The Marine Room
2000 Spindrift Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Global, InternationalPrice: $50 and over
The Marine Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marineroom.com/
- Phone: 8584597222x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Daily: 4 p.m. to Close
Sunday to Friday: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Featuring Appetizers from our lounge menu at $10 each.
Select glasses of wine and well cocktails at $8 each.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Bernard Guillas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Marine Room
For generations of San Diegans, the “Seahorse” symbol of The Marine Room has long stood for its dramatic on-the-surf location and award-winning cuisine by Executive Chef Bernard Guillas and Chef de Cuisine Ron Oliver. Considering this rare blend of culinary excellence, uncompromising service and beachfront setting, it’s no wonder The Marine Room has become a true San Diego landmark. Simply stated, this is fine dining at its finest. Opened in 1941, The Marine Room quickly became famous as pounding surf created dramatic displays against the restaurant's windows. For more than half a century, celebrities, world figures, residents, and visitors have made it a habit to enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of the Pacific and exceptional cuisine. We invite you to San Diego's premier dining destination and experience how each tide brings something new to The Marine Room. You’re not reserving a table – you’re joining a 70-year tradition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Marine Room - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Marine Room reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (282)special occasion (263)romantic (234)fit for foodies (133)notable wine list (111)neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (49)hot spot (24)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (13)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Lovely View/Delicious FoodQueLindaDined on 10/19/2014The raspberry cocktail with tequila was so fresh tasting. The pompano fish and chicken were delicious. The Humboldt Fog Brulee and Prawns were fantastic! There is no better view in all of SD. Celebrating a birthday, it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoveMermaidDined on 10/18/2014Not sure how to enter the noise level ... less means less noise or less satisfactory. Entered the middle selection but reminisce how wonderful the dinner was and how nice a quiet it was. We could almost hear the waves. We were initially seated in a walkway but was moved to a small table with the front row seat to the waves. This made our evening very private and special. This was a birthday dinner and we were pleasantly surprised with an elegant birthday fruit tart without the embarrassing fanfare. The service was fantastic ... classy but not snobbish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing View!AmilyDined on 10/18/2014This is one of the best view for dining I've gone to. Being able to watch the ocean waves hit against the building was amazing. Being able to enjoy the waves while staying warm is one of the greatest joys.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014My husband & I had our 27th anniversary date here. Wanted somewhere right on the water and somewhere we had never been. The views were amazing, the food great, service excellent. Very $$$$ but sometimes you just gotta do it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob N.Robert2116Dined on 10/17/2014The Marine Room is located right on the beach with a spectacular view of the Pacific. This was my second visit. The view was the draw. On both trips the service tended to be somewhat impersonal. The staff was courteous and yet I somehow got the feeling their main mission was to get the customer in and out as soon as possible so to get more customers in. I did not consider the food as exceptional. The cost was about location. In defense of the Marine Room, I am sure the cost to maintain this restaurant is very expensive because of the location. Will I return? Maybe.Special Features:
- Disappointing Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014My wife and I made our second trip to the Marine Room with hopes that the first visit was a fluke. The service was great in the first 20 minutes, but after we placed our food order the server had a large table and all but completely forgot about us. The food was nothing special, my filet was overcooked and under-seasoned, but the server was unreachable for complaint, so I just ate it. My wife and I agreed the view is remarkable, but the value for your experience is limited to the view. We're very disappointed.Special Features:
- Favorite and ConsistantPekiVIPDined on 10/12/2014If you want a real WOW dinner, this is the place to go. Service, food choices and views are always perfect! We brought friends from out of town-their request (we took them here on their last trip). Our guest said it was the best filet he had this trip (and he had filet every night)!Special Features:
- Bland, bland, bland...TheFlavoristDined on 10/10/2014The service here was excellent and friendly and we were initially excited by the cheese plate appetizer, which had some striking and unusual flavor combinations. We were soon disappointed, however when the main course came out. I ordered the Pistachio Crusted Lamb Rack and my partner the Monkfish. Both dishes were presented artfully on the plate, but lacked any distinct cohesion of flavors or seasoning. Mostly, they seemed overcooked: the shrimp was rubbery and fishy, the monkfish also slightly rubbery and without any flavor save an initial fatty richness which also was characteristic of the lamb. I'm not sure what was going on that evening, as this restaurant had excellent reviews, but based on my experience I cannot recommend it.Special Features:
- Fancy and tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Tasty food that I never have experience has me wonder who chef are. Rare material like Kurobuta, Lotus and Shimeji and beautiful dishes shaped different let me imagine Asian chef may work on. For my curiosity please let me know who chef is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place.TPattDined on 10/4/2014I proposed to my fiancé here and the staff was more than helpful with my plans. The scene was amazing and perfect for her. She loves the beach and I'm afraid of the water, so being able to propose on the beach but inside was more than a perfect location for the both of us. Couldn't have found a better spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableEnjoyDined on 10/3/2014We were celebrating our anniversary. The server was nice. We received a free desert for the occasion. We were originally seated in a booth to the right of the entrance, however it was very noisy due to a large party in the same area, also this area is "lower" than main entrance so you are unable to see the waves meeting the sand. We asked for another table, and sat in the lounge area for dinner. While it was not as formal, there were less people and the view was FANTASTIC! We ordered the Chef's specials and were very pleased with our meals. Great presentation and flavorful. It would be nice if they offered more choice of Sauvignon Blanc wines. The two I tried were not so nice, one glass was not charged, and I was able to try another.Special Features:
- swankyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014Classy joint fit for any adult evening with a terrific menu and accompanying wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Marine RoomWelcomeHomeDined on 10/2/2014The Marine Room hits 5-stars. The food, service, and ambiance were outstanding. The food was delicious and excellently prepared to order. The wine list was robust and enjoyable. The staff was reserved and professional in their service. I terms of ambiance and romance, the view of the pacific ocean and moon shimmering off the sea just outside and lighting the beach below was glorious. Diner was followed by a romantic walk on the La Jolla cove beach directly outside. It was a magical evening,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2DelMar2DELMARDined on 10/1/2014Every time I am in San diego ,going for dinner at the Marine room it is always a must .It checks every box for an amazing evening.Special Features:
- Lovely experiencebabychopsDined on 10/1/2014Though they did not honor the extension of Restaurant Week (3 courses for $45, lobster was a $15 upgrade from Salmon, Diver Scallops, Pork Cheek, etc.) as stated by one of their chefs on the news, they did offer a Lobster night option for $50, $75 with wine paring - the lemon sauce was the best of 2, Pistachio crusted was the other spiny lobster offering and there was a Maine lobster option but we prefer spiny. It's something they do during the week as stated by our gracious waiter. Service is excellent as is the food. Beautiful presentation and the desert trilogy was amazing and the perfect finish! We opted to purchase their cook book which was signed as well. Can't wait to explore.Special Features:
- Happy AnniversaryRhonditaVIPDined on 9/29/2014Everything was great, except one thing. I noted on my open table reservation it was my husbands and I anniversary. We were seated at the worst table in the house by the hostess. We told our waiter who was amazing that we were very disapointed in our table and may not be staying. He was great he right away found us a sunset ocean view table. Not sure why the hostess could not of sat us there in the first place! We will go back! I do sugest if you are making your reservation on Open Tabel that you do call and confirm and insist you want ocean view table.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance - Rude ServerBoboDined on 9/29/2014The views outside the restaurant were spectacular. The Ambiance was stellar. Unfortunatey, the waiter was basically rude. We had a guest arrive and when I asked him to bring him water, the waiter insisted it was the glass in front of me which I had already drank from....Then the founder of our company order the beef and lobster and it was missing the beef. When we told the waiter, instead of apologizing, he said he never heard him ask for it. We all had as we all noticed his plate was missing the meat. I had asked for extra vegetables instead of grain and it came out as was on the menu insted. It appeared the waiter did not put my request though properly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPECIAL OCCASION REQUEST DENIEDOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I reserved a table 2 weeks in advance for a very special wedding anniversary. My wife and I were seated at a very far table against a brick wall directly below an A/C fan. I specifically indicated in the reservation about the special occasion. My request to be seated at another table was denied. In my opinion, that table was the worst location. It seems that they were fully booked that day, being a weekend and the last day of restaurant week. They should have at least been more considerate. The choices on the menu were very limited to the prices offered that week. Everyone was super busy because of the crowd. We had a very pleasant experience on the two previous occasions that we had dinner there, but this was definitely not a good one.Special Features:
- brantDined on 9/27/2014Great restaurant, good food, beautiful sunset and thoughtful service. Everything is perfect in Marineroom. Make a reservation before you go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceWineguyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Four of us dined here during Restaurant week and had a fantastic experience. They offered a great choice of appetizers and entrees and the service was excellent. The Salmon entrée was so good we all ordered and enjoyed it. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experienceCaligirl22Dined on 9/26/2014The Marine Room proved once again to be an excellent opportunity to show an out of town guest the food and scenery of La Jolla.Special Features:
- During Restaurant WeekHyRayVIPDined on 9/26/2014I love this restaurant and the way they dedicate their focus to restaurant week. The extra options for a fee is a nice idea. I often recommend newbies visit during this time but during restaurant week the service can feel a little rushed as compared to normal times but this never takes away from the quality of the food or the view.Special Features:
- memorable experienceTerryDined on 9/26/2014this was my first time to the Marine room, and it certainly lived up to its reputation. The service was top rated, from the valet service to the waiters. The view was breathtaking with the sunsetting over La Jolla making it even better. The dinner was a delicious melding of flavors, presented perfectly. I would highly recommend the Marine room for those occasions were you want a touch of something special. you wont be disappointed and will bring home some wonderful memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, fantastic viewDineDelionDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had not been on a date night in a while, and we rarely go to such an upscale venue. We really enjoyed every part of the meal - I had the filet mignon and my wife ordered the lobster. Both were upgrades from the fixed menu, and they were fantastic. Our server offered to answer any questions about the menu and smiled patiently as we reviewed our options. He made us feel welcome even though we didn't order alcohol and it was the start of a very busy Friday night during restaurant week. At over $80 for each of us, it was out of our budget, but the experience and my wife are worth every penny. The entire staff was very attentive and professional. We can't wait to go back next year. It's the start of a wonderful marriage tradition.Special Features:
- A perfect evening!jj1234Dined on 9/25/2014My friends and I visited during restaurant week. The view, food and service were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fare & an awesome view!CoreyDined on 9/25/2014Classic & creative nouvelle cuisine with a tropical beach view. The service & fare was excellent and I give The Marine room the highest of recommendations for both business and romantic dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningDelMarFITDined on 9/25/2014We thoroughly enjoyed out time at the Marine Room for Restaurant Week. Food was excellent, beverages excellent and superior service.Special Features:
- GreatexvellantDined on 9/24/2014the food is exceptional. The ocean view is great and the service precise.Special Features:
- DivineOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/24/2014Our restaurant week meal was divine. It was a fun ladies night, with a wonderful bottle of French red and buttery California white. I tried every dish on the table, and each and every bite was just superb. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- ServiceRoncloudDined on 9/24/2014Food-excellent. View-unsurpassed! Service-surprisingly bad. My wife and I were seated promptly,served water and bread and then sat for at least 10 minutes for our waiter. We wanted to order cocktails (that were outrageously priced,but that is another story) to cheer my wife's Birthday. The serving of bread should have come later. We ordered our drinks and enjoyed the wonderful view. We then placed our order with a very stuffy waiter. After we finished our drinks I usually drink water with dinner, and lots of it. The water server,twice,filled the waters at adjacent tables but not mine? It was a unsettling experience and I won't be coming back to the Marine Room.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014I have already said what I want to. No more accept this or I will not answereSpecial Features:
- Weren't disappointed!youngDined on 9/24/2014My husband was delighted that I had chosen the Marine Room to celebrate his 84th birthday. We love the view, the service, but particularly the food. There are many chefs who list exotic ingredients but do not know how to really get the flavors to blend perfectly. Your chefs have mastered this art. We were as pleased as always. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view; so-so foodOldnessDined on 9/24/2014This was our first (and last) visit to the Marine Room. In our opinion the restaurant is WAY over-priced and is living off its reputation (magnificent view of Pacific Ocean). The service was good (but not great). The food was a disappointment. The food was beautifully "plated" but nothing special. The desserts looked as if they had come off an assembly line.Special Features:
- Devine Dining!MykidsarecoolVIPDined on 9/23/2014This was an exceptional dining experience from beginning to end! Our server & chef paid special attention to my allergies and were amazingly accommodating! Will surely returnSpecial Features:
- An Old FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/23/2014We had such a wonderful dining experience at The Marine Room after being away for many years. The setting is always spectacular and the menu choices for Restaurant Week were all appealing and beautifully presented. Excellent service too! The challenge for one of our friends was navigating all the steps down and up to get to our table. Their handicap access is a long sloping walk out side which would eliminate one set of stairs. I didn't contemplate that there would be an issue. They need to mention upon making a reservation mention that there are several levels os stairs in the restaurant and it should also be noted on 'Open Table" .Special Features:
- Wonderful overall!EatingAroundDined on 9/22/2014Not having been to this La Jolla icon since the 80s (!) we went during Restaurant Week. Food was delicious and service impeccable. Three of us had all three of the offered entrees and enjoyed them. The wine list is huge; if you are serious download it ahead of time and study well. The Marine Room, of course, has hypnotic waves seen from almost every table. Although they light up the waves after dark, I almost think it's best to go just before sunset. The bar scene also looked interesting, so I hope to return sooner than 25 years next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breathless view....BennyDined on 9/22/2014What a nice time to spend time with my wife in this gorgeous breathless view that we have enjoyed. My recommendation is be there during sunset so might enjoy it more. Too bad for us we came in just a tud bit late so we only had a glimps of the sunset just for few seconds. The food is great just enough for you to get full and surprisingly taste awesome the salmon and scallops are just right consistency and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Sep 14RedSoxFanVIPDined on 9/22/2014Over twenty years between visits to this great La Jolla restaurant. Arrived in time for sunset with a clear horizon and high tide...picture postcard views. Boodles martini and a bottle of Far Niente chardonnay made this a memorable dining experience. Filets- perfect; pork cheeks- so tender and flavorful; scottish salmon- crisp topping and buttery fish. Hard to match at any other San Diego, or even LA restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Sunsets from here are unbeatable. And the atmosphere effective, wide open and feels just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014The view from the Restuarant was all it had going for it. Go to the bar & have a drink to see the view, then eat elsewhere. Our server (Hector- who was supposed to be the best) was completely disinterested in our being there, which only added to the cold feeling of the place. The food was cold & bland. We had a table at the window (best views of ocean waves coming against the building), and had 2 other tables on top of us, so you felt like everyone was together at one table. This was definitely our only poor dining experience during the five days in San Diego, and wouldn't be recommended by us to any friends or business associates.