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.