The Melting Pot - La Jolla
8980 University Center Lane
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/san-diego-lajolla/specials
- Phone: (858) 638-1700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar & Front Patio Hours
Saturday 4:00pm- 11:00pm
Sunday 4:00pm- 10:00pm
Happy Hour in the Bar/Lounge:
7 Days a Week 4:30-6:30
Happy Hour in the Bar Only:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, French
- Executive Chef: Armando Lopez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private party room accommodates up to 28 guests. Reservation fees apply. Entire restaurant available for daytime functions. We will staff and serve with complete privacy. Speak with a Manager for details.
- Private Party Contact: Frankie Becker, firstname.lastname@example.org 8586381700x
- Special Events: If you plan to use your Living Social certificate when dining with us please enter your certificate number in the special request window.
A word from The Melting Pot - La Jolla
The Melting Pot Restaurant offers the perfect setting for your dining experience. The Melting Pot's fondue style of dining features the finest four-course meals, fabulous wines, great cheeses, decadent chocolate and a relaxed atmosphere. Our convenient location, unique menu offerings, romantic decor and dedicated staff make dining at the Melting Pot a truly unforgettable experience... Located in the Aventine, across from the Hyatt-La Jolla, and very easy access from the 5 freeway! Check out what the media is saying about us (http://www.sandiegometro.com/2006/may/dining.php)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Melting Pot - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Melting Pot - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (109)romantic (85)good for groups (45)fit for foodies (44)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (13)neighborhood gem (13)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- issues with rsvpOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014I used open table for the first time. RSVP was at 5:30, but sat at 6, so we couldnt make our movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as usualPerfectionDined on 11/11/2014Once again, The Melting Pot did not disappoint. Excellent service you come expect. Food was fantastic. The overall experience was just perfect. This is why The Melting Pot is our choice for anniversary and special occasion dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014First time at a melting pot and the food was excellent and loved the idea of the restaurant. However our service experience was not the best. We made a reservation for 9pm and were seated promptly and given menus but it took our waiter almost 25 minutes to a acknowledge we were there. It was a Saturday night but not extremely busy at 9:00. We waited so long that we ended up skipping the appetizer and ordered our drinks and entree at the same time because we were so hungry. And he only came back to deliver the food/drinks and the bill. Will probably go again hoping for a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting conceptLexieDined on 11/2/2014Celebratory evening with family, which was made even better by dining experience and excellent service at The Melting Pot. Our first visit but I'm sure we will be back to celebrate special occasions from time to time. Lovely place that made the evening even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food was amazing. Our waitress was no nice and funny. I recommend this place to anyone looking to celebrate, or just have girls night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningLunchLadyDined on 11/1/2014We had a really great evening and a lot of fun celebrating our daughters birthday the other night. The staff was so professional and from the hostess to our server, we felt really welcome and cared for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The service was excellent and the food was delicious. It was a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticHappyagainDined on 10/26/2014Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic FantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inconsistent service qualityDisappointedDined on 10/26/2014We've been here 3 times and each time the food is good but the services aren't the same. The first time was ok but the waiter never fully explained the menu, the second time was the best. We were told in detail of what each course was included and the waitress was very pleasant the whole time. The third time was terrible, not only the waiter was short, we were overcharged ( I think on purpose ). Even though I didn't say anything and paid the bill because I didn't want to make a scene, I just took it out of the tips I would have given him and decided to write this review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningDds216Dined on 10/25/2014Wonderful food made even better by romantic setting and fabulous service. Server Leah was very attentive and the manager made rounds as well to welcome guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodYeaheatfoodDined on 10/25/2014Too expensive Light over table kept going on and off Nasty wax material found floating in my sons ice water Not a good place to eat
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014This place was a great place to take a date. I had no issues with the staff. They were very friendly and very knowledgable about the restaurant and the menu. Desert was superb!!Special Features:
- A great experienceJuliatiDined on 10/23/2014I had a great time celebrating my husband's birthday with him and his mother. The food and service were awesome. We will definitely come back for another special celebration.Special Features:
- Perfect for LoverslovefoodDined on 10/22/2014I took my girlfriend here for our anniversary dinner and we had a great experience. We had the lover's booth and were secluded from other patrons, which is exactly what we wanted. With the exception of our wonderful waiter checking in on us, we had all the privacy we needed and a very special and romantic evening. The food was delicious and the chocolate fondue was worth waiting for! We both had the Blackberry Sage Lemonade which everyone should try because it is so tasty and refreshing! Our waiter, Tony, is the BEST and if you have the privilege of having him wait on you, consider yourselves in for a great treat; he is so friendly! All of the staff we interacted with were very personable and made our visit very memorable. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was Amazing!TheBirthdayGirl3Dined on 10/19/2014Overall it was a Fantastic night!We had Tony as our server and he was amazing!One of the best servers I've had.I made my reservation online and I made a few specifications and they met every one exactly, like getting a table away from everyone.They even called me the day before to remind me I had a reservation.The food was wonderful and delicious couldn't have asked for better.The only two down falls I can think of about this location is that when you first pull up its valet parking and we came from out of town so it was difficult finding the self parking lot. And the other one was I know it takes 3 hours to complete but I felt like we could have gotten our drinks, cheese and salads a little quicker, but all in all it was a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN!!mountainhikerDined on 10/13/2014We visited The Melting Pot in LaJolla this week. As we were pulling up one of our party (of 4) received an emergency telephone call, and had to leave. The restaurant graciously held our table until his return about 40 minutes later. This is a great spot to share a meal with family and friends. Though it would be nice for a romantic evening for two, a larger group enables you to have more variety. Everyone in the party had a great time celebrating two birthdays; and enjoying the good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KeeshaDined on 10/12/2014Our server seemed to be rushing us through deciding on our food. He did not thoroughly explain the menu, which only led to a longer decision process. Otherwise, the experience was positive and we enjoyed dinner. It seems a little bit over-priced.Special Features:
- WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCE!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014GREAT FOOD, WONDERFUL SERVICE! CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK! THANK YOU!Special Features:
- Great place to celebrateFrostyFamilyDined on 10/3/2014We ate here to celebrate our youngest son's 13th birthday. When we confirmed our reservaition, they offered a birthday package that included a balloon bouquet, chocolate covered strawerries, and a couple of other items. Our son was greeted by servers and the manager during the evening, making it very special. The food was wonderful as always. We actually had far too much of it and took home leftovers.Special Features:
- Fun experienceMaritalbliss17Dined on 10/3/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary. We had never been to a fondue restaurant before and loved it! The staff was awesome and helped make our experience really enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodKdtempleVIPDined on 10/1/2014The theme of this restaurant is simple: Cook your own food in a fondue pot. It's much simpler than a cook your own steak place like the Strip Club, though. This is a fancy place very suitable for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Melting PotSnakeDined on 9/29/2014My wife and I love this place. We were in San Diego for the an important exam for her career and she passed. So to celebrate we went to The Melting Pot. We're from the east coast and have eaten at The Melting Pot in Rhode Island, Georgia, Florida, and now California. This one was not any different than the others. Same great food and same great staff. The only reason I'm not giving this a 5 star review is because I think something was wrong with our burner. Our cheese wasn't as melted as it usually is and our food took forever to cook. But other than that it was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKanonymousDined on 9/27/2014I usually done at The Melting Pot once a year. I had a reservation so we were seated on time. My sister and I each ordered the 4 course meal. Our cheese fondue was extremely cold and watery so we had to call the waitress to fix it. She added more cheese and turned up the heat under the pot. The website for the La Jolla location also promoted the 'melt into summer' deal for entrees without lobster for $36.95 but our bill had the prices listed on the menu. When I asked about this she told me that promotion was discounted for restaurant week even though that promotion was still advertised on the website. Overall, I'd probably keep my visits to once a year.Special Features:
- Loved it!FondueJoyDined on 9/27/2014We took our two teenage kids with us to celebrate a new job. It was their first time at The Melting Pot and they absolutely loved it! Our server, Rene, was amazing, as was the food. An excellent time had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekKTandKNDined on 9/26/2014Came here with my girlfriend for restaurant week and an extra early 1 year anniversary celebration due to our chaotic schedules. It was our first time and our server Orianna was superb! She explained everything and even offered suggestions which we took and they were spot on. We ordered a few drinks, the Sour Patch for myself, and the Blackberry Sage Lemonade (Non-Alcoholic) for her. The food came next and from start to finish, everything was made to perfection and tasted wonderful! Some noteable tastes would definitely include the loaded baked potato cheese fondue, the pine nuts in the salad, all of the meats and the sauces in the third course and lastly, the flaming turtle chocolate fondue in the end. My girlfriend ate it with a spoon!!Special Features:
- 1st timerssoggysogg858Dined on 9/24/2014My girlfriend and I went to the melting pot for restaurant week and was not disappointed. Our server Tony was top notch and very helpful. The menu is crazy and without his help I wouldn't even have known where to start. The 4 course is the way to go. It's an experience. Took a cool 2 and a half hours for the extravaganza so I don't recommend going during a very important dodgers game as you will only see the 9th inning. But the cheese fondue was the best I've ever had. The land and sea for the main course was great and fun to cook in the pot. Desert???? Desert is the real MVP. Ying chocolate fondue may have been the most amazing desert I have ever been a part of. Thank you melting pot for th e great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersJRodDined on 9/22/2014My boyfriend and I decided to try out San Diego Restaurant Week for the first time, and we picked this place because we've lived in San Diego our whole lives, have driven past this restaurant countless times, but never got a chance to visit. We were seriously blown away by the service, the food, and the overall experience-- there's definitely nothing quite like The Melting Pot. My only criticism is parking: we had no idea street parking would be virtually non-existent! The neighboring hotel offers garage parking at $4/hour, and there was valet parking at a fixed price of $8. Our stay totaled to 3 hours, so it definitely would have been cheaper to park in valet than in the garage. Just something to keep in mind. We'll be coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointedSDDotsDined on 9/22/2014We had dined at another of the chains restaurant so knew what to expect. Waiter was forgetful of the additional items. The ones where they ask you if you need anything else (they expect a no) and then never returned with them. Luckily the busboy was helpful. Presentation was wonderful and the cheese fondue and salad get a 10. The main course however had been pre-seasoned with lots of pepper, included the broccoli it tasted like it had been soaked in a pepper marinade. I admit to being a wimp when it comes to spices but this was a turn off. We will not be back. This is a shame since our first experience was so wonderful we were very excited about returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014I am not a great fan of their food but my friends love it. The food is expensive, portion size per person is a small. But people do not come to Melting Pot for their tasty dishes but more for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencejlaficaDined on 9/16/2014I took my wife to this restaurant for her birthday and it was wonderful from start to finish. Our server was attentive, fun and had good knowledge of the menu. We will most certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best birthday ever!mrssurfinporterDined on 9/13/2014Hubby had it all set up, rose petals on the table and even my favorite wine was ready waiting for us at the table. Staff was amazing! Food was delicious! Longest dinner at about 3 hours but we'll worth it. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Anniversary DinnerDelightfulDeparturesDined on 9/10/2014If you are in a hurry, The Melting Pot is not for you. If you want a meal with a memorable experience at a nice slow pace, then you have found your next favorite restaurant. Good menu selection. Tasty food and drinks. Pleasant service. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- SeriousDarthVader11Dined on 9/10/2014Lean was our server and she was so wonderfully attentive and sweet!! Couldn't have wished for a Breyer one!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heidi was amazingDambiousDined on 9/7/2014Thank you so much everything was perfect the food the atmosphere the service everything was just wonderful. And I love how you have extremely sexy women and men working for the melting pot. I didn't see one fat ugly person working there so thank you for that. Lol ha ha just kidding. I'm not that shallow. But honestly best experience I've had by far. 5 diamond class service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No place for kid's parties plzDine4funDined on 9/7/2014Dinner with wild little girls running around the place celebrating a birthday is no night to enjoy dinner at the melting pot. Love young ones but parents, could you please consider keeping them at your table? We want to enjoy our meals too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mix of food and experienceDiner1234Dined on 9/7/2014Server was excellent and entree portions were generous. Good recommendations on sauces to use, cooking times, and overall directions. Would have been a fabulous dinner if not for a group with out of control kids running around screaming in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice experienceChiccpDined on 9/6/2014Our reservation for 6 was set for 6pm and we were sat promptly with a warm welcome and a friendly smile. The atmosphere was lively but the spacing was a little cramped, both in the walkways between the tables but also within the booth itself. When we were handed our menus, the small overhead drop light really did nothing in helping us choose our meals. Three of the six of us broke out the flashlight apps on our phones to help us out. The lighting would have been most suited for a lovely romantic dimly lit dinner date. The menu was a little confusing to navigate, given all the choices, but our server cheerfully helped. Overall, we felt the price for the food was not a good value for the money spent there. The service was EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- FunSDGrrlVIPDined on 9/6/2014Went for our anniversary. We were seated next to a part of 8 of which 4 were very young children. Managers were very accommodating and moved us right away! Food is good ... However, this is not a gourmet experience. It is, however, a lot of fun ... Cooking, drinking some wine, talking, cooking some more! We had lobster, filet mignon, shrimp & chicken with vegetables. Appetizer cheers fondue was "traditional" and prepared table side. Dessert is awesome!!! A chocolate lover's dream come true. Be warned though ... Ventilation here is not good and you will leave the restaurant smelling like you took a bath in your (and every one else's dinner). All in all, a fun evening. We will go back.
- yummy dessert and cheesechocolateDined on 9/4/2014I came here to celebrate my friend moving away. The server was nice and friendly when he can by, but that wasn't often. It took forever to be served and get our drinks. The food was great once we finally were served. Good amount of cheese and chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divergirl67Dined on 8/31/2014My husband and I went there on 8/31/14 for our Anniversary. Everything was perfect! We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.