The Melting Pot - Gaslamp Quarter
901 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - Gaslamp Quarter
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/san-diego-gaslamp/specials
- Phone: (619) 234-5554
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday through Thursday 5-10 pm, Friday and Saturday 4-11 pm, Sunday 4-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Executive Chef: Gregorio Arredondo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Melting Pot has two private dining rooms to serve our guests. The first accommodates 8 people comfortably while the second suits up to a party of 16.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 6192345554x
- Cross Street: E Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet drop off is at the Gaslamp Suites Plaza entrance on E Street. There are several public parking lots available on Fifth and Sixth Avenue. Valet parking is available on Sunday-Thursday for $10. Friday for $15
If you bring in your valet ticket, we'll give you $5 off!
A word from The Melting Pot - Gaslamp Quarter
Come in and experience fondue at the Gaslamp Quarter's latest edition. Please check out our online menu to find your favorite selections. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Melting Pot - Gaslamp Quarter - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
The Melting Pot - Gaslamp Quarter reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)romantic (72)good for groups (49)fit for foodies (41)hot spot (20)notable wine list (16)late-night find (16)neighborhood gem (13)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Only AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014There are too many good restaurants in San Diego to put out average food. This restaurant seems to be proud of it's food. The cheeses they use aren't the best quality. The salad was very small and old. We will never come here again.
- Great nightjayratcliffeDined on 11/8/2014I had placed a reservation about two weeks in advanced for my friends birthday. when we first got there they had actually put us at a smaller table our amazing waitress requested to have us moved to a much larger table with two burners. The manager came over and quickly moved us and came to our table multiple times to make sure we were enjoying our dinner. Our waitress' name was Karen and we could not had asked for someone better. She was so friendly and enjoyable. Every course was better then the last. The bartenders took very good care of use as each of us ordered different drinks each time. I could not say better things about this place it was truly an amazing night and aside from the great food the service was incredible.Special Features:
- great place, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014service was awful, not trained personal. never had such a great food and place with bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing, Exciting DinnerCiarleneDined on 11/5/2014I recently went to The Melting Pot to celebrate my second anniversary with my partner. I made a last-minute decision to eat there, as I need to book a reservation the morning of and wanted to go somewhere in downtown San Diego. I made a great choice. My partner and I were both pleasantly surprised at the p leasant design of the restaurant and the comfort of our booth. This was our first time eating there, so waiter quickly and clearly explained how ordering off the menu worked. Once we ordered and received our food (fairly quickly, I might add), we immediately knew that going there was a good decision and that we'd have to come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Date NightRBFeindrDined on 11/1/2014Add a few rose petals, a candle, and quiet private table to a four course meal is the makings for a great date night. Just perfect.Special Features:
- HAD A GREAT TIME!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2014MELTING POT - LADIES NIGHT WAS THE BEST! I WOULD DEF. GO THERE AGAIN.Special Features:
- Oustandinglarz683Dined on 10/29/2014It was our fifth anniversary and they made us feel like we were the only guest in the restraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese and dessert is best partBalkoDined on 10/25/2014I took my girlfriend for a date night since it had been a while since we both dressed up and at a nice meal downtown. To be honest, the main course was terrible, but the first course with the cheese was awesome. Dessert was incredible. Next time all I will be doing is a cheese first course and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLovinthedineDined on 10/20/2014I went here for my birthday this week and enjoyed every moment from walking in to walking outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Anniversary EcperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Dinner on our 30th Wedding Anniversary was truly a special experience. The staff was wonderful. They prepared our evening exactly as I had imagined it. My wife was thrilled... to tears. Thank you Melting Pot.Special Features:
- Wonderful Special Occasion SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We were celebrating our 2 year anniversary and had a wonderful time. The waiter was fantastic and was very attentive.Special Features:
- One Word: Phemomenaldelighted2dineDined on 10/10/2014Everything about here was fantastic! I took my wife here for our anniversary and they covered the whole table in rose petals, roses, and so much more. The fondue was incredible. My wife says she can't wait for next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice date event!!QuandarDined on 9/30/2014Decided to go on a special date. The Melting Pot was the perfect place. The ambiance had a very regal and refined feel to it with respectable artisan ceiling architecture that complemented everything quite well. Our server was EXTREMELY knowledgeable and exceptionally attentive. He made our experience memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousnessFondueFunDined on 9/26/2014Although it wasn't my first visit to The Melting Pot, a couple of my friends had never been before. They were intrigued by the concept of fondue dining and enjoyed themselves overall. Our server Lucas (pardon if misspelled) went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and enhance our dining experience from start to finish. He was friendly, attentive, and accommodated our every need. We had a delightful evening and will definitely be repeat guests at your establishment. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot! Glad I went!YummmmDined on 9/26/2014I went for restaurant week, but ended up not even using that menu(not to much of a difference from the regular menu) but I was not expected what I got at all! I was aware that we were going to be dipping our food in a pot, but all of the food was so good! Fresh colors, great quality, and the service was amazing. They explained it all too you then let you have some fun which I did! I was starving when I got there and was actually super full when I left! It would not be a everyday meal for me. But I do this it is worth the price and I would surely put money aside to go here again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected betterAmeliaDined on 9/26/2014I feel this place should of been better. For one the place had this horrid smell half way through our meal.. It was a mix of nasty sweaty people mixed with feet. Secondly, our server kinda treated us like we were children and I felt pretty disrespected when he was explaining the process because of the tone he spoke to me with. Third, we were up charged $5 for another plate for dipping for our chocolate portion which I find rediculous because he was the one who asked if we wanted more not informing us it was an extra up charge. I had a good experience because I was with my husband and we make the best out of everything but I also find these things unexceptable. I would try a different location if I ever felt the need to go back.
- Great service, fantastic dessert!teamstevoDined on 9/25/2014First time diner - We came in on a Thursday night to celebrate our anniversary. The place has a definite romantic atmosphere; however the table stovetop hampers hand-holding across the table. The host who sat us made us feel welcome and as we were seated gave us a card signed by the entire staff - very nice. Karen, our server, was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. She explained the menu so that we were prepared for the various courses. The food is good but the dessert side of things is outstanding! Karen also brought us out a two huge decorated and delicious strawberries that was another great touch. We'll go back for the dessert fondue for sure. I can also see coming here with another couple being fun as well. Recommended.Special Features:
- Awesome date night1sttimerDined on 9/21/2014A great experience in dining. Makes you stay and enjoy the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Ummm. Well I was highly anticipating this restaurant week trip. It was ok. The artichoke spinich cheese was yummy. The meat course was so small. I left feeling hungry but maybe thats just us? I felt for 130$ we could have eaten some place with fat steaks and all the fixings. If u are a little bird and just want to experience fondue go here..otherwise u will leave hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014had a great experience here. Service was wonderful, cocktails were delicious, and the cozy romantic feel made the prices worth it.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and AtmospherelaurajcDined on 9/13/2014I have never eaten at the Melting Pot before last night, but had heard many great things about it. I shared only the chocolate fondue with a friend and my expectations were certainly met. Not only was the chocolate amazing, but so was the presentation of the food, as well as the location of our seat. The seating was very private and intimate, which I enjoyed, and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Overall, my experience was very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always funSDFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Fondue is always a fun time. We went with a friend's 10 y.o. who did their kids cooking class. Because of the class, whenever she goes to Melting Pot, she gets to assist the server (bring water, put order into computer, bring up food items, mix fondue, etc). She had an absolute blast helping!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's birthdayBirthdayDined on 9/6/2014My wife had a great time which is what matters to me most. It was her birthday and this was a surprise dinner. She was told "happy birthday" by several members of the staff which was pretty awesome. It was obvious that they took note of the occasion. Our server was very good and respected the fact that we planned to make this a long dinner setting (which is what my wife loves). It was very pleasant and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melting Pot GaslampTrodDined on 9/6/2014Great atmosphere. Our waiter, Arthur was amazing. Best waiter in a long time. Food was delicious and it was definitely "fun"do. Must go and if you do ask for ArthurSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An ExperienceHeresTheScoopDined on 9/5/2014This was the 2nd time we've eaten here. The first time was with another (younger) couple. This time it was just my wife and me, attending an event 1 block away, so we decided to give it another try. The atmosphere is very nice and comfortable and you can easily have a conversation at a normal level. The "bleed-through" noise from the night club down stairs from the restaurant is noticeable but not obnoxious. The server was new but knowledgable, friendly and attentive. The food was good but the portions are small and a bit pricey for what you get. You are paying for the "Experience" and the "Process". Allow yourself 2 hours to enjoy the full "show". The surrounding area is definitely a younger bar crowd scene so be prepared. Valet park.Special Features:
- hungry2eathungry2eatVIPDined on 9/4/2014My first time in this restaurant and I had great expectations! The presentation was pretty and modern. The food was just not great. Very expensive. Our server was, pleasant and efficient. You can't imagine how complicated his explanation of the menu was. Just not worth the price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We received a small plate of bite sized pieces for dipping into chocolate. Some of the pieces seemed stale and they were stingy with the portions. The restaurant was nice with nice ambiance until the bar in the basement started their "music" and the bass felt like artillery from a military base. The servers were good, however considering the portions and quality of the dipping pieces, the prices were way too high. We won't be returning to the Melting Pot in the Gaslamp Quarter.Special Features:
- Melting WalletLovesToEatDined on 8/22/2014I purchased a Groupon to save a little money and still spent a lot more (the cheese fondue and chocolate were not included)! This restaurant is very expensive. Save it for a special occasion or a fun group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I thought the place was over priced for what they actually gave. Everyone at the table had to choose the same style of cheese/broth/ chocolate was absurd for a $50 per person meal. The idea behind going out to eat is to experience something new and go to a place that makes you believe that it's something better than what you can get at home, but all that place made you think about was how you could easily be doing it at home for a better price/ingredients. Also self boiled entree meat really isn't my idea of fine dining food. I guess you go there thinking the place to be something different and better than what it turned out to be. Service there was poor and the waiter we had was very condescending when he spoke to my table.Special Features:
- It's fun to dip!!CrewVIPDined on 8/19/2014We've never been to a Melting Pot before, so this was a new learning experience for us. Our waiter, Brandon, was very patient with all our questions, and really helped guide us so our night would be special. The dipping experience, the flavor of the food, and looking forward to each coming dish, all succeeded in making it a super fun way to end our stay in San Diego. The food is very fresh, with lots of choices for your entree (including vegetarian), and the dipping sauces to top everything made them all tastier! Yes, it's a bit pricey, but definitely worth it for a special occasion splurge once in a while. Brandon even made a specially designed plate for us with our dessert, he really made an effort to get to know us. You should go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeJrsygirlDined on 8/16/2014I love this place when attending with people you are close with or those that don't double dip. Small party Booths tend to not provide enough leg room or can be a little uncomfortable if you are over 6 feet- nothing a drink can't fix :)Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant for CouplesformerchefchrisDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I visited The Melting Pot on our honeymoon in downtown San Diego and again on our anniversary. We love the atmosphere and of course the food, a very intimate experience. After dinner their bar, Syrah, under the restaurant always has something new and amazing on the cocktail menu. We look forward to visiting on our anniversary trips to the downtown.Special Features:
- Cheese & Chocolate!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We were there during happy hour so $5 drinks, 1/2 off cheese and chocolate! The fondue was amazing, the staff was attentive, and the bill was surprisingly lower than I'd anticipated. It wa a great meal.Special Features:
- Melting Pot Newbiesdindin4twoDined on 8/15/2014We had our first Melting Pot experience here and it did not disappoint! The service was great and we came when they just opened so the atmosphere was pretty quiet which we enjoyed. The food was "okay" and I say okay because the food wasn't seasoned as well as it could have been so it tasted a little bland even with the sauces. Unfortunately we didn't have time in our schedule to stay for dessert but we will be back for that!Special Features:
- Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Just the little things like having a Happy Anniversary card signed be the staff waiting at the table was very sweet. Cody, our server, really took the time to explain how the menu worked as this was our first visit.Special Features:
- Not the Experience I Know It Can BePegabooooVIPDined on 8/11/2014We have been at many Melting Pots however this one just was not up to their normal standards. Very pricey for the service and the food we received.
- Perfect service and great locationgogolakersDined on 8/10/2014The older I get, the more I value great service. It trumps mediocre food, and stand out above ambiance and anything else you can imagine. Our waiter chris was great about everything. We tipped over 30%! The food was perfect and it was the best experience in San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Melting Pot, awesome!MikeSDined on 8/10/2014The night was a "just because" kind of night as I was back home on R&R for a little while. I booked the Ultimate Romance package ($165 I think). My wife and I were both a bit surprised to find the candle lit table, rose pedals, Moscato on ice, and the other nine roses in a vase on the table. The table was in a secluded corner and was a bit detached from the public, great for stealing a kiss or two during dinner. The waitress was very personable, and picked up on the occasion being a little different than most. My wife and I had missed birthdays (ours), Valentines day, and even our seventh anniversary. The waitress brought a decorative plate in for each of those occasions trough out the meal, along with a "just because" one. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Server Melanie was Excellent!Foodie2Dined on 8/7/2014We (party of 6) celebrated my daughters 16th birthday at the Melting Pot and it was everything my daughter could have asked for. I ordered the tiara as an add on for $25 and I honestly expected the tiara to be kind of tacky looking as it was only $25, however, it was a beautiful tiara which was a nice surprise. Melanie our server decorated a plate with strawberries saying Happy Birthday Arianna and that was also a nice touch. The food was excellent and did not disappoint as we each ordered the endless fondue. We all enjoyed the fondue experience and will be dining again on the next ladies night out. I would definitely have a special occasion dinner here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GIG trainedFrangibelleDined on 7/31/2014A great and safe place to eat for the gluten intolerant since they are GIG trained. Delicious food presented in a fun way. There's a clearly marked GF menu and our server was helpful and thorough, so I felt at ease. I hope to go back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.