The Melting Pot - La Jolla
8980 University Center Lane
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/san-diego-lajolla/specials
- Phone: 8586381700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar & Front Patio Hours
Saturday 4:00pm- 11:00pm
Sunday 4:00pm- 10:00pm
Happy Hour in the Bar/Lounge:
7 Days a Week 4:30-6:30
Happy Hour in the Bar Only:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, French
- Executive Chef: Armando Lopez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private party room accommodates up to 28 guests. Reservation fees apply. Entire restaurant available for daytime functions. We will staff and serve with complete privacy. Speak with a Manager for details.
- Private Party Contact: Frankie Becker, email@example.com 8586381700x
- Special Events: If you plan to use your Living Social certificate when dining with us please enter your certificate number in the special request window.
A word from The Melting Pot - La Jolla
The Melting Pot Restaurant offers the perfect setting for your dining experience. The Melting Pot's fondue style of dining features the finest four-course meals, fabulous wines, great cheeses, decadent chocolate and a relaxed atmosphere. Our convenient location, unique menu offerings, romantic decor and dedicated staff make dining at the Melting Pot a truly unforgettable experience... Located in the Aventine, across from the Hyatt-La Jolla, and very easy access from the 5 freeway! Check out what the media is saying about us (http://www.sandiegometro.com/2006/may/dining.php)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Melting Pot - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Melting Pot - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (111)romantic (86)good for groups (53)fit for foodies (36)kid-friendly (17)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (13)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Best birthday ever!mrssurfinporterDined on 9/13/2014Hubby had it all set up, rose petals on the table and even my favorite wine was ready waiting for us at the table. Staff was amazing! Food was delicious! Longest dinner at about 3 hours but we'll worth it. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Anniversary DinnerDelightfulDeparturesDined on 9/10/2014If you are in a hurry, The Melting Pot is not for you. If you want a meal with a memorable experience at a nice slow pace, then you have found your next favorite restaurant. Good menu selection. Tasty food and drinks. Pleasant service. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- SeriousDarthVader11Dined on 9/10/2014Lean was our server and she was so wonderfully attentive and sweet!! Couldn't have wished for a Breyer one!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heidi was amazingDambiousDined on 9/7/2014Thank you so much everything was perfect the food the atmosphere the service everything was just wonderful. And I love how you have extremely sexy women and men working for the melting pot. I didn't see one fat ugly person working there so thank you for that. Lol ha ha just kidding. I'm not that shallow. But honestly best experience I've had by far. 5 diamond class service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No place for kid's parties plzDine4funDined on 9/7/2014Dinner with wild little girls running around the place celebrating a birthday is no night to enjoy dinner at the melting pot. Love young ones but parents, could you please consider keeping them at your table? We want to enjoy our meals too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mix of food and experienceDiner1234Dined on 9/7/2014Server was excellent and entree portions were generous. Good recommendations on sauces to use, cooking times, and overall directions. Would have been a fabulous dinner if not for a group with out of control kids running around screaming in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice experienceChiccpDined on 9/6/2014Our reservation for 6 was set for 6pm and we were sat promptly with a warm welcome and a friendly smile. The atmosphere was lively but the spacing was a little cramped, both in the walkways between the tables but also within the booth itself. When we were handed our menus, the small overhead drop light really did nothing in helping us choose our meals. Three of the six of us broke out the flashlight apps on our phones to help us out. The lighting would have been most suited for a lovely romantic dimly lit dinner date. The menu was a little confusing to navigate, given all the choices, but our server cheerfully helped. Overall, we felt the price for the food was not a good value for the money spent there. The service was EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- FunSDGrrlVIPDined on 9/6/2014Went for our anniversary. We were seated next to a part of 8 of which 4 were very young children. Managers were very accommodating and moved us right away! Food is good ... However, this is not a gourmet experience. It is, however, a lot of fun ... Cooking, drinking some wine, talking, cooking some more! We had lobster, filet mignon, shrimp & chicken with vegetables. Appetizer cheers fondue was "traditional" and prepared table side. Dessert is awesome!!! A chocolate lover's dream come true. Be warned though ... Ventilation here is not good and you will leave the restaurant smelling like you took a bath in your (and every one else's dinner). All in all, a fun evening. We will go back.
- yummy dessert and cheesechocolateDined on 9/4/2014I came here to celebrate my friend moving away. The server was nice and friendly when he can by, but that wasn't often. It took forever to be served and get our drinks. The food was great once we finally were served. Good amount of cheese and chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divergirl67Dined on 8/31/2014My husband and I went there on 8/31/14 for our Anniversary. Everything was perfect! We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!24caliDined on 8/31/2014We LOVE Melting Pot. It is our 7 y/o's fave. New to the area, we came to this location to celebrate. Sooooo disappointed. Our server was so lousy it ruined the entire experience. He made no attempt to inform us about the menu. We waited for LONG periods of time for him to check on us, bring drinks, the next course, etc. This is especially frustrating when you are dining with little ones. We made our reservation very early (4:30) so we would avoid the later crowds,so it was galling that we had to wait on him when the restaurant wasn't even busy yet! He was completely unfamiliar with the wine list - when we made inquiries, he was flippant to the point of being rude. For the price, we expect MUCH better!Special Features:
- Mmmm Chocolate!hates2cookDined on 8/29/2014This was my third time at The Melting Pot La Jolla. Everytime has been awesome. the waistaff is always upbeat and explains everything. They always tell you the ingredients as they put them in. It's romantic for date night and fun for a double date or even a family dinner. (I personally wouldn't recommend it for children under 7 or 8) Give it a try, you'll love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family timePolstonDined on 8/29/2014We celebrated my daughters birthday and it was intimate but yet able to have fun and laugh. Great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with great serviceBearBaconDined on 8/28/2014Our amazing and experienced server, Mike, took great care of us yesterday. He was attentive without being intrusive. Everything we ordered was great and our server paid attention to detail to ensure we received the finest meal. This was our second time dining and we will definitely return for a third meal. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun trivia, okay food.KPSmithDined on 8/26/2014We ate at the bar. The bartender, Matt, was very friendly and made the night fun with trivia. The food was okay.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melting Pot- Very Good OverallSolanaFoodie36Dined on 8/24/2014Went out on a Sunday with the G/f, we had a reservation which came in handy but wasn't nessesarily needed. Food was great, their summer special with four course was a great choice. Jose, our server, was outstanding when it came to everything. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE DUCK! Cost with drinks was roughly $45 a person, but plenty of food, choices. Recommend for 2-6 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Think the price is deceptive we were to order the special and told the waiter. Got the bill and with tip for 3 people paid $200. Hate boiled meat now. Love the cheese and dessert that was it. I would not go back only did it for my daughter because she is going to college.
- great waiterwonanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Tony was our server for the night. I was celebrating my birthday with the family. Tony was attentive, friendly, pleasant, and met all our requests. He made my dining experience very pleasant and enjoyable. Thank you Tony!Special Features:
- Hummm........mumzVIPDined on 8/11/2014Six of us crammed in to a table with 2 bench seats, down stairs there were several empty round tables where we could have been very comfortable and had a long dinner, 3 hours. The staff could have been a little more accomodating...
- Ok but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014It was very good-but not worth the price. Also wish they'd told us the happy hour menu was only avail at the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerFoodieDined on 8/5/2014I thought the first and second course were great. The main entrée was great but it seemed like a lot of work. Dessert was very, very good. I would do this again but just for the appetizer or dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014First impression, smelled like boiling meat from the minute we walked in. Came with a GROUPON and received "groupon service". Three hostess' really? Why? Our burner mechanism was not working, was on the floor when we were seated. Three(again) staff members tried to re-attach it. Hostess from Venezuela was adorable, server was great. Food eh, experience alright. Felt like a load when we left and smelled like boiling meat.
- Fun for allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014All 4 of us were new to the Melting Pot experience and all 4 of us had a great time. The service was amazing, food was great and the overall experience was so much fun. All staff members were fun and informative. I highly recommend the Melting Pot experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Slow serviceCurlygirlDined on 7/30/2014The food was good but the service was slow. And the waiter did a lot of up-selling without disclosing that the option he recommended cost more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Fun Experience!pmw310Dined on 7/30/2014If you really want to try something different yet yummy, this is your place! So many great flavors and the service was awesome!Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014I love The Melting Pot. It is a great place to sit and enjoy a delicious meal with friends.Special Features:
- Who wants a filet mignon boiled?roboboopDined on 7/24/2014I expected amazing professionally cooked food that you could dip in a variety of sauces for a nice fondue experience. Unfortunately that was not the case. To start, the cheese appetizer tasted great, but you can only have one cheese per table. Some dividers in the pot would make for more flavors and a more exciting experience. Dinner is where my mind was just blown, and not in a good way. We get salmon, duck, filet mignon, and how do we get to eat it? Boiled in broth! What a disservice to great ingredients! And I also have to stress about cooking times? Crazy! It's a fondue place, give me some darn dipping sauces and cook my food for me! Fine dining this is not! Very disappointed and will not return.
- Delicious placeCrazdwriterDined on 7/23/2014My husband have been going to The Melting Pot for quite a few years and they always know how to keep a customer happy. Te food is amazing, prices aren't too bad, and the service is always top notch. LOVE LOVE LOVE The Melting Pot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but slowSleeplessInPLDined on 7/22/2014Having the fondue pot was fun and new experience, but our server was slooooow....I ordered a wine flight to pair with my food and it did not arrive until after the appetizer and salad....too slow for me.Special Features:
- Fun dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014I invited some older relatives I had not seen for a while and brought my three teenage sons whom they barely knew. The environment really broke the ice and gave us a lot to talk about and interact. The food was delicious, especially the seafood.Special Features:
- Overly priced3momsDined on 7/21/2014The experience and our waiter (Micah) was wonderful, but I have to say that the portion prices are too expensive. I ordered a salad and it was "small." I understand the no sharing, but this was literally 5 bites and it was gone. The sauces, just wasn't enough to give the meat/veggies enough flavor. We did opt for the complimentary broth. Maybe if you upgrade, there would be more flavor. The dessert was the best.Special Features:
- Special EveningbirthdaygirlDined on 7/21/2014To celebrate our summer birthdays, my partner and I decided to visit the Melting Pot for the 2nd year in a row. It's just a great place to give yourself a special treat (it's by far the most money we've spent on a dinner out). The wait staff if friendly, informed and attentive. The food is delicious and fresh. The 4 course meal is so much fun from start to finish and the finish is so yummy (I highly recommend the dark chocolate, caramel and sea salt for desert!). I think we will be keeping this birthday tradition!Special Features:
- Great for a date nightmandyjmDined on 7/17/2014We love coming here for a romantic date or to celebrate a special occasion. Great concept and service has always been excellent.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014I came for my first time with my boyfriend. We both had so much fun. Our waiter Jiovane was amazing and walked us through the whole experience. It was a little pricey but perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out with the fianceeLovinLifeDined on 7/17/2014I decided to take my fiancee out to dinner here a few nights ago for a surprise and it was phenomenal! This is the type of restaurant where it is okay to dress a little more casual or go all out and dress to the nines as we happened to do on this occasion. The atmosphere is perfect for a romantic getaway with the high booths between each table, the darkened atmosphere, and the interaction with cooking your own dinner. Whoever said you shouldn't play with your food has apparently never had fondue. The price was not bad, we both had the 4-course meals for $35-45 and were completely filled after our delicious entrees (she had the lobster...WOW!). Somehow we saved enough room for the dessert our server Allisa helped us customize! She was great!Special Features:
- Not a big fanDatenightDined on 7/16/2014Melting Pot in UTC has been one of my favorite go to's in the last few years. We go there often and this last visit was with our inlaws and it was not a great experience. We called earlier in the evening to let them know our sitter was late and that we would be about 15 minutes delayed. They put us down for 7pm vs 6:30pm...We arrived at 6:45pm and we waited until 7:15pm to be seated. We walked the area downstairs and there was 8 open tables. Were they not ready for us at 6:30pm. Then we were seated upstairs where our server Michael was really great...superb actually but he said the kitchen was busy with only 2 servers. Salad late, oil got too hot, waited 45min for our meats..we skipped dessert which we never do.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner!JustinCourtneyDined on 7/14/2014My wife and I went here to celebrate our wedding Anniversary. Our server was Leah, and she was just incredible. Very friendly and fun to talk to, and came to check on us at the perfect times (not overly solicitous). Just an all around wonderful evening, we will be back again! Thank you Leah :)Special Features:
- Loved it!DateNightWifeDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I came here for date night, and date night doesn't happen often so we wanted to do something nice. Our server's name was Rene and he was great: friendly, informative, helpful. He explained how the whole Melting Pot experience worked step by step, gave recommendations, and checked on us often but not too much. Despite it being the busy dinner hour on a Saturday night we were not neglected and our drinks were refilled quickly and our food was brought out for each course pretty quickly as well. The food was amazing, my favorite parts were of course the cheese fondue and chocolate. But the entrée was really good as well. My husband and I had a great time and loved the food. The ambience was really nice as well, great for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The food is overpriced. It is ok, quite good, but nothing special that you can;t get in other places. The only reason to charge these prices is the findu experience, which is great. Place is good for special occasions but not as high quality diningSpecial Features:
- FUN!inojDined on 7/12/2014Another fun and tasty dinner served by our favorite wait person Leah! Thank you.Special Features: