The Marine Room
2000 Spindrift Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Global, InternationalPrice: $50 and over
The Marine Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marineroom.com/
- Phone: (858) 459-7222
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Daily: 4 p.m. to Close
Sunday to Friday: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Featuring Appetizers from our lounge menu at $10 each.
Select glasses of wine and well cocktails at $8 each.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Bernard Guillas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Marine Room
For generations of San Diegans, the “Seahorse” symbol of The Marine Room has long stood for its dramatic on-the-surf location and award-winning cuisine by Executive Chef Bernard Guillas and Chef de Cuisine Ron Oliver. Considering this rare blend of culinary excellence, uncompromising service and beachfront setting, it’s no wonder The Marine Room has become a true San Diego landmark. Simply stated, this is fine dining at its finest. Opened in 1941, The Marine Room quickly became famous as pounding surf created dramatic displays against the restaurant's windows. For more than half a century, celebrities, world figures, residents, and visitors have made it a habit to enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of the Pacific and exceptional cuisine. We invite you to San Diego's premier dining destination and experience how each tide brings something new to The Marine Room. You’re not reserving a table – you’re joining a 70-year tradition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Marine Room - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Marine Room reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (267)special occasion (253)romantic (218)fit for foodies (123)notable wine list (113)neighborhood gem (61)good for groups (46)great for brunch (25)hot spot (20)great for lunch (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- SusanDined on 11/23/2014The Marine Room has it all - outstanding views, delicious food and old world service. From our window seat we had spectacular views of the sunset, surfers and beach walkers. The four of us particularly loved the angus beef cheeks appetizer, Caesar salad (made right by the table and best we've ever had!) and thick and rich lobster bisque. The dinners were delicious with ample portions and lovely presentations...almost too pretty to eat. After dinner they presented the two birthday girls with a yummy complimentary dessert. We've dined at the Marine Room several times before and have never been disappointed - we will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointingDianeDined on 11/20/2014We go to the Marine Room on the occasions we are in town. The restaurant is incredible as it is on the sand and the waves come right up to the building. Even after dark divers come up out of the water (researchers from Scripps Institute we suspect). The chefs have varied over the years. This visit we enjoyed a bottle of champagne. My husband had the filet and lobster which was well cooked. I had two appetizers. The "mushroom casserole" was served in a small casserole pot. It consisted of various sliced mushrooms with a few tasty pecan halves. After eating about a quarter of is I had had enough since there was no binder to give interest to the mushrooms. I also had the crab cake. It was ok. I guess I wasn't very excited about the flavor of the sauce. The items were well prepared. I had a hard time finding anything on the menu to get me excited. I guess my rating on the food could be better because we spent almost $300 for the experience (champagne $85) and I was expecting to be more wowed by the food. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable sights.NewcomerVIPDined on 11/19/2014We had a wonderful meal at The Marine Room. Our waiter was wonderful, the view was outstanding, just like sitting at the beach. The food was delicious. It was a bit pricey, but if you don't mind spending the money, then this is definitely a not to be missed meal if visiting San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 11/16/2014We had the Sunday night lobster special. Great food and value. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the wine paring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!JyllianDined on 11/15/2014My fiancé and I spent our anniversary night here. The view is amazing! The food was excellent. The service was great! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Inside and OutMaryVIPDined on 11/15/2014The Marine Room is probably the most iconic restaurant in San Diego County, having been in business since 1941. The view of the Pacific Ocean at your feet cannot be matched. The Marine Room shoots out high-powered lights so that the surf can be seen easily at night. On our night a beautiful great blue heron was wading in the surf just outside our window seat -- request window seating in your reservation. The food was wonderful. I had the diver scallops and they could not have been better. My husband had the osso bucco and he said it was great too. The chef is renowned. The wine list is expansive although we chose to buy wine by the glass because we had ordered such different things. I had a viognier and my husband a zinfandel. This is a terrific place for a special occasion but we just decided to make this night special for us and it was. Warning that it is pricey but, for everything that you get, including the view, it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014Great food especially pistachio encrusted lamb. A bit musty. Perfect view. Try to schedule reservation just before sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Tide BrunchKaraDined on 11/9/2014I've eaten at the Marine Room a few times. Unfortunately, this was not my best visit. First, I was disappointed that the High Tide Brunch is different than their regular Sunday Brunch. There were hardly any seafood options. They had an omelet bar and standard breakfast food offerings, but it still seemed limited. Second, the service was seriously lacking. We were at a smaller table for two. They never cleared out plates from the first round, and there was no room to move the plates, so we ended up stacking for the second round. We had to flag a server repeatedly just to get a coffee and orange juice refill. 1. They were walking around with pitchers, but always seemed to miss us. 2. We flagged multiple times for a single refill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Tide Brunch was exceptional!!MisslissDined on 11/9/2014I am a local of La Jolla for over 25 years, and I have dined in restaurants with ocean views many, many times. But the High-Tide Brinch at the Marine Room was Over-the -Top spectacular. The food and service was excellent, and the ocean spasing the winndows was an unforgettable experience! I highly recommend the Marine Room. It was an exceptional experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We had a lovely time at The Marine Room....beautiful view, delicious food, and great friends to join us. (Special Features:
- Wonderful 50th BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Since there was no getting around turning 50, I decided to do it at a great restaurant. I was visiting San Diego and asked some friends what is a restraurant in San Diego with a good food, romantic, a good wine list and great seafood. The Marine Room was consistenly recommended. It was perfect.Special Features:
- Fantastic ChoiceTexasChick13Dined on 11/4/2014Made the reservation using Open Table. Kayla at the restaurant quickly called to confirm and finalize plans for a business dinner for 14 guests. I was personally not able to enjoy but I have had nothing but praise from the attendees. Location - Great and convenient to hotel; View - Outstanding; Food - Reports are "Over The Top"; Service - Top Notch - Overall experience - Five Star.Special Features:
- Resting on its laurelsBets5VIPDined on 11/3/2014The food does not live up to the descriptions, at all. The soup (Lobster Bisque, ordered by both of us in our party) was served lukewarm and with no discernible lobster present. Lamb chops were tough. Ahi Tuna had an oily and slightly odd flavor to it and was served on a raspberry flavored sauce not mentioned in the description. Most importantly, the server was bored and too self important to properly greet us and offer an explanation of the menu or descriptions of the menu items, until pressed to do so. This restaurant is grossly overpriced. Entrees, while nicely presented, need work. The menu, atmosphere and attitudes also all need work. The only thing they get right is the view, which is available all over town.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014My wife and I went here for the first time. Chad (our server) was a great host. Providing excellent recommendations on the menu items. We had the Filet and Lobster. Wonder food, great view, seated early and even got to watch a few divers coming in from a night dive. Very quiet and excellent seat (booth 65) is recommended.Special Features:
- Dinner with a viewFoodieDined on 11/2/2014The location is a little tricky to get to, but well worth the GPS entry. The staff is top notched and the food is outstanding. I dare you to find a restaurant of this caliber closer to the ocean. They always do a good job at my seating requests so we can catch the sunsets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantRoscoeDined on 11/1/2014We dined here as friends were visiting from England. The staff was great. Our waiter was fantastic. The food was awesome. We couldn't have had a better experience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh... Food is ok.OxyehhoDined on 10/30/2014Great view and staff, food is ok and really overpriced.. But this is what you pay for a great view :)Special Features:
- Good quality but priceylal1Dined on 10/26/2014This restaurant has the best views! The food is good but so very expensive. The best deal is lobster night. 3 course lobster meal for $50. This can't be beat and it's delicious. If you enjoy the wine pairings it is $75. Makes for a wonderful night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticGiovanniVIPDined on 10/26/2014It's an amazing place. A+ Food, service and view... Any other word is useless. TOPSpecial Features:
- Awesome, Awesome, AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014That pretty much sums up our experience. Hector (our waiter) was excellent, the food to die for and the atmosphere remarkable. No need to say anymore!Special Features:
- Nice but could have better serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The place looks nice and tries to be very fancy but the food isn't that great for what is charged and I would expect better service then what we had. We had a reservation and had to wait more than 30mins to get our table even though many table were open. The hostess remembered no one's names and would ask again and again. There were often times I was waiting awhile to get a refill of coffee or needed to talk with someone and no one was around even though most of the tables were empty and it was only a buffet.Special Features:
- Great WavesYoungatheartDined on 10/26/2014Enjoyed the waves splashing up on the windows as we feasted on a great brunch at the Marine Room. Very entertaining to watch the water sweep up closer to the windows and we even saw a seal swim by us. Food was very good and a nice selection for various tastes. Can't wait to return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front of the house needs workSharonSDined on 10/26/2014I don't know if it's just our luck, but the last two times we've had reservations here we waited 45 minutes to be seated. I need to mention that we were not alone, there were others also waiting. Particularly frustrating because we could see empty tables. That said, the food was excellent as usual. Our omelette was particularly tasty and we enjoyed the variety of salads.Special Features:
- High tide breakfast treatDelishdelightsVIPDined on 10/25/2014It was our first am in san dieGo we come from the east coast I found this two nights before we were comin on vaca...what a great find and great thing to see and be a part of. The breakfast was amazing the spread they have was amazing..overlooking the waves and eating such good food was a great especially since we were celebrating my dads 60th..service was just right. French toast brioche made with grand mariner was awesome they have an omelette station..unlimited o.j coffees..pastries..u name it they had it..I would recommend this to anyone what a treat.Special Features:
- great High Tide BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014What a great way to celebrate my birthday -- brunch during High Tide, with the water literally spashing the window adjacent to our table, graciously enlarged to accommodate extra people who arrived unexpectedly, and with more food than any of us could reasonably eat!Special Features:
- Never disappointedFoodieDined on 10/24/2014This was our second time visiting The Marine room and everything from the ambience to the service to the food was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningWindsorCTreviewDined on 10/24/2014The Marine Room lives up to its reputation for the unmatched view which supports a romantic dinner. Was not impressed (at all actually) by the crab cake app, but the main course and dessert were very good. Slightly pricey given the disappointing app, however, overall, very good evening and somewhere to visit a couple times a year for notable occasions.Special Features:
- MarineDined on 10/24/2014The view is the best in la jolla but the food tends to be less outstanding as the view. Even though the food is tastes not that great, the good service and view definitely compensate for that. Even though the food is less attractive, I still will bring my friends and family here to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KBinCasperKBinCasperDined on 10/19/2014I made reservations hoping it would live up to the other reviews. It was a wonderful place! We went on a Sunday evening and requested the lobster special menu-it wasn't offered up front, but it gives a choice of your soup or salad, lobster prepared three different ways, and then the dessert sampler with three great desserts, all for $45! We were told the lobster was the same size as the other menu. NOTHING was a disappointment-perfect! I also wondered if the restaurant would look old, as some do after being around so long, but that was NOT the case. The view was amazing while watching the sun set & the tide rise-coming clear up to the building and splashing on the windows-very safe with aquarium glass. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Lovely View/Delicious FoodQueLindaDined on 10/19/2014The raspberry cocktail with tequila was so fresh tasting. The pompano fish and chicken were delicious. The Humboldt Fog Brulee and Prawns were fantastic! There is no better view in all of SD. Celebrating a birthday, it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoveMermaidDined on 10/18/2014Not sure how to enter the noise level ... less means less noise or less satisfactory. Entered the middle selection but reminisce how wonderful the dinner was and how nice a quiet it was. We could almost hear the waves. We were initially seated in a walkway but was moved to a small table with the front row seat to the waves. This made our evening very private and special. This was a birthday dinner and we were pleasantly surprised with an elegant birthday fruit tart without the embarrassing fanfare. The service was fantastic ... classy but not snobbish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing View!AmilyDined on 10/18/2014This is one of the best view for dining I've gone to. Being able to watch the ocean waves hit against the building was amazing. Being able to enjoy the waves while staying warm is one of the greatest joys.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014My husband & I had our 27th anniversary date here. Wanted somewhere right on the water and somewhere we had never been. The views were amazing, the food great, service excellent. Very $$$$ but sometimes you just gotta do it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob N.Robert2116Dined on 10/17/2014The Marine Room is located right on the beach with a spectacular view of the Pacific. This was my second visit. The view was the draw. On both trips the service tended to be somewhat impersonal. The staff was courteous and yet I somehow got the feeling their main mission was to get the customer in and out as soon as possible so to get more customers in. I did not consider the food as exceptional. The cost was about location. In defense of the Marine Room, I am sure the cost to maintain this restaurant is very expensive because of the location. Will I return? Maybe.Special Features:
- Disappointing Food and ServicemnfoodieDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I made our second trip to the Marine Room with hopes that the first visit was a fluke. The service was great in the first 20 minutes, but after we placed our food order the server had a large table and all but completely forgot about us. The food was nothing special, my filet was overcooked and under-seasoned, but the server was unreachable for complaint, so I just ate it. My wife and I agreed the view is remarkable, but the value for your experience is limited to the view. We're very disappointed.Special Features:
- Favorite and ConsistantPekiVIPDined on 10/12/2014If you want a real WOW dinner, this is the place to go. Service, food choices and views are always perfect! We brought friends from out of town-their request (we took them here on their last trip). Our guest said it was the best filet he had this trip (and he had filet every night)!Special Features:
- Bland, bland, bland...TheFlavoristDined on 10/10/2014The service here was excellent and friendly and we were initially excited by the cheese plate appetizer, which had some striking and unusual flavor combinations. We were soon disappointed, however when the main course came out. I ordered the Pistachio Crusted Lamb Rack and my partner the Monkfish. Both dishes were presented artfully on the plate, but lacked any distinct cohesion of flavors or seasoning. Mostly, they seemed overcooked: the shrimp was rubbery and fishy, the monkfish also slightly rubbery and without any flavor save an initial fatty richness which also was characteristic of the lamb. I'm not sure what was going on that evening, as this restaurant had excellent reviews, but based on my experience I cannot recommend it.Special Features:
- Fancy and tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Tasty food that I never have experience has me wonder who chef are. Rare material like Kurobuta, Lotus and Shimeji and beautiful dishes shaped different let me imagine Asian chef may work on. For my curiosity please let me know who chef is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place.TPattDined on 10/4/2014I proposed to my fiancé here and the staff was more than helpful with my plans. The scene was amazing and perfect for her. She loves the beach and I'm afraid of the water, so being able to propose on the beach but inside was more than a perfect location for the both of us. Couldn't have found a better spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableEnjoyDined on 10/3/2014We were celebrating our anniversary. The server was nice. We received a free desert for the occasion. We were originally seated in a booth to the right of the entrance, however it was very noisy due to a large party in the same area, also this area is "lower" than main entrance so you are unable to see the waves meeting the sand. We asked for another table, and sat in the lounge area for dinner. While it was not as formal, there were less people and the view was FANTASTIC! We ordered the Chef's specials and were very pleased with our meals. Great presentation and flavorful. It would be nice if they offered more choice of Sauvignon Blanc wines. The two I tried were not so nice, one glass was not charged, and I was able to try another.Special Features: