The Market Place Restaurant
20 Wall St.
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Market Place Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marketplace-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 8282524162x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
Bar opens at 5pm
Dinner: 5:30pm until close
Saturday - Sunday
Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: William Dissen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering services based on the needs of our clients. Please call 828-252-4162 to inquire about any catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: For private parties from 10-100, The Market Place can accommodate any dining needs. Please visit our website for more details, or call us for further information.
- Private Party Contact: Tracy Moore 8282524162x
- Entertainment: Live Music in our bar & lounge every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. Live Blues, upbeat Jazz/Electronica, inspired vocals, and DJ's. Music begins early and goes until late.
- Special Events: The Market Place is available for private events ranging from 1-100 people.
A word from The Market Place Restaurant
Located in the heart of downtown Asheville, The Market Place Restaurant specializes in handcrafted cuisine from seasonal, local ingredients, many of which come from within a 100 mile radius of Asheville. Bringing you the local harvest since 1979. Serving Dinner from 5:30pm, 7 days a week in our newly renovated restaurant, and brunch every Saturday & Sunday from 10:30am - 2:30pm. Our classic American lounge serves local brews and handmade cocktails and is open until.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Market Place Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
The Market Place Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)special occasion (79)romantic (63)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (34)notable wine list (34)great for outdoor dining (31)great for brunch (20)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (13)late-night find (12)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Second visit still a disappointmentLowcountryDined on 9/12/2014Other than one runner, we found the staff to be unfriendly and very "programmed" and unattentive. The snapper was very dry.
- Great Good Great FunfoodsnobVIPDined on 9/7/2014Sunday brunch was wonderful. Banana Bread French Toast, Poached Eggs on Grits Cakes, a shared starter of Doughnut Holes! The presentation is beautiful, the service is excellent and friendly and the live jazz was the perfect volume. If you want a cocktail that really works with brunch food try the Salty Bird. Wonderful!!Special Features:
- Possibly the best plate in A'villeKnowGoodFoodDined on 9/6/2014Really creative pairing of set ups with entrees. Excellent appetizers. Very knowledgable waitstaff. This jewel outshines them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Think TwiceForrestDachaDined on 9/5/2014Limited menu, very mediocre food but a nice atmosphere and live music (a Friday night visit). The chicken was all but inedible, the snapper was bland, the small plates tomatoes were OK but nothing special but the wild mushroom special was out of this world good. All in all, I would not consider going back, especially with so many nearby options that seemed to be enjoying brisker business.Special Features:
- Very good foodYonatanDined on 9/3/2014The service is great, dishes were a little to small for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great localClarkDined on 9/2/2014We live in Asheville and frequent MP because the food is tremendous,great service and it's not packed,like so many Asheville places.Special Features:
- kath0987Dined on 8/31/2014Accommodated our girls trip group of 7 very well! There wasn't a thing we tasted we didn't love. Great experience and wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- AmazingpeacefulcharlieDined on 8/31/2014Splendid! Food, service, atmosphere all worthy of praise. We have eaten at The Market Place before, with the same results. Recommend without hesitation.Special Features:
- highly recommendFoodieInWallingfordDined on 8/30/2014We chose Market Place based on reviews by previous patrons, and we highly recommend it ourselves. Excellent food, nice atmosphere and warm, friendly service. They mushroom gratin appetizer will live forever in my memory's taste buds :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SIMPLY AWESOMEMarketplacerocksDined on 8/29/2014Eating at The Marketplace ranks in my top 5 dining experiences, ever, and I've travelled the world and dined at some of the best restaurants in cities like Paris, New York, and Hong Kong. The food was simply spectacular, using fresh and local ingredients combined in creative and delicious ways. We were seated exactly according to our request via Open Table (quiet corner for long, catch-up conversation). The service was attentive and well-timed, with meals coming from the kitchen after perfect intervals between courses. I highly recommend The Marketplace, and will be sure to dine there again when I next visit Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great but slowWendyBDined on 8/27/2014not sure why the restaurant was slow tonight but the food was still goodSpecial Features:
- Always a great mealAVLFionaDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated a birthday here and enjoyed not just the food but our waitperson. Market Place is very consistent in offering local foods done well. We forget how much we like it (Asheville has TONS of restaurants) but every time we go there, we have a terrific experience. We loved the house-made limoncello as our "dessert."Special Features:
- Great FoodOutandaboutDined on 8/23/2014Love the location. Food was outstanding. I had the snapper -best I've had since leaving Florida. The heirloom salad was wonderful. May wife had the lamb and mixed green salad. Loved both. After dinner enjoyed a walk through downtown. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb restaurant!LuvtodineDined on 8/22/2014Excellent fresh food and outstanding service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with quality.tarheeltwiceDined on 8/20/2014Headline says it all. Not of Asheville caliber. Service was great but food..not so much. Not sure what all the Yelp reviews were about
- InconsistentTJGreenDined on 8/17/2014I've been there twice, the first the service was great as was the food the second, service was below average and the food average. This restaurant is near the top as far as price point in Asheville, I expect more.Special Features:
- ExcellentRestman84Dined on 8/16/2014Very friendly knowledgeable bartender. We had dinner at the bar and the service was excellent. His suggestions turned out to be great. We would surely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificient!GmayerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding food - amazing drinks. The food is always outstanding. The staff is so friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Return tripLocal3106VIPDined on 8/16/2014It had been a few years since we had visited the Market Place. Everything was great. Our waiter was very knowledgeable of the menu items. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to family and friends.Special Features:
- MbclevengerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Perfect dinner.........great presentation and great food.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceGiGi227Dined on 8/14/2014Great entrees, great service. I like the big selection of "small plates" aka appetizers. The grape/cucumber gazpacho was excellent and the PEI mussels were wonderful. The housemade bread served with the mussels was to die for. Grilled on the panini press it was one of the best breads I've ever had. Three huge pieces, shared it with my tablemates and they all loved it as well. Others in my party had the steak and pork and thought it was top notch. Overall great dining experience. We'll be back when we're back in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Night MusicmmmmDined on 8/14/2014The Open Table site indicated tables available at all intervals and I was able to reserve a table for 6:30. However, when my wife phoned the restaurant at the same time they said they had no tables available for the next three hours, i.e., 8:30. We got to the restaurant at 6:30pm and it was empty.The food was very good. We were offered no bread. Later, we told our waiter that we would delay desert in lieu of some more wine. While we were enjoying our wine listening to the music, which was the reason we chose The Market Place over others that evening, the waiter brought us our check. Other than that the waiter was personnable, but he did not make for a comfortable evening. We left and went back to the Grove Park Inn to have our drinks.Special Features:
- Great place for our anniversaryPurpleJeanDined on 8/11/2014This was a lovely place. We had a nice table and even though there were other couples near us, we had no trouble conversing. Our waiter was very helpful and attentive. We both selected the steak entree and even though it said it had a ketchup sauce (poorly named, but very good) it was by no means just steak with ketchup. We split the tomato and mozzarella salad and it was very tasty. My husband had and enjoyed the brownie dessert. All in all it was a wonderful dinner and we will certainly go back and bring friends.Special Features:
- um get the lamb pasta!champDined on 8/9/2014seriously, you won't regret it! everyone at my table wanted a bite and a second bite. i ordered the benson's old fashioned because of the reviews, but wouldn't get it again... it's super smokey! so if you don't like smokey, don't get it. the lamb made up for it though! our service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blew my mind!Ryan123Dined on 8/9/2014Absolutely great food and atmosphere. Best food I've had ever! That is no joke!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!lswieseDined on 8/8/2014Great selection of small plates, foraged wild mushrooms, stuffed squash blossoms, delectable house made charcuterie and great selection of local cheeses. All were accompanied by superb service and craft cocktails. A must for my next trip to Asheville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantmikefDined on 8/8/2014I had snapper which was wonderful. My wife enjoyed her chicken but did not think it was anything special. The service and atmosphere were both very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014My wife and I chose the Marketplace for a special date night and it surpassed all of our expectations. Our server, Harriet led us through from appetizer to dessert and we thoroughly enjoyed them all though the wild mushroom gratin accompanied by a glass of rose' was the best of the best. My only dig was that bread was offered only as an appetizer and it wasn't very special in a town where hand made bread is available.Special Features:
- A rare nightHikersDined on 8/4/2014The drink was excellent. We shared an appetizer, each had a great main course and shared a desert. Our waitress was excellent with good suggestions and on the way out shared a mutual positive conversation with the couple at the next table. We were celebrating retirement and they were on their honeymoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014Our experience was positive. The waitress had personality plus and made us feel at home, food was superb and the location is prime. It was a very quiet day when we dined leaving us one of the only parties present. I hope it is usually more crowded because this place is one of a kind!Special Features:
- Love dessertsLoveDined on 8/2/2014This was our second trip to Asheville and we have now made a dinner at the market place one of our "musts" - it is so delicious! The food is fresh and local, with a variety of dishes offered. This trip we ordered one of every dessert so that we could try them all! All got an A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REBBDined on 8/2/2014Great service, menu had good variety and food was very good!Special Features:
- The Best of Our Asheville MealsDinerfromDCDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant was a real treat: excellent farm-to-table food, welcoming and professional staff, and a lovely dining room. The night we dined here [a Saturday] there was a jazz group playing softly near the bar area. We'd definitely return. Note: this is a popular place. Don't wait until the last minute to reserve a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple Fare Well DonelegallludDined on 8/1/2014This food is local, simply prepared and delicious. Music at the bar and seating outdoors makes it a place of great choices.Special Features:
- FabulousCharlestonFolksDined on 7/25/2014Live music was excellent but not overpowering. Food was insightful and inventive. Service was friendly and attentive. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014We had a group of 6 including 2 tired campers. The restaurant was nice enough to make them some simple pasta even though there is no menu. However, the food arrived very slowly and some things were forgotten. One in our party was just starting soup when everyone else was finishing up. Excellent fresh innovative choices though. Just slow and disorganized service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to special dinner.RodinDined on 7/25/2014We have enjoyed anniversary dinners there for the last several years. Because we find the food delicious and uniquely prepared it is always a good place to go which is why we recommended it to our son and daughter in law for their tenth anniversary.Special Features:
- Disappointing!Weaverville1BobDined on 7/22/2014Went on a Tuesday so place was pretty empty. Food was decent but considering the prices not what it should be. Ordered two glasses of $9 wine (bottles were $35 and up) and got barely 3 oz. Service was just ok, we had to get the waiters attention any time we needed something. I'd not reccomend it.
- delicious, but small servingsCarolDined on 7/19/2014the menu choices were interesting and all about farm-to-table eating; the food was wonderful and beautifully presented; my only negative is that the portion sizes, even on the large plates were too small for the prices chargedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant and deliciousliketogo99Dined on 7/19/2014With an interesting brunch menu, a dining area with loads of natural light, and an attentive server our experience was excellent. We requested 2 dishes to split, and they arrived in half portions for each person--so nice. The cauliflower salad was a welcome change of pace and delicious. The mac and cheese was a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.