The Melting Pot - Ann Arbor
309 South Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Melting Pot - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meltingpot.com/annarbor-mi/welcome
- Phone: 7346220055
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Melting Pot is the perfect destination for all of your large party needs. Whether it’s a feast with friends or a corporate gathering our private dining room offers the atmosphere and functionality you need to enjoy a Perfect Night Out.
Party Room Features Include: Seating for up to 36 guests, frosted glass doors for privacy, projection screen for presentations, structured seating layout perfect for guest speakers.
- Cross Street: Liberty & William Streets
- Public Transit: The City of Ann Arbor's Transportation Authority Terminal is located behind the restaurant, providing bus transit services throughout the area.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking and public parking lots are available throughout the area. Closest parking lot is the 4th and Williams Street structure.
A word from The Melting Pot - Ann Arbor
Welcome to The Melting Pot. We offer a truly unique dining experience created by the art of fondue. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, anniversary, a long overdue date night, or celebrating with a group, The Melting Pot Restaurant is perfect for any occasion. Tailor your visit with a four-course dining experience including cheese fondue, salad, entree and dessert. Or, come by for fondue cheese paired with that perfect glass of wine from our extensive selection. That's not to say, we haven't had more than a few stop by to satisfy that chocolate craving after a movie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Melting Pot - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Melting Pot - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (60)romantic (46)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (23)kid-friendly (12)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (9)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Horrible serviceflowergirl101Dined on 9/9/2014When we first got there we waited 10 minutes for our waiter. He finally came over to us didn't really explain the menu, we were confused and felt like we were getting no help. people had walked in after us and we're getting full service. So we decided to get up and leave because we had 20 minutes with no service I would not recommend this place to any one.Special Features:
- Worst service ever!Pebbles2utahDined on 8/31/2014It took 40 minutes to get a club soda! Waiter didn't bring it until I was finished with the first course! No water given either! I was totally parched! We had to ask another server to get our waiter as he only cleared half of the table after the main course and we had to sit and smell the used cooking oils and broth for about 30 minutes! Totally ruined any good vibes we created over the main course. The waiter was friendly enough when he remember he was working for tips but it didn't come naturally. The manager just ignored the situation! Too bad as other tables had good service and an enjoyable time! This is the third time we have been there and have never gotten the one good wait person they have! Too bad! Could have a grand!Special Features:
- Great experienceLisaBDined on 8/30/2014We had a great experience dining at The Melting Pot for our anniversary. It is very pricey, but fun and the food is delicious. Plan to spend $100+/couple before tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for teensjanetloveDined on 8/30/2014We celebrated my daughter's 16th birthday with a couple of her friends. I must say they had a wonderful time. I did find the portions a bit small for the price paid and there was no birthday special as most restaurants in the downtown area. Overall they had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!YearolderDined on 8/17/2014Went for a Birthday celebration....food was fun and delicious, from the cheese, main course and especially the S'more dessert fondues...don't be shocked by the final bill, it is very pricey....we had a gift card and a Groupon certificate, which made it affordable for a extra special night out...it's a fun place if you have never beenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful Dining ExperienceTaciDined on 8/15/2014We had the worst restaurant experience ever on Friday night. My parents were visiting and had never been to a Melting Pot so we drove 45 mins to Ann Arbor. The service was very SLOW, we didn't get seasonings, we didn't get silverware for the sauces, we got mushrooms in the veggie bowl even though we told them about a severe allergy, we felt rushed (we left 11:30pm due to slow service!), when we got our bill no one came to cash us out so I had to walk it to the bar and the person helping me was very rude, I could go on and on about the uncomfortable dinner we had that night. Frankly I was embarrased that I had brought my parents to such an awful atmosphere. When you are paying for $35-40/person, you expect good if not great service.
- Over pricedNicsmomDined on 8/15/2014We were seated in a cozy and secluded nook for two. That is a very nice feature for date night. However, the matte black walls really need some TLC. When you are in your booth, it is rather closed in and hard not to notice the grunge on the walls that surround you. The food is always high quality, but portions are modest. Cheese fondue was yummy...but $16 for melted cheese and bread for 2? Salad..scant but tasty. Meats and veg...high quality, dipping sauces in good variety. We used hot oil to cook....always feels a little dangerous...like a fire extinguisher should be at hand! Now they charge $6 extra for this cooking style! The meal with cheese and oil is pretty filling. Then the chocolate fondue! Rich in flavor and cost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten FreeMindyLouDined on 7/27/2014While the menu may not have designated gluten free options, the server was excellent at letting me know what can be made GF or what I need to avoid! The food was amazing!!! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeMichDined on 7/27/2014We dined here for a fun birthday dinner. We had a college kids and adults and we enjoyed preparing, eating and all doing something together. Even my husband, who didn't like the idea of having to pay to cook his own dinner enjoyed it! The waitress was very patient and helpful. She also was fun and entertaining. The whole crew works well together although it did take a while to get drinks. We used the four person Groupon and added two four course dinners. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Group experience is badgubbypieDined on 7/27/2014We went there with the four individual entree groupon. It was not good at all and the server charged us extra. The entrees are pretty small and it was not filling. We also had a birthday girl but they declined to do anything nice.Special Features:
- DisappointingsaddinerDined on 7/27/2014We had a group on for a salad and the fondue by you entrée. I guess we didn't realize that the fondue by you means they bring you chunks of plain, often bland, raw meat and you cook it yourself. They push you into paying extra for a pot of oil and battering, but it was probably better than the other cooking styles. Only one of the batters was any good. In the end, we had bland, greasy food. The salads were excellent. The strawberry caprese salad might be the best salad I have ever eaten, but everyone enjoyed their salad. Our waiter was probably the worst waiter I have ever had. I will likely never go again, although if I did it would probably only be for cheese or chocolate.Special Features:
- Nothing specialDisappointedDined on 7/24/2014I first went to a Melting Pot in Florida in the early 1990's and it was an exceptional experience. Unfortunately, it seems that with expansion comes lower quality and more of a "cookie cutter-packaged" feel. We love fondue, especially cheese and this left much to be desired. The salad, entree and dessert were good. We visited this Melting Pot to celebrate our anniversary and although the occasion was special, the dining experience wasn't particularly special. I'm not sure we would return.Special Features:
- Great, Great, Great!!!!BigBilly0409Dined on 7/18/2014Went to the Ann Arbor location for an anniversary dinner (even though the Novi location is closer, we love the Ann Arbor Melting Pot far more). We had reservations, got in, got seated and had a wonderful dinner. Food was great, service was excellent and we were given a private booth for our dinner, so a nice, quiet special dinner. An excellent place for a romantic/special occasion dinner!!!Special Features:
- YUMyummyinmytummyDined on 7/17/2014love the cheese and chocolate option. The spinach artichoke cheese is a must!! As is the chocolate "The Original" ! Peanut butter and chocolate is amazing together. Not crazy about the marshmallows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eatlikestoeatDined on 7/14/2014The concept of fondue is such fun, having to make/cook your own food and use whatever sauces you want is such fun. The Melting Pot is a great spot to have a quiet, romantic dinner or go with a bunch of friends after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014We had never been here before and decided to try it for our anniversary, we are extremely happy with our choice. The staff was outstanding, great atmosphere, awesome food. Great anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Groupon Meal for TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014My husband and I purchased a Groupon for 2 salads and 2 Fondue-by-You meals (note: valid only Sun-Fri). We made reservations for an early Sunday dinner -- wasn't crowded and were seated in a more quiet area. It's amazing how much space they have (many different rooms/multiple floors). Server was really knowledgeable and was able to make recommendations re: cooking style (and recommended cook time for items; 5 different sauces), based on what food items we chose. We got Coq Au Vin since most of our items were meat; also comes w/ bowl of mushrooms/broccoli to cook. We ended up adding on a dessert fondue at the end (caramel nut: chocolate, caramel, peanut butter) -- very sweet (esp. depending on dipper) but delicious. Overall, great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Jen19Dined on 7/12/2014We came just for dessert, although I have been here for a full dining experience and that was amazing as well. The options are to either just do cheese or dessert or go for the full meal. The dessert was wonderful and our server was so pleasant.Special Features:
- NOT WORTH THE MONEYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014I have never eaten at a Melting Pot before and chose it for a special occasion. The fondue was prepared at the table with shredded cheese rather than a traditional preparation. The bread that was served with it was stale and they evidently serve frozen broccoli as our broccoli was still partially frozen. I ordered the "Fondue by You" entree with andouille sausage as one of my choices. It was just spicier sausage like something that can be found at the grocery store (instead of a traditional style). I really liked the Gorgonzola sauce, but the other sauces were nothing special. The ONLY saving grace to this place was the service. It was beyond excellent. I can melt cheese in a pot at home. This place is not worth the money. AVOID.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceAAMPDined on 7/4/2014Four course experience is worth its price. Dessert is the best part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NothappyDined on 7/4/2014Not all that happy. Had a new server. Service was average at best. Cheese fondue was horrible.
- Perfect Special Occasion PlaceAnnualDinerDined on 6/27/2014I go to The Melting Pot every year for my birthday, and this time was my twelfth year. I've been to one in Missouri, one in New Mexico, and now this one in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Overall, it's always a pleasant experience. The food is always delicious, and, being a fondue restaurant, it provides the eaters with an activity while they dine. My only complaint this time around was our waiter. I think he must have been new, or just bad at his job, because there were several aspects of the dining experience that were lacking.But one waiter doesn't ruin the restaurant, so I gave The Melting Pot a 5-star rating. That's what it deserves.Special Features:
- Terrible experincemisscoloradoDined on 6/27/2014It was our Anniversary and I booked 2 weeks in advance hoping to get great service/seats what an embarrassment. We were given the top floor post knee surgery, it was hot and the sun was in our faces. 30 mins for a drink, and then he only brought one for my husband. He brought back a different menu (for the beer/fondue, requested in the beginning) only showing 2 of the items from the previous menu. First round of food 1+hour, a tiny ramekin of bottom of the bag carrots cauliflower and broccoli, enough to only feed one person. He said there was a large party and the other waiters took all the food? After he disappeared for another 30 mins to get our salads we cut our looses and went downstairs to let the manager know we had enough.
- great!megadeeDined on 6/23/2014They were so nice even though we were there late in the evening. the food was great, service impeccable. would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceIrun2eatDined on 6/23/2014Overall we had a great dinner, it was very good food & the atmosphere was romantic. We did the four-course meal & it was a lot of fun, although the desert was our favorite fondue. If you can ask for an experienced server! We had a new server & he had a very hard time explaining the dinner & didn't give very good direction. We had to ask another server to help us out. I would suggest going in for the desert fondue only if you don't want to spend a ton of time & money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysEricaDined on 6/23/2014I've been here on girls nights, dates, and double dates and it's always amazing. We had a first timer with us this time and our waiter kept everything going and did a really great job. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch in melting potrestaurantweektryDined on 6/23/2014A lovely place to visit again with good food and nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKDatenightDinersDined on 6/21/2014Hard to rank The Melting Pot today...the food was good- normal, perhaps downsized a bit from some of our trips? Quantity of the 4 course meal overall was too much to eat even today. Waiter was great - seemed to know the product and although new, kept us taken care of. Ambiance was OK...nothing special?? I remember our first visit, and the atmosphere...it was amazing and "different". It was dark, and the lights played off the wall to create a dramatic affect...just missing something - people?? There were a lot of us in a small area...but overall, I think empty for a Saturday night? Ann Arbor was crazy that evening...but not here. Love the white chocolate crème Brule fondue. Overall, this is too pricy for an OK dinner - just OK.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner reviewAndrews17thDined on 6/18/2014Our dinner at the Melting Pot was wonderful! We decided to take our Son and his friend for his 17th Birthday and we had a memorable evening of great service (Austin was new but was great!), fabulous food, and lots of time to have wonderful conversation around the table. The only "tidbit" I would like to mention is to make sure the "melting pot" is hot enough when offering the first entrée, the cheese. Thank you for a wonderful evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jen BacJenBDined on 6/14/2014We had an amazing time for a special occasion...service was amazing!Special Features:
- Latest Dining at The M.P.MeltingPotLoverDined on 6/13/2014My most recent visit to the Melting Pot was as great as any previous visit before this past time. The food is always perfect. My girlfriend and I split one 4-course meal, and I did not eat again until late in the next morning!! I can appreciate quality foods that keep my stomach happy for a long amount of time. The melting pot is the very best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/10/2014The food and the service were excellent. We were seated in the back of the restaurant in the "private" booth area. There was very little background noise and no music, so it made it a little awkward because we could hear the couple next to us clearly. Other than that, I thought it was great. Probably not a place where I would ever become a regular, but the experience is unique and something fun/different to do every once in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Birthday Dessert HereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014We stopped in for dessert. We arrived earlier than our reservation time, but they were happy to seat us. We requested to sit at the bar, which was nearly empty. Our chocolate fondue arrived promptly and was delicious, as always. What's not to like!Special Features:
- Good food Good serviceSublime311Dined on 5/31/2014Been to the Ann Arbor location twice now, and both times have been good experiences. Plan on 2-3 hours if you do the 4 course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place with great food!Dave415Dined on 5/31/2014This was our first time eating here, and the food was excellent! We were celebrating our anniversary, and we were seated in a little corner table for two. The noise level was relatively low, except sound did travel quite a bit, and we could not only here noise coming from the nearby kitchen/prep area, but also the conversation coming from the one other table in our area. Needless to say, we felt like we had to keep our own conversation very low to keep others from listening in on us. However, the fondue dining experience was fun and very delicious! I highly recommend it to anyone who has not tried it. I feel that the meal was a bit pricey for what you get, but you walk away very full. Great place to go just for dessert also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Group SettingshelovesfoodDined on 5/30/2014Always a good option for a group with varied tastes and food needs - we had 6 people for a birthday dinner: one with nut allergies, one who's diabetic, one who hates fish, one who hates steak, 3 who like things extremely spicy and 3 who don't like much spice at all. And yet, with two cook-tops, we were able to please everyone, have good fun, good food and good drinks!Special Features:
- Great night outBillyIsTallDined on 5/30/2014We decided to take our son out for his pre-school graduation day. He loved the whole meal. It was really fun watching his enjoyment trying everything. My wife and I have been to Melting Pot a bunch of times and have never been disappointedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Our first time here and we were pleased in every aspect! We were seated promptly, thanks to having made a reservation!!, and appreciate the online method of making this reservation. Every person working here who spoke with us was friendly, interested in us, and very helpful. We had an outstanding three hour experience and felt encouraged to continue this leisurely pace. Much appreciated in these days where so many restaurants tend to want to rush you in and rush you out!Special Features:
- The following 223 reviews are from the The Melting Pot - Ann Arbor reviews archive.
- little food and too expensive2expensiveDined on 5/9/2014The portion size of any meal is pathetic. There is no way that anyone would walk out full. You pay around $24 for 10 tiny pieces of any entree'. Never coming back.
- CouplesNoteinstyleDined on 5/7/2014Not for first date. But if the couples are fun together. It's number one choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.