The Market Place Restaurant
20 Wall St.
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Market Place Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marketplace-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (828) 252-4162
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
Bar opens at 5pm
Dinner: 5:30pm until close
Saturday - Sunday
Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: William Dissen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering services based on the needs of our clients. Please call 828-252-4162 to inquire about any catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: For private parties from 10-100, The Market Place can accommodate any dining needs. Please visit our website for more details, or call us for further information.
- Private Party Contact: Tracy Moore 8282524162x
- Entertainment: Live Music in our bar & lounge every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. Live Blues, upbeat Jazz/Electronica, inspired vocals, and DJ's. Music begins early and goes until late.
- Special Events: The Market Place is available for private events ranging from 1-100 people.
A word from The Market Place Restaurant
Located in the heart of downtown Asheville, The Market Place Restaurant specializes in handcrafted cuisine from seasonal, local ingredients, many of which come from within a 100 mile radius of Asheville. Bringing you the local harvest since 1979. Serving Dinner from 5:30pm, 7 days a week in our newly renovated restaurant, and brunch every Saturday & Sunday from 10:30am - 2:30pm. Our classic American lounge serves local brews and handmade cocktails and is open until.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Market Place Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
The Market Place Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)special occasion (82)romantic (74)neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (43)notable wine list (41)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (23)great for outdoor dining (22)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- consistent, creative, high qualityWeddingPartyDined on 11/25/2014Chef Dissen and a talented service staff offer one of the most consistent, creative and high quality dining experiences in Asheville. choose MarkekPlace for Innovative Farm to Table meals and exceptional service. If Chef Bill is in, ask to meet him, he is gracious, funny and very customer focused.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simly excellentMomunchiesDined on 11/23/2014Just delightful . We dined early on a rainy Sunday night so very few other diners to rate noise level. It's a lovely soft and airy room, staff could not be more pleasant, but the food just shines. Roasted pumpkin soup was silky and nutty. Lamb pappardelle will be a dish to crave. Salmon perfectly cooked and sustainable too. A gem on Ashevilles' Wall St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I have had in Asheville .ChefBaxDined on 11/22/2014The Market Place is simply one of the best restaurants in the area. Amazing food Amazing service and An Amazing Chef that puts his love and passion into the food and you can tellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanAshevilleDined on 11/21/2014Overall, it just wasn't that memorable. It wasn't terrible. It wasn't fabulous. It was an OK meal in a nice environment with a good serve staff;I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most consistent Asheville restaurantOverfikeDined on 11/21/2014We ate here the first night of our honeymoon 5 years ago and come here every year when we visit. Will and his team continue to impress and it is one of the most consistent restaurants we eat at any where. The fresh local menu and seasonal changes keep reinventing a proven recipe. We had the pickle plate at the bar to start, which included pickled potatoes...a first for me and surprisingly very good. I had quail and my wife the ravioli, both of which were perfect. Service was so-so but that was the first time ever everything did not line up. Thanks again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014I got the Salmon and it was awesome. Cooked to perfection, great presentation and just the right amount of food. My mom got the Sirloin Steak and the bite I had could have been the best steak I've ever had. They promote local food and serve it in a way that is classy and delicious. Will recommend it to people coming to Asheville who don't mind spending more than $20 on a plate of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkable and amazing!GmayerVIPDined on 11/13/2014Definitely my favorite place for a dinner date! The service is consistently terrific - the food is outstanding and the restaurant provides an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night out!gustoDined on 11/10/2014We had friends in from Steamboat Sprngs, CO and, with another couple went to MP for dinner, Our cocktails before dinner were very tasty-- the bartender was obviously knowledgable. We had a great round table which allowed for conversation-- noise level was just right. Our server was helpful and attentive but not at all intrusive. And, to top it off, the food was delicious all round. Our selections were varied, from a tofu and vegetarian entre to trout .Wine selections were perfect. Everyone was pleased:)Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/1/2014I've had some wonderful meals here, but this one was not a great experience. The best part was my cocktail - a "Grassy Noll" with Chartreuse. But the "mac and cheese" came out lukewarm, the steak portion was small, and the pasta overwhelmed the braised lamb. And for the service, there was a long gap between the appetizer and the main dishes, leaving us nursing our wine, and the waitress actually laid the dessert menu on the table while we were still eating.
- Amy from OhiospecialtyeatsDined on 10/31/2014Though the decor was a bit more relaxed than it was a couple years ago (good), the food was just as outstanding. Great presentation, great taste! The other waitress seemed to reveal more detail to her customers, however, service was still good. We will go again on our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely eveningLuberonFanDined on 10/30/2014The menu isn't large, but it had two vegetarian dishes, two fish dishes, and four meat dishes, so we were all happy. Each of the dishes was delicious, with nicely paired accompaniments, and we shared the "small" plate local mushroom gratin, which was generous enough for four of us. Our waiter was personable and knowledgeable. We did have one slight miscue when a different server brought out our main dishes before the mushroom gratin plates had been cleared. Two things I like very much about the Market Place Restaurant: It isn't as noisy as some other places; it's so nice to be able to speak with each other instead of shouting over the noise! And they use nice crystal and china.Special Features:
- Market PlaceTravelerDined on 10/29/2014Dined here on recommendation of an innkeeper, food was good quality but menu was basic in terms of choice. Good value, interesting but limited wine list. service was good ,delivered with a smile and very attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyabletlavenderDined on 10/25/2014I went to 3 top restaurants in Asheville over the long weekend and the Market Place turned out to be the best meal I ate.Special Features:
- Always Great!!TravelerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Tomato mozzarella salad a must. We totally enjoyed each other's entrees-trout and the pumpkin goat cheese ravioli. The food & service don't ever disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wall streetfrostyDined on 10/25/2014Restaurant is solid in all categories. Service was attentive, food well prepared and presented and variety on menu for vegan and carnivore. Pleasant atmosphere and from previous experience a good bar. Some unique interesting dishes reflecting an innovative kitchen.Special Features:
- Local Treasure!highlandheavenVIPDined on 10/25/2014You must try whatever the Mushroom special is for the evening! All the mushrooms are foraged locally and prepared exceptionally!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindJandDDined on 10/25/2014Unable to find openings on a Saturday evening for a group of 5, we were able to find a table at Market Restaurant but not sure what to expect in terms of food quality. We were pleasantly surprised - food was wonderful, and our excellent server recommended a lovely wine. Our entire party enjoyed each of the different food selections. Would definitly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodjustmeDined on 10/25/2014Food is very good nut too salty. Do not reommend if you do not like excessive salt in your diet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch and a cool atmosphere!MBellDined on 10/25/2014The Eggs Benton and Omelet with goat cheese and fresh spinach were excellent! Loved the jalapeno biscuit as well. Would definitely go back again. Also easy walking distance to shops, etc. downtown.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014We had a wonderful dinner at the Market Place in Asheville. It was one of the best dinners I've ever had, and I've had a lot of dinners.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!steaknwifeDined on 10/24/2014We dined early so the restaurant was not full. The woman who waited on us was an absolute delight. She was attentive and conscientious. She had a nice smile and a great demeanor. She was patient as we slowly ate our way through our large appetizers and then was very "on it" when it came time to get the main course out.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent and unique menu. Slightly limited but creative and high quality menu. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- persnickityPERSNICKITYDined on 10/20/2014Industrial restaurant setting with unimaginable food. Travelers might enjoy.
- Excellent1edGrip1VIPDined on 10/19/2014I would recommend it highly---Very well done food in a nice venue in downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asheville GemjemmDined on 10/17/2014Visited Asheville this weekend - read about the Market place and decided to have dinner here Friday night. GREAT place - food was exceptionally good. Began with pumpkin soup and a mushroom gratin appetizer - both excellent. Had pappardelle w/lamb and sockeye salmon - each dish was superb, as was the creme brûlée! Melissa was a delightful server. Live jazz music was very enjoyable as well. Overall experience was much better than we had hoped for. If you go to Asheville, you really should dine here!Special Features:
- Great mealRevisitorDined on 10/15/2014We hadn't been to the Market Place in several years and we were most satisfied with our experience. From a divine pumpkin soup to an outstanding salmon entree, everything was great. Also Wednesday 1/2 price on wine by the glass was an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Everything was tasty and seasoned well. Only negative would be a small menu selection. Will be back when in town.
- It was a wonderful brunch!nanny85705Dined on 10/12/2014We got brunch, and were seated quickly. Service was efficient, and food was tasty! The jalepeno biscuit with strawberry jam was the best part, and the mains were delicious! I wanted the banana bread french toast, but couldn't pass on the benton. Very happy with decisionSpecial Features:
- Really small, pricey portionsLocetheWizardDined on 10/11/2014The space is quite nice but loud. Nothing special about the bar beyond the extensive wine list. Foodies will love it, but not the rest of us. The portions are small, even skimpy for the price. The dishes we sampled were all OK, but no one left feeling satisfied. Give folks better value and better portions by including some sides on the plates instead of creating art on the plate.Special Features:
- 10+ ExperienceDeadheadDinerDined on 10/11/2014From the moment we were seated my wife and I experienced perfection in a dining experience. Hands down the best steak I've ever had. And the cocktail made with bacon infused bourbon was hands down the best drink I've had in Asheville so far. Service was impeccable. Extremely knowledgable waiter. Ambiance was stellar. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date placeOKDINERDined on 10/11/2014Asheville has a number of wonderful restaurants but if you are wanting to have a relaxed more intimate conversation then The Market Place is great. The ambiance and low noise level is perfect for that special evening or just a relaxing dinner with good friends. And the food is GREAT!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodJBDineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great food, excellent service, overall a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and foodBellebowlDined on 10/10/2014Went with a small group of family on a busy weekend. We were seated right away and had drinks while we reviewed the menu. Food was delicious and artfully presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed the dinner very much, but they need to get rid of the Jazz band...too loud and too ordinary. We sat in the loft area and it was difficult to hear each other. We will go back, but not on a night with all that racket.Special Features:
- disappointingpickyeaterDined on 10/10/2014We have been to the Market Place several times in the past, but we don't think we will return. Our food simply wasn't very good.
- A Delicious Dining Experience!AnnieBDined on 10/9/2014My sister and I were celebrating her birthday, and this was a great place to do it. There was a guy playing music, not intrusively but just pleasant background vibe. We are both foodies and cooks and are pretty selective. We know good food. This place offers a variety of small plates. Among our favorites were sweetbreads, barbecued, a fresh tuna seared rare, and house-made pickled veggies, which were surprisingly yummy. We enjoyed other delicacies, but I recommend you make reservations and get there soon so you can experience this place for yourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedemptionLaurenVIPDined on 10/8/2014Our server (whose name we never got) was either disinterested or new. I told her of my food restrictions (and always indicate on the Open Table reservations). She kept saying "no, we can't do that"....pretty disheartening. She also kept checking with the kitchen which brought me to the conclusion she was new and didn't have the right relationship and communication with them. Ultimately, we had a 'nice' meal, and she seemed to be less nervous around us. However, I don't think I'd choose The Market Place as my 'go-to' spot when Laughing Seed is right next door.Special Features:
- Romantic and delicousJamalVIPDined on 10/5/2014We went here for our anniversary dinner and they did not disappoint. They provided on the house champagne and desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food lacks oomphYumNTumDined on 10/5/2014The food is decent and nicely presented, but the vegetarian dishes in particular lack "oomph." Service was slightly irritating, albeit helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining in Ashevillejkk401Dined on 10/3/2014Dinner at the Market Place Restaurant was wonderful! Their dishes were unique, delicious, and very nicely presented. The service was very good. Can't wait to go back!Special Features: