The Marine Room
2000 Spindrift Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Global, InternationalPrice: $50 and over
The Marine Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marineroom.com/
- Phone: 8584597222x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Daily: 4 p.m. to Close
Sunday to Friday: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Featuring Appetizers from our lounge menu at $10 each.
Select glasses of wine and well cocktails at $8 each.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Bernard Guillas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Marine Room
For generations of San Diegans, the “Seahorse” symbol of The Marine Room has long stood for its dramatic on-the-surf location and award-winning cuisine by Executive Chef Bernard Guillas and Chef de Cuisine Ron Oliver. Considering this rare blend of culinary excellence, uncompromising service and beachfront setting, it’s no wonder The Marine Room has become a true San Diego landmark. Simply stated, this is fine dining at its finest. Opened in 1941, The Marine Room quickly became famous as pounding surf created dramatic displays against the restaurant's windows. For more than half a century, celebrities, world figures, residents, and visitors have made it a habit to enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of the Pacific and exceptional cuisine. We invite you to San Diego's premier dining destination and experience how each tide brings something new to The Marine Room. You’re not reserving a table – you’re joining a 70-year tradition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Marine Room - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Marine Room reviews from OpenTable diners
336 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (305)special occasion (276)romantic (252)fit for foodies (143)notable wine list (123)neighborhood gem (71)good for groups (52)great for brunch (23)hot spot (23)great for lunch (18)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- SPECIAL OCCASION REQUEST DENIEDOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I reserved a table 2 weeks in advance for a very special wedding anniversary. My wife and I were seated at a very far table against a brick wall directly below an A/C fan. I specifically indicated in the reservation about the special occasion. My request to be seated at another table was denied. In my opinion, that table was the worst location. It seems that they were fully booked that day, being a weekend and the last day of restaurant week. They should have at least been more considerate. The choices on the menu were very limited to the prices offered that week. Everyone was super busy because of the crowd. We had a very pleasant experience on the two previous occasions that we had dinner there, but this was definitely not a good one.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great restaurant, good food, beautiful sunset and thoughtful service. Everything is perfect in Marineroom. Make a reservation before you go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceWineguyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Four of us dined here during Restaurant week and had a fantastic experience. They offered a great choice of appetizers and entrees and the service was excellent. The Salmon entrée was so good we all ordered and enjoyed it. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- During Restaurant WeekHyRayVIPDined on 9/26/2014I love this restaurant and the way they dedicate their focus to restaurant week. The extra options for a fee is a nice idea. I often recommend newbies visit during this time but during restaurant week the service can feel a little rushed as compared to normal times but this never takes away from the quality of the food or the view.Special Features:
- memorable experienceTerryDined on 9/26/2014this was my first time to the Marine room, and it certainly lived up to its reputation. The service was top rated, from the valet service to the waiters. The view was breathtaking with the sunsetting over La Jolla making it even better. The dinner was a delicious melding of flavors, presented perfectly. I would highly recommend the Marine room for those occasions were you want a touch of something special. you wont be disappointed and will bring home some wonderful memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, fantastic viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had not been on a date night in a while, and we rarely go to such an upscale venue. We really enjoyed every part of the meal - I had the filet mignon and my wife ordered the lobster. Both were upgrades from the fixed menu, and they were fantastic. Our server offered to answer any questions about the menu and smiled patiently as we reviewed our options. He made us feel welcome even though we didn't order alcohol and it was the start of a very busy Friday night during restaurant week. At over $80 for each of us, it was out of our budget, but the experience and my wife are worth every penny. The entire staff was very attentive and professional. We can't wait to go back next year. It's the start of a wonderful marriage tradition.Special Features:
- A perfect evening!jj1234Dined on 9/25/2014My friends and I visited during restaurant week. The view, food and service were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fare & an awesome view!CoreyDined on 9/25/2014Classic & creative nouvelle cuisine with a tropical beach view. The service & fare was excellent and I give The Marine room the highest of recommendations for both business and romantic dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningDelMarFITDined on 9/25/2014We thoroughly enjoyed out time at the Marine Room for Restaurant Week. Food was excellent, beverages excellent and superior service.Special Features:
- GreatexvellantDined on 9/24/2014the food is exceptional. The ocean view is great and the service precise.Special Features:
- DivineOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/24/2014Our restaurant week meal was divine. It was a fun ladies night, with a wonderful bottle of French red and buttery California white. I tried every dish on the table, and each and every bite was just superb. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- ServiceRoncloudDined on 9/24/2014Food-excellent. View-unsurpassed! Service-surprisingly bad. My wife and I were seated promptly,served water and bread and then sat for at least 10 minutes for our waiter. We wanted to order cocktails (that were outrageously priced,but that is another story) to cheer my wife's Birthday. The serving of bread should have come later. We ordered our drinks and enjoyed the wonderful view. We then placed our order with a very stuffy waiter. After we finished our drinks I usually drink water with dinner, and lots of it. The water server,twice,filled the waters at adjacent tables but not mine? It was a unsettling experience and I won't be coming back to the Marine Room.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014I have already said what I want to. No more accept this or I will not answereSpecial Features:
- Weren't disappointed!youngDined on 9/24/2014My husband was delighted that I had chosen the Marine Room to celebrate his 84th birthday. We love the view, the service, but particularly the food. There are many chefs who list exotic ingredients but do not know how to really get the flavors to blend perfectly. Your chefs have mastered this art. We were as pleased as always. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view; so-so foodOldnessDined on 9/24/2014This was our first (and last) visit to the Marine Room. In our opinion the restaurant is WAY over-priced and is living off its reputation (magnificent view of Pacific Ocean). The service was good (but not great). The food was a disappointment. The food was beautifully "plated" but nothing special. The desserts looked as if they had come off an assembly line.Special Features:
- Devine Dining!MykidsarecoolVIPDined on 9/23/2014This was an exceptional dining experience from beginning to end! Our server & chef paid special attention to my allergies and were amazingly accommodating! Will surely returnSpecial Features:
- Wonderful overall!EatingAroundDined on 9/22/2014Not having been to this La Jolla icon since the 80s (!) we went during Restaurant Week. Food was delicious and service impeccable. Three of us had all three of the offered entrees and enjoyed them. The wine list is huge; if you are serious download it ahead of time and study well. The Marine Room, of course, has hypnotic waves seen from almost every table. Although they light up the waves after dark, I almost think it's best to go just before sunset. The bar scene also looked interesting, so I hope to return sooner than 25 years next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breathless view....BennyDined on 9/22/2014What a nice time to spend time with my wife in this gorgeous breathless view that we have enjoyed. My recommendation is be there during sunset so might enjoy it more. Too bad for us we came in just a tud bit late so we only had a glimps of the sunset just for few seconds. The food is great just enough for you to get full and surprisingly taste awesome the salmon and scallops are just right consistency and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Sep 14RedSoxFanVIPDined on 9/22/2014Over twenty years between visits to this great La Jolla restaurant. Arrived in time for sunset with a clear horizon and high tide...picture postcard views. Boodles martini and a bottle of Far Niente chardonnay made this a memorable dining experience. Filets- perfect; pork cheeks- so tender and flavorful; scottish salmon- crisp topping and buttery fish. Hard to match at any other San Diego, or even LA restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Sunsets from here are unbeatable. And the atmosphere effective, wide open and feels just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014The view from the Restuarant was all it had going for it. Go to the bar & have a drink to see the view, then eat elsewhere. Our server (Hector- who was supposed to be the best) was completely disinterested in our being there, which only added to the cold feeling of the place. The food was cold & bland. We had a table at the window (best views of ocean waves coming against the building), and had 2 other tables on top of us, so you felt like everyone was together at one table. This was definitely our only poor dining experience during the five days in San Diego, and wouldn't be recommended by us to any friends or business associates.
- Amazing food and viewAmyMVIPDined on 9/21/2014My fiancé and I attended during restaurant week, when arriving there was some confusion with our reservation by the hostess staff but we were still sat at a beautiful table just as the sun was setting. We were greeted and served relatively fast. The food was once again just as phenomenal as the view!!! The prawn and chowder starters were delicious. The scallop and filet entrees were even better! The only disappointment was the service, plates took extremely long to be cleared, water to be filled, and we just kind of felt overlooked all night. The food and view will bring us back but service might need to step it up a tad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Viewhonu09Dined on 9/21/2014Beautiful location right by the ocean. Compared to Truluck's or Donovan's, the food was not as good. We went during restaurant week, and was hoping that the main menu would also be available. It was very busy and felt a bit cramped with all the tables filled. We did upgrade to the lobster and filet mignon, which we were told were the specialties of the place. The lobster was cooked perfectly but the filet mignon was a little dry. Dessert was good with the trio, but there was a very hard white mint tasting garnish on the mousse that was pretty inedible.Special Features:
- Best steak I've ever had!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014I'm still drooling and glad I snapped a pic of my meal to remember all the perfectly balanced flavors. Restaurant week brought me in as a new customer. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodgoninersDined on 9/21/2014had an early dinner.Food was fabulous .the only issue was a hair found in my fiancé s appetizer.Let the server know and it was taken care of.Just wish the upgrade price for the meals we wanted were way higher than the usual prices on restaurant week.I sent them a note to say we were celebrating our engagement and still got sat in the corner with the view of a wall for me and the beach for my girl. Don't get me wrong the food and service were phenomenal. just expected better for what it cost.Special Features:
- marine room delivers!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014Beautiful place to have a great dining experience- always a favorite, never, never disappointed!!Special Features:
- Delicious and beautifulSDdinerDined on 9/21/2014We really enjoyed celebrating our anniversary at the Marine Room. The food was delicious, the service was great and the view was fabulous. The San Diego Restaurant Week menu was great, we both opted for the entree upgrades to filet and lobster.Special Features:
- Five-star ExperienceeeeemaDined on 9/20/2014We have been to the Marine Room a few times before and it's always been very good. This past experience was above and beyond, perfect in every way. We were seated promptly at a prime table with ocean views. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about both the dinner and wine menus. Every dish was spectacular in both presentation and taste. Our salad had a goat cheese brulee that was incredibly rich and creamy. The chocolate truffles at the end were sublime.Special Features:
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014The best caesar salad I ever had, and the service was perfect. Wonderful evening as usual.Special Features:
- All That Glitters..smoochDined on 9/14/2014The Marine Room has a stellar reputation for their chef and food and rightly so. When fine dining and paying for it, you expect impeccable service. This was not the case here. Waiter was harried and preoccupied. Food runners and busboys were careless and there was a total lack of attention to detail by all of the table personnel. There are other choices for fine dining where you will receive the service you are paying for. The food was very well prepared and lives up to its reputation. The hostess was welcoming with good eye contact and a warm smile. The table was ready for us upon our arrival. After that, besides the gorgeous view, the service was lacking.Special Features:
- A good time was had by all...greatspotDined on 9/13/2014I have been to your restaurant many times and each time it exceeds my expectations. The only reason for the very good food remark is that our Caesar Salad was overdressed. We informed the staff, and fresh salad arrived...we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014It's been about 10 years since our last visit and we were very impressed. The dusk view is amazing, but more amazing was the food and service. Much better than expected and it tells us we should dine here more often. We had two great fish dishes, the list of wines by the glass had several gems, and a shared rhubarb tart was awesome - overall we had a fantastic time and will be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jschoicejschoiceDined on 9/11/2014Beautiful interior and waterfront view of Pacific Ocean. Food was and has always been fantastic. From the salads, filet mignon and Ahi to the must try chocolate pyramid dessert. One of San Diego/La Jolla's best if not the best dining experience.Special Features:
- Elegant Marine RoomJoyceVIPDined on 9/8/2014Celebrated a 70th birthday with a group of women. We dined on a Monday night for "lobster night". The food was phenomenal (lobster bisque, lobster tail with pistachio cream sauce, and a trio of desserts) as was the sunset view. When the sun sets the outside lights go on, shining on the waves as they crash into the windows. You feel as if you are on a boat. There is no place in San Diego that is this close to the waves. Our waiter, Zac, was very attentive and we were able to sit long after our meal was finished without feeling rushed. The Marine Room is a very special restaurant and we all would give it five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!StenchDined on 9/7/2014If you designed the perfect setting, with unbelievable food, and superb service, the Marine Room is the place. Add on the waves crashing against the windows to add to the perfection, this is the place!Special Features:
- great views & excellent foodBudWDined on 9/7/2014a traditional restaurant that manages to stay current. The food is always very good and the service flawless. This time was no exception; we went for their "high tide" dinner and had a top notch experienceSpecial Features:
- amazingTony32Dined on 9/6/2014The view caught me from the moment we entered. The bar was a great place to sit and sip while waiting for our reserved time. We were sat at our table by the window. Such an amazing view of the waves crashing together and against the building at high tide. The ambiance was relaxing and intimate. The food was spectacular. My only issue would be the parking situation, but valet is available. Thank you for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place to be!SlowfoodfanDined on 9/6/2014The Marine Room is a long standing favorite of ours for special occassions. This time, we went there for my husband's birthday. It was perfekt: high tide, the sunset, and the perfekt table (as requested) right by the window. We had champagne, a great dinner, the full attention of the wait staff and personal recommendations of the somelleir for the wine we chose to accompany our meal. I especially like the "slow" service which means to me that there is enough time between courses to enjoy what we were eating and to savor the memory of it before the next course. Besides, I want to enjoy the environment, appreciate the ambiance and have dinner with conversation. No hurry here!Special Features:
- A satisfied guestmaestroDined on 9/6/2014A spectacular experience all the way around: food, service, view, etc. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Booked high tide dinner for special Anniversery dinner. Window table was perfect, view was amazing, food exceeded expectations and service on par with a 5 star rating. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.