The Market Bistro at Fox and Obel
401 East Illinois
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Market Bistro at Fox and Obel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fox-obel.com/Bistro
- Phone: 3123790132
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Market Bistro can be rented for groups of up to approximately 50. Custom menus can be created for your event. Remember our great wine prices...
- Private Party Contact: Dana Vantongeren 3123790129
- Cross Street: McClurg
- Public Transit: CTA Buses 66,65,29 all stop at Illinois and McClurg
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Underground parking structure at Illinois Street and Peshtigo Court marked "Fox & Obel Parking". The store validates the first two hours of parking for patrons of the Market Bistro.
A word from The Market Bistro at Fox and Obel
Inside Fox & Obel, Chicago's Premier Gourmet Food Market, is River East's favorite dining spot The Market Bistro. Overlooking the Ogden Slip and McClurg Court, this restaurant offers contemporary American cuisine at incredible values and features wines from the store at market retail prices, without the customary restaurant mark up or corkage fee. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Market Bistro at Fox and Obel reviews from OpenTable diners
- Doesn't existAaaaDined on 10/5/2013This place no longer exists. Open Table should stop making reservations for it. We showed up to the restaurant just to find the restaurant and the supermarket shut down with big signs indicating that the place has gone out of business.
- LousyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2013The fact that it was nearly empty at 7pm on a Saturday was a red flag. The fact that service, both from the waiter and the kitchen, was slow was unacceptable. We waited 10 minutes between getting seated and having our drink orders taken, and another 10 minutes after getting our wine to have our food orders taken. There were 4 parties in the entire restaurant. We only ordered soup and appetizers. The soup was actually very good, but the appetizers (mussels and a duo of tartare) were both really bland. Only bright spots were the soup, the wine, and the ambiance. We were hoping to finish with enough time to check out the adjoining market, but it took so long that the market was closing when we finished - 1:45 later. Extremely disappointing.
- Not What I ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2013When I book a meal on Open Table, I expect a five star experience. While the food and service was good, the restaurant was located inside of a market. The market was nice, but the feeling was less than elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a gem. Great food,SnowbirdsDined on 8/22/2013This is a gem. Great food, excellent and reasonably priced wines. The view over the water is delightful AND the noise level is quiet ! Everything is fresh because it comes directly from the gourmet grocery you a dining in. They are family friendly too but it does not impose on other diners . This is a must .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and reasonable pricesjimjamDined on 8/17/2013A nice restaurant hidden in the back of a grocery store. Food is great and the prices are totally reasonable. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner with friendsLuckyVIPDined on 7/20/2013The wine list is great, found a bottle to go with the mushroom/chicken risotto that had to be the best I have ever had! Share this with a friend and the wonderful city of Chicago. Strongly recommend this neighborhood gem, inside on a grocery store! Next time I come back to Chicago I would go again. Oscar the waiter made sure that everything was perfect, we never waited for anything.Special Features:
- Hidden Downtown GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013We frequent this place when we're headed to the AMC 21 across the street. It's a nice quiet bistro with a view of the river, excellent food, and overly reasonable prices across the menu.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/10/2013great food and great seating for 8. Oscar was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very reasonableRosieVIPDined on 7/7/2013Lovely place for reasonably priced dinner and wine. Nice view of river and Oscar is very attentive.Special Features:
- We will go back. We went theEaterVIPDined on 7/5/2013We will go back. We went the day after a holiday and they were out of a lot of stuff. What we had was good and the service was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive to detailsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2013You need to get past eating in a grocery store. The bistro is in a quiet space behind the store truly a restaurant. Our waiter had worked there for six months and felt like they had brought the bistro along during that time. He askedwhat kind of wine I like I said bold but not overpowering reds. He asked try a sample of the Spanish wine mostly based on Grenache. The best part of all is it's priced at the grocery store Price. From there we went on to have a delightful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate graduation celebrationcotraderDined on 5/18/2013Great food at a great price. Served by manager of restaurant, knowledgeable about all aspects of food and service. Restaurant benefits from food and wine available from one of the best foodie shopping havens in the US, allowing for excellent prices on excellent ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need more wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/14/2013Lovely setting and good food but the poor wait staff was woefully stretched. I understand the need to control costs, but people should not have to be sweating and running between tables in order to make sure diners are attended to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious - fresh -sexxyVIPDined on 4/22/2013Always delicious - fresh - lovely presentation Service very accomodatingSpecial Features:
- The food was fabulous in thisAndreaVIPDined on 4/18/2013The food was fabulous in this quiet, small restaurant. The menu on open table is the menu for the little deli on the other side of the grocery store. It is not the menu for this restaurant. I had grilled salmon with a mustard sauce with roasted new potatoes and asparagus. It was delicious. Our waiter was very nice but a little full of himself. We didn't order wine but rather a bottle of sparkling Pelegrino. He showed it to us like it was a bottle of wine. I thought he was going to try to uncork it and ask us to check it to make sure it hadn't gone bad! Very funny. But the food is serious and I would really recommend this place.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseAuggiesmanVIPDined on 4/16/2013Wasn't expecting much, wanted a quiet place to eat alone on a business trip. The food was excellent, and the prices very reasonable. Was very surprised that the place wasn't more crowded. Ate at several "big name" places on the last two trips, and this one beat them all. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- The name describes it well:OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2013The name describes it well: a bistro located in a food market. And it offers both, the sensory experience of a good foodmarket and the relaxed atmosphere of a bistro. Had the combo for lunch: a combination of two half dishes (salat, soup or sandwich). Good quality ingredients, nice combinations. Emphasis on substance rather than on glamour. Attentive and friendly staff.Special Features:
- Neat place located in a gourmetmwinshipDined on 4/6/2013Neat place located in a gourmet supermarket. The food and atmosphere were great but our server, Gabe, made the visit awesome.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT food at very reasonableavipVIPDined on 4/4/2013EXCELLENT food at very reasonable prices and most important service has improved a lot since our last visit. If you are in the neighborhood it is the place for dinner.Special Features:
- Exceptionally mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2013Food is quite good, but the service - from the waiters themselves to the accuracy of the dishes we ordered - was absolutely abysmal during this visit.Special Features:
- The F&O Bistro has been ourOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/24/2013The F&O Bistro has been our go-to default dinner option for a few years now. The prix fixe menu is nearly always a steal of a deal (usually about $15-$18 for a three course meal). They tend to run out of some items later into the evening, so be prepared with a second option.Special Features:
- Great risotto with mushrooms.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/23/2013Great risotto with mushrooms. Generous portions. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Disappointing. We thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/17/2013Disappointing. We thought it would be fitting to have the Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner for St. Patrick’s Day. Bad choice. We weren't looking for anything fancy, just basic but tasty. The corned beef was dry and tasteless, and there was no cabbage to be found. Only the potato soup starter and ice cream sandwich dessert were OK. The wine we chose from their wine list was not available, and the waiter didn’t know to suggest that we could pick one from the store. The ambiance of the bistro is very casual, which is fine if the food is good. We’ve had better dinners here. This, unfortunately, was bad.
- At an early hour (7 pm ) theEllenVIPDined on 3/11/2013At an early hour (7 pm ) the restaurant was out of several items that were of interst to us. They were also short on wines and asked us to get our wines from the store which in fact worked out well. We will certainly go back because the food quality for value was high but its puzzling that a restaurant would be out of several items on a limited menu early in the evening.Special Features:
- Oscar is a wonderful waiter.ljmillerDined on 3/8/2013Oscar is a wonderful waiter. He anticipates patrons needs and creates a warm environment.Special Features:
- Good if You Have a Movie to CatchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2013The restaurants seems a bit impromptu. The dining area gives a feel of a well done wedding reception, nice but not established. The menu options and specials are nice but the execution of the food is usually about average. Most food needs seasoning and a bit of innovation. Service has always been satisfactory.Special Features:
- Excellent food at very reasonableavipVIPDined on 3/6/2013Excellent food at very reasonable prices. However the waiters have to pay more attention to the customers - refilling water generally being around etc. Resturant has great potential.Special Features:
- Great place to go if you areOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/23/2013Great place to go if you are off to the Shakespeare theatre. Nice portions - not huge. Very reasonable prices for being so close to navy pier and very nice variety.Special Features:
- I had the Chicken and WafflesJonMVIPDined on 2/17/2013I had the Chicken and Waffles for brunch and it was delicious. I wish it was a little bit of a bigger portion, but it was tasty. The Smoked Salmon was also very good.Special Features:
- Long wait for a mediocre-at-bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2013Long wait for a mediocre-at-best brunch. Took nearly an hour for us to get our food. It wasn't even busy in the restuarant. The server was incredibly rude as well. He invited himself into a private conversation between me and my friend and was incredibly rude. He even had the nerve to offer me life advice. It was bizarre. I will never go back there.
- Very nice breakfast. I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013Very nice breakfast. I had the lobster omlet special - it was great. Nice attentive service. Nice location and view on river.Special Features:
- Sit beside the river and bringGrayVIPDined on 1/19/2013Sit beside the river and bring a fab wine from the store into the bistro with no corkage fee!Special Features:
- The Market did a wonderfulPrincessVIPDined on 1/5/2013The Market did a wonderful job hosting a rather large birthday party. The service was great; keeping all our wine and dinner selections on separate checks. Great place if you have a large party but also want an intimate setting where everyone can really hear each other. My only caution about this place is it closes at 10pm; a little early if you have late night people in the bunch who would like to hit the town after dinner. Other than that - highly recommend.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the dinner as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/3/2013We enjoyed the dinner as always. My husband had the salmon special, which was not as good as the regular salmon on the menu.Special Features:
- Not great NYE, better cheap lunchMisterBVIPDined on 12/31/2012Went there NYE 2012 for $45 pp plus tax and automatic tip. Great that they allow you to buy $60 wine at their store with no corkage, not so great that they add automatic 20% tip to the wine when all the waiter did was open the bottle and fill the glasses once (no taste test to make sure ok, even though it was from their store, although he did fill almost to the rim). Waiter did caution that the kitchen staff couldn't handle a complex order (steak, the only NYE option, served Pittsburgh or black & blue style). Salad was good but wilted (maybe that was intentional?) with inconsistent serving components amongst our group. Advertized shrimp "scampi" on the phone, but the shrimp delivered were no better or bigger than a 50 cent piece.
- Used to be my favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/26/2012I've been to the Market Bistro at F&O multiple times before to dine prior to seeing a movie. I loved the food/ambiance and the fact that you can grab wine from F&O grocery store prior to dining. However, sadly my last experience will be my last. My waiter, Michael, was the worst waiter I have ever encountered. At first I thought he was complementing our group but we slowly realized he was continuously insulting the women at our table over and over. Our table became accommodating to his peculiar personality in hopes he would reciprocate with genuine service but no luck. If you do choose to eat here, please request Gabe as your waiter. If he's not working that day, you're better off not going on the off chance you get Michael as your waiterSpecial Features:
- Always a reliable and economicalValentineGuyDined on 12/19/2012Always a reliable and economical meal. The whole experience would have been better if the restaurant had not sent us an erroneous email canceling our reservation 45 minutes after we had actually dined, paid, and left.
- Amazing find - shockinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2012Amazing find - shockingly affordable wine list, reasonably priced food, excellent food and service. Definitely plan on returning!Special Features:
- This hidden bistro continuesrobertwilsonVIPDined on 12/14/2012This hidden bistro continues to improve - wait staff is more professional and the menu offerings are always interesting and well prepared. You always know the food is fresh, as the fish-monger and butcher are only 100 yards away! Nice pre-movie spot (particularly since P.J. Clarke closed at Illinois and Columbus.) Keep up the good work - good value, nice changing menu and decent wine offerings by the glass!Special Features:
- I have dined at The MarketEASJSEDined on 12/9/2012I have dined at The Market Bistro four times. The service every time was horrible.