The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges
25 East 77th Street, The Mark Hotel
The Mark Hotel
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themarkrestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 606-3030
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Late Night: Monday - Sunday: 11pm - 1am; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pierre Schutz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private Madison Room can accommodate up to 20 guests, and is ideal for both intimate celebrations and high-level business gatherings. The full restaurant is also available for large-scale receptions and seated events of up to 150 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Farah Abad (212)358-0688 x28
- Special Events: Whether you're hosting your next board meeting, an intimate celebration or a large gathering, the Mark provides space for events up to 150 people.
A word from The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges
Join us at The Mark Restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Jean-Georges Vongerichten brings his unbridled passion for market-fresh, simple cooking to The Mark Hotel, renovated and reopened in early 2010. The world-class menu features subtly innovative European classics blended with Jean-Georges’ signature global seasonings, and the wine collection,… showcased in a stunning copper and glass wall in the dining room, includes a range of both boutique and familiar food-friendly wines from around the world. The comfortably elegant dining room provides a warm and relaxed setting, fitting for both a neighborhood favorite and a connoisseur’s destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)special occasion (96)neighborhood gem (68)vibrant bar scene (60)notable wine list (58)romantic (52)great for lunch (46)good for groups (44)hot spot (43)great for brunch (28)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Was totally underwhelmed by the food!JennyDined on 11/15/2014Rubbery omelet was entirely WRONG for this caliber of a kitchen - Rock hard pecan pie and luke warm coffee, too. Hmmm. On the other side of the spectrum, great service, funky fun bar area and lovely setting in the dining room (especially the room with the large skylight), and perfect location after visiting museums on the Upper East Side, but what a disappointment the food was overall despite lovely plating and excellent pain poilane. Best dish was the octopus appetizer with the Mark burgers a close second. But, I'm still stuck on the sad fact that it seemed as if the kitchen just "called it in" for our omelets, which would have been such an EASY dish to have gotten right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic!FooBoozeVIPDined on 11/14/2014My fourth meal here in 3 months and each time it has been incredible and does not disappoint! Amazing food, service and ambiance. Thank you Jean Georges!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experienceAboutTownDined on 11/10/2014The restaurant didn't have our Open Table reservation and rather grudgingly gave us the worst table. I physically shifted the table so the waiters didn't have to keep pushing by my partner to get to the other tables. Service was attentive at first but by the end the waiter was too busy doing admin on a screen at the bar to pay attention to us (or anyone else presumably) so we were late for our next appointment. Not a great experience frankly.
- Food was not goodFoodsweetDined on 11/9/2014We sent for bruch this Sunday and the food was not good. Egg Benedict cold and dry. The pizza not good.
- Functions on AutopilotLike2eatVIPDined on 11/8/2014Have been to a number of Jean-George restaurants - quality of the food was always incredible and the dishes were extremely creative. The Mark had nothing in common with the J-G meals I have had aside from the high price of the food and wine. The dish selection was extremely mundane. The tables were too close to one another and as a result, the wait staff constantly bumped into the back of my wife's chair and didn't do anything to try to avoid doing so (despite her pointing the situation out to the most offending porter). The hotel lobby was the nicest part of the experience. Very disappointing overall.
- always good.MadgeDined on 11/7/2014We love this always on point restaurant. from Benj the manager to our great server.Special Features:
- UES Hang outBellaDined on 10/31/2014Everything was very good- the food ,the service, the setting. A little pricey. The people we were with requested to come to this restaurant. They c0uldn't believe the price of the chicken which their friend who past away use to order. $24.00 now $35.00.
- It's a hotelManhattan1VIPDined on 10/28/2014At the end of the day, the food is OK, service ditto but it is what is - an overpriced, UES hotel bar and restaurant with pretensions of greatness that just don't add up or make it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014Great service, very accommodating Very nice presentation,they were helpful with our baby! Loved Josh F&B managerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!FoodhunterVIPDined on 10/25/2014It is a great place and one of the best for late dining in the UES.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place for lunchpamnessVIPDined on 10/22/2014Great atmosphere in a really elegant setting. The tables and chairs are really comfortable and the food is quite good. One of the things I really appreciate is that you can actually have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a no brainerTheatreGoerDined on 10/21/2014I keep coming back, over and over and it is still the bestSpecial Features:
- Food and servicelolaDined on 10/20/2014Are greatly diminished in quality. They seem to be relying on the name of the chef. But they are not delivering - especially because they are in an ideal position in the hotel to be fabulous. It has become just another predictable fair quality restaurant. Service staff is totally untrained and casual.Special Features:
- Very Nice and RomanticZviDonatVIPDined on 10/19/2014Good Food, good Energy, Service a bit slow, Price is a bit high but in general good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchNYCPapaVIPDined on 10/19/2014It's a little expensive, but the brunch is amazing. Great service. Always so attentive to my kids. We love this place and often take out of town folks for breakfast and then walk in central parkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Mark has it all!mrslimVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great area, superb food, fantastic and attentive service, excellent wine selection and lots of fun people watching. Fast becoming one of my NYC favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SimBrimDined on 10/15/2014Went for wife's birthday, with four adult children and their spouses and 2/5 of the grandchildren. Everyone loved what they ordered, service was attentive and ambiance was very nice. Wine list is extensive and expensive, but the wine we ordered was terrifIc. It is great place to go for a special occasion or a romantic, special dinner with your wife or significant other. My wife recommended it since she was there a couple of times for lunch. Glad we went.Special Features:
- Nice place...UppereastfoodieDined on 10/14/2014Even though the host (I am not a regular there) sat me in possibly the worst spot in the restaurant and because of this I may never go back, I have to say the place is nice. For a hotel restaurant which forces them in with union waiters who at best are awful, the service was ok. The food also was better than ok for a hotel restaurant. Décor , outstanding. They could do better with the métier de …not rude, but not really great. They should send them to Cipriani for a tutorial in taking care of clients. A great host usually knows who is coming and where to seat them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnevenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Wine list was unwieldy and veal dish was among the worst. Fish was excellentSpecial Features:
- less than 1 star for serviceaskirynaDined on 10/14/2014I have been to many very nice restaurants, however this was not one of them. The initial seating was between to seat cushions & we asked to be moved. We were and then we sat. And sat. And stared at walls and watched 5 minutes go by before anyone noticed and even gave us a menu. Mind you, other tables were greeted. The tuna tartar appetizer was missing ingredients based on their website picture vs. actual item and the taste. Before the second course we requested the wine list. When we tasted the wine, we asked to see the list again as neither chardonnay was buttery. The main course arrived and the waiter said he would be right back. 15 minutes later he showed up confused. White truffle pasta = macaroni and cheese. Thumbs down.
- Expected more for DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Well, I expected more from The Mark... Waited for more than 15 minutes after seated to a waiter come to offer water.... Not compatible with the restaurant... My main course was a risotto with chicken and truffles. The chicken was burned giving a taste at the whole meal... The wine was a dream... The restaurant was full of elegant people... And the hotel is very beautiful The maitre was very polite and kind... But sincerely , I was disapoitedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedlolabonnieDined on 10/12/2014Have eaten at the others and find this one the worst. Food overcooked and not that great and noise over the top. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014The event, my wife's 65th birthday party was a success. Everything, the food, the service, the flowers, couldn't have been better. Thank you Josh for your help in putting everything together and thank you Mr. Carro for everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to Jean-George's Mark!CygnetVIPDined on 10/11/2014This Mark offers a pleasant hotel restaurant in a bright, tasteful room. We thought it a convenient choice for the Whitney Museum. The food was handsomely presented by attentive, trained staff. who accommodated a surprise guest. Brunch, however, isn't imaginative in the least.
- Overpriced and LoudenjoyaDined on 10/10/2014While the Mark is an "upscale restaurant", the music was sufficiently loud and with a strong beat that conversation at the table was extremely difficult. The food was excellent, but we would have appreciated it if the waiter had explained that it was necessary to order side dishes to have a complete meal. Overall, there are lot's of restaurants in NYC with lower noise levels, same quality of food, and more friendly service than the Mark.Special Features:
- Less than idealmojoDined on 10/8/2014Went for a special occasion- waited 30 mins for server to come to table,served our wine to the next table, forgot candle in cake which was on reservation,waiter knocked wine over into our food- not special at all. Waiter nice but no training . Daniel Boulud's restaurants are so much better for the same money! Food was good but not worth the price for mediocre service.
- The MarkCeciDined on 10/5/2014Expensive, cheeseburger oily, unfortanelly it was a bad experience! I expected more!Special Features:
- Fletch44Dined on 10/4/2014Seemed even better than on previous visits. Food, particularly appetizers, were full of flavors. Service was attentive throughout.Special Features:
- Could have been betterLivetoeatDined on 10/3/2014Everything about the restaurant heightens the expectation of a truly superb dining experience. Alas: service, no matter how solicitous and courteous, was slow - 45 mins before any food was served. Of the three dishes ordered, the appetizer -a grilled octopus - was a real disappointment. On the other hand, the evening was largely redeemed by the two main courses - a filet mignon and the cod served on a bed of spinach - both of which were excellent although the portions surprisingly small. Wine served by the glass was only fair. There would seem to be little excuse for that as there are some very good tasting wines that do not cost the price of an entire dinner. Lastly, and most surprisingly:no French Bread at a French restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAbulousednascarpeDined on 10/2/2014I don't wait for a special occasion to go to The Mark. I can walk 8 blocks easily & find myself in the best environment for a foodie! The service from the minute you walk in is Jean Georges professional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingmaryVIPDined on 10/2/2014Sorry to say we were not impressed. Just dined at Inn at Pound Ridge and had a lovely meal. This was not the same experience. Salads were so packed in the bowl we were afraid to dig in too heartily for fear of tossing lettuce all over the table - lots of lettuce very little avocado in mine - my partners : lots of frisee not many lardons. Lobster and three cheese pizza nothing special - again lots of dough not much lobster. Veal milanese was odd in that the breading was puffed up around the veal. Did enjoy the escarole and pecans that came with it. We were seated at the end of a banquette that felt like a see saw each time someone else was seated the entire thing wobbled around. Maybe it should be attached to the wall?
- Perfect as always!FoodieVIPDined on 9/30/2014Once white truffle season started could't stay away from one of my favorite spots in the city. The experience here is always guaranteed to be impecable. From the host to the service to the ambiance but most importantly the food! Amazing with new dishes every season and consistantly perfect! The white truffle pasta is a must have and also the Dover Sole that is one of the best I've had in a long time... They also have a new Cod dish that is to die for and now that the season is getting cooler the lamb chops are a must try. Highly reccomend this place again and again. Always perfection!Special Features:
- Tres manifiqueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014Convenient for hotel guests and a regular spot for the upper east side crowd, Jean-George's is a find and the kind of upscale dining you seek out repeatedly because it is so consistently excellent. We dined on a Sunday night at a great table in the central dining room, surrounded by couples and families. Our salad and salmon dinner was divine, the fish roasted to perfection and simply served with sautéed spinach and creamy mashed . My mom had caramel ice cream fir dessert and we sipped a good french white. The breakfast is also superior to any hotel I've experienced -soy lattes made to order and stevia included in the sweeteners was satisfying. We ordered yogurt with fruit and poached eggs and everything was seasonal and ripe.Special Features:
- LaurenVIPDined on 9/28/2014We love everything about this restaurant. We have never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Jean Gorges insteadOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/27/2014I arrived at 7:35 for a 7:45 reservation. I was not seated till 8:30. I was seated in the bar and a close by guest was speaking so loud to his table it was hard to ignore his constant use if profanity. My server was nice and helped navigate the meal as I have to eat gluten free. The good was good, but the entire experience was one of the worst I've had in NYC.
- A safe betOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2014If you are in this area, it is a safe choice. Unfortunately, nothing was wonderful. Lots of staff, but the kitchen was slow and got the order wrong. Chairs were not comfortable.
- One of my favoritesTheatreGoerDined on 9/23/2014there is nothing better than a restaurant that is always consistent - from the food to the staff, to the experience. It's always great.Special Features:
- RemiVIPDined on 9/22/2014While the restaurant ambience is quite good, the dining room was one quarter full, and we were put at a small table for two, even though there were plenty of larger tables which would have been more comfortable. This restaurant is very expensive. I had an appetizer size portion of pasta for $22, and it was lukewarm and mostly pasta, not other added ingredients. Wine prices are ridiculous, and they get six glasses to the bottle! Not a wonderful experience by any means.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveNYCdiningVIPDined on 9/21/2014Took my mother who was celebrating her 90th Birthday. She love the brioche French toast, soft scrambled eggs, bacon extra crispy and the cucumber martini. Perfection per my mother.
- Good food,bad service, very loudBkcouple14Dined on 9/20/2014Great food but took forever to get our main meal. We got there at 8:45 and didn't leave until well past 11. I want to say we waited 30 minutes at least between apps and main course. The sticky sushi was great, shrimp salad, desserts, drinks. Not very romantic as the place is so loud. They sat us right next to the bar initially with waiters butts in our faces and we asked to move which they did and our waiter was nice but the wait for food was just bad. We were starving!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.