The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges
25 East 77th Street, The Mark Hotel
The Mark Hotel
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themarkrestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126063030x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Late Night: Monday - Sunday: 11pm - 1am; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pierre Schutz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private Madison Room can accommodate up to 20 guests, and is ideal for both intimate celebrations and high-level business gatherings. The full restaurant is also available for large-scale receptions and seated events of up to 150 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Farah Abad (212)358-0688 x28
- Special Events: Whether you're hosting your next board meeting, an intimate celebration or a large gathering, the Mark provides space for events up to 150 people.
A word from The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges
Join us at The Mark Restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Jean-Georges Vongerichten brings his unbridled passion for market-fresh, simple cooking to The Mark Hotel, renovated and reopened in early 2010. The world-class menu features subtly innovative European classics blended with Jean-Georges’ signature global seasonings, and the wine collection,… showcased in a stunning copper and glass wall in the dining room, includes a range of both boutique and familiar food-friendly wines from around the world. The comfortably elegant dining room provides a warm and relaxed setting, fitting for both a neighborhood favorite and a connoisseur’s destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)fit for foodies (74)vibrant bar scene (46)notable wine list (46)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (45)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (31)hot spot (30)good for groups (26)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/26/2014The restaurant is lovely. The food was very good and very beautiful the way was presented. The lady who took care of me was WONDERFUL. The only think is the table where I was assigned was very uncomfortable and the chair too.Special Features:
- Another "Home Run" At MarkChristine39Dined on 8/21/2014My friends & I enjoyed another wonderful evening at "The Mark" - The service was EXCELLENT and the food was OUTSTANDING !! One of the restaurant's specialities is "Salmon Pizza" which is a BIG HIT !! We are already looking to spending another FINE DINING evening at your fabulous restaurant !!!!!!Special Features:
- Truly Outstanding!GlennWDined on 8/19/2014Our evening at the Mark was one to remember! Beautiful people and beautifully presented cuisine in a richly elegant atmosphere was wonderful all around. Grilled Octopus and Crispy Sushi appetizers were as good as they looked, and the Veal Milanese was great as well. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Our waiter recommended an excellent wine which I appreciated. Pretty expensive but worth it. I highly recommend and look forward to returning one day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite go-to place for brunchi82muchDined on 8/17/2014As a creature of habit, The Mark Restaurant is a favorite go-to place for a special brunch. Always consistent, and a pleasant experience. We always start with the cold lobster tails and sushi. The sushi includes a nice mix of flavors and color, all resting on delicately toasted bread-- a nice alternative to the standard rice base. A personal favorite entrée is the Croque-Monsieur (listed as 'Croque M' on the menu). In my opinion, it's one of the best items on the menu. The perfectly toasted bread base makes a delicious vessel to hold the béchamel, add to that, the ham, Gruyère, Herbes de Provance, and topped with a quail egg-- all balance perfectly, and stand out individually. Quite a challenge for such a rich sauce. Brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My girlfriend Birthday celebrationGuyanesediningDined on 8/15/2014Thanks to the staff and management at this upscale establishment for assisting me in making my girlfriend a very happy birthday camper. From the exquisite service to spelling her name correctly on the plate made her night very special and made me a brighter star in her eyes. I'll be back (Arnold Schwarzenegger voice)👏Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing specialjupiter10Dined on 8/14/2014They gave us the worst table. Why ? Is it because I was a guest of the hotel, or because I had reserved 3 weeks in advance, or because we are foringers ? For the rest, its just a banal place with no soul.Special Features:
- E2013VIPDined on 8/14/2014Dinner here was fabulous. I thoroughly enjoyed the crispy sushi, the shrimp salad, and the beef tenderloin. The sushi was fresh and interesting. The shrimp salad was sophisticated and very large and filling. The beef tenderloin was the best steak I have ever had in my life, no kidding. Just delicious, homey food without too much fuss. The waitstaff was attentive without being overbearing. The ambiance here is quite high end. A great place for a special occasion or business dinner.Special Features:
- memorable lunchluv2eatDined on 8/14/2014We had a great lunch. The food was prepared and cooked perfectly. The service was excellent, which made the whole experience satisfying. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were underdressedBillVIPDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I made a reservation. We walked all over the city then stopped in for dinner. Perhaps we should have changed, it's not a coat/tie place, but it is nice. Bar outside of resturant was very fun. The one inside was more reserved. the service was great . Food was excellent. It is a must go for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tuesday Night TreatFatmanDined on 8/5/2014Elegantly appointed and staffed with genuinely cordial people, the Mark is a special place. Our food was perfectly prepared and delicious. The service was rapid but not rushed. We'll be back.Special Features:
- happycamperDined on 8/4/2014We are frequent diners at the Mark even though we live across town. we go back because it is so good It has a neigborhoody feel even though it is a first class restaurant that would succeed in midtown. Excellent food, service and ambienceSpecial Features:
- Great as UsualFFABDined on 8/2/2014We are never disappointed here. Had the sea bass( substituted for the snapper) over braised fennel. WOW! I could eat that every day. Real nice Kale salad. Entrees in the $30's-40's. This place is really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014Food and service were great. Sommelier very helpful.Special Features:
- tries too hardomh66Dined on 7/24/2014One is asked too often whether everything is alright. If it is not, I will let you know. As a rule, I think it a terrible interruption of a meal. NoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PamelaDined on 7/23/2014Dining at The Mark Restaurant was a lovely experience. The service was wonderful, and the food simply delicious. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- FantasticLoveNYCdiningVIPDined on 7/20/2014The Brioche French Toast with roasted peaches was out of this world. Other very notable dishes were the Russ and Daughters Smoked Salmon pizza, Eggs Benedict with Ham, and the soft scrambled eggs. The cucumber martini's were also extremely good. Enjoyed by All. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Delicious dinner, wine was exceptional, plenty of space at the table......not overly crowded and at 9pm it was quiet enough to be able to talk to each other. I love the food and dining experience here, however for a romantic Saturday night date I'll probably pick a different table next time not in the main dining room.....Special Features:
- Dinner with DaughtersLouisvilleDined on 7/19/2014One wish I had while visiting New York with my teenage daughters was to expose them to fine dining experiences. After a day at the Guggenheim taking in all of the fantastic art we also had lunch there. Which was topped off with gelato in Central Park. After a walk on Fifth Avenue they asked about dinner. Last minute I reserved a table at the Mark Jean-George's. When we arrived we were welcomed with open arms. Dinner was a work of eatable art & the service was endearing. My daughters ordered Caesar salad which was fresh & crisp, pasta with sumptuous meatballs. I ordered beef carpaccio with delectable regianno shavings that landed on my palate to be quickly met by an effervescent parade of Proseco. It was a marvelous experience. MerciSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- datenomnomVIPDined on 7/18/2014went on a date here and it was very nice. perfect for a nice dinner with someone special or even a big group to celebrate Great drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Disappointing did not live up to name, but convenient & easySpecial Features:
- Inconsistent/UnreliableNancyVIPDined on 7/16/2014We had at a TERRIBLE table directly in the path to the kitchen; the endless parade of wait staff provided an unwelcome side show. As for the food, two people in our party ordered the Veal Milanese. Limp breading, coming apart from the veal, unseasoned and inedible. The veal pieces were inelegantly presented on a bed of iceberg lettuce. The service was inattentive. Upon hearing of our distaste for the experience, the manager simply stood there apologizing and shaking his head, as if there was nothing he could do about it. If you are inclined to have a lovely meal in that neighborhood, I strongly suggest you walk diagonally across the street and dine at the Carlyle; you will not be disappointed. We only wished we had.
- Lovely fresh ginger ale.ParwDined on 7/15/2014Try this drink. Excellent. Fresh pea soup - perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2014Service was OVER THE TOP. I need more stars to adequately rate it.Special Features:
- Surprising Twists on old favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014At first glance of the menu online, I thought it was uninspired. However, I was pleasantly surprised that even a simple dish like pizza was phenomenal. The crust was light, the sauce sweet w/ a hint of red pepper and fresh mozarella that melted in your mouth. For an amuse bouche: a sweet corn fritter w/a hint of spice. The steamed shrimp and enoki salad was dressed w/ a buerre blanc sauce & champagne vinagrette. If I said I considered licking the plate, that wouldn't be a lie. Main course, was lobster and meyer lemon risotto. The lobster and risotto were both perfectly cooked and I was pleased with the generous serving of sweet lobster. Service was impeccable and the staff ran as a well-oiled machine. Definitely a new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Particularly outstanding serviceDad123Dined on 7/12/2014For my son's birthday each year, I take him to a memorable restaurant. This year it was The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges. The food was predictably good, starting with the complimentary amuse bouche. But what really impressed was the service: unobtrusive but attentive -- the ideal. Water glasses always filled, additional bread placed on empty plates, friendly but not overly friendly waiter ... all perfect, and surprisingly rare in a city where I've been dining at restaurants of all stripes for over 30 years. They made us feel like special guests. And to top it off, I had noted on my Open Menu reservation it was my son's 26th birthday & the kitchen spelled out a "Happy 26th Birthday" in chocolate on his dessert plate. Wonderful experience.
- metrocentricDined on 7/10/2014We were accommodated when asked for a quiet corner, but we did arrive early on a weeknight. The restaurant became quite busy as the evening grew later. Everything was well done, service, food and atmosphere. My only complaint would be the very high prices. Dinner was over $100 per person, including the tip. A little high, even for New York, I thought. But the Mark is a five star hotel and I suppose the guests do not mind paying $18 for a glass of wine from a bottle that retails for $20.
- alinaVIPDined on 7/10/2014I always love the food, but unfortunately the service is not very good. I have been there at least 10 times now and it seems like there is never enough people working there and you must repeat yourself a few times for them to bring you what you ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestFoodie101VIPDined on 7/2/2014Everything is prepared to perk up your tast buds When asked to split entries and apertizers the request was honered and then well presented - almost all restaurants say NO Our favorate over the yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JG athe MarkfindsinNYCDined on 7/1/2014Great meal and service. With price of drinks bill adds up quickly but for a special dinner highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- ExcellentNYCFoodEnthusiastDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I had dinner at The Mark on Jun 28 and it was great. The food was very fresh and prepared in a simply manner. We ordered 3 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 1 dessert. We enjoyed all of our dishes and felt they were exceptional. We dine out often and have been to many Michelin star restaurants and would rate this as one worthy of a star. We love ABC Kitchen and are fans of Jean-George but we did not enjoy Perry Street (which we felt was overrated and outdated). I will be returning soon.Special Features:
- The Best!dinersdelight4uDined on 6/27/2014I was with my daughter and, as usual, the food was great. No matter what we chose, each course was delicious. We also had very attentive service. We were celebrating a birthday and the whole experience was delightful. We've been here a few times before, and continue to come back.Special Features:
- Upper East Side GemFernDined on 6/27/2014Consistently delicious well prepared food in a chic setting for brunch, lunch or dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food a huge disappointmentfoodloverNYCVIPDined on 6/26/2014We were surprised at how mediocre the food was. Kale salad was bland and nondescript, no acid zing, hardly any discernible salt to bring the flavors out. Parmesan-crusted chicken sounded great but was overcooked, dry, boring. Partner's roast chicken even more dry and ordinary. On the plus side: Lovely dining room with a lively but not deafening hum, and well-meaning if slightly solicitous servers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/25/2014First class service, somewhat overpriced, unexciting menu but decent food. Lovely room with skylight.
- GreatMadgeDined on 6/19/2014The food , service,atmosphere always wonderful. Active atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebratory LuncheonMoniqueVIPDined on 6/11/2014Very nice lunch venue for a special occasion. The food is SINFULLY good!Special Features:
- Sceney UESJeevesVIPDined on 6/11/2014Great food from JG. Great setting from The Mark Hotel. Class act.Special Features:
- Lunch at The MarkVANESSANYCDined on 6/10/2014I had a fabulous time for lunch at The Mark. The salmon pizza was delightful and so was the truffle Burger. Always A+ when Jean-Georges is in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Breakfast treatsGingerVIPDined on 6/5/2014Good variety of usual breakfast fare, beautifully served and bountiful.
- Bad Service + mediocre food=bad!!!!UesdinerVIPDined on 5/30/2014The food is ok - though certainly not worth the outrageous prices. Entrees are $40-50, appetizers are tiny and are $20+. A glass of wine is $17. Basically it is impossible to eat for less than $100 per person with tip. But that is not the real issue. The real issue is that the service sucks. For the third time that we have eaten there the mains took 45 mins to arrive and then the side dishes took another 5 minutes and were cold(!). The waiter was very nice. But after he took our order was never to be seen again pretty much. A glass of wine that was asked for never arrived. Unless you have money to burn and don't care about waiting forever for your food and have waiters that forget you exist I would not go there.