The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant
2323 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thematterhornrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4158856116x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00PM - 8:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, Swiss
- Executive Chef: Andrew James Thorpe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events:
A word from The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant
Located in the heart of San Francisco the Restaurant serves authentic Swiss cuisine in a smart Alpine setting. Our carefully crafted Fondue menu, extensive wine selections, impeccable service and elegant, yet cozy atmosphere brings the best of Switzerland to your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (16)good for groups (13)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (11)notable wine list (9)fit for foodies (9)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- We love The MatterhornOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I eat here occasionally and have always enjoyed it. The food is delicious and the staff is wonderful. This time, we took our 11 year old daughter and the staff made it so nice for her. A fun evening.Special Features:
- Great Fondue but menu needs moreMelissaDined on 10/10/2014The fondue was excellent and the atmosphere in the restaurant was very charming. The two complaints I had were that the do not have any vegetables for dipping and we wanted to order the beef for one (since I do not eat meat) but they don't sell it that way. I wasn't willing to pay for two servings and waste the rest so my husband didn't get to try it.Special Features:
- great fondue experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We were only in San Francisco for four days so needed to make the most of every experience and every meal time! The food here was delicious and I've never seen such an extensive fondue menu! The service was so friendly and they didn't rush us so we enjoyed an evening of cheese and wine at our leisure. Thanks for a perfect end to our perfect holiday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedtastebudsVIPDined on 9/14/2014Not sure if it was an off day but we were disappointed that the fondue was not cheesy. It was more flour base than anything. We were looking forward to it due to the good reviews and we are fondue fanatics so quite diappointed to have a bad experience
- ***** service, great 25+ yrs laterMarindocVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a physically handicapped couple with us and everyone from valet to waitperson to owner were accommodating even walking us to the car! Staff was helpful in describing dishes,, selection of broths for meat, side sauces, and selection of wine. Probably the most attentive, caring restaurant I've been to in past 10 years! While $48/cpl. on the surface seems pricey, you really get your moneys' worth. Included is a nicely dressed salad, an ample supply of well marbled sliced beef, fantastic roast potatoes, a myriad of 6 sauces (curry, lingonberry, horseradish were my favorites with paprika for spice lovers) and condiments including mushrooms, cornichons set the scene. Save room for the apfelstrudel, or chocolate fondue. Deserves ***** !!Special Features:
- Great take on fonduemsh0ckDined on 9/6/2014Main course and cheese come at the same time - something I've never experienced before at a fondue restaurant but actually enjoyed! Only one option for chocolate. Atmosphere is top-notch and quiet, although the bar was relatively empty on a Saturday night. Love that the beef is sliced for the main course, so much easier to cook than chunks. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Yummy Fondue!inkyDined on 9/6/2014This place is great! Takes us right back to all the great places we have visited in Switzerland, it's like a mini-vacation. Have a cheese fondue to start, and a Beef Bourgionon for a entree, if there are 4 of you this is a good choice. we added the alpine meat platter with our cheese fondue and it was a great suppliment. Brought my parents here for a big anniversary weekend and they had a great time. Everyone was very friendly and the service is empecable. Try the swiss wines too, they we very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sister's BirthdayHcoateDined on 8/30/2014I reserved a table for 10 last minute for my sister's birthday. Staff said no problem and catered to our table very well. There were many first time fonduers at the table and the waitstaff was very patient with explaining how best to do it. Food was excellent in quality and fairly priced in accordance with the type of restaurant. Would highly reccommend, especially for large groups and special occasions. Thanks Matterhorn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014The food was disappointing. Traditional cheese fondue seemed sort of diluted. We also had beef fondue with the veg and wine broth....could not tell there was much wine at all.
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014Dined here as a group to celebrate a birthday and we were impressed! High quality cheese in the fondue, delicious bread, oil fondue with chunks of beef and pork, huge variety of sauces for the meat and various other accompaniments. Service was solid and they have a very reasonable wine list. I am so glad I found out about this place and will definitely revisit for a regular dinner night out or when guests come to visit.Special Features:
- Loves Fondue !JeanVIPDined on 8/10/2014Our family absolutely loves this restaurant. The cheese fondue made with a combination of gruyere' and Emmenthaler cheeses was just fabulous. It is served with crusty bread, small potatoes and small sausages to dip with. For dessert, we had the dark chocolate fondue served with 8 different fruits. What a way to celebrate a special birthday !!! We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceDiner28Dined on 8/6/2014This is a great find in San Francisco--if you like fondue this is the place. We have eaten fondue in Switzerland and even make it at home, but it's never as good as it is here. They offer a variety of fondue's for meat eaters and vegetarians. I love all of the side dishes for dipping and the variety overall. The ambiance is cute, maybe a little kitchy, but it's a special place and they treat you special too. Can't say enough good things about the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fondue, nice winemutantDined on 7/22/2014Classic fondue, good quantity, get mushrooms and sausage side, put mushrooms in cheese like they suggest, remember to stir! Fun tasty and relaxing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but....MikeVIPDined on 7/19/2014Matterhorn, is a fantastic restaurant, excellent food. Finding Swiss food in San Francisco is a short list, so Matterhorn is a unique experience. Having said all that, the staff is way too small to service the restaurant if it is busy. Not to say that they do not try hard, very hard actually, but if the restaurant is busy they simply can't provide much service. So, I would rate Matterhorn has a great place to try out and enjoy the food, just be prepared if they are busy.Special Features:
- Tasty, authentic and charmingKimmy28VIPDined on 7/8/2014The fondue here NEVER disappoints. The owner is always there and is a delightful server that knows so much about both the menu and the wine list and pairings. There is no substitute for quality, and the quality of the food and produce used at Matterhorn is impeccable. I highly recommend this place for anyone that likes cheese , bread and wine. The meat fondue is yummy too, but I'm a sucker for cheese and of the 4 different types of fondue I've tried EVERY SINGLE one was great! It's definitely not a cheap meal, but worth it in the long run as you leave satisfied and in much need of a nap.Special Features:
- The following 153 reviews are from the The Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant reviews archive.
- FromtheCityDined on 6/20/2014Great restaurant for date night or a getting together with a group of friends~Special Features:
- Great food and always delightfulDinerVIPDined on 4/27/2014As usual, we had a fabulous evening at The Matterhorn. The staff is so welcoming and helpful, and the food is always so fresh, and beautifully prepared and presented. It is always a fun feast and a great spot for any celebration!Special Features:
- Dining à la suisse !RyanDined on 4/4/2014Simply impeccable service, food, and ambience; like only the Swiss can pull off. Thank you for making our anniversary that much more special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliversdiner1Dined on 3/30/2014Matterhorn delivers, it was exactly as advertised. Fun, great classic fondue. Gracious friendly staff.Special Features:
- We love the matterhornRjl123Dined on 3/29/2014The food at the Matterhorn is always delicious, and the service always makes you feel like you are a very valuable customer. The manager/owner takes meticulous care to see that everyone in the restaurant has a wonderful dining experience from start to end. We are never disappointed nor our our friends who we take to this restaurant on special occasions. Go, indulge, and enjoy! You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Beautiful SwissElkDinerDined on 3/16/2014Great food! Beautiful Swiss decor. Friendly staff. It was such a nice experience, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort Food to warm your SoulGTansecoVIPDined on 3/8/2014The gold standard in Fondues. As usual we enjoyed the great dinner. This time we tried the "spicy one" and we practically scrapped the bowl. Thank you for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's alright, lots of fonduesMarcVIPDined on 3/6/2014The food in general was alright, the quality of the fondue was good, they offer a lot of different ones, the sides were just average You get a large variety of sauces for the meat fondue, the cheese fondue is all about the cheeses you select If you're looking for a good fondue, go there, if you don't care that much about the fondue, but you want to enjoy a great dinner and great service, there are places that might suit you more
- I was in the mood for fondue,HleighVIPDined on 2/22/2014I was in the mood for fondue, perhaps the cowbells of Sochi Olympics reminded me of my trip to Switzerland a long time ago, and the fondue I enjoyed there. I was not disappointed! Very clean (of course, this is Swiss) restaurant, very pleasant waitress, and excellent fondues. We had the Original cheese fondue as appetizer and the beef fondue (Bacchus, which is the Chinois with wine and vegetable broth) for two. The wait time between the drinks and the food was quite long (we thought there might have been some mishap in the kitchen). Overall, we enjoyed our visit to Matterhorn greatly.Special Features:
- return tripperWeldonDined on 2/22/2014this is our 7th or 8h time coming to Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant and the quality has not only been consistent but the beef was delightful. Very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place!ChaaDined on 2/20/2014Nice place of Fondues directly from Switzerland. The food is good, the setting is typical and the owner is very nice. The fondue is not exactly like in Switzerland but it is good! I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect winter treatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/4/2014Delicious fondues, warm and professional service, great wine list, and authentic Swiss ambience still make Matterhorn the place to go for a very pleasant dining experience in the winter or at any time of year.Special Features:
- Perfect for those into isolationcawineguyVIPDined on 1/29/2014If you enjoy being the only person or party in a restaurant, this might be perfect for you. The interior looks like something out of a movie set - the restaurant has all kinds of Swiss decorations; a giant Alphorn on the wall, masks of demons to scare away the snow, wooden tables and hard wooden chairs... The one thing it does not have is customers. Another thing missing is a chef. The restaurant website warns that "All dishes may not be available at all times" - this is because they do not have a regular chef. The only dish always available is any form of fondue. To make fondue, there is no need for a chef; cut up bread, throw oil or cheese into a pot, and serve. The fondue is tasty, but the solitude is creepy.
- first time fonduefoodDined on 1/10/2014my first time here was amazing, also my first time ever having fondue. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original aka cheese fondue everyone associates fondue with but the meat fondue. oh. my. god. and all the little sides it comes with. get it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/8/2014My 2 adult children and I took my husband out for a fondue birthday celebration. The cheese fondue and meat fondue choices are portions for 2 people, so we chose one of each. The Ooh-La-La cheese was delicious with the bread. We were glad we ordered apples to dip as well. The wine/broth beef was also wonderful; we supplemented with scallops and prawns. Dessert was chocolate of course; we were told to order for 2, not 4, since the portions were large. We're glad we did. Overall, all the food was fresh, tasty, and well-presented. We definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost SwitzerlandnickzenDined on 12/27/2013Believe 2 swiss natives, fondue (cheese one) in very very very close to the original swiss one !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was quite disappointed byalltikiDined on 12/20/2013I was quite disappointed by our experience. The service was close to nil and the fondue burned since no one even bothered to check on us.
- Authentic Swiss FondueSusanVIPDined on 12/15/2013You owe it to yourself to go to The Matterhorn and experience an authentic Swiss fondue. Walking in to this restaurant is like walking in to a restaurant in Switzerland. The fondue is delicious, and there are several combinations from which to choose. Each is served with an absolutely delicious, fresh salad, with pomegranate seeds and orange slices and a great dressing. Desserts are equally delicioous: the chocolate mousse is probably better than any chocolate mousse you've ever had, and the Swiss chocolates are so much better than anything Godiva could hope to make. Do yourself a favor and go to The Matterhorn.Special Features:
- Unique and RelaxingFarahysvetteDined on 12/14/2013The menu is very specific which seems like a drawback at first but winds up yielding a pleasantly unique experience. The food is fresh and the ambiance is unparalleled. They have great wine pairings for the fondue (which is unbelievable and not only cheese). Ended up enjoying 3 hours here. Service was great, welcoming and very efficient. The price is moderate but well worth it, as the dinner feels more like an event. This restaurant is both an adventure and a homey retreat. A beautiful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondue and fun!Rjl123Dined on 12/14/2013This is definitely a special occasion restaurant, as all that bread and cheese can' t be eaten daily...but I would if I could! Delicious food, unique atmosphere, friendly service. Parking in neighborhood is tough, but $10 valet is available and well worth the price for the convenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Slow ServiceJohnCVIPDined on 12/14/2013We were at the restaurant early to have dinner before the symphony. After 2 hours we still hadn't had not ordered desert which is one of the reasons my wife wanted to come here. We ran out of tome due to very slow service. That does it for this restaurant.
- Always dependableJimHVIPDined on 11/23/2013Whenever I have a hankering for good fondue, this is my "go to" place. The fondue is always high quality, the setting very comfortable and the service friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for small groupsLufeDined on 11/19/2013The Matterhorn is a great choice for a gathering with friends. The food is perfect and the place is very comfortable. I recommend to all my friends - even the most picky ones. They won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Swiss LodgemariniteVIPDined on 11/8/2013We love the Matterhorn! Excellent food, charming atmosphere almost as if you've been transported to a alpine ski lodge. The owner is always there and so accommodating. Big bonus is the valet parking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fondue in a charming settingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2013Matterhorn is a gem. very few Swiss (or German) restaurants in the City these days. Matterhorn is terrific. mushroom soup was delicious, the cheese fondue was wonderful and the swiss white wine the perfect compliment to the meal. we normally eat close to the Opera/Symphony, but Matterhorn isn't far away on Van Ness, and it's perfect for after a matinee performance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.