The Market Place Restaurant
20 Wall St.
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Market Place Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marketplace-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 8282524162x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
Bar opens at 5pm
Dinner: 5:30pm until close
Saturday - Sunday
Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: William Dissen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering services based on the needs of our clients. Please call 828-252-4162 to inquire about any catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: For private parties from 10-100, The Market Place can accommodate any dining needs. Please visit our website for more details, or call us for further information.
- Private Party Contact: Tracy Moore 8282524162x
- Entertainment: Live Music in our bar & lounge every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. Live Blues, upbeat Jazz/Electronica, inspired vocals, and DJ's. Music begins early and goes until late.
- Special Events: The Market Place is available for private events ranging from 1-100 people.
A word from The Market Place Restaurant
Located in the heart of downtown Asheville, The Market Place Restaurant specializes in handcrafted cuisine from seasonal, local ingredients, many of which come from within a 100 mile radius of Asheville. Bringing you the local harvest since 1979. Serving Dinner from 5:30pm, 7 days a week in our newly renovated restaurant, and brunch every Saturday & Sunday from 10:30am - 2:30pm. Our classic American lounge serves local brews and handmade cocktails and is open until.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Market Place Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
The Market Place Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)special occasion (86)romantic (76)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (42)notable wine list (38)great for outdoor dining (25)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (16)late-night find (8)great for lunch (6)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent and unique menu. Slightly limited but creative and high quality menu. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent1edGrip1VIPDined on 10/19/2014I would recommend it highly---Very well done food in a nice venue in downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asheville GemjemmDined on 10/17/2014Visited Asheville this weekend - read about the Market place and decided to have dinner here Friday night. GREAT place - food was exceptionally good. Began with pumpkin soup and a mushroom gratin appetizer - both excellent. Had pappardelle w/lamb and sockeye salmon - each dish was superb, as was the creme brûlée! Melissa was a delightful server. Live jazz music was very enjoyable as well. Overall experience was much better than we had hoped for. If you go to Asheville, you really should dine here!Special Features:
- Great mealRevisitorDined on 10/15/2014We hadn't been to the Market Place in several years and we were most satisfied with our experience. From a divine pumpkin soup to an outstanding salmon entree, everything was great. Also Wednesday 1/2 price on wine by the glass was an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Everything was tasty and seasoned well. Only negative would be a small menu selection. Will be back when in town.
- It was a wonderful brunch!nanny85705Dined on 10/12/2014We got brunch, and were seated quickly. Service was efficient, and food was tasty! The jalepeno biscuit with strawberry jam was the best part, and the mains were delicious! I wanted the banana bread french toast, but couldn't pass on the benton. Very happy with decisionSpecial Features:
- Really small, pricey portionsLocetheWizardDined on 10/11/2014The space is quite nice but loud. Nothing special about the bar beyond the extensive wine list. Foodies will love it, but not the rest of us. The portions are small, even skimpy for the price. The dishes we sampled were all OK, but no one left feeling satisfied. Give folks better value and better portions by including some sides on the plates instead of creating art on the plate.Special Features:
- 10+ ExperienceDeadheadDinerDined on 10/11/2014From the moment we were seated my wife and I experienced perfection in a dining experience. Hands down the best steak I've ever had. And the cocktail made with bacon infused bourbon was hands down the best drink I've had in Asheville so far. Service was impeccable. Extremely knowledgable waiter. Ambiance was stellar. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date placeOKDINERDined on 10/11/2014Asheville has a number of wonderful restaurants but if you are wanting to have a relaxed more intimate conversation then The Market Place is great. The ambiance and low noise level is perfect for that special evening or just a relaxing dinner with good friends. And the food is GREAT!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodJBDineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great food, excellent service, overall a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and foodBellebowlDined on 10/10/2014Went with a small group of family on a busy weekend. We were seated right away and had drinks while we reviewed the menu. Food was delicious and artfully presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed the dinner very much, but they need to get rid of the Jazz band...too loud and too ordinary. We sat in the loft area and it was difficult to hear each other. We will go back, but not on a night with all that racket.Special Features:
- disappointingpickyeaterDined on 10/10/2014We have been to the Market Place several times in the past, but we don't think we will return. Our food simply wasn't very good.
- A Delicious Dining Experience!AnnieBDined on 10/9/2014My sister and I were celebrating her birthday, and this was a great place to do it. There was a guy playing music, not intrusively but just pleasant background vibe. We are both foodies and cooks and are pretty selective. We know good food. This place offers a variety of small plates. Among our favorites were sweetbreads, barbecued, a fresh tuna seared rare, and house-made pickled veggies, which were surprisingly yummy. We enjoyed other delicacies, but I recommend you make reservations and get there soon so you can experience this place for yourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedemptionLaurenVIPDined on 10/8/2014Our server (whose name we never got) was either disinterested or new. I told her of my food restrictions (and always indicate on the Open Table reservations). She kept saying "no, we can't do that"....pretty disheartening. She also kept checking with the kitchen which brought me to the conclusion she was new and didn't have the right relationship and communication with them. Ultimately, we had a 'nice' meal, and she seemed to be less nervous around us. However, I don't think I'd choose The Market Place as my 'go-to' spot when Laughing Seed is right next door.Special Features:
- Romantic and delicousJamalVIPDined on 10/5/2014We went here for our anniversary dinner and they did not disappoint. They provided on the house champagne and desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food lacks oomphYumNTumDined on 10/5/2014The food is decent and nicely presented, but the vegetarian dishes in particular lack "oomph." Service was slightly irritating, albeit helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining in Ashevillejkk401Dined on 10/3/2014Dinner at the Market Place Restaurant was wonderful! Their dishes were unique, delicious, and very nicely presented. The service was very good. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great service, great foodAVLFionaDined on 10/3/2014We brought out-of-town guests here. As always, the food was interesting and excellent (chicken of the wood appetizer was deluxe), lots of local, fresh ingredients and a wonderful waitstaff. And be sure to order a limoncello. It's home-made and tastes exactly like the limoncello in Tuscany!Special Features:
- Soft music, nice ambiancePickynyDined on 9/27/2014We were in search of a restaurant with moderate a noise level and found this, eating upstairs, at The Market a place. They featured one soloist near the entrance/ bar area. Mussel's and all entrees were quite good. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Mediocre ServicejtenVIPDined on 9/26/2014All of the food we had was excellent. At dinner, pumpkin soup and spring pea & goat cheese ravioli were very good. Wait staff could be more attentive and spend less time chatting with each other and the managers. Despite the less-than-stellar service, the food was compelling enough that we returned a few days later for brunch.Special Features:
- 3rd Time is a charmDeedeedinerDined on 9/20/2014Admittedly this was not our first choice...we tried two other popular restaurants first but no availability. Wow! Are we glad that was the case! The incredible flavor combinations, fresh and unique cocktails, ambience, amazing service and great music were much needed after a busy, hectic weekend...Market Place will be our first choice next time we are in Asheville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was...SarahpDined on 9/18/2014The food was fantastic and the restaurant has a wonderful feel about it. However, our service was less that perfect. However, I would not let that stop you from going. I would go again and just hope for a better server. :)Special Features:
- Second visit still a disappointmentLowcountryDined on 9/12/2014Other than one runner, we found the staff to be unfriendly and very "programmed" and unattentive. The snapper was very dry.
- Great Good Great FunfoodsnobVIPDined on 9/7/2014Sunday brunch was wonderful. Banana Bread French Toast, Poached Eggs on Grits Cakes, a shared starter of Doughnut Holes! The presentation is beautiful, the service is excellent and friendly and the live jazz was the perfect volume. If you want a cocktail that really works with brunch food try the Salty Bird. Wonderful!!Special Features:
- Possibly the best plate in A'villeKnowGoodFoodDined on 9/6/2014Really creative pairing of set ups with entrees. Excellent appetizers. Very knowledgable waitstaff. This jewel outshines them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Think TwiceForrestDachaDined on 9/5/2014Limited menu, very mediocre food but a nice atmosphere and live music (a Friday night visit). The chicken was all but inedible, the snapper was bland, the small plates tomatoes were OK but nothing special but the wild mushroom special was out of this world good. All in all, I would not consider going back, especially with so many nearby options that seemed to be enjoying brisker business.Special Features:
- Very good foodYonatanDined on 9/3/2014The service is great, dishes were a little to small for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great localClarkDined on 9/2/2014We live in Asheville and frequent MP because the food is tremendous,great service and it's not packed,like so many Asheville places.Special Features:
- kath0987Dined on 8/31/2014Accommodated our girls trip group of 7 very well! There wasn't a thing we tasted we didn't love. Great experience and wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- AmazingpeacefulcharlieDined on 8/31/2014Splendid! Food, service, atmosphere all worthy of praise. We have eaten at The Market Place before, with the same results. Recommend without hesitation.Special Features:
- highly recommendFoodieInWallingfordDined on 8/30/2014We chose Market Place based on reviews by previous patrons, and we highly recommend it ourselves. Excellent food, nice atmosphere and warm, friendly service. They mushroom gratin appetizer will live forever in my memory's taste buds :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SIMPLY AWESOMEMarketplacerocksDined on 8/29/2014Eating at The Marketplace ranks in my top 5 dining experiences, ever, and I've travelled the world and dined at some of the best restaurants in cities like Paris, New York, and Hong Kong. The food was simply spectacular, using fresh and local ingredients combined in creative and delicious ways. We were seated exactly according to our request via Open Table (quiet corner for long, catch-up conversation). The service was attentive and well-timed, with meals coming from the kitchen after perfect intervals between courses. I highly recommend The Marketplace, and will be sure to dine there again when I next visit Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great but slowWendyBDined on 8/27/2014not sure why the restaurant was slow tonight but the food was still goodSpecial Features:
- Always a great mealAVLFionaDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated a birthday here and enjoyed not just the food but our waitperson. Market Place is very consistent in offering local foods done well. We forget how much we like it (Asheville has TONS of restaurants) but every time we go there, we have a terrific experience. We loved the house-made limoncello as our "dessert."Special Features:
- Great FoodOutandaboutDined on 8/23/2014Love the location. Food was outstanding. I had the snapper -best I've had since leaving Florida. The heirloom salad was wonderful. May wife had the lamb and mixed green salad. Loved both. After dinner enjoyed a walk through downtown. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb restaurant!LuvtodineDined on 8/22/2014Excellent fresh food and outstanding service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with quality.tarheeltwiceDined on 8/20/2014Headline says it all. Not of Asheville caliber. Service was great but food..not so much. Not sure what all the Yelp reviews were about
- InconsistentTJGreenDined on 8/17/2014I've been there twice, the first the service was great as was the food the second, service was below average and the food average. This restaurant is near the top as far as price point in Asheville, I expect more.Special Features:
- ExcellentRestman84Dined on 8/16/2014Very friendly knowledgeable bartender. We had dinner at the bar and the service was excellent. His suggestions turned out to be great. We would surely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.