The Melting Pot - La Jolla
8980 University Center Lane
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/san-diego-lajolla/specials
- Phone: 8586381700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar & Front Patio Hours
Saturday 4:00pm- 11:00pm
Sunday 4:00pm- 10:00pm
Happy Hour in the Bar/Lounge:
7 Days a Week 4:30-6:30
Happy Hour in the Bar Only:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, French
- Executive Chef: Armando Lopez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private party room accommodates up to 28 guests. Reservation fees apply. Entire restaurant available for daytime functions. We will staff and serve with complete privacy. Speak with a Manager for details.
- Private Party Contact: Frankie Becker, firstname.lastname@example.org 8586381700x
- Special Events: If you plan to use your Living Social certificate when dining with us please enter your certificate number in the special request window.
A word from The Melting Pot - La Jolla
The Melting Pot Restaurant offers the perfect setting for your dining experience. The Melting Pot's fondue style of dining features the finest four-course meals, fabulous wines, great cheeses, decadent chocolate and a relaxed atmosphere. Our convenient location, unique menu offerings, romantic decor and dedicated staff make dining at the Melting Pot a truly unforgettable experience... Located in the Aventine, across from the Hyatt-La Jolla, and very easy access from the 5 freeway! Check out what the media is saying about us (http://www.sandiegometro.com/2006/may/dining.php)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Melting Pot - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Melting Pot - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (108)romantic (82)good for groups (53)fit for foodies (32)kid-friendly (20)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (15)hot spot (15)late-night find (11)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great waiterwonanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Tony was our server for the night. I was celebrating my birthday with the family. Tony was attentive, friendly, pleasant, and met all our requests. He made my dining experience very pleasant and enjoyable. Thank you Tony!Special Features:
- Hummm........mumzVIPDined on 8/11/2014Six of us crammed in to a table with 2 bench seats, down stairs there were several empty round tables where we could have been very comfortable and had a long dinner, 3 hours. The staff could have been a little more accomodating...
- Ok but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014It was very good-but not worth the price. Also wish they'd told us the happy hour menu was only avail at the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerFoodieDined on 8/5/2014I thought the first and second course were great. The main entrée was great but it seemed like a lot of work. Dessert was very, very good. I would do this again but just for the appetizer or dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014First impression, smelled like boiling meat from the minute we walked in. Came with a GROUPON and received "groupon service". Three hostess' really? Why? Our burner mechanism was not working, was on the floor when we were seated. Three(again) staff members tried to re-attach it. Hostess from Venezuela was adorable, server was great. Food eh, experience alright. Felt like a load when we left and smelled like boiling meat.
- Fun for allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014All 4 of us were new to the Melting Pot experience and all 4 of us had a great time. The service was amazing, food was great and the overall experience was so much fun. All staff members were fun and informative. I highly recommend the Melting Pot experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Slow serviceCurlygirlDined on 7/30/2014The food was good but the service was slow. And the waiter did a lot of up-selling without disclosing that the option he recommended cost more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Fun Experience!pmw310Dined on 7/30/2014If you really want to try something different yet yummy, this is your place! So many great flavors and the service was awesome!Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014I love The Melting Pot. It is a great place to sit and enjoy a delicious meal with friends.Special Features:
- Who wants a filet mignon boiled?roboboopDined on 7/24/2014I expected amazing professionally cooked food that you could dip in a variety of sauces for a nice fondue experience. Unfortunately that was not the case. To start, the cheese appetizer tasted great, but you can only have one cheese per table. Some dividers in the pot would make for more flavors and a more exciting experience. Dinner is where my mind was just blown, and not in a good way. We get salmon, duck, filet mignon, and how do we get to eat it? Boiled in broth! What a disservice to great ingredients! And I also have to stress about cooking times? Crazy! It's a fondue place, give me some darn dipping sauces and cook my food for me! Fine dining this is not! Very disappointed and will not return.
- Delicious placeCrazdwriterDined on 7/23/2014My husband have been going to The Melting Pot for quite a few years and they always know how to keep a customer happy. Te food is amazing, prices aren't too bad, and the service is always top notch. LOVE LOVE LOVE The Melting Pot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but slowSleeplessInPLDined on 7/22/2014Having the fondue pot was fun and new experience, but our server was slooooow....I ordered a wine flight to pair with my food and it did not arrive until after the appetizer and salad....too slow for me.Special Features:
- Fun dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014I invited some older relatives I had not seen for a while and brought my three teenage sons whom they barely knew. The environment really broke the ice and gave us a lot to talk about and interact. The food was delicious, especially the seafood.Special Features:
- Overly priced3momsDined on 7/21/2014The experience and our waiter (Micah) was wonderful, but I have to say that the portion prices are too expensive. I ordered a salad and it was "small." I understand the no sharing, but this was literally 5 bites and it was gone. The sauces, just wasn't enough to give the meat/veggies enough flavor. We did opt for the complimentary broth. Maybe if you upgrade, there would be more flavor. The dessert was the best.Special Features:
- Special EveningbirthdaygirlDined on 7/21/2014To celebrate our summer birthdays, my partner and I decided to visit the Melting Pot for the 2nd year in a row. It's just a great place to give yourself a special treat (it's by far the most money we've spent on a dinner out). The wait staff if friendly, informed and attentive. The food is delicious and fresh. The 4 course meal is so much fun from start to finish and the finish is so yummy (I highly recommend the dark chocolate, caramel and sea salt for desert!). I think we will be keeping this birthday tradition!Special Features:
- Great for a date nightmandyjmDined on 7/17/2014We love coming here for a romantic date or to celebrate a special occasion. Great concept and service has always been excellent.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014I came for my first time with my boyfriend. We both had so much fun. Our waiter Jiovane was amazing and walked us through the whole experience. It was a little pricey but perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out with the fianceeLovinLifeDined on 7/17/2014I decided to take my fiancee out to dinner here a few nights ago for a surprise and it was phenomenal! This is the type of restaurant where it is okay to dress a little more casual or go all out and dress to the nines as we happened to do on this occasion. The atmosphere is perfect for a romantic getaway with the high booths between each table, the darkened atmosphere, and the interaction with cooking your own dinner. Whoever said you shouldn't play with your food has apparently never had fondue. The price was not bad, we both had the 4-course meals for $35-45 and were completely filled after our delicious entrees (she had the lobster...WOW!). Somehow we saved enough room for the dessert our server Allisa helped us customize! She was great!Special Features:
- Not a big fanDatenightDined on 7/16/2014Melting Pot in UTC has been one of my favorite go to's in the last few years. We go there often and this last visit was with our inlaws and it was not a great experience. We called earlier in the evening to let them know our sitter was late and that we would be about 15 minutes delayed. They put us down for 7pm vs 6:30pm...We arrived at 6:45pm and we waited until 7:15pm to be seated. We walked the area downstairs and there was 8 open tables. Were they not ready for us at 6:30pm. Then we were seated upstairs where our server Michael was really great...superb actually but he said the kitchen was busy with only 2 servers. Salad late, oil got too hot, waited 45min for our meats..we skipped dessert which we never do.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner!JustinCourtneyDined on 7/14/2014My wife and I went here to celebrate our wedding Anniversary. Our server was Leah, and she was just incredible. Very friendly and fun to talk to, and came to check on us at the perfect times (not overly solicitous). Just an all around wonderful evening, we will be back again! Thank you Leah :)Special Features:
- Loved it!DateNightWifeDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I came here for date night, and date night doesn't happen often so we wanted to do something nice. Our server's name was Rene and he was great: friendly, informative, helpful. He explained how the whole Melting Pot experience worked step by step, gave recommendations, and checked on us often but not too much. Despite it being the busy dinner hour on a Saturday night we were not neglected and our drinks were refilled quickly and our food was brought out for each course pretty quickly as well. The food was amazing, my favorite parts were of course the cheese fondue and chocolate. But the entrée was really good as well. My husband and I had a great time and loved the food. The ambience was really nice as well, great for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The food is overpriced. It is ok, quite good, but nothing special that you can;t get in other places. The only reason to charge these prices is the findu experience, which is great. Place is good for special occasions but not as high quality diningSpecial Features:
- FUN!inojDined on 7/12/2014Another fun and tasty dinner served by our favorite wait person Leah! Thank you.Special Features:
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014Every time I come to the melting pot I am always satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your experience may varykiwiVIPDined on 7/3/2014Very crowded day with some kind of Groupon promotion going on... Have my reservation at 7:30, not being seated till 8:00 because they gave my table to someone that shared my first name without checking their last name. Very noisy since most of the folks are with their kids which defeat their purpose of the romance setting. Service is slow due to a lack of staff. Food is good generally although their sea salt chocolate is a little bit too salty.Special Features:
- waiter was excellent tonyDpetersDined on 7/3/2014Our waiter was excellent kept us entertained but I reserved 3 days in advance and asked for chocolate covered strawberries for my girlfriends birthday I got there and said I wasn't able to get them cause I didn't have the coupon then they asked if I was gonna purchase them of course I would purchase them and at the end of our visit we never got the strawberries going to the gas lamp melting pot from now onSpecial Features:
- Plesantly SurpirsedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/2/2014Our teens had been wanting to try fondue so we dined there for my daughters 16th birthday. The food was good and the presentation was fun and different. The price is very high for the food hat you get, but the overall experience was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerDined on 7/2/2014Excessively priced for portions, terrible service, and would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. One of the worst dining experiences to date! Halfway through the meal I was wishing I had brought my out of town guests to Fleming's next door. The waiter barely provided service and seemed uninterested in explaining the meal to us. Other's in the restaurant were confused about the menu and barely ordered any food. I have been to another Melting Pot location and at the least the service was decent there. A complete waste of money and time!!!
- 5 STARSHizSweetheartDined on 6/28/2014Omg! For Our 6 Year Anniversary My boyfriend and I went to La Jolla, Ca...Like Every Year He Surprises Me by Planning our Anniversaries this year I surprised him, (I was pretty impressed myself) the food was delicious, in his words "OMG, AMAZING!" From the beginning, our baked potato cheese fondue all the way to the end, our chocolaty fondue with strawberries, pineapples, marshmellows, and brownies.. the atmosphere was dim and romantic, the waitresses explained how to do every single thing very well, if we are ever in town again, we will be sure to hit this spot again! IF WE COULD WE WOULD GIVE THESE GUYS 10STARS...Special Features:
- Love itRiggfoxDined on 6/27/2014We went for my birthday and it was fantastic! The food was beyond deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So funMeltingpotDined on 6/25/2014Me and my boyfriend went on a date here and had so much fun. We got the 4 course meal and loved everything. The cookies and cream fondue was amazing. And our waiter tony made our experience even better! He recommended great things and was so niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceM3lissaDined on 6/23/2014I went here for the first time for my birthday. Our waitress was very sweet and knew the menu well, and was able to explain how the menu worked very easily. At the end of our meal she even brought out 3 little Rice Krispies with chocolate drizzled on them and a candle in it for me! How cute :) I will definitely return. It's nice to find places with excellent customer service. Thank you for making my birthday memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014We had a very enjoyable evening (four of us), our waiter, Jose, was very helpful and attentive. The food was very good and we had a lovely leisurely dinner. Very calm smooth service and would definitely plan another special dinner with you. Also, all of the staff was attentive and friendly, even wishing my granddaughter a happy birthday again on our way out. GrandmaSpecial Features:
- Great place to eatGoodfoodDined on 6/20/2014The food was amazing, the service was top notch and I would recommend this place to everyone. I don't think I have had a better meal anywhere else. This place was worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Quality food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014Good service, good quality food. However, it will be nice to have more in quantity. I understand meat are expensive, but I don't understand why there is only one small bowl of veggie for a group of four. Veggie does not cost a lot ;-( I don't know if I can ask for more since I was not offered to do so. Overall, I do have a very good experience.Special Features:
- Fun and delicious!MeredithDined on 6/17/2014Great place for a fun family night out (with kids old enough to avoid burning themselves) or romantic meal for two. I was here on my honeymoon and we had a great time. Wonderful servers, vast menu of options and delicious food. I really like that you can pick and choose based on your appetite (vs being locked into a four course meal) and the prices aren't bad either. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interactive dining experienceOBbatgirlDined on 6/15/2014We had a lovely Father's Day dinner here with our sometimes-surly teenager. She chose the restaurant and took delight in guiding us through the menu options. It made for a much more engaged conversation than usual and we had a memorably nice family evening. We chose an early dinner time, and the restaurant seemed full of families with very small children--all extremely well behaved and adorable. The kids seemed to enjoy the process of cooking at the table; it kept them entertained. The wine list was entirely satisfactory. It is a fairly pricey evening and I wouldn't call it exactly a "foodie" experience but we had fun. Our waiter was great, very friendly, helpful and attentive. And who can resist three rounds of chocolate fondue??!!Special Features:
- One of our Favorites--Yummy4tummyDined on 6/15/2014We always use "Melting Pot" La Jolla as our "Go To" for special occasions and have built many fine memories around it so was a natural to celebrate Father's Day there with my husband, children, parents and brother :-) The only thing to keep in mind is that the restaurant is naturally packed during national holidays and service is not as on par as when it's a regular day (in my opinion). Also, be careful with online reservations as there was some confusion with our needs vs. restaurant capacity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!ScbeeDined on 6/15/2014Took my dad for Father's Day and he loved it! Food was delicious and the service was amazing. I will be going back again for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please see below.SharonDined on 6/14/2014Tony was awesome as well as the bartender. Aimee the manager made the night very specical. It was my birthday and I felt so special. Thanks Melting PotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.