The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant
2323 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thematterhornrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4158856116x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00PM - 8:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, Swiss
- Executive Chef: Andrew James Thorpe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events:
A word from The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant
Located in the heart of San Francisco the Restaurant serves authentic Swiss cuisine in a smart Alpine setting. Our carefully crafted Fondue menu, extensive wine selections, impeccable service and elegant, yet cozy atmosphere brings the best of Switzerland to your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (11)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (8)romantic (8)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014Dined here as a group to celebrate a birthday and we were impressed! High quality cheese in the fondue, delicious bread, oil fondue with chunks of beef and pork, huge variety of sauces for the meat and various other accompaniments. Service was solid and they have a very reasonable wine list. I am so glad I found out about this place and will definitely revisit for a regular dinner night out or when guests come to visit.Special Features:
- Loves Fondue !JeanVIPDined on 8/10/2014Our family absolutely loves this restaurant. The cheese fondue made with a combination of gruyere' and Emmenthaler cheeses was just fabulous. It is served with crusty bread, small potatoes and small sausages to dip with. For dessert, we had the dark chocolate fondue served with 8 different fruits. What a way to celebrate a special birthday !!! We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceDiner28Dined on 8/6/2014This is a great find in San Francisco--if you like fondue this is the place. We have eaten fondue in Switzerland and even make it at home, but it's never as good as it is here. They offer a variety of fondue's for meat eaters and vegetarians. I love all of the side dishes for dipping and the variety overall. The ambiance is cute, maybe a little kitchy, but it's a special place and they treat you special too. Can't say enough good things about the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fondue, nice winemutantDined on 7/22/2014Classic fondue, good quantity, get mushrooms and sausage side, put mushrooms in cheese like they suggest, remember to stir! Fun tasty and relaxing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but....MikeVIPDined on 7/19/2014Matterhorn, is a fantastic restaurant, excellent food. Finding Swiss food in San Francisco is a short list, so Matterhorn is a unique experience. Having said all that, the staff is way too small to service the restaurant if it is busy. Not to say that they do not try hard, very hard actually, but if the restaurant is busy they simply can't provide much service. So, I would rate Matterhorn has a great place to try out and enjoy the food, just be prepared if they are busy.Special Features:
- Tasty, authentic and charmingKimmy28Dined on 7/8/2014The fondue here NEVER disappoints. The owner is always there and is a delightful server that knows so much about both the menu and the wine list and pairings. There is no substitute for quality, and the quality of the food and produce used at Matterhorn is impeccable. I highly recommend this place for anyone that likes cheese , bread and wine. The meat fondue is yummy too, but I'm a sucker for cheese and of the 4 different types of fondue I've tried EVERY SINGLE one was great! It's definitely not a cheap meal, but worth it in the long run as you leave satisfied and in much need of a nap.Special Features:
- FromtheCityDined on 6/20/2014Great restaurant for date night or a getting together with a group of friends~Special Features:
- The following 152 reviews are from the The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great food and always delightfulDinerVIPDined on 4/27/2014As usual, we had a fabulous evening at The Matterhorn. The staff is so welcoming and helpful, and the food is always so fresh, and beautifully prepared and presented. It is always a fun feast and a great spot for any celebration!Special Features:
- Dining à la suisse !RyanDined on 4/4/2014Simply impeccable service, food, and ambience; like only the Swiss can pull off. Thank you for making our anniversary that much more special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliversdiner1Dined on 3/30/2014Matterhorn delivers, it was exactly as advertised. Fun, great classic fondue. Gracious friendly staff.Special Features:
- We love the matterhornRjl123Dined on 3/29/2014The food at the Matterhorn is always delicious, and the service always makes you feel like you are a very valuable customer. The manager/owner takes meticulous care to see that everyone in the restaurant has a wonderful dining experience from start to end. We are never disappointed nor our our friends who we take to this restaurant on special occasions. Go, indulge, and enjoy! You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Beautiful SwissElkDinerDined on 3/16/2014Great food! Beautiful Swiss decor. Friendly staff. It was such a nice experience, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort Food to warm your SoulGTansecoVIPDined on 3/8/2014The gold standard in Fondues. As usual we enjoyed the great dinner. This time we tried the "spicy one" and we practically scrapped the bowl. Thank you for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's alright, lots of fonduesMarcVIPDined on 3/6/2014The food in general was alright, the quality of the fondue was good, they offer a lot of different ones, the sides were just average You get a large variety of sauces for the meat fondue, the cheese fondue is all about the cheeses you select If you're looking for a good fondue, go there, if you don't care that much about the fondue, but you want to enjoy a great dinner and great service, there are places that might suit you more
- I was in the mood for fondue,HleighVIPDined on 2/22/2014I was in the mood for fondue, perhaps the cowbells of Sochi Olympics reminded me of my trip to Switzerland a long time ago, and the fondue I enjoyed there. I was not disappointed! Very clean (of course, this is Swiss) restaurant, very pleasant waitress, and excellent fondues. We had the Original cheese fondue as appetizer and the beef fondue (Bacchus, which is the Chinois with wine and vegetable broth) for two. The wait time between the drinks and the food was quite long (we thought there might have been some mishap in the kitchen). Overall, we enjoyed our visit to Matterhorn greatly.Special Features:
- return tripperWeldonDined on 2/22/2014this is our 7th or 8h time coming to Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant and the quality has not only been consistent but the beef was delightful. Very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place!ChaaDined on 2/20/2014Nice place of Fondues directly from Switzerland. The food is good, the setting is typical and the owner is very nice. The fondue is not exactly like in Switzerland but it is good! I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect winter treatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/4/2014Delicious fondues, warm and professional service, great wine list, and authentic Swiss ambience still make Matterhorn the place to go for a very pleasant dining experience in the winter or at any time of year.Special Features:
- Perfect for those into isolationcawineguyVIPDined on 1/29/2014If you enjoy being the only person or party in a restaurant, this might be perfect for you. The interior looks like something out of a movie set - the restaurant has all kinds of Swiss decorations; a giant Alphorn on the wall, masks of demons to scare away the snow, wooden tables and hard wooden chairs... The one thing it does not have is customers. Another thing missing is a chef. The restaurant website warns that "All dishes may not be available at all times" - this is because they do not have a regular chef. The only dish always available is any form of fondue. To make fondue, there is no need for a chef; cut up bread, throw oil or cheese into a pot, and serve. The fondue is tasty, but the solitude is creepy.
- first time fonduefoodDined on 1/10/2014my first time here was amazing, also my first time ever having fondue. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original aka cheese fondue everyone associates fondue with but the meat fondue. oh. my. god. and all the little sides it comes with. get it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/8/2014My 2 adult children and I took my husband out for a fondue birthday celebration. The cheese fondue and meat fondue choices are portions for 2 people, so we chose one of each. The Ooh-La-La cheese was delicious with the bread. We were glad we ordered apples to dip as well. The wine/broth beef was also wonderful; we supplemented with scallops and prawns. Dessert was chocolate of course; we were told to order for 2, not 4, since the portions were large. We're glad we did. Overall, all the food was fresh, tasty, and well-presented. We definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost SwitzerlandnickzenDined on 12/27/2013Believe 2 swiss natives, fondue (cheese one) in very very very close to the original swiss one !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was quite disappointed byalltikiDined on 12/20/2013I was quite disappointed by our experience. The service was close to nil and the fondue burned since no one even bothered to check on us.
- Authentic Swiss FondueSusanVIPDined on 12/15/2013You owe it to yourself to go to The Matterhorn and experience an authentic Swiss fondue. Walking in to this restaurant is like walking in to a restaurant in Switzerland. The fondue is delicious, and there are several combinations from which to choose. Each is served with an absolutely delicious, fresh salad, with pomegranate seeds and orange slices and a great dressing. Desserts are equally delicioous: the chocolate mousse is probably better than any chocolate mousse you've ever had, and the Swiss chocolates are so much better than anything Godiva could hope to make. Do yourself a favor and go to The Matterhorn.Special Features:
- Unique and RelaxingFarahysvetteDined on 12/14/2013The menu is very specific which seems like a drawback at first but winds up yielding a pleasantly unique experience. The food is fresh and the ambiance is unparalleled. They have great wine pairings for the fondue (which is unbelievable and not only cheese). Ended up enjoying 3 hours here. Service was great, welcoming and very efficient. The price is moderate but well worth it, as the dinner feels more like an event. This restaurant is both an adventure and a homey retreat. A beautiful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondue and fun!Rjl123Dined on 12/14/2013This is definitely a special occasion restaurant, as all that bread and cheese can' t be eaten daily...but I would if I could! Delicious food, unique atmosphere, friendly service. Parking in neighborhood is tough, but $10 valet is available and well worth the price for the convenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Slow ServiceJohnCVIPDined on 12/14/2013We were at the restaurant early to have dinner before the symphony. After 2 hours we still hadn't had not ordered desert which is one of the reasons my wife wanted to come here. We ran out of tome due to very slow service. That does it for this restaurant.
- Always dependableJimHVIPDined on 11/23/2013Whenever I have a hankering for good fondue, this is my "go to" place. The fondue is always high quality, the setting very comfortable and the service friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for small groupsLufeDined on 11/19/2013The Matterhorn is a great choice for a gathering with friends. The food is perfect and the place is very comfortable. I recommend to all my friends - even the most picky ones. They won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Swiss LodgemariniteVIPDined on 11/8/2013We love the Matterhorn! Excellent food, charming atmosphere almost as if you've been transported to a alpine ski lodge. The owner is always there and so accommodating. Big bonus is the valet parking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fondue in a charming settingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2013Matterhorn is a gem. very few Swiss (or German) restaurants in the City these days. Matterhorn is terrific. mushroom soup was delicious, the cheese fondue was wonderful and the swiss white wine the perfect compliment to the meal. we normally eat close to the Opera/Symphony, but Matterhorn isn't far away on Van Ness, and it's perfect for after a matinee performance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for fondue fansJimHVIPDined on 9/21/2013If you like fondue, this is absolutley the place to go. The atmosphere is quaint Swiss, the service is excellent, and both the meat and cheese fondue superb. The desserts are also excellent. If you get there early -- generally before 6:30, there is a more wide ranging Swiss menu available. My wife really enjoys that -- but I generally stick with the cheese fondue (and, yes, you can get fondue for one person).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grossly overpriced. VirtuallySweetBTVIPDined on 9/13/2013Grossly overpriced. Virtually everything costs extra. NOT how fondue should be. Grudgingly acknowledge that cheese and chocolate fondues were tasty, but resent paying $4 extra for a sliced apple to dip in the cheese and where were the veggies?
- A Family TraditionBestefarDined on 8/16/2013Every August, our Granddaughter and family visits us. She loves fondue, and the Matterhorn does fondue best, so we always go there for dinner on the last evening.of their visit. Of course we also visit for a treat at other times, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure!DinerVIPDined on 8/15/2013We treat ourselves to the Matterhorn every so often and they always do a great job, make us feel welcome and the food remains outstanding.Special Features:
- Good Fondue. Period.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/11/2013Want something different? Crave fondue? Matterhorn has it. And the chocolate fondue dessert was outstanding. But everyone better be ready to dip-n-eat because there are no other options. We had the traditional cheese blend and it was delicious. I expect the other cheeses are just as good. Service was fine: nothing special, but no complaints. The room is a little off, with uncomfortable wood banquette, but they do try to make it look Swiss. Our teenager loved it as a participatory experience. But don't bring young kids unless they are old enough to respect the flame on the table and the hot broth, cheese or oil on the flame. We might go back but are more likely to dig out that old fondue pot and do this at home.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to go!!RedhoodDined on 8/9/2013My girlfriend and I were looking for local restaurants to have lunch or dinner, we went elsewhere for lunch but were intrigued that there was a nice fondue restaurant and decided to make reservations for dinner. For a Friday early evening (645pm),it was relatively open seating. The service was great, the food was even better! We are vegetarian and they still had a good selection of vegetables to dip in the fondue. If you eat meat, you can cook your own steak or chicken right at your table!! The only downside for me was the tap beer selection; there was two Swiss beers (both of which I've never had and they were still tasty)but I would have liked to see a better selection of other craft beers, even if they were all Swiss beer. Great overall!Special Features:
- Classic Swiss CuisineSteveDined on 8/2/2013This classic Swiss food. Original and complete. The hospitality is great, the food, fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fondue in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/30/2013The Melting Pot is a joke compared to the Fondue at The Matterhorn. I have been coming to this resturant for a decade with my family and its the only place we go to for Fondue unless we make it at home (we are swiss)Special Features:
- good cheese, more varietydaniDined on 7/23/2013Sad to see there were not many people in the restaurant, very good fondueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.