The Melting Pot - Charlottesville
501 E. Water Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - Charlottesville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/charlottesville/specials
- Phone: 4342443463x4
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 5th & Water
- Public Transit: There is a free trolly system that runs by the restaurant and a nearby bus stop on the corner of Water and 5th.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages and a parking lot located in the area. One garage is on 5th and Market and the other two are on Water Street. One is a parking garage and the other is a parking lot. We validate for 2 hour parking.
A word from The Melting Pot - Charlottesville
Here fondue becomes a memorable four-course dining experience, where you can really dip into something different. Enjoy a choice of four flavorful fondue cooking styles and a variety of tasty entrees, including tender beef, boneless breast of chicken, duck, lobster, shrimp, scallops, salmon and much more. All are available in many different combinations with a variety of special dipping sauces. Cheese fondues can be ordered separately and are included with the purchase of any combination dinner. Along with every entrée, you’ll get breads, savory vegetables, and even a choice of three different fresh salads. As if that’s not enough to whet your appetite, you’ll also love the Melting Pot’s wide selection of creamy, mouth-watering chocolate fondue desserts. In addition to the Melting Pot’s ever expanding fondue menu, there’s also a growing list of fine wines. So come, relax and dip into an exciting new experience at the Melting Pot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Melting Pot - Charlottesville - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
The Melting Pot - Charlottesville reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)romantic (64)good for groups (39)fit for foodies (34)notable wine list (32)neighborhood gem (13)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great but the smellOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We loved the food, our server was entertaining and friendly but they need vents. When we walked in the overpowering smell of the main dish fondue pots was overwhelming and almost made me gag. Once you sit down and have food in front of you you don't notice the overwhelming smells but as soon as our main dish was finished we realized that the smell that was so overpowering was simply the broth and combo of cooked meats. It was rough at first - despite the food being amazing. Best duck I've ever had.Special Features:
- Pricey NiceypatrickDined on 10/20/2014Very nice experience and you pay for it. Ignore the prices, plan to spend a couple of hundred dollars and have a great time. Food is wonderful and entertaining to fondue at your table. You will be stuffed.Special Features:
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014I loved eating at The Melting Pot! It was quite pricey, but it was probably the best food I have ever eaten!! We will save our money and be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal First Anniversary DinnerSpecialOccasionsDined on 10/18/2014We made reservations for our first anniversary and requested a quiet, corner table. We arrived early and sat at the bar until our table was ready. The bartender was extremely knowledgeable of the dinner menu as well which allowed us time to chose our selections. Our table was still ready 25 minutes early, much to our surprise and the staff had went above and beyond with a private booth up and around a corner complete with an anniversary card personal signed by the staff members. Our dining experience was over the top with the presentation, recommendations, and care to keep the items we were taking home with us chilled until we were ready to leave. We will be back for our anniversary next year. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary date nite!cupcakeDined on 10/13/2014my husband and i celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary here and it was wonderful.Special Features:
- Freakin' awesome!meltawayDined on 10/12/2014Excellent service, and amazing and fresh food. Delicious wine and cocktails. My friend and I simply LOVE celebrating our birthdays there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 10/10/2014In general we enjoyed the night out without children. The flavors of the food were great, as usual. The atmosphere was great. We have been to Melting Pot a number of times, and one of the biggest things we noticed was the price has increased, and the portion sizes have decreased of the cheese and chocolate. We had a ton of dippers left over with the cheese and the serving size of the chocolate was perfect, but the dippers were minimal. The service was okay, our server seemed distracted and even made a few negative comments about working there. And even the owner/manager served us and he seemed rushed. We left there still hungry, which has never happened before. Next time we will put the $120 to use at home b/c I can make it just as well.
- Fifty Years to CelebrateBrunchLovinWahooDined on 10/4/2014For my mom's 50th birthday we took her to the Melting Pot. She has wanted to go for as long as I can remember. The evening was perfect. There was a Birthday card waiting for her on the table, signed by the staff, when we arrived. Being out first experience, our wonderful waitress patiently explained how the menu works and made recommendations for us. We were there for about three hours and found that the entire experience was worth the extra money. We opted to have four courses, each of which were phenomenal. I will certainly go back with friends and family in the future. Thank you for a night that truly felt like we were celebrating her fifty years of life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melting PotReviewQueenBDined on 10/3/2014This is one of my fave restraunts! The atmosphere is amazing as is the food and service. This is a great place for family or a romantic spiced up date night! A must try !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectkowaletmDined on 10/2/2014The Melting Pot did an outstanding job, from the moment I made the reservation for my girlfriend's birthday, and was able to get the time(even with the traffic requiring a 30 minute delay for us) along with our favorite booth to when we left, stuffed and happy. Our waiter, Tim was the best server I've ever had and made the dining experience even better when the delicious food had us already. I couldn't recommended The Melting Pot more for anyone who hasn't been there. We make sure to get there at least a few times a year, even with our hour drive. PS- there is a cheap parking deck just a block away so you don't have to make a hike after you stuffed yourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yum Yum!KatherineDined on 9/28/2014With the exception of my friend never getting the water he asked for, or the clean plate he asked for, everything was fantastic!Special Features:
- Excellentk3g2momDined on 9/28/2014We really enjoyed our evening. The food was wonderful and the atmosphere great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!EricDMDined on 9/21/2014I took my girlfriend to The Melting Pot for her birthday after she spied it on a recent visit to Charlottesville. Although it was a bit above what I normally pay for evenings out, the quality of the food and the experience was definitely high enough to warrant it. I'd strongly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting to celebrate with a significant other, close friend, or family member. I imagine the experience would be just as good for larger groups as well, but I particularly enjoyed the privacy of our seating and attentiveness of the restaurant staff during our dinner for two experience.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceKatelynnDined on 9/19/2014I went here with my significant other for our monthly date night. The food and atmosphere were both fantastic, but what really stood out was the service. Our server, Jeffery, was engaging, thorough, accommodating and managed to find exactly the right frequency to visit our table. Also notable, though we were there during peak on a Friday night, food and drinks were prepared and delivered in a very timely manor. I would highly recommend this establishment. We were very satisfied.Special Features:
- disappointedbrokenheartedDined on 9/19/2014I Am A Huge Fan Of The Melting Pot Until Now. I Love The Specials They Run Especially LLC You Can Eat Cheese And Chocolate. The Service Trailed Off So Poorly That I Didn't Leave Full. Our waitress Was Wonderful But Spread Too Thin. My Experience Left Me Feeling Like They Were Only Interested In My Money. I Will Not Be Returning To The Charlottesville Location Again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014all tables should be booths. not a very good lay out but understand there isn't tons of room. didn't like the small plates for food or utencils placementSpecial Features:
- Simply the best!tazboneDined on 9/13/2014This was our fourth or fifth time to this restaurant. It always starts with the welcome from the doorman, then the manager. Derek, one of the owners was on duty this day. We were seated right by a window so we were able to watch the world pass by. Oh, and it was our anniversary too. Erik was our server and he was wonderful. Very quiet, very professional, very good at his job. The four-course meal was fantastic from start to stop. People from the area where we live would say that the dinner was very pricey, but I believe you get what you pay for and we were very satisfied. Once again, job well done Melting Pot! We look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- First Time and ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Service, including cooking directions, very good. Food seemed a bit pricey for what you get and the fact that you do some of the preparation yourself. Entrees prices not too bad, but serving was small (more on that later); appetizers and desserts seemed exorbitant. The dining experience was fun and made dinner more of an event than a meal. As noted, entree sizes were small (if pieced together my cut up filet mignon would have been the size of a very small steak). There is one advantage we realized--when you have to wait for your food to cook (two minutes for a piece of steak), you tend to eat slower and less, filling up without eating as much. Probably healthy. Wine prices seemed high--$38/bottle for standard Kendall Jackson chard.Special Features:
- Not a great experience for my 40thOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014I was there celebrating my 40th birthday with a small group. (3 couples) We ordered a bottle of nice white wine that was served warm. Ordering, serving and setting up the table/fondue seemed a little chaotic for the server. The chips/crackers that were part of our first course were stale. I ordered a tasting flight of wine. One wine should be served with each course. I had to ask for it once we were in the middle of our second course. The manager did offer to give me a second glass of one of the samples but that defeated the point of having the tasting. In general, I really enjoy the Melting Pot but this was a bit of a let down for an important event and a BIG bill.Special Features:
- Something new to experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Wait staff very friendly. Food was fresh. So much fun for a totally different kind of dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melting Pot Was a Great ChoicediningclubDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I and another couple have a kind of monthly dining club and plan an evening dinner once per month. The choice of restaurant alternates and this month it was my turn. My wife mentioned The Melting Pot and wondered if that might be a good idea. Neither she or the other couple had ever been to one...I've been to one in Richmond a few times as well as one in Stamford CT. I knew this would be a dining 'experience' for them and warned them they would have to work if they wanted to heat. We had a great time. The server was outstanding and the wine was extremely good. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone! Ask for Lisa as your server...it too will be an experience...Special Features:
- LynchburgGretnaCrewDined on 8/23/2014Great, freindly staff, helped us with menu, and very patient with us as we had a very busy talkative group of young girls who had never been here before. Enjoyed every minute of our 3 hours there! Great expereince and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent choiceAngieDined on 8/22/2014We had a wonderful experience at the Melting Pot. The food and service was superb! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting an enjoyable and unique dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!LillahDined on 8/16/2014We had an excellent experience at the Melting Pot recently. As it was our first time at the Melting Pot, our server was extremely helpful and personable in explaining the menu and the choices. There were six of us, four adults and two teens and we all enjoyed our choices immensely. The various entrees were perfect for everyone's different tastes. We all had the "four course experience" and that was wonderful. There was actually more food than we could handle, so maybe next time we will choose less food. We felt we were being taken care of by the staff too. The manager stopped by and introduced himself and the host did as well. All in all, it was all delicious and a fun time for our entire party. We look forward to another visit.Special Features:
- Lots of FunShippoDined on 8/15/2014Located in Downtown C-ville, the Melting Pot is a great place to go for special occasions. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and beverages they serve. A fair waring when getting the four course meal is that it is going to take some time to enjoy the meal. My wife and I spent almost two and a half hours eating our food and enjoying every bite. If you want to do something special but not have the whole four course meal I recommend getting one of the dessert fondues. They are delicious and certain to indulge anyone's sweet tooth.Special Features:
- One in a million.dbldboysDined on 8/10/2014My boyfriend and I went to the Melting Pot for our anniversary for the 1st time ever. As we walked in we both were timid thinking we were under dressed. As we were greeted and escorted to our table everyone was helpful, offered great recommendations and made us feel welcomed. We both were highly impressed and would recommend it hands down. The food, dessert, wine and service was out of this world. We were very impressed that the food was available at a timely manner so that we didn't feel rushed and could enjoy every minute. Thank you for making our 1st time amazing even going out of the way by giving us a "Happy Anniversary" card. We cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the whole experienceBullDined on 8/10/2014This was a unique experience, a little high priced but over all worth it. I would recommend this dinning establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Ladies' NightcheesenchocolateDined on 8/9/2014Came here for ladies' night last weekend, and could not have been more pleased. Tim was the most amazing waiter, recommended a wonderful bottle of Pino Grigio for the table, and he even laughed at our shenanegins! As always, the food was amazing, and the atmosphere was spot-on.Special Features:
- First time, very impressed!FoodaliciousOpinionDined on 8/8/2014This was mine and my wife's first time at the Melting Pot. I was a little hesitant because I had never had fondue before and didn't know what to expect. The waitress explained everything and once the meal got going it was outstanding. The atmosphere all the way down to the amazing drinks (I recommend the sophisticated sailor!) was just out of this world. Very good service and a great place to go for a romantic evening, first date, anniversary or just a date night with the hubby/wife.Special Features:
- Awesome as allwayslovetoeatDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I are only able treat ourselves to the Melting Pot once or twice a year but every time they seem to knock it out of the park. The food is outstanding and if you go away hungry it is your own fault. Servers are a knowledgeable, energetic, and accommodating. If you are looking for somewhere to go from in intimate special occasion to whooping it up with family, this place handles it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but priceyJman051587Dined on 8/3/2014While far too pricey to be an every day eatery, the Melting Pot's fondues are delicious. If you are careful you can get out without spending a fortune, but you'll want to when you taste the food. The food is top notch, the staff were great. The only downside was the booths were a little too small. We ate there for our anniversary and it was wonderful.Special Features:
- Long overdueFonduevirginDined on 8/2/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience. We have had our gift certificate for 2 years and were unable to get in sooner with our busy schedules. We live in Forest ,Va. It was well worth the drive & the wait. Everything was excellent. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Eveningout4funDined on 8/2/2014Very enjoyable evening with a friend. Since it was the first visit the choices were a little overwhelming. Got good recommendations from server.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This was our first visit to the Melting Pot and we specifically went to participate in Restaurant Week. We really enjoyed the whole experience and leisurely pace of the meal. Very friendly atmosphere - the managers and others stopped by the table to check if things were ok. There wasn't a separate Restaurant Week menu and our waitress seemed confused as to what was available (we were charged extra for an item she said was included). Additionally, I am a vegetarian and although there were veggie dishes, they had to be cooked in the same pot as the meat. We asked if we could have another but were told it was only one per table. We enjoyed our meals but we probably wouldn't return for dinner if not allowed to have (or purchase) another pot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014It was excellent.....food delicious and service outstanding!!Special Features:
- Great for romantic dinnerLizzyMarieDined on 7/25/2014First time to the Melting Pot. It was very different but great! The food was delicious, the service was great, even the owner stopped by to say hi. Loved where they sat us. Little hidey hole that is perfect for a romantic evening out.Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysCheetahgirl22Dined on 7/22/2014The restaurant week menu was amazing and we had a great time conversing and enjoying the wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencecynnovaVIPDined on 7/22/2014I came here with a party of 6 for restaurant week in Charlottesville. Our server was patient despite our group's (but mostly my) tendency to blabber and be confused about how the restaurant week deal was supposed to work (it was my first time there). My husband has a shrimp allergy and they were kind enough to sub the shrimp included in his portion of the meal for more of the other meats. All of the fondues we had (cheese, oil, chocolate) tasted great and no one left the restaurant hungry.Special Features:
- goodCVSRNDined on 7/20/2014Food was plentiful. Server was excellent, very knowledgeable. Staff very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Nice spotfoodDined on 7/20/2014Overall for our first time, the location was great. Our main complaint was that we asked our waitress for water three times throughout the meal and did not receive it until we received the bill. The food and experience was great if you enjoy fondue dining.Special Features: